Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
The Just Cause 3 wingsuit is way more fun than firefall gliders, and that was the biggest thing that kept me coming back anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey guys. Guess what landed on the Firefall PTS? loving Jetball. Hell yeah, PvP is back on PTS!

Also, Red 5 has some goals for the new combat experience. They are as follows:

"Red 5 Studios posted:

==GOAL:==
We want abilities to be fun, impactful, and used often. We feel that the prior cooldowns were much too restrictive, and this led to players ‘saving’ or forgetting about abilities, leading to repetitive gun-only combat.
==CHANGE:==
Ability cooldowns are being shortened by a huge amount.

We want playing each archetype to be fun, fast-paced, and feel unique. Movement is central to gameplay in Firefall, and we want to celebrate that! Each archetype’s movement ability will work differently and be fun in its own way.
Each archetype’s base battleframe (Assault, Recon, Dreadnought, Engineer, Biotech) will have a movement ability. (Example: Assault’s Movement Ability is Afterburner.)

Many battleframe passives were confusing, overly complex, or really didn’t add much to gameplay. We’re trying to instead make the frames feel different and fill their roles through wider differences in their base stats and through the active abilities that they gain access to.
Battleframe ‘passives’ are being removed and replaced with boosts to base battleframe statistics, such as jet energy or health. (Example: Assault’s extra healing from health powerups, or Dreadnaught’s extra health regeneration at low health)

The first battleframes to change due to these new goals are the Assault frames. I was going to make a post about the changes, but they are too amazing to easily include here and it was turning into just a massive copy/paste. So seriously, read them here:
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/combat-iteration-and-battleframe-changes-%E2%80%93-new-pts-build.7022421/

Basically, Assault sounds kinda fun. Like, 12 second base cooldown Afterburner fun. And a new Crater with control and the ability to be used as a movement ability. Holy poo poo all these Assault archtype changes sound amazing.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 18, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm cautiously optimistic. I've put too much time into FF and had too much fun with it in the past to watch it rot.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I really don't think that make an entirely different game with completely different mechanics is the way to go. That was why PVP failed the first time, they were trying to make 2 parallel games.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

eSporks posted:

I really don't think that make an entirely different game with completely different mechanics is the way to go. That was why PVP failed the first time, they were trying to make 2 parallel games.

Yeah, but they tried having PvE and PvP share the same weapons and abilities and, quite frankly, it was a mess. I don't know if you played a bunch on Broken Peninsula, but some ability/perk/module combinations could get insane. And every time they tried to balance poo poo, PvE players would have an absolute fit. MAH FUN YOUR RUINING MAH FUN R5! I think having separate PvP equipment and progression is the best way to go. You can get all the crazy 10 second cooldown abilities in PvE that you want and still make PvP fair and competitive.

There is currently one drawback to PvP: you have to have the frame unlocked in PvE in order to use it. That means that once you unlock an advanced frame, you lose the ability to use the Accord version in PvP. Eventually you'll have the ability to swap all your PvP equipment (currently you can only swap your secondary and auxiliary), but it is not yet implemented. :(

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
This may be when I come back... But next year they will say pvp sucks because people move too much and use too many abilities. And we won't have pvp any more :(

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Apparently the 1.6 patch is coming out in January. I somewhat feel they are going to cut things close. I mean, they are still doing big battleframe changes (they re-did Assault, Firecat, and Tigerclaw) and they still have all the other battleframes to go and they have about a month to do it. Plus there are still lots of bugs to fix all over the place. It's probably going to be a rough update.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
FF always talks a good game then you wake up with space herpes and your wallet is empty.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah all that has me even more concerned. True, movement is a big thing. Out of combat. In combat it comes down more to area denial, choke points and battlefield awareness. Movement abilities are fun but I wouldn't be caught dead with them on any frame I actively use. This is not Tribes, the game is somewhat more methodical, setting up your nest or yourself in the right spot is very often important and they don't seem to get that. Not like I was hoping for this to get anywhere near what I wanted ever again but this along with them killing Arsenal pretty much kills it.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Is this game still broke/empty? Is it worth a reinstall over the holidays?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

captain poopfister posted:

Is this game still broke/empty? Is it worth a reinstall over the holidays?

Probably not worth a reinstall, unless you want to install the PTS and check out what's coming sometime in January.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I hopped in today and it was completely empty, didn't see a single person which made the events I tried a complete bitch. Pubbies may not be good for much but they catch bullets for you just fine.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Morglon posted:

I hopped in today and it was completely empty, didn't see a single person which made the events I tried a complete bitch. Pubbies may not be good for much but they catch bullets for you just fine.

We should get a goon majority player base and make them stop destroying the game. Shoudlnt be hard at this point.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
That means we'd have to all start playing again and then saying we won't spend any more cash on it followed by still playing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Honestly doesn't really matter since that go anywhere do whatever the gently caress you want still progress and the deep as gently caress crafting system aren't coming back ever. Had they just stuck with something the game would be doing fine, not super great but it had a niche, things it did that nobody else did but they kind of hosed that up with all the revamps.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Honestly I've been playing this game for more than two years, and there have only been a few unfun patches. Now that the cooldown nazi is defeated, I'm extremely optimistic that this patch will be more fun than any since BWA was introduced.

The crafting has always been awful. If you ever liked it, you have bad opinions.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Actually being able to decide what kind of item you want and tanking certain stats on purpose so you can go all out on others that actually benefit your play style is completely above what other games usually do, even if it ends up just favoring one thing over another, choice is always a good thing that should be encouraged and be built upon instead of being cut for the sake of trying to appeal to the masses. If you still like the game good for you but I can go anywhere for a guided tour of forest world #69 but what I can't have is what the game originally gave me and I kind of resent it over that.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
It was hard to deny the power of a properly min-maxed JumpJet IV with a tanked Air Sprint stat- I think one of the other goons reffered to me as a Bastion Apache Helicopter, circlestrafing Tornados in midair for a good 20 seconds at a time. Unfortunately with that much choice, the Market Place had a hell of a time trying to keep up with user-friendliness and functionality.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Rocket boots and big guns, pretty much all I need in this game. A lot of the patches haven't been bad just reflective of a lack of direction, like having an indecisive girlfriend who is only good at telling you what she doesn't want for dinner but never offers an affirmative option.

My pc I originally played on has gone the way of the dodo, and a good patch/progress might get me to get a new one. The other alternative is that at the development cycle they are on, mobile tablets and devices might be powerful enough to run this by the time they get to launch 2.0

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Whoops.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...ued-at-45M.html

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Maybe the game will be put to a dignified death.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's way too late for dignified. The game has been torn apart, glued back together with a new coat of paint four or five times, there is nothing dignified about that. Can't say I didn't see it coming but it sucks for the people who put the actual work in and aren't at fault for all the complete redesigns.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Maybe they'll sell it off to another development team who will reinvent it again.

and again

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
PvP killed it again!

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I think maybe it was just a case of too little too late when it came to PVP

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
In any event it has been an honor gentlegoons.

http://i.imgur.com/aYJiiLp.gif

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I vote we disband the GOONs guilds and all start playing again under <RIP>

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

In any event it has been an honor gentlegoons.

http://i.imgur.com/aYJiiLp.gif

Hard to play violin when the boat's already been underwater for two years.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

So long sweet prince. :smith:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
That's what happens when you remove the Lemon King from the game.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Rip game. I guess I can stop waiting for them to pick a direction and stick with it to come back.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
RIP mullato bus

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Maybe they will sell the bus for cheap.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

precedence posted:

Maybe they will sell the bus for cheap.
Rent it off for some college student to live in for a semester. Guess the only other question is how long until a pay2win emulated server or another jumpjets for joy game comes around.
*Edit: Best of luck to all of the Red5 members though, they must be going through one hell of a poo poo time.

JonusRockweller fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 29, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefall/comments/3yhguu/red_5_employee_without_a_paycheck_here_ama/

lol

But I still feel bad for the goon employees of Red5. I still really like Firefall so it is sad it never succeeded.

EDIT: That AMA is pretty cool as people are telling how the Firefall story used to be before the recent rewrites. Like, who the Ascendant were and everything.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 29, 2015

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Thread title finally accurate.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Nalin posted:

But I still feel bad for the goon employees of Red5.

Are there many of us left? :tinfoil:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ville Valo posted:

Are there many of us left? :tinfoil:

Well, the only ones who ever came out as employees were you and the goon with the Tepig avatar (forget his name). Unless he left too.

It sucked that I left for Christmas holiday right after Jetball came out on PTS. Hopefully people are still playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Nalin posted:

Well, the only ones who ever came out as employees were you and the goon with the Tepig avatar (forget his name). Unless he left too.

It sucked that I left for Christmas holiday right after Jetball came out on PTS. Hopefully people are still playing it.

I *think* we have people playing Jetball, but it's only on PTS, where it can be tough to get two full teams. We're certainly playing it internally.

• Locked thread