Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm thinking of going from Modern BW to Mardu on MTGO and see Kolaghan's command is 17 tickets and rising. Is it realistic to think it will drop, or is it good enough in eternal formats I should just go for it? Rightly or wrongly people are talking about a Stoneforge Mystic unban, which would probably send it up and might be driving speculation now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Buying 6 copies of kolaghans command from the bulk bin was one of my better purchases.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Death Bot posted:

It's actually LSV and suicidesteve playing shops last night

Agreed. I love the Shops mirror. Even the "I'm heavily disadvantaged, playing a deck I'm not used to playing, and I'm playing it horribly because it's 2 AM and I'm tired" mirror. The Crucible-in-play-on-both-sides Shops mirror is Magic at its finest.

I have to go back and watch it and see how bad it was.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Agreed. I love the Shops mirror. Even the "I'm heavily disadvantaged, playing a deck I'm not used to playing, and I'm playing it horribly because it's 2 AM and I'm tired" mirror. The Crucible-in-play-on-both-sides Shops mirror is Magic at its finest.

I have to go back and watch it and see how bad it was.

If you get a link, I'm sure some of us would like a peek too :)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

Buying 6 copies of kolaghans command from the bulk bin was one of my better purchases.

Happily I got physical copies without issue shortly after Dragons.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ungulateman posted:

There isn't even a regular Mega Altaria card yet. :rip:

I actually quite like the Pokemon TCG, it's a significantly better online experience than MTGO and costs peanuts compared to trying to play Magic (especially since I'm outside the US). Is there a better thread to discuss it somewhere? I'm sick of going to 4chan to talk about a children's card game.

You can always make the thread. Heck, that's what I did when I found the previous Force of Will thread a bit lacking.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Serperoth posted:

If you get a link, I'm sure some of us would like a peek too :)

http://www.twitch.tv/lsv/v/30357482 - no idea about a timestamp though.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

I'm still kind of amazed that so many people didn't see Kolaghan's Command as obviously amazing. The power level isn't (quite) as high as Cryptic, but every single pair of modes on the card is a beating.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Frozen_flame posted:

1 hour 55 minutes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ungulateman posted:

There isn't even a regular Mega Altaria card yet. :rip:

What the gently caress, it's been a loving year since OR/AS. Give me the only valuable pokemon you've ever made!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Niton posted:

I'm still kind of amazed that so many people didn't see Kolaghan's Command as obviously amazing. The power level isn't (quite) as high as Cryptic, but every single pair of modes on the card is a beating.

I likened it to standard Jund-era blightning. My friend then said that in modern, it's just like BBE into blightning. Over and over again. :getin:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

C-Euro posted:

I think a lot of that is because Magic, having practically invented the TCG/CCG format, has the ~prestige~ to get away with a lot of that stuff (or at least thinks they do). Everyone who's into card games knows Magic, and their business model still appears to be a wild success for them. Until another game can challenge them in the physical space I don't think a lot will change, though if Hearthstone has the legs people say that it has (I've never played it) then you might see MTGO change in response, which I know a lot of people are hoping for.

I read this thread every single day, because magic (usually outside of standard tbh) is the most interesting tcg I know of.

I don't play the game anymore, and the last time I did was worth a friend's cube.

Meanwhile, I have spent $75 dollars on hearthstone and currently own all the non-f2p content, and have 4-5 tier 2 decks and more I could build, each a few weeks of funbux from being tier 1.

Magic just isn't worth my money, and even though people in this thread have said with enough work I could try to pack-to-power and get the cards I want to play, I was just able to do that with cards I got for free in hearthstone.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I love magic as a game, but the people are (as always) making me reconsider how much I want to play it. There's just so many people with ridiculous superstitions and lovely personalities that I can't hardly muster the desire to go to any event, and at least half the judges around here have the same problems. Just loving shuffle your cards like a real person, don't do a ten minute ritual "so it's more random" (because that's wrong) or "so [your] lands are more spread out" (because that's cheating) or "[you] just do better with this way" (because that's either or both of the previous). Don't shuffle and/or flick your cards in hand every half second, especially if you were just whinging on about how riffle shuffles hurt your cards (it doesn't unless you're bending the cards 10x harder than you would ever need to, much like you would to get that lovely snapping noise). Turn off your loving cell phone. You're so popular that you're at FNM instead of out with these people you can't stop texting for a full six seconds, congrats. Maybe, if that conversation on your phone is so important, you should drop and go have that talk unimpeded by others.

And for gently caress's sake, if I ask you politely to not do these things or any other thing that costs you nothing and makes our match more pleasant, just loving do it. Don't go into 15 minutes of "but whhhhhyyyyyyyy" and "but I'm allowed because it's not specifically prohibited" because that's poo poo too. I have nervous tics too, and if you ask me politely, I'll try my best to stop for the same reason: I want our games to be good games, and if you piss away half our match time on magical thinking and other bullshit, we have less time for magical playing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't play magic kids

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't play magic kids

One day I opened a pack and the next thing I knew, I had shot up my entire LGS.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What the gently caress, it's been a loving year since OR/AS. Give me the only valuable pokemon you've ever made!

Someone here isn't a fan of our lord and savior Primal Groudon.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Frozen_flame posted:

So after watching this I don't think I look as bad as I actually was, heh. Match 3 game 2, I just kinda forgot that I was removing a counter from my Tangle Wire and I only had to tap 4 things, which is why LSV conceded on the next turn when he wasn't dead. Twice I tapped my Workshop and passed the turn immediately, even though I had something to do. Turns out they haven't fixed this several year old F8 glitch where if you're F8ed (which auto-yields priority as long as you can't activate any abilities or play any cards) and you tap your Workshop for mana when it's your only source of mana, it just passes priority even if you have cards to play. Like somehow it doesn't count the Workshop mana as having the ability to cast spells. The first one didn't matter; it was just a SoFI into my empty board. The second one was after LSV's turn 1 Trinisphere Sphere I had a turn 1 Hangarback for 1, which MTGO decided I didn't actually want to cast. I'm not sure if it would have made a difference - I suspect not - but I definitely wasn't going to win without it.

Edit: Also in the game where he died to his Mana Crypt I'm pretty sure I didn't play a Wasteland with my Crucible which gave him several outs if he hadn't died to Crypt, so that was obviously terrible.

Tl;dr: Don't play MTGO at 2 AM.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 18, 2015

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like a fairly strong card in draft, I hope there are some cool cards showing up it pairs well with

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

This guy is a bad snapcaster mage but he's sick when you start looking at 3CMC cards to flash back for free. Anger of the Gods and KCommand look a lot more exciting on this guy than snapcaster.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I can't wait to cast Time Walk with that guy.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Living End could have some fun with him, I think.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Absolutely. 3 cmc is bonkers for any cascade deck. He plays nice with SSG too. I will be casting restore balances off this guy for days.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 18, 2015

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems like a fairly strong card in draft, I hope there are some cool cards showing up it pairs well with

That hits a sufficient array of powerful cards that it is probably playable in standard tbqh

menace is actually pretty relevant as the decks with 4/5s tend to just have one blocker at a time (especially after you cast what you hit with this)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Absolutely. 3 cmc is bonkers for any cascade deck. He plays nice with SSG too.

Well that and he can re-cast Living End after it plays him out of your yard.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
He's certainly cubeable but red creatures are stacked at that slot: Siege-gang, sarkhan, thundermaw, zealous conscripts, stormbreath, and this guy plus others I'm sure I'm forgetting. They should've made him a red three drop clearly.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

if there are two things I like its Goblins and spells so I'm already getting ready to order a play set.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

This with Kolaghan's Command alone is good enough to be standard playable. There are a lot of times where this is a much better Flametongue Kavu.

Exquisite Firecraft, Crackling Doom, Hordeling Outburst, Jeskai Charm, Dromoka's Command, Read the Bones... yeah

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Shortest Path posted:

Well that and he can re-cast Living End after it plays him out of your yard.

That seems like a bad course of action a majority of the time, though

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Holy loving poo poo. I designed a card almost exactly like this as my dream card. It fits right into Breakfast Burrito, flashback a Haunting Misery with it for a clean targeted kill.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

stinkles1112 posted:

This with Kolaghan's Command alone is good enough to be standard playable. There are a lot of times where this is a much better Flametongue Kavu.

Exquisite Firecraft, Crackling Doom, Hordeling Outburst, Jeskai Charm, Dromoka's Command, Read the Bones... yeah

The thought of flashing back Crackling Doom alone makes me excited.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I love my hosed up red Mulldrifter

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My hopes for UR Control being a thing are still alive and kicking, I see.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Chamale posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I designed a card almost exactly like this as my dream card. It fits right into Breakfast Burrito, flashback a Haunting Misery with it for a clean targeted kill.

It's also a creature with an Enters the Battlefield effect that allows you to cast Living End (or Restore Balance, etc.) from your graveyard. I have no idea if that's good, but it's definitely kind of hilarious.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Niton posted:

It's also a creature with an Enters the Battlefield effect that allows you to cast Living End (or Restore Balance, etc.) from your graveyard. I have no idea if that's good, but it's definitely kind of hilarious.

Sounds like the Recipe for "Creature That Goes in Living End" for those horrible situations where you actually Draw Living End.

Or you know, your opponent is playing Jund/Abzan and makes you pitch the Cascade spell that lets you Living End.

Reminder that it says may, so you don't have to recast that Living End if you Living End.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 18, 2015

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
self-mill into Exhume into second Exhume

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nothing on this card feels like it goes with anything else on the card, but somehow it's still pretty cool.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This guy feels like a super late design choice since there is nothing flavor-wise to show that Zendikar goblins have this kind of ability. :colbert:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Yawgmoth posted:

I love magic as a game, but the people are (as always) making me reconsider how much I want to play it. There's just so many people with ridiculous superstitions and lovely personalities that I can't hardly muster the desire to go to any event, and at least half the judges around here have the same problems. Just loving shuffle your cards like a real person, don't do a ten minute ritual "so it's more random" (because that's wrong) or "so [your] lands are more spread out" (because that's cheating) or "[you] just do better with this way" (because that's either or both of the previous). Don't shuffle and/or flick your cards in hand every half second, especially if you were just whinging on about how riffle shuffles hurt your cards (it doesn't unless you're bending the cards 10x harder than you would ever need to, much like you would to get that lovely snapping noise). Turn off your loving cell phone. You're so popular that you're at FNM instead of out with these people you can't stop texting for a full six seconds, congrats. Maybe, if that conversation on your phone is so important, you should drop and go have that talk unimpeded by others.

And for gently caress's sake, if I ask you politely to not do these things or any other thing that costs you nothing and makes our match more pleasant, just loving do it. Don't go into 15 minutes of "but whhhhhyyyyyyyy" and "but I'm allowed because it's not specifically prohibited" because that's poo poo too. I have nervous tics too, and if you ask me politely, I'll try my best to stop for the same reason: I want our games to be good games, and if you piss away half our match time on magical thinking and other bullshit, we have less time for magical playing.

The real reason that Patrick Sullivan is quitting is that he just couldn't stand to watch another pile shuffle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Nothing on this card feels like it goes with anything else on the card, but somehow it's still pretty cool.

I'm thinking Crackling Doom is good with this, or Kolaghan's Command. The option to return a creature from the yard to hand seems like there could be a lot of value in a graveyard/recursion strategy. I'm liking the prospective Mardu control deck I'm envisioning.

• Locked thread