Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Just picked up this game yesterday and it's pretty fun but I have a hard time understanding what everything in the mechlab means.

What is "Dynamic armor" that appears in some slots when you remove equipment?
What are the numbers above the different components (arms, legs, torso et.c.) that you can raise/decrease and why is there 2 of them on the torso parts?
What is the difference between AC/5 and Ultra AC/5? They seem almost identical but there is a big difference in price.

I'm running around like this right now: ENF-5P and I'm doing pretty well, probably because everyone else is as terrible as me I guess.

My in-game name is BeefySupreme if anyone wants to invite me to a group, I'm in the GMT timezone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ultras can be double-tapped, firing them a second time before the normal cooldown is done but with a chance to jam which takes some time to clear.

The dynamic armour/structure slots are from Endo Steel/Ferro Fibrous. They take up 7 (clan)/14 (IS) slots that will move out of the way when you place something, but only if there's room elsewhere in the mech for them to go.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

TjyvTompa posted:

Just picked up this game yesterday and it's pretty fun but I have a hard time understanding what everything in the mechlab means.

What is "Dynamic armor" that appears in some slots when you remove equipment?
What are the numbers above the different components (arms, legs, torso et.c.) that you can raise/decrease and why is there 2 of them on the torso parts?
What is the difference between AC/5 and Ultra AC/5? They seem almost identical but there is a big difference in price.

Your mech has a number of slots. Dynamic armor iirc means you have slots that need to be dedicated to armor but don't have a relevant position associated. They'll shift around as you put stuff in.

The numbers are your armor values (hit points) top means front bottom means back. Once those get shot through you start taking structure damage. It's why ingame your mech status as a line around you that will go yellow-to-red before your core does. Limbs don't have directionality.

ACs for IS fire a single shot. (Clan ACs fire multiple so it's like three shot burst doing 1.whatever when you pull the trigger.). UACs for IS and clan fire in bursts, so that damage is across a burst. Also you can "double tap" a UAC and fire it again before its cool down is over with a percentage chance that it might jam and get locked out for a bit.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 18, 2015

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thanks for the answers!

Is all this described in the game somewhere? Maybe there is more stuff I've missed that can be good to know?

Is it a bad idea to use as many AC guns as possible, like is there a difference between energy/ballistic damage or is it just damage numbers?
I'm thinking about maybe building something like this: KGC-000
Would that work or am I in noob-territory here?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks for the answers!

Is all this described in the game somewhere? Maybe there is more stuff I've missed that can be good to know?

Is it a bad idea to use as many AC guns as possible, like is there a difference between energy/ballistic damage or is it just damage numbers?

Ingame documentation exists, but it's bad.

That build looks fine, though i'm not an expert on crabs. Might be worth getting a case if you're storing all that ammo in the torso?

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 18, 2015

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Ballistic weapons deliver their damage up front. An Inner Sphere AC/5 will shoot a projectile that delivers 5 damage on impact, no questions asked. Clan ballistics, for the most part, spread their damage number over multiple projectiles, so they are more dakka-y than their IS versions. Ballistics are also the coolest, heat-wise (though aesthetic-wise also works :v:), so you can get away with using single heat sinks on a ballistic build. This is balanced by ballistics having projectile speed/time to impact, so you need to lead your shots if firing at a moving target; nasty tonnage/space requirements, often limiting what you can load on your robot; and being prone to exploding due to ammo (or an explosive Gauss Rifle).

Energy weapons, like lasers, often have a "burn time", or laser duration. That's how long a laser is active to deliver its full load of damage. They are hitscan so you will hit what's under your reticule, but if you're not good at keeping on target you will do less damage to the intended component and/or spread that damage around to other components. Energy weapons also generate ungodly amounts of heat that practically necessitate double heat sinks. Still, they don't cost ammo and if your aim is good you won't miss ballistics.

PPCs are the oddball in that they operate more like ballistics, except trading off the space/tonnage/ammo drawbacks for heat, lots of heat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is there a good build for a cicada 3c?

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks for the answers!

I am in noob-territory, but all UAC build is working great for me. It's best at close-medium distance, where all you need is to point your autocannons at enemies' CTs and they just melt under constant barrage.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks for the answers!

The 4 UAC crab is good if you're going for raw damage. Drop the laser probably. Maybe support medium lasers or more ammo or a larger engine but the large laser is too heavy and hot. The armor upgrade endo-steel is better than Ferro-fibrous always. Have double heatsinks in everything.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=238&l=f6d9a56211a6d8186de98f1f09e3c0c4c7c92e5e or drop the medium lasers and heat sinks and go for a bigger engine.

The UAC crab is bad on paper because it's a facetank mech and those aren't good when compared to a twist and shoot mech but the UAC crab is still able to put out a lot of damage so it can overcome that.

Something like this is probably the best crab build overall for when you are looking to get another crab http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=239&l=c4600f9729bac43b6bc3af727d8d4a329b259109 or some SRM based crab

AC/20 and 3 LPL on one side allows you to shield with one side, turn to shoot and then turn to shield again. The best mechs are good at rolling damage across multiple components and protecting important components well. Variants will matter and the 0000 is better at that build than other crabs because it has laser duration quirks. Since you'll have to get 3 variants with every mech to elite them you should remember to get the ones with the best hardpoints, quirks or both.

For overall weapon balance lasers are the best weapon right now. Gauss rifles are really good, too. Autocannons have some good builds and right now SRMs are really strong. Avoid LRMs like the plague. They are bad and teach terrible habits.

If you're still new to the game you might want to put an assault on hold because they're expensive and they're slow enough to get left behind and if you don't know the maps well enough you could get into bad positions often.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 18, 2015

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thank you all for the great help! I didn't notice the King Crab was an assault mech so I think I will stay with medium and heavy mechs until I learn the game some more. Feel like I would be a liability in an assault mech before I know how to play properly.

Great tip about having all weapons on one side so you can shield with the other, didn't think about that. Right now most of my engagements just end up with me and some other noob facing each other slugging it out and since I use AC's I guess I have an advantage in that I don't get overheated.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TjyvTompa posted:

Thank you all for the great help! I didn't notice the King Crab was an assault mech so I think I will stay with medium and heavy mechs until I learn the game some more. Feel like I would be a liability in an assault mech before I know how to play properly.

Great tip about having all weapons on one side so you can shield with the other, didn't think about that. Right now most of my engagements just end up with me and some other noob facing each other slugging it out and since I use AC's I guess I have an advantage in that I don't get overheated.

The easiest trick to give you an advantage over other new players is just to turn aside when you're not actively firing on your target. It's way better to shoot, twist, wait for weapons to cycle then twist back and shoot than it is to stare your target down and give them free shots on your centre torso.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The bigger advantage if you're just standing there slugging it out is that ACs deliver their damage up front in concentrated bursts. Your damage will add up faster than his lasers unless you're actually just both sitting there motionless.

I think I just ran into the ultimate pubby Atlas. 2 medium pulse lasers, 2 LRM 15s. And he never used the pulse lasers, he just sat waaaay back and fired off crappy LRM salvos. :saddowns: I don't know what the lightest mech is that could carry that armament, but a stock Mad Cat would carry significantly more by itself off the top of my head.

[EDIT] Well, you could fit it on a Trebuchet pretty easily. That would be literally half the tonnage of an Atlas.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 18, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zaodai posted:

The bigger advantage if you're just standing there slugging it out is that ACs deliver their damage up front in concentrated bursts. Your damage will add up faster than his lasers unless you're actually just both sitting there motionless.

I think I just ran into the ultimate pubby Atlas. 2 medium pulse lasers, 2 LRM 15s. And he never used the pulse lasers, he just sat waaaay back and fired off crappy LRM salvos. :saddowns: I don't know what the lightest mech is that could carry that armament, but a stock Mad Cat would carry significantly more by itself off the top of my head.

[EDIT] Well, you could fit it on a Trebuchet pretty easily. That would be literally half the tonnage of an Atlas.

The default trebuchet 3c is actually more heavily armed. And the hunchback 4j isn't far off.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Dropping solo makes me feel like fuckin Rambo. Since I just came back, I'm super scrub tier; and even if I'm bad, I can just faceroll everything, forever, no matter what I do...at Tier5. IE: the pic I've posted yesterday (3.7K XP match) was on a AC20+2LL Catapult K2 on Tourmaline :confuoot:

Then I drop with Goons and for a few games I forget that I'm playing against good players. My brains can't really get down from the "pubbies will scatter in front of my Atlas 1v5 when I start pumping them full of AC20s" high, I overextend and I get killed.

That's my story.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 18, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

BattleMaster posted:

Ultras can be double-tapped, firing them a second time before the normal cooldown is done but with a chance to jam which takes some time to clear.

The dynamic armour/structure slots are from Endo Steel/Ferro Fibrous. They take up 7 (clan)/14 (IS) slots that will move out of the way when you place something, but only if there's room elsewhere in the mech for them to go.

To build on this, ferro fibrous is pretty much never worth it except in certain edge cases (usually with lights).

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

The default trebuchet 3c is actually more heavily armed. And the hunchback 4j isn't far off.

But he's got so much ammo and armor! He'll be able to weather your attacks and just wear you down like a siege robot!

Astroniomix posted:

To build on this, ferro fibrous is pretty much never worth it except in certain edge cases (usually with lights).

To build on your building on this:

IS Ferro Fiberous takes up 14 critical slots and gives you an extra 12% armor per ton of armor. Sounds good right? It would be, except every 'mech has a fixed "maximum armor value" based on its Internal Structure HP (which is a fixed value based on mass). If you do the math, your maximum mass savings are between .5t for a 20t flyweight up to 2t for a 100t behemoth. (In CBT, you'd also be wasting 6 points of armor sitting at 17.5t of FF armor for a 100t design)

IS Endo Steel takes up 14 critical slots and cuts the mass of your mech's Internal Structure in half, from 10% of the maximum mass to 5%. The same 20 tonner from the earlier example gets a net mass reduction of 1t, while the 100 mass gets a weight reduction of 5t. If your robot has Ferro Fiberous, it is always advantageous to swap it out for Endo Steel.

Clanners don't need to worry about this at all because their FF and Endo only take up 7 critical slots each and their FF gives even more armor per ton (still not as good as Endo). Light 'Mechs may also use FF and Endo together because they've usually got a plethora of critical spaces and want to save every half ton.

Yeah, it's not exactly super sound game design but that's what happens when you directly copy stats from a 30+ year old tabletop mapsheet game!

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 18, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I use Endo and ff on my Shadow Hawk builds and it allows them to take incredible rear end poundings. Obviously, it's dependent on play style, but I have a 97kph Shadow Hawk with SRMs and a ER PPC with full armor plus endo and ferro. It's a nasty light hunter and you can also punch up towards the bigger mechs. No room for Artemis but you don't really miss it when you shoot n skoot.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Skoll posted:

I use Endo and ff on my Shadow Hawk builds and it allows them to take incredible rear end poundings. Obviously, it's dependent on play style, but I have a 97kph Shadow Hawk with SRMs and a ER PPC with full armor plus endo and ferro. It's a nasty light hunter and you can also punch up towards the bigger mechs. No room for Artemis but you don't really miss it when you shoot n skoot.

Shadow Hawk is also only 45t, it's basically a light mech.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Wales Grey posted:

Shadow Hawk is also only 45t, it's basically a light mech.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Well obviously, what did you think would happen with the amazing bastion of technology that is the Urbanmech on your side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0 (Always a classic)

This is brilliant.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I haven't played since before ghost heat was a thing - can you yet buy an ferro upgrade and then downgrade without having to pay again?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Some dude on reddit... posted:

I originally thought that heat obtained through movement would effect cooling rate, but it appears its affect is ridiculously small. Normally in combat, I would focus on speed for evasion, but recently I turned to walking in combat(50%~60% throttle) to try and help cool me down more efficiently.

A simple test with my crab, using 4 medium lasers on Caustic showed that after two bursts of laser, my heat reached 26% at rest, 27% at walking speed (50%), and 28% at running speed, while using 17 DHS.

On one of the hotter maps, it appeared movement speeds effect was practically insignificant.... This is one of a handful of reasons why laser boats are so powerful right now. The heat cap is too high, flamers don't work, inferno srms are nonexistant, and things like movement speed don't throw off aim or really build a crap ton of heat. The amount of weight needed for energy weapons is so small, that there's no real reason to not boat them. Hell, earlier I threw 5 large lasers on my zues with 21 DHS, with near max armor, and decent speed, and could cool down at an insane pace. There is practically no down side to boating right now....

A few things that I believe might help balance the game at the moment:

Much lower heat cap: Cooling rate is so high that people can blast 2-3 alphas before over heating

Adding Weapons to overheat enemies: You want to boat 10 lasers? Go ahead. Once we have the ability to actually shoot heat into the enemy, pilots will be MUCH less eager to ride the red line, especially when we can literally force them to melt. To counterbalance this power, Inferno Srms could have MASSIVE ammo explosion rate. Pilots were as terrified of being hit by them infernos as carrying them, due to their volatile nature.

Movement Speed needs to build more heat and throw off aim: This would nerf mechs like the cheetah and firestarter by preventing them from pin point slaughtering things while running at the speed of sound. It doesn't make sense lore, or balance wise. You want pinpoint damage, you should have to stand still, also allowing the enemy to land such hits on you as well.

Introduce ammo dumping and drastically heighten ammo explosion rate(due to heat and criticals): This would force pilots to be more careful with ammo and possibly, gasp, use C.A.S.E. Ammo dumping would allow pilots to forgo using C.A.S.E if they so chose, or to just prevent the internal damage completely. If we can counter energy boaters with heat weapons, ammo type weapons will need to be effected as well.

I got a good laugh out of this...

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

SoftNum posted:

I got a good laugh out of this...

"Zues"

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Zaodai posted:

You can run 2 LRM 15 with 1k+ ammo and a TAG with an Adder.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

starkebn posted:

I haven't played since before ghost heat was a thing - can you yet buy an ferro upgrade and then downgrade without having to pay again?

Of course not, that would allow you to keep some of your C-Bills, and if you keep your C-Bills you won't buy them from the in-game shop with MC :v:

I actually had no idea that was even a thing until this week because I'd never had a robot that came standard with ferro but not endo until the King Crab. I sure do like getting taxed for swapping back to the default standard from an already too-expensive upgrade!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Man I think the new Hunchie needs some minor L/R torso structure or armor quirks, because they just fall off automatically

my XL griffin is like a million times more tanky and it has everything in one torso

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Really? Weird, I keep thinking there's some 45t Doguram mech because the default weapons load on the SHD-2H is kind of a joke, but I guess not. Maybe I was confusing it with the Vindicator, Phoenix Hawk, or the Shadow Hawk IIC?

e: Probably just a mixing it up with the Shadow Cat and the Vindicator, two other mediums that do the "big gun and backup weapon" design better because their "big gun" isn't an AC/5.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 18, 2015

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

The Vindicator and the Blackjack are the only 45t robots I can recall off the top of my head.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Shadow Cat is also 45

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

I'm the one with the MechWarrior 3 book and I forgot that. :cripes:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Are Vindicators still OP?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Wales Grey posted:

Phoenix Hawk

That's the one. Still "unseen" tho. :shepspends:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

sebmojo posted:

Is there a good build for a cicada 3c?

yes, 1erppc, 4mgs and an xl340

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Reinstalled, played a few gams. Wrecked everyone's poo poo with the Ghost Dad.

is... is this a good game now?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

armchairyoda posted:

That's the one. Still "unseen" tho. :shepspends:

I can't wait until we get LAMs :getin:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Illegal Username posted:

Reinstalled, played a few gams. Wrecked everyone's poo poo with the Ghost Dad.

is... is this a good game now?

It sure is if you just feel like blasting guys in stompy robots.

Some dude on reddit posted:

WAAAAAH, LASERS

This guy will lose his mind when they add Plasma Rifles way down the line. There, shoot all the heat AND the damage into the enemy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Working on my Cauldron Born: If I'm running a pair of SRM Launchers, is it substantially better in either direction to run either a pair of SRM4s with Artemis or a pair of SRM6s without it? My mind keeps telling me that losing out on 8 damage per salvo (nearly an additional AC shot!) is crazy, but everybody has been raving about how good Artemis is for SRMs.

Also, is there a fast way to earn pilot XP? I get thousands of 'mech XP per match, and then like 32 pilot xp.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaodai posted:

Working on my Cauldron Born: If I'm running a pair of SRM Launchers, is it substantially better in either direction to run either a pair of SRM4s with Artemis or a pair of SRM6s without it? My mind keeps telling me that losing out on 8 damage per salvo (nearly an additional AC shot!) is crazy, but everybody has been raving about how good Artemis is for SRMs.

Also, is there a fast way to earn pilot XP? I get thousands of 'mech XP per match, and then like 32 pilot xp.

Don't forget the SRM4A's will also have a faster fire rate. You DPS goes down, but not by much. The looser grouping of the SRM6's probably means less missiles hitting your target, so absolute damage numbers are a bit misleading.

Mech XP can be converted to GXP by paying MC to do so, or Premium Time can be used to boost the amount earned per match. Up to you if you want to spend the money don't

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I have my Founders premium time, so I'm already running that right now. It still seems like a piss ant amount when you've gotta earn 15k for Radar Deprivation.

Oh well. Just keep blasting dudes, I'll get there eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaodai posted:

I have my Founders premium time, so I'm already running that right now. It still seems like a piss ant amount when you've gotta earn 15k for Radar Deprivation.

Oh well. Just keep blasting dudes, I'll get there eventually.

Don't forget it also costs 6 million cbills for the module itself, and it can only be equipped on one mech at a time.

• Locked thread