Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think the only scene I really liked was the fight between Fin and the random stormtrooper with a baton.

I can't quite tell if Rey and Fin were supposed to be friends or actually romantically interested because it felt like the latter with really bad acting. But if it's supposed to be the former it's alright, imo

teagone posted:

poo poo, was that in the movie? I guess if so that was the part I missed while in the bathroom. Thanks.

sort of

mikemil828 posted:

Other than the very first scene he's in, which is for all intents and purposes the exact same scene.

Kylo's problem is he takes off his helmet and kills his dad in a really obvious and unimpressive way imo. He was pretty cool at the start.

I like how he threw tantrums because EMOTION is supposed to be a dark side thing, I think.

He sorta seemed like episode 3 anakin.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Are you forgetting that he has his helmet on during a lightsaber hissy fit?

Ren was probably my favourite character in the whole film.

Him being compared to a school shooter is spot on, I think. He ends up being totally ineffectual because he clearly doesn't believe in himself or his abilities, despite the fact that we get glimpses of how powerful he can be. I mean just being able to do dark side poo poo in the first place should put him as a threat, it's a powerful weapon no matter who is wielding it, and now that he has been utterly humiliated and removed any lingering doubt in himself he'll probably come back and be even more insane and unpredictable. It's a way more interesting arc than him being the stone coldest badass from the getgo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

Well we're going to learn more about Kylo's motivations in the second movie probably. But I do have a feeling that yes, it will be more or less because he was seduced by the dark side of the force.

Anakin Skywalker was not seduced by the dark side of the Force. He had, instead, actual, non-abstract motivation for his infamous crimes. So it is with his grandson.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I think some people aren't giving Kylo Ren enough credit towards the end. The dude took a blaster shot to the gut, was clearly bleeding out and in pain, and he was was still able to fend off (for the the most part) both Finn and Rey, both of whom have been shown to be very capable combatants and are Force sensitive. Rey is also clearly some super strong Force being so her being able to best Kylo, despite her lack of any Jedi training, isn't because Kylo Ren is "pathetic" or whatever. If anything, it just goes to show just how likely powerful Rey can, and will, become.

Kylo Ren's manipulation of the Force is also on a level we've never seen before. The dude is a straight up, hard-rear end motherfucker.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 18, 2015

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Anatharon posted:

I think the only scene I really liked was the fight between Fin and the random stormtrooper with a baton.

I can't quite tell if Rey and Fin were supposed to be friends or actually romantically interested because it felt like the latter with really bad acting. But if it's supposed to be the former it's alright, imo

It's pretty clear from the get go it's romantic interest, to the point that Han actually gives Finn relationship advice, it's just they don't let it get awkward like atoc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

I think some people aren't giving Kylo Ren enough credit towards the end. The dude took a blaster shot to the gut, was clearly bleeding out and in pain, and he was was still able to fend off (for the the most part) both Finn and Rey, both of whom have been shown to be very capable combatants and are Force sensitive. Rey is also clearly some super strong Force being so her being able to best Kylo, despite her lack of any Jedi training, isn't because Kylo Ren is "pathetic" or whatever. If anything, it just goes to show just how likely powerful Rey can, and will, become.
I seriously loved how Ren not being able to read her mind gave her this idea that she could do more than she ever thought before, and she grows and grows with the Force as the movie progresses. Immediately after she's able to resist Ren, she's mind-tricking Stormtroopers just to see if it'll work. It doesn't at first, but she keeps going with it and believes in it and it works for her.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

teagone posted:

I think some people aren't giving Kylo Ren enough credit towards the end. The dude took a blaster shot to the gut, was clearly bleeding out and in pain, and he was was still able to fend off (for the the most part) both Finn and Rey, both of whom have been shown to be very capable combatants. Rey is also clearly some super strong force being so her being able to best Kylo, despite her lack of any Jedi training, isn't because Kylo Ren is "pathetic" or whatever. If anything, it just goes to show just how likely powerful Rey can, and will, become.

It's definitely a strong statement on Rey's character, but Ren always seemed like the definition of wasted potential to me. I think he has a lot of inherent talent, but he could probably be so much more powerful than he is if he wasn't such a spoiled brat, because you can tell how effortlessly he pulls off some of those dark side moves. He's probably had it really easy up to this point, being a petty tyrant and facing little actual resistance, but now that he actually meets someone with legitimate talent and belief in her abilities, he is completely outmatched.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 18, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I bet rey is actually bad at the force but "She's untrained, but very strong" is what he says whenever he cant do it

mikemil828 posted:

It's pretty clear from the get go it's romantic interest, to the point that Han actually gives Finn relationship advice, it's just they don't let it get awkward like atoc

Actually I'd say it's exactly on the same tier as atoc's romance arc. maybe somewhat worse since i'm not 10 anymore.

teagone posted:

Kylo Ren's manipulation of the Force is also on a level we've never seen before. They dude is a straight up, hard-rear end motherfucker.

It's true, he managed to hold out against a storm trooper that ran away from his first fight and someone who had never held a lightsaber before.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Movie owned, characters owned, anybody who doesn't 'get' Ren's character probably won't like the trilogy and has my pity.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 18, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I seriously loved how Ren not being able to read her mind gave her this idea that she could do more than she ever thought before, and she grows and grows with the Force as the movie progresses.

The thing about that scene is that not only is Rey innately blocking his attempt to read her mind, but she's reading his instead, pointing out how scared he is of not being as strong as Vader. Bonus points for the first half of that scene, she doesn't even realize she's blocking him. She only puts two and two together when she sees he's really loving struggling to pull any info out.

Congrats, Ren, a Force neophyte can kick you in the mental jimmies.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 18, 2015

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Those Taiwanese CGI Cartoon people made a review of the Star Wars movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=259jj-5YgdI

"Where in the hell are all the Asians in this far, far away galaxy?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bhsman posted:

Movie owned, characters owned, anybody who doesn't 'get' Ren's character probably won't like the trilogy and have my pity.
He was a kid who's conflicted and hosed up because of past trauma and he possesses a lightsaber and has a penchant for rage and tears through anything that gets in his way with said lightsaber, animate or inanimate.

What's not to like about him? His character owns. He's a great villain for the series.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Anatharon posted:

It's true, he managed to hold out against a storm trooper that ran away from his first fight and someone who had never held a lightsaber before.

Kylo messed Finn up pretty good, mind you. All while having a gaping, bleeding wound in his midsection that he continually had to hit to I guess psyche himself up? Rey is also clearly being set up as this great Jedi in the making. It makes sense for her to have raw talent.

[edit] Also, forgot to mention I saw the movie in Dolby Atmos equipped theater. Was my first Atmos experience and it was pretty loving awesome.

[edit 2] Missed this!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's definitely a strong statement on Rey's character, but Ren always seemed like the definition of wasted potential to me. I think he has a lot of inherent talent, but he could probably be so much more powerful than he is if he wasn't such a spoiled brat, because you can tell how effortlessly he pulls off some of those dark side moves. He's probably had it really easy up to this point, being a petty tyrant and facing little actual resistance, but now that he actually meets someone with legitimate talent and belief in her abilities, he is completely outmatched.

I suppose. . There's no doubt that Kylo Ren is a fearsome individual though, despite still being "in-training" essentially. Like I edited in another post, his manipulation of the Force is pretty nuts; we've never seen a Jedi or Sith pull off that Neo-esque Matrix move where he froze that blaster bolt mid-flight (Vader did deflect Han's shots in ESB, but I'm not sure if he was using the force or just reflecting them off his robot hands). Mind reading (not control) seems like top-tier Force power too. Another goon mentioned that he's likely going to become even more powerful based on Snoke wanting to finally complete his training, and I'm inclined to agree with that, wasted potential or not.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 18, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MisterBibs posted:

The thing about that scene is that not only is Rey innately blocking his attempt to read her mind, but she's reading his instead, pointing out how scared he is of not being as strong as Vader. Bonus points for the first half of that scene, she doesn't even realize she's blocking him. She only puts two and two together when she sees he's really loving struggling to pull any info out.

Congrats, Ren, a Force neophyte can kick you in the mental jimmies.
Hell yeah. They're probably in the same age range, but while Ren's had training from Luke Skywalker and Snoke, Rey has had zero training whatsoever and is still able to gently caress his poo poo up good. And I got the sense that Ren's sexist too, with his "Girl? What girl?" line earlier in the movie. It was cool seeing a girl with no formal training completely wreck this boy who's unable to become a man.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
This was a fun movie, but I think the people calling it fantastic or amazing are just high on star wars hype. The movie was essentially a retelling of A New Hope, with a less interesting trio of characters. Part of the reason their characterization suffered is that they weren't given room to breathe with all of the original trilogy references that had to be shoehorned in. The other reason is JJ's meta jokes are funny to the audience, but aren't as useful for building character relationships, which is how a lot of the jokes were used in ANH (see any of Han's interactions with Leia or Luke). This movie also could not work as a stand alone film like ANH or Phantom Menace, which is not a good thing. I also felt this had the weakest score of all the movies, and music is really important in creating impactful scenes in Star Wars. Other thoughts:

Snoke is definitely a sith hologram/ghost a la Exar Kun in the extended universe. One or several of Luke's trainees probably found and awakened him, and became corrupted. Luke was seeking the original jedi temple to see if he can find out more information about this ancient Sith lord. I'd be willing to put money on this being the explanation.

The scene with the bounty hunters and the new aliens was awful. It should have been cut, and that time could have been used to expand on the Republic and the First order more. At least that way the audience would actually care when the Republic planet was exploded.

Speaking of blowing up plants. Having a third Death Star was just bad. Even the rebels were unimpressed. "Huh? It's just another Death Star. Let's just blow it up again. ok!"

I'm not sure what the point of Phantasma was. Was she a joke character? Did most of her scenes end up lying on the cutting room floor? I really don't see the Boba Fett angle, because she isn't even visually interesting-- just a gold storm trooper. just looks like a storm trooper

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 18, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I also liked how Rey and Finn had distinctly different styles with Finn going for more traditional weaves/slashes, whereas Rei went for a lot of stabs that forced Ren to deflect

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bhsman posted:

I also liked how Rey and Finn had distinctly different styles with Finn going for more traditional weaves/slashes, whereas Rei went for a lot of stabs that forced Ren to deflect
Finn was surprisingly competent and able to hold his own in lightsaber duels despite being a Stormtrooper with no lightsaber training and presumably no connection to the Force, or at least not the kind of connection Rey has.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Surprised people liked "I'm being torn apart" line as well as they did. I thought it was pretty cringey. Not quite on the PT's "What have I done?" level of cringe, but close.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Finn was surprisingly competent and able to hold his own in lightsaber duels despite being a Stormtrooper with no lightsaber training and presumably no connection to the Force, or at least not the kind of connection Rey has.

I need to head to bed, but I think they imply a connection as you hear some of the 'Millions of voices crying out and then silenced' bit from his perspective, and perhaps he also had some combat training that allowed him to be somewhat proficient.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PiedPiper posted:

Surprised people liked "I'm being torn apart" line as well as they did. I thought it was pretty cringey. Not quite on the PT's "What have I done?" level of cringe, but close.

Him being torn apart by the light side of all things was a pretty neat reversal, I dunno, the line itself fit

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There's been debate, from what I've been reading elsewhere online just now if Finn is indeed Force sensitive. I thought that opening scene when the film focuses in on who we assume is Finn (still under his stormtrooper helmet) and the music gets all muddled almost, hinted that he does indeed have a connection to the Force. It has the effect that Finn is sensing something, and then we see Kylo Ren's ship come in, so his Force powers were likely manifesting then, sensing the Dark Side. There's also that stare down during the scene, where again its implied, that Kylo Ren senses something in Finn. Some arguments I'm reading are saying that's editing misdirection, but I personally don't believe that's true. Plus, an eventual duel between an even stronger Kylo Ren against Finn and Rey post-Skywalker tutelage would be the dopest poo poo.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Seeing Rey kick Kylo's rear end isn't extraordinary for at all for a Star Wars film. In Star Wars, we always see plucky underdogs take down bad guys that they really shouldn't be able to; bad guys who have more training and experience and resources. In ANH, Luke kills stormtroopers by the dozen when each of those troopers in theory has more training than him. What Abrams does in this movie is less ridiculous than kid Anakin taking out a Trade Federation capital ship on his own.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bhsman posted:

I need to head to bed, but I think they imply a connection as you hear some of the 'Millions of voices crying out and then silenced' bit from his perspective, and perhaps he also had some combat training that allowed him to be somewhat proficient.
Well he had to be proficient with a blaster as part of his Stormtrooper training, because he was poppin' fools left and right with blasters. But it doesn't seem like Stormtroopers would also have blade training. Although that one Stormtrooper did call him a traitor and then fought him with that giant energy baton weapon, so maybe the Stormtroopers do get training with those. That seemed like a special Stormtrooper with his own unique advanced weapon, though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PiedPiper posted:

Because this movie isn't one of the prequels, so it gets a pass, duh.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurzon posted:

Seeing Rey kick Kylo's rear end isn't extraordinary for at all for a Star Wars film. In Star Wars, we always see plucky underdogs take down bad guys that they really shouldn't be able to; bad guys who have more training and experience and resources. In ANH, Luke kills stormtroopers by the dozen when each of those troopers in theory has more training than him. What Abrams does in this movie is less ridiculous than kid Anakin taking out a Trade Federation capital ship on his own.

No it's not. He tried spinning, it's a REALLY good trick.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kurzon posted:

You're downplaying the lore. It's some serious poo poo when an untrained Force user is able to best a dark side Force user who is seething with angst, rage, and hate. That's way above the level of Luke being able to mow down stormtroopers or Anakin doing kiddy things on accident.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
As someone who didn't bother to do any of the apparently required reading before coming to class, why is there a Republic and a Resistance?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hakkesshu posted:

No it's not. He tried spinning, it's a REALLY good trick.

It's ALWAYS a good trick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_H3_g9PhnM
(Spinning trick at 7:00)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kurzon posted:

Going further Rey kicked two guys asses with her staff early in the movie and like said above. She's stabbing at Kylo, like some who knows how to use a staff would, instead of swinging like a swordsman.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

centaurtainment posted:

As someone who didn't bother to do any of the apparently required reading before coming to class, why is there a Republic and a Resistance?

The imperial remnant still have a standing army and are evidently raiding planets for more recruits and resources. Seems logical enough to me that you wouldn't be able to just wipe them out within 30 years. I think the terminology is the real issue here, introducing the word "resistance" just makes it more confusing

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Resistance seems like a small team of people including Leia, 3PO, R2, Ackbar and some other holdovers from the OT as well as new hires like Poe that have a very specific mission.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Kurzon posted:

In ANH, Luke kills stormtroopers by the dozen

Stormtroopers are the Red Shirts of the Empire.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It may have super heavy-handed, but I thought the moment just before Kylo Ren kills Han, where the lighting on Kylo's face is split between shades of blue and red during their exchange, and then it immediately changes to full on red the moment the Starkiller base completes its charge, extinguishing any semblance of light (both literal and metaphorical), was a nice visual cue. What a pretty movie :allears:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

In Aftermath, it mentioned that the Republic was demilitarizing. So it would make sense that the Resistance is an under-the-table type deal, so that they can go against the First Order without publicly having an official army.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mitchicon posted:

As I said earlier though, they actually seem capable in this one as opposed to past movies. They wipe out that whole village on Jakku, know how to actually aim their weapons, have more advanced gear than they used to, etc. They got a definite upgrade since the end of the OT.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mitchicon posted:

I saw a dude dressed as a Redshirt at the midnight release.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Bongo Bill posted:

Anakin Skywalker was not seduced by the dark side of the Force. He had, instead, actual, non-abstract motivation for his infamous crimes. So it is with his grandson.

Well, Anakin's reasons are kind of presented as just contrivances of Palpatine, twisted logic to get him over to the dark side. So I'm not sure I agree with that. As for Kylo, I'm definitely looking forward to finding out his deal.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Cribbing a bit from the visual dictionary here but the planet they blew up was Honsian Prime, which was indeed the current capital of the New Republic. Apparently they change their capital with a vote from time to time. The old alien in that shot on the balcony was even the new chancellor. So yeah, New Republic blown the gently caress up.

Also, regarding Snoke if he isn't Plagueis i would be surprised. His theme comes right out of the story Palpy tells Anakin "The Story of Darth Plagueis the Wise", and what does Kylo say? "The Supreme Leader is Wise"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

As I said earlier though, they actually seem capable in this one as opposed to past movies. They wipe out that whole village on Jakku, know how to actually aim their weapons, have more advanced gear than they used to, etc. They got a definite upgrade since the end of the OT.

These new stormtroopers are different than the ones in the OT, no? General Lux mentions his First Order troops are badasses trained from birth after Kylo Ren makes a quip about Snoke having to create a Clone Army because Lux's troops aren't getting the job done.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

I found Finn to be kind of annoying. The dude was supposedly trained from birth to be a soldier, yet he acts like he's completely lost and whiny all the time.

• Locked thread