Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wulfling posted:

What is the deal with the birds?

They took questions during the last livestream and the first question was "Will there be birds in the game?" to which they enthusiastically said YES! YES! YES!

So Star Citizen will have birds now, as a pure example of feature creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They took questions during the last livestream and the first question was "Will there be birds in the game?" to which they enthusiastically said YES! YES! YES!

So Star Citizen will have birds now, as a pure example of feature creep.
But will we be able to trade them? Will there be a collectible bird game?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
The last time I launched or accepted a TOS was when they launched the hangar module. Am I still clear to get a refund? These cock suckers haven't responded to my request.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

You'll be allowed to capture them and turn them into trading cards which you can then sell on a secondary market.

I hear there will be at least 2 underground mafia-styled groups trying to control that market.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

can a bird get sucked into my space jet engine?

does LTI insurance cover these sorts of damages? if not, where can i pay real life money to insure my ship against bird strikes.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

does LTI insurance cover these sorts of damages? if not, where can i pay real life money to insure my ship against bird strikes.

"Welcome to the bridge, Commander Sullenberger. She's all yours."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm going to ask for a refund if Canadian Geese aren't a planned bird variant. :colbert:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What happens if a bird accidentally flies into my ship and I lift off with it? How do birds "fly" in space? New feature?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

no_recall posted:

What happens if a bird accidentally flies into my ship and I lift off with it? How do birds "fly" in space? New feature?

They become an object ('cause it is dead) and will be tracked by the server until it hits another object.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The most important question regarding birds is whether there will be big boobies. And tit sucking.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SelenicMartian posted:

Birds will be weapons.

ether
May 20, 2001

Can you tie together a bunch of birds and make a vehicle out of them? In case I get space-marooned on a planet full of pidgins. This is important!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They become an object ('cause it is dead) and will be tracked by the server until it hits another object.

What if the bird flew in my ship while i was in space? What if i turned off the gravity in my ship?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

no_recall posted:

What if the bird flew in my ship while i was in space? What if i turned off the gravity in my ship?

The 64bit precision bugs out, launching you into the nearest star. The bird teleports into the nearest space station and becomes a permanent member of the MMHC there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Will the African swallow be sold as a module for the European one? And how much can CIG reasonably charge for a piece of string?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

no_recall posted:

will the space police bust me for smuggling if they find a bird that accidentally flew into my ship?

can i smuggle birds from planet to planet and ruin the ecosystem?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

Will the African swallow be sold as a module for the European one? And how much can CIG reasonably charge for a piece of string?

It's a variant, not a module.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

will the space police bust me for smuggling if they find a bird that accidentally flew into my ship?

can i smuggle birds from planet to planet and ruin the ecosystem?

Canadian Geese, 'nuff said. :colbert:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
On the whole, how many birds are there in space?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sillybones posted:

On the whole, how many birds are there in space?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I came here to laugh about Chris Roberts trying to reboot his PC during livestream for 5 minutes

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Lastgirl posted:

I came here to laugh about Chris Roberts trying to reboot his PC during livestream for 5 minutes

Youre welcome!

Please take a seat and join us as we share stories of lies, greed, and desaster.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
By the way did Derek Smart ever follow through on the lawsuit thing?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Lastgirl posted:

By the way did Derek Smart ever follow through on the lawsuit thing?

He implies that it is. He won't answer directly.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sillybones posted:

He implies that it is. He won't answer directly.

Of course not~ :smug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pretty sure you're not supposed to talk about legal stuff while its before the courts, also depends on NDAs or other stuff :ssh:

Basically, it's all in his latest blog

Edit: This is why you don't talk about legal stuff if you're not supposed to

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 18, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So who wants to bet croberts has never been given the online version of the game before? He tweeted before how he could play for hours without crashes, and in my experience, only offline mode allowed that when he posted that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

So who wants to bet croberts has never been given the online version of the game before? He tweeted before how he could play for hours without crashes, and in my experience, only offline mode allowed that when he posted that.

Hour. It wasn't plural.

I don't think he knows whats going on at the game level, but probably micromanages the assets like you wouldn't believe.

quote:

Nov 25

Played over an hour crash free on Star Citizen Alpha 2.0.0d PTU. Was an awesome experience! Loving everyone's videos!

Maybe he just meant his web browser played an hour of video before it crashed?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hour. It wasn't plural.

I don't think he knows whats going on at the game level, but probably micromanages the assets like you wouldn't believe.

I strongly believe he is very deliberately completely hands off now on everything except maybe the movie side.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sillybones posted:

I strongly believe he is very deliberately completely hands off now on everything except maybe the movie side.

He knows about the lovely chat now, its too late.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It's funny because everyone on Reddit thinks he's actually doing coding stuff himself.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
He's a director, and this is his magnum opus.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

no_recall posted:

He's a director, and this is his magnum opus.

Pretty lame name for his porsche

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bootcha posted:

PGI doesn't have any rights. They licensed the IP from EA. EA still owns the Wing Commander IP. That said, even Chris Roberts, creator of this beloved space sim IP, declined to buy back his IP from EA when he had the funds and the chance.

Why wouldn't Roberts buy back his own IP? Was it too expensive or something?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

croberts seemingly not caring at all about the game part of SC is far more damning than simple incompetence. It really does seem like he is mainly interested in being the famous director rather than creating his "dream game". It really looks like he doesn't even really like playing.

I guess the positive thing here is that Chris being this detached from the game part of the game gives the actual developers and producers some breathing room to do their jobs.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I don't think EA ever confirmed that they were actually interested in selling the Wing Commander IP, but I don't really follow this poo poo. Maybe it's like "The Producers" where Max Bialystock discovers that he can make more money with a flop than a hit?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

kikkelivelho posted:

croberts seemingly not caring at all about the game part of SC is far more damning than simple incompetence. It really does seem like he is mainly interested in being the famous director rather than creating his "dream game". It really looks like he doesn't even really like playing.

I guess the positive thing here is that Chris being this detached from the game part of the game gives the actual developers and producers some breathing room to do their jobs.

There's a 2012 interview (I think) where he mentions how kickstarter is great because it brings in movie funding levels of money and that he would've have to use that to make his movie-worthy game.

(I paraphrased some stuff and I can't find the interview quote at the moment)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

kikkelivelho posted:

The problem is now he's seen the game he's going to want dozens of things changed, so they are going to have to go back and redo things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rudager posted:

It makes perfect sense when you realise that Chris probably doesn't give 2 shits about the Star Citizen MMO, it's just something that got tacked on to milk more money because the fan base wanted it. His baby is SQ42 because that's where he gets to direct all the big name actors and write cool stories and do hollywood movie stuff.

Oh most definitely. I guess I just can't get my head around the cult-like mindset of the church of Roberts.

Come to think of it, what are the backers views on the SQ42 stuff? I've only seen hype around the MMO part and occasionally about the stories they are gonna role play. I don't follow Reddit outside of what's posted here (because Reddit) so it's possible they don't give a toss about the plot.

Oh who am I kidding? They're probably convinced that it'll be the best drat space sim movie ever made.

• Locked thread