Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'trails of cold steel I and II are on their way'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

davidHalestorm posted:

And there is no confirmation yet that xseed is going to bring localized Cold Steel 2?

Cold Steel 2 was confirmed at the same time as Cold Steel 1...

And honestly, I kinda imagine the only reason Cold Steel 3 wasn't confirmed then too was because it didn't exist yet. Falcom wants to get these out before PS3 dies.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 16, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just bought SC on Steam. If I want to play using a full clear save from FC for the bonuses without having bought the actual game how do I do that?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Erg posted:

I just bought SC on Steam. If I want to play using a full clear save from FC for the bonuses without having bought the actual game how do I do that?

You probably just have to download a 100% complete save of FC and put that in whatever folder SC looks into for that. Someone can probably tell you what the specific directory path to create is.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's in my post history, give me a second

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Program Files (x86) > Steam > Userdata > 123895031 > 251150 > remote > fc

very intuitive

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

e: ^^^^oh dang thanks

The Colonel posted:

You probably just have to download a 100% complete save of FC and put that in whatever folder SC looks into for that. Someone can probably tell you what the specific directory path to create is.

I just found some directions from earlier in the thread but the couple of links to 100% saves for FC seem to be dead

SpaceDrake posted:

Pretty much exactly. The folder is [username]/Saved Games/FALCOM/ED6. And yes, that's a standard space. Put any downloaded saves into that folder, boot up SC, begin a new game, and the game should prompt you to import "your" FC save.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'll reupload my endgame FC save tomorrow.

Unless Cake Attack does it tonight.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

Funny. An Empire Strikes Back type of ending is how I would've described the ending to Trails FC. So, what you're saying is, that I might get blue balls again if I bought and played Cold Steel 1? Great. And there is no confirmation yet that xseed is going to bring localized Cold Steel 2? And on top of that, Trails 3rd Chapter may never got localized at all even though from my googling, it resolved a few plot threads introduced in SC.

lol they said the CSII localization was well underway a while ago.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cold steel III is gonna get localized barring some horrible tragedy that burns down the xseed offices and results in the sudden disappearance of 90% of the copies of cold steel currently available for purchase, including digital ones

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

cold steel III is gonna get localized barring some horrible tragedy that burns down the xseed offices and results in the sudden disappearance of 90% of the copies of cold steel currently available for purchase, including digital ones

I guess I'll just have to invade the ruins and grab one of the 10%.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Erg posted:

Because you played FC on PSP/GoG, I assume.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Because you played FC on PSP/GoG, I assume.

because I read Cake Attack's LP of it a couple years ago

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

The Colonel posted:

I want to live in the alternate universe you live in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slur posted:

slur why are you so determined to shout doom and gloom

it's seriously the most boring posting imaginable

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

xseed decided to do the two games that are already out and knew going in there was a pretty good chance there'd be a CSIII. i don't know why people think they know better then the people who actually have sales data, costs, and expereince

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

xseed decided to do the two games that are already out and knew going in there was a pretty good chance there'd be a CSIII. i don't know why people think they know better then the people who actually have sales data, costs, and expereince
because being negative nancies on the internet makes them look super smart and important

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

Well, because they're Slur. They do know better, didn't you know?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Cold Steel 2 was confirmed at the same time as Cold Steel 1...

And honestly, I kinda imagine the only reason Cold Steel 3 wasn't confirmed then too was because it didn't exist yet. Falcom wants to get these out before PS3 dies.

Oops, yeah, you're right. So, that's good then. I admit I jumped the gun there since I haven't even played Cold Steel 1 yet so I don't know if I'll like it as much I liked Trails.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

davidHalestorm posted:

Oops, yeah, you're right. So, that's good then. I admit I jumped the gun there since I haven't even played Cold Steel 1 yet so I don't know if I'll like it as much I liked Trails.

But Cold Steel is Trails :colbert:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Trying to decide which version of Cold Steel to get, anyone with the Japanese versions know if one performs better?
I tried the Japanese Vita demo and it seems okay, the camera seems to stutter during panning cutscene shots, and the load times are a little long, for whatever reason it seems to load if you skip super move animations.
I heard that version has been patched to bring it on par with the ps3, but I dunno if the demo has any of that applied to it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ps3 apparently has somewhat better performance

Reive
May 21, 2009

Somewhat is enough for me, got that pre-order in and ready for Tuesday!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Erg posted:

I just found some directions from earlier in the thread but the couple of links to 100% saves for FC seem to be dead

http://www.filedropper.com/svdat020

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Slur posted:

You've been living in it since FC hit steam, you colossal neg.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

this worked like a charm, thanks!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Erg posted:

because I read Cake Attack's LP of it a couple years ago

You probably should play it for yourself. The LP was great, but a lot of the game's dialogue and text has since been changed and updated, in many cases made clearer for the Steam version. Additionally, Cake Attack was cutting out all the incidental NPC dialogue because that would kill the pacing of the LP, but there is a lot of nice world-building in there.

Getting a handle on the gameplay isn't quite so necessary since the Bracer Notebook acts like an in-game manual and explains a lot, but getting a feel for FC's combat system could help since SC is distinctly harder than FC even on Normal. SC is definitely meant for people who played FC already.

(And even if you for some reason don't want to play FC, I assume that you'd at least re-read the LP before jumping into SC because if you last read it a couple years ago you'll probably have forgotten a lot.)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not to mention it's a good show of support towards XSeed.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Supremezero posted:

But Cold Steel is Trails :colbert:

Yes, ok but there's a distinct lack of Estelle and Joshua Bright in this game. Speaking of Brights, Cassius Bright is basically Big Boss, right? He's the greatest soldier/swordsman/bracer in the world, judging from the ridiculous things you heard about him throughout the Trails FC and SC.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cassius is cool, but estelle is cooler imo

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

The Colonel posted:

cassius is cool, but estelle is cooler imo

:yeah:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You probably should play it for yourself. The LP was great, but a lot of the game's dialogue and text has since been changed and updated, in many cases made clearer for the Steam version. Additionally, Cake Attack was cutting out all the incidental NPC dialogue because that would kill the pacing of the LP, but there is a lot of nice world-building in there.

Getting a handle on the gameplay isn't quite so necessary since the Bracer Notebook acts like an in-game manual and explains a lot, but getting a feel for FC's combat system could help since SC is distinctly harder than FC even on Normal. SC is definitely meant for people who played FC already.

(And even if you for some reason don't want to play FC, I assume that you'd at least re-read the LP before jumping into SC because if you last read it a couple years ago you'll probably have forgotten a lot.)

I don't really want to re-experience a 20 hour game just to get refreshed for another 20ish hour game, but thanks.

I'll probably buy FC one day on sale just to help keep getting these games over here.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It would actually be more akin to playing a 40-hour game in preparation to a 80-hour game, more on both counts if you take the time to explore and keep tabs on NPCs. These aren't games to play if you don't feel you have time to invest in them.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Erpy posted:

It would actually be more akin to playing a 40-hour game in preparation to a 80-hour game, more on both counts if you take the time to explore and keep tabs on NPCs. These aren't games to play if you don't feel you have time to invest in them.

oh lol I didn't realize it was even longer

I'd rather get tired while playing through SC, which I've seen none of, than FC, which I've seen most of.

I usually accept that I'm not going to finish every game that I start, and just hope I'll enjoy what I get through.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

did anyone else who preordered cold steel through amazon get an email pushing the expected arrival date back a week?

alternatively has anyone else ordered through a (canadian) retailer that hasn't done the same I could consider switching to

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cake Attack posted:

did anyone else who preordered cold steel through amazon get an email pushing the expected arrival date back a week?

alternatively has anyone else ordered through a (canadian) retailer that hasn't done the same I could consider switching to
I still don't have an estimated arrival date on mine :cry:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I still don't have an estimated arrival date on mine :cry:

This.

Very sad.

Though I'm in America, so I don't know that it'd be the same issue as you, Cake Attack?

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 19, 2015

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Um, as it turns out, Cold Steel is already out for Region 3, I just bought my copy today. I've played it for two hours now4. Combat is still mostly the same so far but now fleeing is no longer 100 % on the first try which I don't like and you can press x to hit enemy on the world map to stun them before entering combat which reminded me a little of Persona 4, especially with this whole high school setting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How are the writing & characters? On par with Trails in the Sky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I think I'm still too early to tell but you get introduced to 9 characters ( 5 male and 4 females) at once within the first 20 minutes and they're a little stereotypical so far. I clicked with Estelle and Joshua right away but not with these guys. The voice acting is very good though.