Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Everyone in my theater let out an audible groan when the Ren-Solo connection was revealed. That line seemed clunky, it would have been enough to just stop after "the droid was taken by your father" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was joking with a friend "want to bet she's Finn's brother?"

I told people Finn would end up being Han and Leia's son, and also the reason Han and Lando are no longer on speaking terms.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Yawgmoft posted:

My major gripe with this film was power creep. Even after meeting a Jedi Master and being in the rebellion for months Luke could still just barely force pull a lightsaber to him in a life and death situation in an ice cave. Then a completely untrained force sensitive person somehow kicks the poo poo out of a trained Jedi after learning about the force same day.
She's psychometric. She can learn expert laser sword skills from holding a laser sword.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ain't gonna lie I'm disappointed Kylo wasn't jar jar

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

She's psychometric. She can learn expert laser sword skills from holding a laser sword.

I think it's more than she can feel the history of the item and let the force guide her.

Also explains why she didn't want to touch the thing to begin with, given that it was used to murdered a bunch of toddlers at one point.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I rolled my eyes when Adam Driver says, "I can teach you the ways of The Force" and Rey is all, "Oh yeah, The Force!" and starts to kick his rear end. That's some loving lazy screenwriting right there, like Rocky coming back to win the Ivan Drago fight after landing one punch.

In terms of writing and acting, Rey was good, Harrison Ford was (surprisingly) good, Finn was alright, Llewyn Davis was alright, and Adam Driver was garbage. Also, did the CGI for the Lupita Nyong'o alien look kinda lovely to anyone else?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

centaurtainment posted:

I rolled my eyes when Adam Driver says, "I can teach you the ways of The Force" and Rey is all, "Oh yeah, The Force!" and starts to kick his rear end. That's some loving lazy screenwriting right there, like Rocky coming back to win the Ivan Drago fight after landing one punch.

In terms of writing and acting, Rey was good, Harrison Ford was (surprisingly) good, Finn was alright, Llewyn Davis was alright, and Adam Driver was garbage. Also, did the CGI for the Lupita Nyong'o alien look kinda lovely to anyone else?

Rey was a ridiculous mary sue. She's instantly amazing at everything.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Anatharon posted:

Rey was a ridiculous mary sue. She's instantly amazing at everything.

Yeah, the whole script felt like the winner of a fan fiction contest, but at least they had the intelligence to have Han Solo kinda just gape at her being awesome and Adam Driver get all pissy about it. I'm more okay with characters being good at things if it's played straight in universe.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Yawgmoft posted:

My major gripe with this film was power creep. Even after meeting a Jedi Master and being in the rebellion for months Luke could still just barely force pull a lightsaber to him in a life and death situation in an ice cave. Then a completely untrained force sensitive person somehow kicks the poo poo out of a trained Jedi after learning about the force same day. I'm really hoping that they explain that she was trained but had it blocked or Luke was subconsciously training her in her sleep (which would explain the whole speech Ben makes about the restless sleep and an island surrounded by water), but if that was the case why not have Luke say "welcome home" or "hello again" or some kind of hint instead of just staring at each other for thirty seconds.

Seriously we have a whole trilogy with a guy who got chumped at the very moment we needed him to kick everyone's rear end and cement himself as a powerhouse we love to hate.

Confidence more than skill has always been the most significant factor in who won lightsaber battles in the original trilogy, In ANH Luke is easily able to block laser shots blind once he starts to trust the force. in ESB Luke didn't have as much confidence in the lightside than Vader did in the dark side, so Luke got easily trounced, in RTJ the situation is reversed with Vader having doubts in the the dark side, so he ended up losing. To expect Kylo who lacks confidence all together to win against Rey who's confidence in the lightside has been steadily increasing throughout the movie is silly once you consider this.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 18, 2015

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Given how hard they're setting Rey up to be Luke's daughter, it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the old "haha, that's what we wanted you to think!", LOST-style bait and switch. But it would be kind of nice if they were setting it up so hard because yeah, she actually is his daughter.

I must have misunderstood a scene completely.

Didn't Maz specifically say that the force is very strong in the Skywalker family, followed by reciting it's occurrence in Darth Vader, Luke, and now Rey?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

*sees luke Skywalker blowing up death star 1* Ugh... Are you kidding me... That shot was one in a million. What a Mary Sue.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TeamJesus posted:

Didn't Maz specifically say that the force is very strong in the Skywalker family, followed by reciting it's occurrence in Darth Vader, Luke, and now Rey?

It was heavily implied but she came just short of saying that Rey was part of that lineage, just that she should take the weapon.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

mikemil828 posted:

Confidence more than skill has always been the most significant factor in who won lightsaber battles in the original trilogy, In ANH Luke is easily able to block laser shots blind once he starts to trust the force. in ESB Luke didn't have as much confidence in the lightside than Vader did in the dark side, so Luke got easily trounced, in RTJ the situation is reversed with Vader having doubts in the the dark side, so he ended up losing. To expect Kylo who lacks confidence all together to win against Rey who's confidence in the lightside has been steadily increasing throughout the movie is silly once you consider this.

I'm going to assume that Kylo Ren has had actual training with like, an energy sword, while Rey hasn't.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was heavily implied but she came just short of saying that Rey was part of that lineage, just that she should take the weapon.

Oh strange, I somehow heard it as Maz flat out saying "Luke's your daddy, duh".

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

TeamJesus posted:

I hope it turns out that everyone is related. Finn is Lando's clone son, BB-8 is R2D2s son, Poe is the son of Wedge Antilles.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's established early on that Rey is good at fighting with her staff.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mitchicon posted:

I'm going to assume that Kylo Ren has had actual training with like, an energy sword, while Rey hasn't.

Taking a direct blaster shot to the torso probably didn't help him all that much, you know.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

Taking a direct blaster shot to the torso probably didn't help him all that much, you know.

This is what I am going to tell myself. If that was the intent, good on them for putting that in the movie.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ren was beating Rey easily until he lost his erection due to Rey beginning to control her emotions through use of the light side, which is what stumped him earlier in their mind reading battle. His insecurity about his own powers (despite obviously being strong) is his weakness, and he did not have his boner pill (helmet) to get his erection back. Once he got it in his head that she was going to do something to best him, he was bested.

The fight is not about their physical skill with a saber, but about their attitudes & confidence in the force.

Ren is a good character. That was a good fight. It had a narrative to it that was missing since the OT.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh, and someone was asking about Han and the bowcaster. I think it's just a clever callout to the fact that in the original trilogy, Chewie is always running around with the it but we never actually see him shoot. I was even watching for it last week when I did a rewatch, but he just swings it around like he's aiming and doesn't appear to fire. So the joke is that in all of their adventures, Chewie has never used the drat thing and this is the first time Han has actually seen it in action.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
"I can teach you in the force"

"Oh poo poo yeah I can use the force. Lets do that"

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Mitchicon posted:

This is what I am going to tell myself. If that was the intent, good on them for putting that in the movie.

I think it must have been. They made a point over and over again of showing how powerful Chewie's bow weapon was. Han remarked how much he liked it after loving some stormtroopers up, then asked to borrow it again later on to explode some more poo poo.

Then they show Ren absorbing a full blast in his side, his bleeding, and his pain/frustration. Ren seemed really distracted and irritated by it.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

TeamJesus posted:

I think it must have been. They made a point over and over again of showing how powerful Chewie's bow weapon was. Han remarked how much he liked it after loving some stormtroopers up, then asked to borrow it again later on to explode some more poo poo.

Then they show Ren absorbing a full blast in his side, his bleeding, and his pain/frustration. Ren seemed really distracted and irritated by it.

That makes sense. Plus, Ren was owning Rey until he started questioning his own abilities and she got her poo poo together.

Anyone else kind of annoyed with Finn's character? Dude was supposedly raised since birth to be a hardcore soldier, but he always acts lost and kind of whiny. I actually like Finn, but I don't see him at all as a former stormtrooper.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Mitchicon posted:

Dude was supposedly raised since birth to be a hardcore soldier, but he always acts lost and kind of whiny. I actually like Finn, but I don't see him at all as a former stormtrooper.

I didn't like that until he mentioned that he chickened out in his first battle, which makes it more understandable.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Mitchicon posted:

Again, confidence matters more than skill, otherwise Vader, the best jedi killer ever, would have no excuse losing to Luke in RTJ.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN

centaurtainment posted:

I didn't like that until he mentioned that he chickened out in his first battle, which makes it more understandable.

I feel like that on top of the fact that he spent his entire life following orders. He's probaly not used to standing on his own and having his own direction in life.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember now if Finn ever has a moments of triumph. He blows up that TIE at the end of that awesome chase, but that was more Rey getting the ship to point in the only direction he could aim.

Eh, something for the next film.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I felt like a little kid watching the greatest SW movie of all time up until they left Jakku up until Han shows up. The shots, action, pacing everything was great on Jakku. Then convenience kicks in and we have Han Solo out of nowhere. From there the nostalgia hooks itself into the movie and just slogs it down and then the worst elements from the EU like stupid superweapons, everyone being related, and other poo poo starts showing up all over the place. I dunno, I just feel like I watched two separate movies glued together.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Finn is going to be a Jedi eventually.

Anyone else spot R2-KT? She's partially obscured by some boxes near an X Wing after they return from the final battle.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
^^^You nailed my thoughts exactly. I thought the first 25-30 minutes were fantastic, after which it became a nostalgia trip at the expense of developing the new characters.

I do want to know more about that huge grand emperor guy that, that was dope.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Blast Fantasto posted:

I do want to know more about that huge grand emperor guy that, that was dope.

If that guy had turned out to be actually a giant and not a hologram I would like the movie 10% more.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Everything up until they leave Jakku is perfect. Any shaky moments do happen after.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm trying to remember now if Finn ever has a moments of triumph. He blows up that TIE at the end of that awesome chase, but that was more Rey getting the ship to point in the only direction he could aim.

Eh, something for the next film.

Successfully jailbreaking Poe counts. Also capturing Captain Phasma and forcing her to lower the shields. Then the hug from Rey when Chewie tells her the rescue (unneeded) was all Finn's idea. The lad got a lot of stuff done.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Anyone else spot R2-KT? She's partially obscured by some boxes near an X Wing after they return from the final battle.
I was wondering! Kept an eye out during all the resistance scenes but couldn't find her. Seeing it again on boxing day with family, thank you for letting me know where/when to look :3:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mitchicon posted:

That makes sense. Plus, Ren was owning Rey until he started questioning his own abilities and she got her poo poo together.

Anyone else kind of annoyed with Finn's character? Dude was supposedly raised since birth to be a hardcore soldier, but he always acts lost and kind of whiny. I actually like Finn, but I don't see him at all as a former stormtrooper.

He was a janitor until the events of the film

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also, I wonder if the mini-batmobile on the falcon is actually visible at any point...

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

centaurtainment posted:

If that guy had turned out to be actually a giant and not a hologram I would like the movie 10% more.

Right? With that stark visual and the weird chant music every time he showed up; that was such a non-Star Wars feel that it was great.

Maybe it's a 1:1 hologram.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TeamJesus posted:

I like this better than my theory, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

sinking belle posted:

I was wondering! Kept an eye out during all the resistance scenes but couldn't find her. Seeing it again on boxing day with family, thank you for letting me know where/when to look :3:

Bottom right corner.

Loved the movie. Was hoping for a little more of Captain Phasma though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CJ posted:

Wait, it can't move? Then what were they going to do after they sucked up the sun it was orbiting for the second shot? Build another one on another planet? Don't answer that, i don't want to think about how dumb the plot is.

No way can that thing move! It's like 4x the size of the Death Star and it's just a huge gun built into a planet. I'm gonna guess it only used up the entire sun when it charged the second shot and it's not much of a problem being a 2 use thing because they get to blow up 10 planets. That's pretty good for your evil genocidal nazi empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Die Laughing posted:

I had to Google what R2-KT is and I made the mistake of doing so in a very dusty room.

• Locked thread