Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is there any good RPGs for the iOS? I just got an iPad, it occurred to me that it could be a very good platform for RPGs and strategy games.

War of Eustrath is a pretty good Super Robot Wars clone, Wayward Souls is a fantastic action-RPG. The Sorcery series is also something special, they're remakes of an old CYOA series of books but turned into an actual RPG. Your choices also carry over from game to game; they've got a shitton of replay value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is there any good RPGs for the iOS? I just got an iPad, it occurred to me that it could be a very good platform for RPGs and strategy games.

It is probably the best platform on which to play FFT currently. For a while, there were a lot of decent-if-not-great small indie RPG's being published to the store but they never made much money so that slowed. Wayward Souls and Battleheart: Legacy are the only notable ones I can think of. If you like tower defense, it has Kingdom Rush which has some light RPG elements.

e: there was this really great iOS tactics game that was original to the platform but I can't remember the name of it. It was very retro, the graphics looked like Exile...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can't wait to get my PSP next week. I've decided to start going to the gym we have at work after work when I don't have late meetings and do like an hour or so on the exercise bikes while playing PSP. It'll be great for playing long, grindy tactics games and dungeon crawlers which the PSP is rife with and I'll get fit while doing it. Win-win. Finally I can feel good about dumping 100s of hours into stuff like Disgaea and FFT.

Edit: Also, for the record, I married Nera. It was a really tough choice because I liked Bianca too, but I like Nera's personality better and she just seemed like a nice girl. The blue hair on the kids looked weird though so if I go back through again I'll probably pick Bianca or whatsherface.

V Yeah but I figure if the games are repetitive and grindy without much requirement for reflexes or focus it should be fine.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 18, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Man I tried something like that but it's surprisingly tough to focus on a game and exercising at the same time.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I found a guy named Dr. Agon and he speaks like ned flanders

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ruggington posted:

I found a guy named Dr. Agon and he speaks like ned flanders

I don't know what this refers to in context, but do not trust that doctor.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nah, he's cool. Totally trust him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the PS4 port of Dark Cloud worth picking up.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

it's 1080/60 if you want to play a dark cloud that isn't dark cloud 2 for some reason

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wait for Dark Cloud 2, it's the same game except much more content.

Also, crazy golf.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stelas posted:

Wait for Dark Cloud 2, it's the same game except much more content.

Also, crazy golf.

dark cloud 2 doesn't have that cool dude with the jetpack

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like the original dark cloud. even if the sequel was better.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
You know what's fun about Dark Cloud?

How in the Japanese version it doesn't give you any indication of what you have to level up on a weapon to evolve it.

Any at all.

:suicide:

Without a guide you have no way of knowing what stats each weapon needs to level up. And then you go to look it up and none of the English guides bother to write it out because the US version of the game tells you what you need.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

dark cloud 2 doesn't have that cool dude with the jetpack
but you get a robot

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's alright. There's this weird graphical glitch that happens when your hud gets replaced for dialog or cutscenes but it's mostly small and unobtrusive.

The game was always 60fps as I recall so it's not like there's much to say other than it works.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't think DC2 had a catgirl.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm replaying Chrono Trigger for the hell of it.

I'm liking it, but the "Find the Masamune and defeat Magus!" part of the game is pretty dull. The game teases you with time travel shenanigans early on, and then all of the sudden it feels like you're been sent into a generic NES jRPG, where you need to go through a series of boring fetch quests to repair a legendary sword and defeat the evil overlord to save the day. The time-travel stuff the game teased you with early on turns into an excuse to warp you to different world maps to make a giant fetch-quest feel more exciting (it doesn't work). It bugs me because the Masamune and Magus main quest takes up at least 1/3rd of the game.

The game seriously picks up when you reach the Tyrano Lair, and Zeal is easily one of the best parts of the game. It's too bad you have to go through a boring fetchquest in Generic Medieval World with a sidetrip to Caveman Land to get to them.

Starting from the end of the Ocean Palace to the side-quests before Lavos are when the game really feels like you're on a time-traveling adventure again. You're finally making noticable changes to history (IMO, the most fun and cool thing about time travel plots), such as by making the Mystics stop hating humans, exposing Yakra XII and helping Marle and her dad reconcile, putting Cyrus to rest, saving Lucca's mom, and reviving the forest. You're also loving things up charging headfirst into the Ocean Palace, which sends what was supposed to happen off-rails and ends with a loving Star Destroyer appearing in the sky when it didn't before.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think DC2 had a catgirl.
Monica gets a catgirl costume, does that count?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Getsuya posted:

You know what's fun about Dark Cloud?

nothing :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nihilarian posted:

Monica gets a catgirl costume, does that count?

Hm..I'll accept it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dark Cloud 2 is way too long for its own good. At least you can finish DC1 within a human lifetime.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

DC2 gives you a mecha which is slow and useless for a long time and then throws a boss fight at you where it must be used.

Then you grind, research some good gear and by the end you're just rolling through dungeons on a hover bot with solar cannons and get out of it only to collect enemy balls or to play golf.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dr. Agon turned into a loving Dragon?!?!?!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i can't believe this

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I've never ridden on the back of a doctor before...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Happens to everyone eventually, some people are just late bloomers

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

closeted republican posted:

:words: about Chronotrigger

The whole "generic quest to beat the evil bad guy" thing is a big story point built to play with player expectations. They mix in Back To The Future shenanigans to keep it fresh enough that it's still pretty fun, and then the game takes a major turn towards the real meat of the story, as you noticed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least they don't go back to medieval times and stay there for the whole loving game like some sort of Chrono Ocean.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

I'm liking it, but the "Find the Masamune and defeat Magus!" part of the game is pretty dull. The game teases you with time travel shenanigans early on, and then all of the sudden it feels like you're been sent into a generic NES jRPG, where you need to go through a series of boring fetch quests to repair a legendary sword and defeat the evil overlord to save the day. The time-travel stuff the game teased you with early on turns into an excuse to warp you to different world maps to make a giant fetch-quest feel more exciting (it doesn't work). It bugs me because the Masamune and Magus main quest takes up at least 1/3rd of the game.

I think this is fair, but the payoff of the 'twist' of Magus merely summoning Lavos (which is basically a launching point into the meat of the plot) and having the best fight of the game is worth it. (To be honest, all of the prehistoric stuff besides the final scene with Aza was a low point. There was never quite enough going on.)

Zeal is definitely the best part of the game, though. (Besides maybe Mt. of Woe.)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah, it's true that segment is a bit slow but the context of it is essentially that the game is setting up your expectations to believe that Magus summoned Lavos to destroy the world and you have to stop him, and then right at the end there he drops the plot bomb on you and you end up back in the dinosaur age and see what Lavos really is. And then you go to 12,000 BC and all comprehension of the history of the Chrono Trigger world flies out the window and poo poo gets real.

But the narrative is set up with a series of "but" beats that make use of the time travel. The princess goes back in time and risks her own existence, so you save the queen! But then you changed the past and now you're in trouble because of the system of justice you accidentally created, so you have to escape into time again! But you jumped to the future, and it sucks, so you have to change it by stopping the guy who caused it! But you can't without repairing a weapon using a stone that doesn't exist anymore! But you can time travel, so you can go way back into the past! But your time travel plot dealie gets stolen, so you have to take it back! And so on and so forth all the way through.

If that part of CT gets slow it's mostly because you already know what you need to do in that overarching plot arc (repair the Masamune for Frog), but it takes up quite a lot of time and many dungeons to do it. I think the dungeon in 65 MYA to recover the Gate Key is what really slows it down, since you're already taking a diversion of sorts to go to the mountain and find the broken Masamune in the first place. The entire dungeon there is just padding and its only story function is to introduce the Reptites who aren't at the time relevant to the plot and whom you wouldn't consider a threat since you know humans are still alive in the future. You can only really know they're a threat once you know Lavos wasn't created by Magus, since Lavos is the explanation for their disappearance. Basically the game at that point has pointed you in Magus's direction and then leads you around by the nose for a while setting up future plot bits until you can actually fix the drat thing and bring it to Frog and get on with it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has anyone played that AntharioN game on Steam? I was wondering how it compared to the Ultima games.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I'm replaying Chrono Trigger for the hell of it.

The game seriously picks up when you reach the Tyrano Lair, and Zeal is easily one of the best parts of the game. It's too bad you have to go through a boring fetchquest in Generic Medieval World with a sidetrip to Caveman Land to get to them.

Starting from the end of the Ocean Palace to the side-quests before Lavos are when the game really feels like you're on a time-traveling adventure again. You're finally making noticable changes to history (IMO, the most fun and cool thing about time travel plots), such as by making the Mystics stop hating humans, exposing Yakra XII and helping Marle and her dad reconcile, putting Cyrus to rest, saving Lucca's mom, and reviving the forest. You're also loving things up charging headfirst into the Ocean Palace, which sends what was supposed to happen off-rails and ends with a loving Star Destroyer appearing in the sky when it didn't before.

Every jrpg at the time was really just a series of fetch quests, and we liked it that way.

This is a bad post, and you're a bad person. :colbert:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I really think it's insane that people think that Chrono Trigger has low points but eh.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I really think it's insane that people think that Chrono Trigger has low points but eh.

The Masamune part really is the low point because it's the most generic JRPG thing in an otherwise subversive game. But it ends on one of the highest moments and overall greatest payouts so it's worth it in the end.

But even Chrono Trigger's worst parts aren't that bad because no single moment or area lasts more than an hour.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And to me that's one of my favorite moments in the game (with just about every part of the game being a favorite moment) but that's why I said eh because it's purely up to taste and I didn't really intend to argue anything.

I don't really give a poo poo if it's subversive or whatever, just if it's good.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ruggington posted:

Dr. Agon turned into a loving Dragon?!?!?!

He's also God basically.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Don't forget that the Masamune parts are also cool because it expands upon Malchior's character a bit which is realized in full later in the game. Tying that in like they did was pretty awesome as opposed to just going the vanilla JRPG route which would be to take the sword to some completely forgettable blacksmith.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Almost nothing in CT is an accident, which is pretty impressive for such a leanly-paced plot. There's basically one moment of deep reflection in the game and partway through it you time travel to save somebody's mom and then pop back to finish the conversation.

Whoever wrote it clearly had fun with the time travel conceit.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nakar posted:

Almost nothing in CT is an accident, which is pretty impressive for such a leanly-paced plot. There's basically one moment of deep reflection in the game and partway through it you time travel to save somebody's mom and then pop back to finish the conversation.

Whoever wrote it clearly had fun with the time travel conceit.

The scene where they all camp out after Robo lived 400 years tilling a field to make a forest is particularly interesting, because the tone of the game kind of changes for one scene as everyone sort of somberly wonders how the gently caress they're even time traveling in the first place. They conclude that this must prove God exists and they are doing His will.

It's kind of a neat scene that feels like a precursor to the sorts of story scenes we'd see in Chrono Chross, which was a more reflective game in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
What makes that scene work is the ambiguity. Robo has a theory but it's more a hunch he can't prove, and no one can answer the question of who or what the supposed Entity is. The player is left to draw their own conclusion and you never get an answer.