Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

Testikles posted:

Skip if you don't care about ramblings about Star Wars music:

Again just to press the musical score point home:......

But this movie didn't have a 'theme' it kept reprising. The one it did was Luke's theme which isn't a bad thing. They've reused songs and parts of scores throughout the films but they've always been associated with a character or a type of situation and they've reprised them as required to set the tone. Like I said, the only real piece of music that stood out was Luke's theme which feels like it's there as more of a comeback than anything else. Because while it represents a sort of innocence and longing, it was Luke's theme. None of the other characters, or even any of the other Skywalkers ever used it, so it being so prominent was strange and felt more like a callback. I really wish John Williams had put more into this because it sounds so acoustically hollow without those rich cues and melodies informing the film.

I swear Kylo or whatever the bad dudes name has a specific motif which repeated many times (minor key , descending , 2nd time is a re-iteration ending slightly higher -- maybe a 3rd), it just was no where near as memorable as the one used for Vader or the emperor. There was also a theme specifically used for the fleet / star fighter guy when they first showed up over the water which was also restated a few times. I agree that the new themes were lacking something, the old themes were still much more memorable. Girl Jedi also had one with the flutes maybe, which maybe reprises at the very end while climbing the stairs but I'm not sure because the only other time I heard something similar was at the very beginning of the film when she is first introduced. The score was a let down compared to past ones because of the weakness of the new themes. The Luke theme also acts as a general force theme in the original trilogy too but that happens to basically exclusively be luke so haha.

Thank you for discussing the music by the way -- I think its well warranted (its one of the strongest parts of ESB i think!)

Also on a second reading of your post I realize I probably misunderstood your point. Its that there isnt a motif connecting a lot of the other musical pieces together? thats true I think whoops sorry.

Lumius fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of Rey being the daughter of someone evil. It would explain why she got loving dumped in the middle of nowhere.

With no plausible bad guys around from the original trilogy, maybe she's Snoke's daughter? He looks decrepitely old, but maybe he just got real messed up at some point.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm in two minds about this film, but I have to say that it had one of the better lightsaber battles in the series. It was exciting, emotionally charged and it didn't just look like Ren/Rey were dancing around each other like in the PT. It was obvious that both characters had an emotional stake in the battle and it reminded me of the ROTJ lightsaber fight in that respect.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think I am the only one amongst my friends who didn't love the movie, so it was nice to come here and see that many others had complaints with the story.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I hope the next film has a rocky 4 style training montage where Snoke is training Kylo with all this high tech equipment and then we cut to Luke training Rey on some backwater planet by making her float rocks and swing about on vines.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

CJ posted:

Wait, who rapes a bug?

The EU has this race called Killiks that one time induced hormones and sex drugs into the air and made Hans and Leia's daughter have a bug orgy or something.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Star Wars more like Stare Wars amirite? Seriously, those force mind-reading scenes were hard to watch. DO YOU LIKE HARD CUTS, DUTCH ANGLES, AND LITTLE TO NO DIALOGUE?! WELL DO WE HAVE A FORCE POWER FOR YOU!

Also, Rey's "force flashback" scene when she found Luke's saber made the effort I put into baking space cookies to eat before the movie 110% worth it. Holy poo poo that scene blew my mind.

The Doom 2 monsters in Han's smuggling ship were cool but Snoke is a little too close to Prometheus for my liking. Anybody else get that?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 18, 2015

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Why are they a "resistance" when the republic has been restored? Why is their fleet so goddamn small?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Handen posted:

Star Wars more like Stare Wars amirite? Seriously, those force mind-reading scenes were hard to watch.

Adam Driver made the dumbest faces during these scenes, he was trying to act so hard.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

centaurtainment posted:

Adam Driver made the dumbest faces during these scenes, he was trying to act so hard.

In my eyes, anything Adam Driver did bad (like line delivery) was more than made up for by Ren furiously smashing poo poo with his lightsaber every time something went wrong. It's amusing to me to see someone absolutely losing his poo poo in the Star Wars universe.

edit: okay, Annikin killing those younglings happened too. Guess he gets it from gramps!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 18, 2015

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Handen posted:

In my eyes, anything Adam Driver did bad (like line delivery) was more than made up for by Ren furiously smashing poo poo with his lightsaber every time something went wrong. It's amusing to me to see someone absolutely losing his poo poo in the Star Wars universe.

I loved so many of the little character moments they had in this. I think my favorite was scene where the two Stormtroopers are about to walk past the room he's in, notice what he's doing and then the one just kind of nonchalantly motions for them to go in the other direction. It was such a perfect nonverbal way of expressing "For gently caress's sake, not this poo poo again."

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ghostinmyshell posted:

I felt like a little kid watching the greatest SW movie of all time up until they left Jakku up until Han shows up. The shots, action, pacing everything was great on Jakku. Then convenience kicks in and we have Han Solo out of nowhere. From there the nostalgia hooks itself into the movie and just slogs it down and then the worst elements from the EU like stupid superweapons, everyone being related, and other poo poo starts showing up all over the place. I dunno, I just feel like I watched two separate movies glued together.

This... might be how I feel, I guess? I can't properly sum up my feelings about the movie. I think that it was well-made and I don't have any realistic issues to bring up, but... I just don't feel satisfied. I don't think it's just because I'm older and don't have that childlike wonder anymore. The movie itself is essentially a retelling of A New Hope, but the death of Han Solo makes it feel much more like Empire Strikes Back, and that makes it such a tonal shift for me. I honestly wonder if I'm in shock or just jaded.

Maybe I'll have a stronger opinion tomorrow. I think it was a good film, but I just can't seem to express much joy from the experience. It's the most jarring feeling.

e: 90% of the jokes got me though, props to them for that.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hipster Occultist posted:

Why are they a "resistance" when the republic has been restored? Why is their fleet so goddamn small?

The republic fleet got blown up with the five planets the starkiller thing blew up

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
That was an absurdly fun movie. I wish we had more time to grow with Finn, but I guess that's what 8 is for. As is getting as much development out of the Rey and Kylo, with all the torch passing and references to the older movies was impressive.

Honestly some of the best callbacks where in silent shots, the one where Rey replicates the twin sunset from ANH and the setup for Han and Ben/Kylo's confrontation looking like the heart of cloud city we're some of my favorite moments, even if the "sun goes out, Han dies, falls into the light" was kinda ham handed.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

hemale in pain posted:

The republic fleet got blown up with the five planets the starkiller thing blew up

Yeah but the Resistance exists from the beginning of the movie, not just after the Republic gets Alderaan'd.

It doesn't make sense, trust me.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

centaurtainment posted:

Yeah but the Resistance exists from the beginning of the movie, not just after the Republic gets Alderaan'd.

It doesn't make sense, trust me.

They mention the republic and the resistance as seperate things. So maybe the republic are pussys who made some sort of lame peace deal with the remnants of the Empire while the resistance broke off and kept fighting.

You're right it's left unexplained and I'm just pulling poo poo out of thin air to excuse it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I hope Rey is just a random orphaned child with no special backstory beyond what we saw. Just an otherwise ordinary person who happens to be extremely strong with the force.

Trying to control the force and put up gates seems to be what leads to trouble. Vader and Ren are both direct results of Jedis picking some individuals and saying "hey you, you're special, you're going to get lots of training and attention to give you superpowers that put you above the rest of the galaxy".

What if that is the balance that is meant to be brought, that power is not meant to be concentrated in the hands of an exclusive few, but spread through thousands or millions of people throughout the galaxy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rey could be Dooku's grand-daughter or something. Or Palpatine's love child.

Saw the film and loved it. My favorite was Finn. I feel the ending was a bit weak but it was like an 8/10 portion of a 10/10 movie.

I thought Kylo Ren was a very interesting character. A friend of mine remarked that Ren felt very real, like a school shooter.

I agree that it echoes ANH very closely, but I think they've set it up such that they CAN'T do an ESB homage next time. What would be interesting is if they do an inverted one, where the First Order is embattled and they are only saved by Kylo Ren's arrival, newly trained by Snoke.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Senor Tron posted:

What if that is the balance that is meant to be brought, that power is not meant to be concentrated in the hands of an exclusive few, but spread through thousands or millions of people throughout the galaxy.
Are we talking about political power, or strength with the Force? Because the latter is something nobody controls. Force sensitivity is extremely rare.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Hipster Occultist posted:

My take on it is this:

The Republic has spent several decades rebuilding, and is now one of the major governing powers in the galaxy again. Probably not THE governing power, but essentially the Star Wars version of the Federation, whole bunch of aligned worlds unified in their ideals for stability.

Meanwhile there are lots of non-aligned factions out in the galaxy. The Republic, being the good guys, isn't forcing them to join or kerbstomping factions that may disagree with them. One such smaller faction is the First Order, who are space nazis born out of the remnants of the old Galactic Empire. They are rebuilding and rearming, but they are way out on the rim and are probably looked upon as a localised danger, that one planet and tiny fleet isn't much. No-one yet knew about the giant Starkiller base.

The Resistance is the diehard warriors of the light side of the Force. They know that there is always evil arising. The Republic can't openly go around stamping on bugs, half the new Senate is probably wary of the Republic turning into a new evil Empire if it acts like that, wielding power with abandon. So The Resistance is a small force that deals with the rising dark side threats, tacitly funded and supported by factions within The Republic, and with the massive fleet of The Republic ready to be called in if an actual open threat emerges.

In The Force Awakens, the First Order are ready to go for it thanks to their new Starkiller weapon, and the destruction of the Senate system is their Pearl Harbour moment to ensure there is no organised threat to their ascendence in power. It removes the Republic's command structure, and their fleet, and instantly leaves the galaxy with a power vacuum that the First Order hopes to capitalise on. And they would have gotten away with it if those pesky kids hadn't blowed up their superweapon. Episode VIII is going to open with a galaxy in chaos, and a race between the Resistance and the First Order to establish control. Smart money is on the First Order being more ready for this initially, with Episode IX being the end of their plans.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can't seem to Google it, but I swear I've heard that Lucas' original idea of the Force didn't have any restrictions like "oh you gotta be a real special person to use it." The Jedi were just the people willing to put in the years it took to learn how to do it. Much cooler idea.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I don't understand how all of those planets that got toasted could be THAT visibly close together AND in the goldilocks zone of that star that Starkiller base was using for power AND all on the same orbital side of the star.

And let's talk about Starkiller base imploding INTO its a star itself? I was hoping the reveal would be that they tapped a black hole to sap the neighbouring star's energy, but then Starkiller base doesn't just disappear into nothingness and instead it turns into a tiny star? What? From the hologram that Poe brought up on the resistance projector thing, it didn't look like Starkiller base could have been much larger than our moon, let alone large enough to harbour the kind of mass needed to immediately fuse hydrogen into helium at the moment of its collapse.

Am I just really high here or did I miss some integral detail about the size or Starkiller base? Or am I expecting too much science from an action movie?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Handen posted:

I am expecting too much science from an action movie

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Serious question: IS FINN DEAD?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Gotta wait for volumes 2 and 3 of the official canon prequel book series to find out just what the gently caress is going on with the Republic and The Resistance. In stores over the next 2 years.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Handen posted:

I don't understand how all of those planets that got toasted could be THAT visibly close together AND in the goldilocks zone of that star that Starkiller base was using for power AND all on the same orbital side of the star.

And let's talk about Starkiller base imploding INTO its a star itself? I was hoping the reveal would be that they tapped a black hole to sap the neighbouring star's energy, but then Starkiller base doesn't just disappear into nothingness and instead it turns into a tiny star? What? From the hologram that Poe brought up on the resistance projector thing, it didn't look like Starkiller base could have been much larger than our moon, let alone large enough to harbour the kind of mass needed to immediately fuse hydrogen into helium at the moment of its collapse.

Am I just really high here or did I miss some integral detail about the size or Starkiller base? Or am I expecting too much science from an action movie?
I thought the base was just exploding with star stuff, not literally becoming one. Then again they talked like it had sucked up an entire sun in preparation of shooting red death sperms, so who knows.

They said the gun could shoot through hyperspace (though one then wonders how they saw it on the sky on Resistance Base Planet, to which I fear the answer must be "cinema"). What would make sense for those goldilocks planets is if they were actually moons, like Endor. Hell, there's probably more habitable moons than planets.

Handen posted:

Serious question: IS FINN DEAD?
I think the poor guy was just tuckered out, he'd hardly been able to sit down since the start of the movie! I bet you he'll wake up with a vision of some kind though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Handen posted:

The two Stormtroopers who overheard him wrecking the interrogation room and did a 180 was great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I can't seem to Google it, but I swear I've heard that Lucas' original idea of the Force didn't have any restrictions like "oh you gotta be a real special person to use it." The Jedi were just the people willing to put in the years it took to learn how to do it. Much cooler idea.
also an idea that makes far, far more sense with the entire concept of the Force being something that flows through all living things and what it takes from Buddhism/Taoism etc etc

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

Handen posted:

its symbolic of bad guy turning good again in the future.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

also an idea that makes far, far more sense with the entire concept of the Force being something that flows through all living things and what it takes from Buddhism/Taoism etc etc
If you allow for people having more midichlorians natural talent in some cases I think this is a fair thing. Presumably the Jedi just scouted the top talent, which unfortunately suggested it was binary.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

At least this hopefully will put to the rest the "only jedi can use lightsabers!" thing from the EU.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

hemale in pain posted:

At least this hopefully will put to the rest the "only jedi can use lightsabers!" thing from the EU.

That was never a thing in the EU. At all.

Unless you mean "use effectively" which is different. But its from A New Hope that non jedi suck at using them.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That was never a thing in the EU. At all.

Seriously? :psyduck: I'm sure it's from somewhere. I might of imagined it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
If Finn was such a janitor then why the gently caress did he have a space assault rifle and get sent out on a super high profile black ops style infiltration and retrieval mission at the start of the movie?

Edit: As a side note, I loved how a random shock trooper AND Ren BOTH immediately recognized and called Finn out as a traitor the instant they saw him.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 18, 2015

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

They said the gun could shoot through hyperspace (though one then wonders how they saw it on the sky on Resistance Base Planet, to which I fear the answer must be "cinema").

That initially bothered me a little at first, especially because it was pretty much repeating the "Spock witnesses death of Vulcan while sitting on another planet" scene from ST09. Then immediately didn't bother me because I figured some there could just be some unneccesary but easy technobabble explanation about FTL particles leaking out of the stream/bouncing off the exploding planets.

Kurzon posted:

Are we talking about political power, or strength with the Force? Because the latter is something nobody controls. Force sensitivity is extremely rare.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, there hasn't actually been anything in the movies to show that force sensitivity is exceptionally rare. It's quite possible that there are lots of people with latent ability who just never realise it and that is backed up by the evidence in the movies. There's no indication that Luke showed any awareness of his power before he encountered Obi-Wan. Rey picked things up incredibly quickly once she got some faith that she could use the Force, but there was no indication she'd ever been influenced by it up to then despite a difficult life where it would really have come in handy.

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!
This movie was kind of boring.

Almost nothing new, just a remake of The New Hope with a really lovely villain.

Seriously, people in the theater laughed every time they showed his face.

Rey was alright and the flashback scene was pretty cool, but most things were pretty meh.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jyppe posted:

Rey was alright and the flashback scene was pretty cool, but most things were pretty meh.

Naw, it was good and fun.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kylo Ren is awesome. That's my main takeaway from TFA. Not like, an awesome person, because he's clearly a little poo poo, but he's an awesome character, because he's totally Anakin's grandson, right down to the haircut and slightly goofy face. He's got the anger, the impatience, the killing of small children, and the "being a whiny little bitch" that Hayden Christianson portrayed so well.

I'm sure disappointed that they didn't just up and say that Rey was Han and Leia's daughter, because they couldn't have hinted at it any harder if they tried. Han's longing gazes toward her, her innate abilities of language and piloting poo poo, and general ability and competence are totally Han, not Luke. (not that Luke is a bad pilot, but the scene with her and Han in the cockpit made it abundantly clear).

Finn is awesome, because his immediate infatuation with Rey is adorable. He grew up as a soldier, not allowed any sort of room for emotions or feelings or anything like that, and then the first pretty girl he sees beating the poo poo out of some guys once his helmet is off, and he's head over heels. John Boyega is also clearly a gifted comedic actor, and probably put in the best performance in the movie.

All the secondary characters were cool too. I loved BB-8, who was basically R2 plus WALL-E, and he fits quite well with R2 and C3PO. I loved Domnhall Gleeson, who played That Guy Everyone At Work Hates, but as a nazi. Chewie was great, and I'm impressed with the range of emotion he was able to show in the movie. Han was great, Leia was alright, and I'm super pumped to see Grizzled Luke Skywalker Yoda-train the poo poo out of Rey.

I was disappointed with Maz Kanata and Phasma, though. They seemed like leftover pieces from an earlier script, especially Phasma, who completely disappears after the Trash Compactor joke, and does nothing of note. The rumors I heard about Lupita Nyongo having some trouble with the mo-cap acting filled my head every time Maz was on screen, because as her scenes went on, it felt less and less like a full performance and more like her just reading the lines. She's a brilliant actress on the whole, so I'm hoping it's just having some trouble with something so different, because her and Serkis were the only two major characters with that kind of mo-cap in this movie, and of course Serkis has had more roles as non-humans than Nyongo has had roles total, so he's old hat. I also would have liked more Poe Dameron, because he was basically Tom Cruise in Top Gun in Space, but there's plenty of time for him to get a bit more screen time.

I will say, I'm totally in love with Daisy Ridley now. She's got these big expressive eyes, and she filled Rey with emotion even during the downbeats. The way she acted at the beginning of the movie, like a sort of Lost Boy (er, Girl), her amazement at the forest, her relationship with Finn, and especially any of her scenes with her Whiny Sith rear end in a top hat brother. And on that note, the scene where he tried to torture the information out of her was uncomfortably rapey, especially considering that Adam Driver kinda naturally looks like a sexual predator, and his role on Girls only hammered in that fact. I'm glad it ended with her getting the upper hand on him, but I foresee a lot of think pieces in the days ahead about that one scene. Other than that, I dug the female presence in the movie. Phasma was a high-ranking officer, Leia was in command of the Resistance army, and Rey was basically the star of the show. I hope we see lots of girls dressed up like her for Halloween next year, she's the ideal role-model for them the way that Luke was 40 years ago.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Grimace posted:

This... might be how I feel, I guess? I can't properly sum up my feelings about the movie. I think that it was well-made and I don't have any realistic issues to bring up, but... I just don't feel satisfied. I don't think it's just because I'm older and don't have that childlike wonder anymore. The movie itself is essentially a retelling of A New Hope, but the death of Han Solo makes it feel much more like Empire Strikes Back, and that makes it such a tonal shift for me. I honestly wonder if I'm in shock or just jaded.

Maybe I'll have a stronger opinion tomorrow. I think it was a good film, but I just can't seem to express much joy from the experience. It's the most jarring feeling.

e: 90% of the jokes got me though, props to them for that.

more or less the same here. I can't fault JJ for having to cover that 30+ year spread but there's a bit of a problem for me having to expect so much from a character who was introduced so quickly and then has so much impact despite explicitly being shown to be a "punk rear end bitch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jyppe posted:

I was disappointed. DISAPPOINTED that it wasn't Jar Jar Binks

seriously what the gently caress

• Locked thread