Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I get the feeling that Orphie mutate to better fit in with whatever species they live among as the reason why there are suddenly more aggressive and even female variants of their species in one division generation. Finally, Orphies can join the ladies pool party in the residential district!

Are there any go to augements for 50 skells to make them more effective against the 60 plus monsters without finishing the game and grinding out a 60 or Ares?

Not to mention that one who discovers his inner masochist while helping out a prone lady :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Crabtree posted:

Are there any go to augements for 50 skells to make them more effective against the 60 plus monsters without finishing the game and grinding out a 60 or Ares?

Go over to Badr Basin in Sylvalum and kill the puges near the data probe. Repeat until you have an orange rarity Phoenix and G-Buster. If you did one of the affinity missions that reward you with the hex partican, that will help with killing them much faster. Once you have the Phoenix, it helps to have an Amdusias because their armor comes with thermal boost and that improves Phoenix's damage output. As for augments, accuracy is probably the only thing you really need to guarantee that you don't miss. You can use this setup for the rest of the story and endgame farming for the Ares 90.

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 18, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So do you eventually encounter normal enemies that make all the character and skell customization worth bothering with?

Because so far at chapter 9 or so I can just brainlessly mash through fights without bothering to do more than basic equipment and art/skill/augment upgrades.

I'm not like, super fussed about this, but it feels like kind of a waste of time to look into it more deeply or hunt down materials to craft specific suits of gear when I can just push butan and win fights.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

In a word, yes, there are a few extremely hard superbosses and several very high level Tyrants who are particularly challenging without proper setup. Proper customization can also be used to let you kill things you DEFINITELY shouldn't. I used a full suit if electric resistant armor to kill that one tyrant duogill in Primordia near Ceiling Rock WAY earlier than I should, for instance, since it has nothing but electrical attacks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

In a word, yes, there are a few extremely hard superbosses and several very high level Tyrants who are particularly challenging without proper setup. Proper customization can also be used to let you kill things you DEFINITELY shouldn't. I used a full suit if electric resistant armor to kill that one tyrant duogill in Primordia near Ceiling Rock WAY earlier than I should, for instance, since it has nothing but electrical attacks.

I did that too, but like... who cares? It didn't benefit me in any major way, and the time/cost to set that up was not worth the reward of just going and doing random at-level poo poo.

If there's high level superbosses to tackle, I guess I can look forward to that. I'll continue on my slap-whatever-has-green-numbers-on-it path until cap I guess, and see if any post game is appealing.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

victrix posted:

So do you eventually encounter normal enemies that make all the character and skell customization worth bothering with?

Because so far at chapter 9 or so I can just brainlessly mash through fights without bothering to do more than basic equipment and art/skill/augment upgrades.

I'm not like, super fussed about this, but it feels like kind of a waste of time to look into it more deeply or hunt down materials to craft specific suits of gear when I can just push butan and win fights.

A majority of the tyrants can easily be blown to bits with a base Ares 90. There are only a few encounters where you would actually need a decked out character to kill, mostly because they are in areas where you can't bring your Skells into (caves, time attack).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My opinion is that if you're using the Ares 90, you're already basically cheating. I intend to at least attempt to do everything in the game without touching that thing, it's obviously far too goddamn OP.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also I just found Mia and have heard horror stories about her and the fact you can apparently recruit her (Is this a spoiler?)

Is she even any good? Now that I'm finished with the game I'm rolling around with (MASSIVE SPOILERS) Xeno Elma L and Celcia and wondering what affinity missions are worth doing.

I still have no loving idea how to activate Elma's second one :negative: I have everything the map is telling me I need.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I just found Mia and have heard horror stories about her and the fact you can apparently recruit her (Is this a spoiler?)

Is she even any good? Now that I'm finished with the game I'm rolling around with (MASSIVE SPOILERS) Xeno Elma L and Celcia and wondering what affinity missions are worth doing.

I still have no loving idea how to activate Elma's second one :negative: I have everything the map is telling me I need.

Affinity missions are good because a fair amount of them reward lvl 60 superweapon bps at their final part, if you ever choose to grind those out.

I like Mia, but I just run around and do all the remaining quests because that's all that's left besides making some super skell and blowing everything up.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 18, 2015

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you're using rayguns, you get Beam Bomber from her, which is basically Beam Barrage on steroids.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Every affinity quest is worth doing and also every normal quest and whatever simple quests are trivial to do or ones that give you cool fashion poo poo. I am insane and am also doing every Simple Quest though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My main problem with Affinity stuff is most of the ones open to me right now are the characters 2nd or 3rd one and I don't know how to go around getting the others unless they're from random npc's in NLA I haven't found.

Like Phog is at 4 hearts I think and only affinity I have with him is his 3rd

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Are you sure you're not confusing affinity quests and heart-to-hearts? Every character gets 2-3 affinity missions which clearly appear on the map, and each one only appears after you've done the prior. Each char also has 5 heart-to-hearts, which are just simple conversations for slightly more development, a little extra affinity and frequently segment completion, which only show up on the map if you get yellow smiley info on them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Infinity Gaia posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing affinity quests and heart-to-hearts? Every character gets 2-3 affinity missions which clearly appear on the map, and each one only appears after you've done the prior. Each char also has 5 heart-to-hearts, which are just simple conversations for slightly more development, a little extra affinity and frequently segment completion.

I... I might be. I just walk up to the hand shake icons and usually get turned away because I haven't done earlier ones.

Edit: Also just had a full fight in Overdrive and I'm not entirely sure how but man that song builds up the longer it goes.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I hosed up in the Biahno Water Purification Plant quest (the one where you have to get the ID cards) by letting the woman take a shower and now she's dead and it looks like taking the other choice would have left her alive. Does that lock me out of any future quests? Are there ANY missable quests?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Retcon posted:

I hosed up in the Biahno Water Purification Plant quest (the one where you have to get the ID cards) by letting the woman take a shower and now she's dead and it looks like taking the other choice would have left her alive. Does that lock me out of any future quests? Are there ANY missable quests?

There's only one missable quest that I know of, but it has a counterpart quest that also counts for segment completion, so. (The quests "Definian Love" and "Fortun and Glory" are mutually exclusive depending on a choice made in the precursor quest.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's only one extra quest that occurs as a result of your choices in an earlier one, that I know of. Don't be merciful to baby Suids or you'll pay for it later :ohdear:.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I... I might be. I just walk up to the hand shake icons and usually get turned away because I haven't done earlier ones.

Edit: Also just had a full fight in Overdrive and I'm not entirely sure how but man that song builds up the longer it goes.

Keep in mind several affinity quests require you to have done certain Normal Missions, usually stuff like BFFs or Prone Sweet Prone, in case they involve xenos, but some are more involved (Murderess probably requires the most stuff done) and for Frye's stuff you need to have done Phog's and have affinity with both.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's only one extra quest that occurs as a result of your choices in an earlier one, that I know of. Don't be merciful to baby Suids or you'll pay for it later :ohdear:.

It's a good thing i had no qualms killing the same enemies that you're able to kill outside anyway,what happens if you are merciful?

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

So basically no missable quest then, thank god. Not being able to max out segment survey because of one wrong choice in a quest 50 hours ago would have been a dick move.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's a good thing i had no qualms killing the same enemies that you're able to kill outside anyway,what happens if you are merciful?

The suids grow up and murder the questgiver.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The babies grow up and kill everyone. NLA is on fire for the rest of the game and the bodies of NPC's are littered everywhere, you find Carl laying in a pool of "blood" and he just tells you that the pigs grew up to become monsters. The quest is titled like "A severe lesson learned"

Infinity Gaia posted:

Keep in mind several affinity quests require you to have done certain Normal Missions, usually stuff like BFFs or Prone Sweet Prone, in case they involve xenos, but some are more involved (Murderess probably requires the most stuff done) and for Frye's stuff you need to have done Phog's and have affinity with both.

Wait... Frye's alive?! Way Phog talks made me think that dude was dead as hell.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Retcon posted:

So basically no missable quest then, thank god. Not being able to max out segment survey because of one wrong choice in a quest 50 hours ago would have been a dick move.

Your mistakes will still haunt your soul, especially if you're a fan of showers or something.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I think my biggest screw up so far was getting the rest of Corwin's team killed. (Spoilers for the second Corwin/Regina quest.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait... Frye's alive?! Way Phog talks made me think that dude was dead as hell.

You should go drinking. Check out the diner in Industrial at night.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Your mistakes will still haunt your soul, especially if you're a fan of showers or something.
I'm still bummed about ruining that poor girls' love letter. :(

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I did a quest in Sylvanum where I had a contest with some hunters over killing some enemies, then I went and rescued some ice cream cake that had been stolen by a prone robot but when I got back most of the group had be kidnapped by prone so I went to the cave they were held in to rescue them and found out they'd tried to eat one of them so they skinned her alive and tore her to pieces whilst she was still conscious. I'm not sure if there was some opaque choice and consequence design there and I just chose all the worst options or if it had to play out like that but Jesus Christ

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I thought that one was pretty obvious, as soon as it was clear she's infected keep her in sight and stop her following any strange alien compulsions, she's no snail!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I need a bigger gun!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Retcon posted:

I'm still bummed about ruining that poor girls' love letter. :(

That one's pretty obvious by how much he goes on about his Skell.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That one's pretty obvious by how much he goes on about his Skell.
It is, I just happened to pick the wrong thing because I was distracted. I really should be saving more often.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I still feel bad that I screwed up that one prone's assassination plan where you're just supposed to kill the leader and no one else. I thought it would be fine if I took out some nearby robots for a squad task after killing the dude.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Goddamn, Alexa, this thing is a piece of poo poo. I can only think of this being useful as a very cheap way to have three AIs running around with Lv60 superweapons. All the parts are Rare Lv50s with a very marginally better armour rating than Prime Lv50 stuff you'd fine, but of course only one ability on each. At least it looks neat. Like a more Armored Core-ish Amdusias.

And the other two DLC skells are Lv30 :newlol:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I thought that one was pretty obvious, as soon as it was clear she's infected keep her in sight and stop her following any strange alien compulsions, she's no snail!

Strange alien compulsions like "wanting to take a shower"? Typical goon

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so I just did a sidequest with the little hazmat dudes where one got kidnapped, got there and little alien dude was super happy about it but I reported the girl anyway because knowing this game at this point I'd be told that there'd be some kind of civil war over enslaving them.

Did I uh, make the right choice? The game's really painting it as "no" but then again it did the same thing with the pigs.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crabtree posted:

stack either ranged or melee accuracy

then go farm 4 orange G-Busters and Pheonixes.

you will destroy everything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just got that tree clan quest I was told to get some kind of herb but not where to actually find it. Is there any place I can easily get it?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kirbysuperstar posted:

Goddamn, Alexa, this thing is a piece of poo poo. I can only think of this being useful as a very cheap way to have three AIs running around with Lv60 superweapons. All the parts are Rare Lv50s with a very marginally better armour rating than Prime Lv50 stuff you'd fine, but of course only one ability on each. At least it looks neat. Like a more Armored Core-ish Amdusias.

And the other two DLC skells are Lv30 :newlol:
The excavator is in a weird position because it requires some tough materials at a time you are probably just saving for an Ares, but not a lot of them and I don't regret making one because it took junk and not cash, which I am not yet made of because I somehow avoided picking up every research probe.

Its got a super awesome potential compared to a 50 Amdusias which let me kill the swolest prone for a katana a few times even though I couldn't one shot him. Its a cockpit time machine if your past experiences are with normal level 30 and 50 skells.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

zedprime posted:

The excavator is in a weird position because it requires some tough materials at a time you are probably just saving for an Ares, but not a lot of them and I don't regret making one because it took junk and not cash, which I am not yet made of because I somehow avoided picking up every research probe.

On the other hand the quest rewards also include one of each of the items it needs. That was kind.

I love my Hades though, even if it does have a huge rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

kirbysuperstar posted:

The plans are only for the superweapons. If you wanna nuke bases, go to the base near FN 406 and grab yourself a nice 450 Phoenix.

I don't yet have a Phoenix, but my Lv50 Amdusias has a bigass buster sword and giant gravity attack (that cost like 200 fuel each) and after all that grinding, man it's pretty cathartic being able to walk in and just burst down a whole area.

Now is there actual better armor for this skell or should I start augment slotting the baseline armor? I've never built any augments but even looking at the lists I'm missing like 90% of the recipes and of the 10% that i do have, I have like 0 of the necessary items. Time to grind I guess :v: Somehow I got a lucky drop somewhere and got a +40% attack on opening art bonus, so that really helps the alpha strike, but that is like the only augment I own and I just passed chapter 10.

• Locked thread