Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
So what's the deal with Locke and Rachel? Big goon? Or gooniest goon?

It was never clear to me if Rachel died on the attack on Kohlingen or she was severely wounded. Locke has that creepy herb guy keeping Rachel fresh ... But is that legitimate cryostasis or is he just stopping her corpse from rotting?

Locke was always my favorite from FFVI (that ending medley of his and Celes's theme!!) but his whole backstory with Rachel seemed lost in translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's just keeping her corpse from rotting, which is why you need Phoenix to bring her soul back. And yes, it's as weird as it sounds, but his World of Ruin arc is all about helping him get over that poo poo.

I was gonna say "well isn't he in his late teens? That's kinda typical teenager behavior for stage dramas," but actually he's 25

and if you think about it more celes is in her late teens which is probably locke and rachel's age when she died and

:whitewater:

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Speaking of Locke and Rachel, I know this might seem pretty obvious to some, but I've run into a surprising amount of people who love FF6 and didn't realize that Rachel's music was a variation of Locke's theme:

Rachel Forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzPDsBNtsw&t=26s (Locke's theme 26s in)

Locke's Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNmYWYFZQg

Also this bit in Locke's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNmYWYFZQg&t=27s

Closely resembles the melody at the very beginning of Rachel Forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzPDsBNtsw

It's like poetry, it rhymes, etc.

quote:

and if you think about it more celes is in her late teens which is probably locke and rachel's age when she died and

:whitewater:

Yeah Locke's life is pretty hosed up. But it's made pretty clear that he was adamant about needing to let Rachel go before he could move past it and heal, so he could do things like fall in love again and save the planet. His whole story revolves around guilt, so it's ironic that he steals poo poo for a living.

xezton fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 18, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Toxsyl posted:

Anyone who is good at Lightning Returns have some recommendations for garb builds to help break this game even further?

You want to use the Soldier of Peace garb and artemis arrows when you stagger a boss / hard enemy to do ridiculous damage. Toss on deprotect + whatever else you want for the final ability slot.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

What really blows people's minds is how many different songs they stuffed into Dancing Mad. There was a list and it was glorious and I can't find it. I can pick out about 6 by ear but I know there's more.

Dress up talk: Soldier of peace is bonkers if you can stagger things. 75% reduction accessory abuse was covered. Yuna/Cloud DLC outfits can carry you through most of the game if you are on PC. I've heard people talk up light slash but I don't see it. Imperil, Deprot, Deshell. I haven't started hard yet but some of the garbs look really neat and I'm looking forward to some diversity.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I know this isn't the fire emblem thread but I'm playing ffx2 and rikku's brother is all horned up for yuna but isn't yuna half-al bhed and like maybe his half-sister or something? cousins? I can't remember

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

epitasis posted:

I know this isn't the fire emblem thread but I'm playing ffx2 and rikku's brother is all horned up for yuna but isn't yuna half-al bhed and like maybe his half-sister or something? cousins? I can't remember

Yes, that is the joke.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Is a guy wanting to gently caress his cousin really a "joke"? Is it supposed to endear him to the audience? Because everything about Brother makes me hate him in X-2.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Oh brother

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The screencap makes a persuasive argument

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Schwartzcough posted:

Is a guy wanting to gently caress his cousin really a "joke"? Is it supposed to endear him to the audience? Because everything about Brother makes me hate him in X-2.

I'm pretty sure whoever wrote his dialogue did not realize he was supposed to be her cousin.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Somewhere in the distance Wild Arms 2 and FE: Genealogy of the Holy War cackle at this lightweight nonsense.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't really know much about anime, but X-2 strikes me as very anime-like in its "Perky Girls Fight Monsters" department. My guess is that Brother is just supposed to be a cross between the "funny foreigner" and "comical pervert" stereotypes I know from other Japanese media. Not that that makes him any less irritating...

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Rikku comes out and says to him she's your cousin stop that poo poo at some point. It might be in al'bhed.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I always thought of Red XIII as a lion thing, surprised to see everyone calling him dog a couple pages ago.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Maybe I'm a lion...

Also, Locke is a Treasure Hunter, not a thief. Get your facts straight.

homebrand
Oct 1, 2011
So there's a 50% off sale on FF games for android and I have no idea which ones are decent on phones. I know people are wild about 6 but I figure anything with an active time fight mechanic is just going to be frustrating on mobile. Leaning towards 3 for some reason. I've never beat any of them and want to play through one on breaks.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Gologle posted:

Maybe I'm a lion...

Also, Locke is a Treasure Hunter, not a thief. Get your facts straight.

Sometimes that treasure is in a house. Owned by a different person. Locked in a safe. You know. Waiting to be hunted.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I always felt like locke was maybe supposed to be Count Von Cosel?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bloodychill posted:

Sometimes that treasure is in a house. Owned by a different person. Locked in a safe. You know. Waiting to be hunted.

Reminds me of 8bit theater

What is lockpicking if not picking the pocket of the door? :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Locke is an amoral monster who seeks to subvert death and the laws of man alike. The only reason he is not the villain is because Kefka beat him to it. In an alternate world Locke would have stolen the magic of the world (proclaiming that he is a treasure hunter and it is merely the greatest treasure of all) and distorted the world itself in order to bring Rachel back to life.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Electromax posted:

I always thought of Red XIII as a lion thing, surprised to see everyone calling him dog a couple pages ago.

He might look like a lion but he's animated like a dog and he howls under the moon.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
Red XIII is a fire type Pokemon. That's why he can be both a lion and a dog. That's also why he has a flame on the end of his tail like a Charmander. The real question is if he was the last of his race, how did he manage to have babies at the end of the game?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bamford Brownstone posted:

The real question is if he was the last of his race, how did he manage to have babies at the end of the game?

Deneh is a lady dog from crisis core.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bamford Brownstone posted:

Red XIII is a fire type Pokemon. That's why he can be both a lion and a dog. That's also why he has a flame on the end of his tail like a Charmander. The real question is if he was the last of his race, how did he manage to have babies at the end of the game?

He can breed with other species in the same Egg Group :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

A Steampunk Gent posted:

He can breed with other species in the same Egg Group :v:

:ms:

Of course.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
So Nanaki's the D-Dog, since he's a dog and a wolf. And a lion.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Well that was easier than I expected. Glad I didn't try to do it blind, though

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

homebrand posted:

So there's a 50% off sale on FF games for android and I have no idea which ones are decent on phones. I know people are wild about 6 but I figure anything with an active time fight mechanic is just going to be frustrating on mobile. Leaning towards 3 for some reason. I've never beat any of them and want to play through one on breaks.

Most of the mobile ports are pretty crap. ATB is kinda a pain on mobile, plus 5 and 6 have some poo poo graphics compared to the original. 3 is based on a remake that was pretty terrible. If you don't mind the graphics for 5 and 6, they're not bad options. 4 is good too, but I'd advise finding alternate ways to play the SNES games.

At any rate, I suggest Tactics (since the touch screen controls work great for it and since it's completely turn-based) and Dimensions (since it's a decent game much like the SNES games that is exclusive to iOS and Android) (e: saw Dimensions isn't on sale, and it goes on sale often enough and is mediocre enough to be better to wait on it) if anything, and 4-6 if you don't want to bother emulating them.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 18, 2015

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyone interested in World of Final Fantasy? Here's the trailer from Jump Festa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH60N7i1wbM&f=

No english subs yet.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is it going to be better than FFXIV? Let me stop you there, because the answer is no. Not because "hurr durr, all FF's are terrible" but because FFXIV IS THE loving poo poo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when do I get blitzball in x2

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

epitasis posted:

when do I get blitzball in x2

Go to Luca in chapter 5.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

chapter 5 that is eons from nowww

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FWIW Chapter 4 is super short just a dungeon, boss, and a few cutscenes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Is it going to be better than FFXIV? Let me stop you there, because the answer is no. Not because "hurr durr, all FF's are terrible" but because FFXIV IS THE loving poo poo

Does XIV have Pokemon mechanics*?

*Not actually sure about that, just going off that unsubbed trailer without any other info.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

Why didn't you play the beta? XIV was an abomination, this game is so much better.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does XIV have Pokemon mechanics*?

Not quite, but it does have an RTS minigame that uses your ingame pets and translates dungeon/raid mechanics. So you'll fight a wind-up Bahamut and he'll do things Bahamut Prime did like Megaflares and Earthshakers and you have to manage them in much the same way. There was only 24 stages and multiplayer, but it was a fun little thing.

Also it had good music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hEnT4jYUss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I finally bothered to beat Noel on day 9. That was a pretty fun fight, though I can tell you were obviously meant to do this one first with how much simpler it was then the others.

Also, I found a sidequest about some guy's journal. Once I find it, is reading it a choice I get that will ruin the sidequest if I choose wrong?