Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone been having issues getting Horizons to launch? I've tried a few times on the same system I've played E:D on and it basically won't launch full screen and seems to lag out even though it's a 64bit system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
It has been 7 months since I have played this game. Can someone get me up to speed? (lol)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Angrymog posted:

The wave scanner is on all the time. The button scanner is for data links.
Yeah that's the thing I meant. It doesn't seem to do anything on random stuff so I assume you just use it for missions (of which I haven't done any yet).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OK so I just got home from work and can't log in to the game. I registered a Frontier account when I tried the game on the Xbone but using that info just puts me into an endless loop of logins and verification codes (I have 8 verification codes currently in my inbox). Am I doing something wrong here?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Insert name here posted:

Yeah that's the thing I meant. It doesn't seem to do anything on random stuff so I assume you just use it for missions (of which I haven't done any yet).

Watch the first video for an explanation of the datalink scanner:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well, it's certainly exhilarating tumbling down the side of a crater at above full speed in your SRV and just managing to come to a stop with about 20% hull left. What's more exciting is doing the exact same thing not 5 minutes later in your Cobra because you misjudged how low you were flying :suicide:

It's also annoying you can't set multiple axises (axes?) on the joystick for SRV steering, I want to use the rocker on the back of my throttle for when in turret mode (so I have a free hand to aim with the mouse) as well as the stick itself for normal driving. Also how come there's no Yaw axis for when you're in the air?

edit: Found an interesting anomaly out of the whole 'crashing down a hillside' thing. A bunch of Automated Mining Extractors. No faction alignment, security area, skimmers, or anything else like that.

So of course I popped them all open :getin:

Not a bad haul actually (ignore the Gold and Tea, those were from boring "skimmers guarding wreckage" anomalies)

Icedude fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 18, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
The SRV does feel really delicate considering the huge rad jumps on planets but maybe I'm just hard on it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I hope they introduce a few other SRV types within a decent time frame.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

The SRV does feel really delicate considering the huge rad jumps on planets but maybe I'm just hard on it

Big thing with it is to soften your landings using the thrusters. There's a bar that appears on the right'ish of the HUD when you are falling and as long as you don't land "in the red" you'll be fine. I keep four pips to engines with the SRV as it lets you recover all your boost hella quickly, even if you do a bigass boost jump.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
It seems that popping shield boosters now ramps your heat up quite a bit, 30% or so. Maybe more.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

It seems that popping shield boosters now ramps your heat up quite a bit, 30% or so. Maybe more.

Shield cell banks? Yeah, probably the biggest gameplay change of the patch (aside from SRVs) is that you can't just run four SCB's and pop them at once like an X-potion, because you'll fry your rear end off. They also require about 30 seconds to power up when you power them in the modules screen, so you can no longer keep a bunch of them "in reserve" to use by retracting hardpoints for a few seconds.

On top of that, hull armor modules got buffed and shield recharge time was reduced (and bi-weave shields reduce it even further), so now there's more to survivability than just stacking as many shield boosters and cell banks as possible.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I also swear they made shields a lot thinner in general.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there an out of game outfitting/shipyard search engine somewhere, short of flying to high-tech systems and checking manually? I know about eddb for trade routes already, but I don't see any module search there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there an out of game outfitting/shipyard search engine somewhere, short of flying to high-tech systems and checking manually? I know about eddb for trade routes already, but I don't see any module search there.

It's under the stations part. Lets you search for ships, modules and even has a field for finding a yong-mart that has it.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Ciaphas posted:

http://ed-td.space/en/30/Find+Outfitting
http://ed-td.space/en/18/Find+Ship

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's under the stations part. Lets you search for ships, modules and even has a field for finding a yong-mart that has it.

Ah, so it is :downs: Thanks! (what's a yong-mart?)

And thank you too!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Yong-mart is just a nickname for a station under the influence of Li Yong-Rui and has his 15% discount.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mission accomplished :toot:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Wait a minute, did someone say the Viper MkIV flies better than a Vulture? Like, seriously? Because the only ship I've ever flown pre patch that was more maneuverable than a Vulture was a goddamned Eagle, for chrissakes.

One thing to be said for the addition of things like shield cell banks and boosters for the game is that the gap between a truly combat specialized ship and the jack of all trades type in dogfighting capability is a hell of a lot bigger than it used to be. I don't know to hate or love it.

I just took down an elite AI pilot last night -- my Keelback still heavily built for mining without so much as a shield generator against his Diamondback Scout -- and the guy never even got to take a shot at me. It just took goddamned ages because I only had ballistic weapons and it took me a few eons to punch a hole in the guy's shields. Still strikes me as insanely ironic given that last I heard this game's developers were having to consciously hold back on going all out and creating an unbeatable dogfighting AI because it would be "so easy." Any player pilot worth a damned should have been flying circles around me in that matchup and the only reason this AI gave me any trouble was because he was running something ridiculous like 3 chaff launchers and shield cells for days.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

How many spacebux should I have before even thinking of hitting up the 'vette? I don't have the rank for it, either, so it's sort of a moot point, but still.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So how much depth does Horizon add to the base game?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Mission accomplished :toot:
Aww yiss. Is that the Black Friday paint job? It looks baller.

You, me and Doot should hang out and get screenshots of our behemoth faction ships :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Whem mining a belt does it matter which rock I aim at? Do I need to move the laser around at all or can I just tape down the fire button while I fiddle with the refinery?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Gorgeous screenshot 101 while I'm waiting for my copy of Horizons

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Sedisp posted:

So how much depth does Horizon add to the base game?

Probably several thousand kilometers on average, if you're just going from emergency proximity dropout to the surface :v:

It's kinda scattered. Planetside base assaults can be interesting, with a wing of players working in the air and on the ground to dismantle the multiple layers of defenses in support of each other- Goliath skimmers that ships are far better at killing, large anti-ship guns that SRVs can shut off. But then you have things like search and rescue missions where there is no actual crash visible from the sky, just an escape pod that spawns randomly in the distance in the direction you're heading after you've driven for a while. Ships with fighter bays are slated to get a significant upgrade as it has been confirmed that AI will pilot the fighters if you have no friends around to do it for you, or if you want your friends to stay on your ship to handle one of up to four crew positions (also forthcoming). There's a lot more mission variety but as above, it's incredibly hit-and-miss and needs some more attention before that shines.

If nothing else, somewhere out there you should be able to find long-lost colonies and alien ~things~ now, so there's more impetus to explore outside the bubble.

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 18, 2015

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

Wait a minute, did someone say the Viper MkIV flies better than a Vulture? Like, seriously? Because the only ship I've ever flown pre patch that was more maneuverable than a Vulture was a goddamned Eagle, for chrissakes.

Haha, yeah, that guy's crazy or else mistook the name for something else. I just tried out the Viper IV earlier, it's a good combat ship for its price range that has potential issues with getting caught in turn-fighting. No way in hell it's even on par with a Vulture's handling. Maybe if you left E-rated thrusters in the Vulture, I guess, but you'd be hard pressed to overcome the basic difference in flight model with the Vulture's stronger lateral/vertical thrusters.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Mercurius posted:

Aww yiss. Is that the Black Friday paint job? It looks baller.

You, me and Doot should hang out and get screenshots of our behemoth faction ships :getin:

I've got the DFS Big Harry fitted out in a way I am really liking finally after days of indecision so I'm down for screenshots and some wing action. Can see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Toadsmash posted:

They can say that, but it doesn't make it true.

The Viper MkIV is pretty maneuverable, but it's no Vulture. It is a fine little ship, though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Shine posted:

Shield cell banks? Yeah, probably the biggest gameplay change of the patch (aside from SRVs) is that you can't just run four SCB's and pop them at once like an X-potion, because you'll fry your rear end off. They also require about 30 seconds to power up when you power them in the modules screen, so you can no longer keep a bunch of them "in reserve" to use by retracting hardpoints for a few seconds.

On top of that, hull armor modules got buffed and shield recharge time was reduced (and bi-weave shields reduce it even further), so now there's more to survivability than just stacking as many shield boosters and cell banks as possible.

Yeah whoops, meant cell banks :downs:

That's good to know about modules getting a boost, though. Aren't they stackable, too?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Picked up a mission to rescue a couple hostages. Found the target and scanned him, thought it was weird he wasn't "wanted" for carrying hostages around but I decided to pull him out of supercruise anyway. Back in normal space I cargo scanned him and sure enough he has hostages so I attack him and send my cargo limpet out. I get a bounty for attacking since he's not wanted but I figure who cares I'll still complete the mission, turns out the hostages don't count towards the mission objective for some reason so now I have some stolen hostages.

:ughh:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

They can say that, but it doesn't make it true.

The Viper MkIV is pretty maneuverable, but it's no Vulture. It is a fine little ship, though.
Pretty much: I'm a big fan of the V4, but it's not as maneuverable as a Vulture.
The FAS, on the other hand, is. :getin:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Help

Need a good exploration guide/tutorial or how to:
Explore
Babbys first exploration ship that can also have buggy for flailing around on planets
What to put on it

and suggestions for:
Space Trucker radio station/spotify playlist
where to buy audio books

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dongattack posted:

Help

Need a good exploration guide/tutorial or how to:
Explore
Babbys first exploration ship that can also have buggy for flailing around on planets
What to put on it

and suggestions for:
Space Trucker radio station/spotify playlist
where to buy audio books

The Diamodback Explorer would do ok, the only problem is you kinda want shields for landing on planets because it's tricky to touch down slow enough that you don't take collision damage (and almost impossible on the larger planets).

http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/02A4D5A3D1D3D5C---0202--32B3v62i2f.AwRj4yKA.Aw1-kA==
This would be a decent starting point.

e. actually the viper mk VI/cobra MK III can fit everything you'd want at the cost of less jump range. They do cost fewer credits though.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 18, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Dongattack posted:

What to put on it

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/02A4D4A2D3D3D4C----020234v4400d2i2f.AwRj4llMaA==.Aw1-kA==?bn=Explorer

This won't jump as far as an Asp or Diamondback, but it should go far enough to let you explore for the sake of exploration (you won't reach Sag A^ quickly or be able to go into the more remote stars) and it will do it not just fairly cheaply, but robustly. Two buggies, two sets of heat sinks, the ability to boost, and a repair unit in case you still manage to cook your internal systems.

To be honest, I might use this myself for a quick short-range explorer to gather materials- heat sinks swapped out for better thrusters for high-G worlds.

e: The Type-6 can also make a good budget explorer, just scale down the AFMU to cut the price to whatever you can afford. Probably not nearly as fun to fly through canyons as a Viper, but it does have great cockpit visibility.

Sard fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 18, 2015

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Literally Kermit posted:

My fav quote from the upmost left review:

quote:

MarioDragon 1 hour ago
How do ED fanboys feel knowing Star Citizen Apha 2.0 has more to do in it than an average day in Elite Dangerous? Even waiting for it to load up after it crashes is more exciting than staring at a blue dot to my next star station

I'd read more, but my doctor told me to cut back the salt in my diet. :allears:

Goodness, it keeps amazing me how different from me other people can experience the world.

Sard
May 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/JamesStant/status/677449510784786432

:frogsiren:

Frontier has arranged for Elite to be advertised at showings of Star Wars across the UK and North America. Expect a second surge of new players, holy poo poo.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Has anyone else noticed that the SRV is a little buggy?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
More players is always good! Of course they may see it and go "this is neat!" and then when they play the game they will be bored because it's not CoD.

itsnice2bnice posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the SRV is a little buggy?
:frogout:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesStant/status/677449510784786432

:frogsiren:

Frontier has arranged for Elite to be advertised at showings of Star Wars across the UK and North America. Expect a second surge of new players, holy poo poo.

I've heard Frontier already has sold 1+ million units. Even with discounts taken into account, that's a large percentage of Star Citizens mega-funding in sales volume already. With that new advertisement, they'll probably take another step closer.

Also yeah, they've made a working game and have more players than SC has "backers". The funding is the only thing were Elite is still lagging behind. And not for long anymore, it seems.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Why I have all this poo poo in my pc?

It's taking 30-ish Gb instead of 10-ish and I didn't get why I have Elite-32bit and Elite-64bit at the same time. Isn't enough to have only one? Also who the gently caress has a 32bit only processor in 2015 2016 and why this must reflect in 11 extra Gb I need to download in my pc? :argh:

• Locked thread