Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Yashichi posted:

Muscovy got sick and this neat Orthodox horde emerged:

It has a couple problems, though. Like not having any ruler names.

It also doesn't exist at all in the game files. Did rebels create a custom nation?

That's the cossack disaster, where they split off to form a new nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yashichi posted:

It has a couple problems, though. Like not having any ruler names.

It also doesn't exist at all in the game files. Did rebels create a custom nation?

YES

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I wasn't aware of that, kind of a neat feature. We'll see if the next khan gets a name.

Also, those regional names seem to have a character limit:

kind of small but the final "a" is cut off, "Portuguese Mexican Central Americ"

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Yashichi posted:

I hope they invade Scotland under the "Can Be Only One" CB.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Does anyone know of a UI mod that allows you to select any map mode without having to gently caress around with categories of scrolling menus? I don't understand why they didn't keep it the same way where you could trade the minimap for map mode space. The new one just gets in the way and has done nothing but annoy me.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Gary Khan.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I tried forming Inca. Even managed to keep up to just 4 military tech behind Spain, when they showed up and dumped 40,000 men on my shores. :sigh:

Darlan Flame
May 18, 2006

SAVE THE B33R!

John Wilkes Booth posted:

If I want to play an Austria game where I unite the HRE, how important is keeping Italy in the empire? I tried once before and it was just an AE filled slog. Can I just let Italy do its thing?

Just did an Austria game after the cossacks dropped and it's way easier to keep the event from firing now. Now you have a decision you click as soon as you have control over the areas which automatically adds all the italian provinces to the HRE and keeps the shadow kingdom from ever firing. This also means you no longer have to annex/core/add every single province, just owning the provinces without cores or vassalizeing the countries is good enough to press the button.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
If I send an explorer on a circumnavigation mission at a time when I really shouldn't have, is there any way to tell them to turn back or are those three ships just a write off?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Doing a Kingdom of God playthrough right now. And while allying France is a necessity its kinda boring.

But I want to keep Avignon as long as possible and I can't say no to French doomstacks helping me in my conflicts against the HRE.

I have to say I like playing Papal States, they have a lot of cool events. I hope that continues as the years go on!

French doomstacks. So a war just ended and France is in 800 gold in debt. That should take them a while to clear shouldn't it?
Two years later they are back at it. What gives? They can't make that much money?

Like the update. Good poo poo. Estates soemtimes gently caress me in the butt, but its fun and not very micro intensive. You can choose not to pay attention to it and the bonuses are p good. (I mean 15-20% faster manpower? Same with tax? Yes please)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I feel the estates would work better with more visible benefits. They currently feel a bit like an annoying diversion from real gameplay, demanding that you give up local autonomy forever to prevent problems. The bonii they give you are less visible than the penalties, and I'm sure this plays into player psychology in a negative way.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm a fan of 50% more trade power in my centres of trade.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gort posted:

I'm a fan of 50% more trade power in my centres of trade.

Are the provincial bonii of estates even visible outside of tooltips? I think that's the big offender in terms of benefit visibility. Though the country-wide effects being only visible in the last tab of the country view where you'll be going primarily because an estate will be complaining about something is also not incredibly good.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Please just say bonuses and penalties. Making up words doesn't make you look smart.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

Eej posted:

Does the new Historical AI rivalry thing prevent you from having the Castille vs Aragon clusterfuck over Navarre now?

I did a few starts before I got going, sometimes they fought over Navarre but most of the time they didn't. I had a really good one where Aragon allied the Ottomans and immediately declared on Castile, wiping their army and taking a province from them. I then managed to grab 2 provinces from Castile right away. Of course, what happened was a 25 stack of Castilian rebels spawned in Aragon, crossed over the border and took them back. :argh:

Edit: Also: I'm back, baby!

Not really sure where to go from here though. Aragon stomped Castile and I'm not strong enough to take on them or Portugal head on, plus the Ottomans still won't ally me.

kukrunkarmaskin fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 18, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I realized the reason I'm so iffy on estates. Every game I've done since they've been introduced is in the Americas. That means most of my provinces are poo poo that increase loyalty between 0.0% - 0.1%. I was trying to get an estate up to 50% loyalty and realized just to bump it to that from 46% I'd need to manually assign 40 provinces. Maybe they work better for smaller, more well developed nations.

Anyway, I finally got my First Come First Serve/Ideas Guy run done. I will definitely avoid having my nation's color being black in the future, as it is just an absolute hassle when rebels pop up in territory I've seiged.

I was creating all the extra colonies my budget could handle starting around 1620 and finished in 1788 after having had 12 colonies up and running for a while. Income got absurd after a while, and I kept using that income to make factories and production buildings just to have more money. I don't think I've ever finished a game with this much money stored up.

There was discussion earlier about what ideas to use, and here's what I went with

Started with a landlocked gold province in Mexico next to Totanoc, and then blitzed them on day one. Siege ability helped out a lot with getting through the Mesoamericans quickly so I could use their provinces' income to fuel my colonies. Fort maintenance is in there because high level forts are ridiculously expensive and I knew I'd have to blanket the Americas with them to keep my tradition up.

All in all, a very successful run. There was a rather boring stretch where all I was doing was taking care of my colonies but I easily could have spent that warring in Europe or Asia. Unfortunately despite being allied with Burgunduy, Scandinavia, Portugal, Japan, and Ming there reached a point where I just never got called into wars. I couldn't figure out why. There were a few wars where I had the majority of the participation score before the invites stopped. Is that what did it?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Estates sound rough. I'm sort of still learning how to play this, I'm assuming I should hold off on Cossacks?

BgRdMchne posted:

Please just say bonuses and penalties. Making up words doesn't make you look smart.

Gotta get my cheevos man. :smug:

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 18, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

I did a few starts before I got going, sometimes they fought over Navarre but most of the time they didn't. I had a really good one where Aragon allied the Ottomans and immediately declared on Castile, wiping their army and taking a province from them. I then managed to grab 2 provinces from Castile right away. Of course, what happened was a 25 stack of Castilian rebels spawned in Aragon, crossed over the border and took them back. :argh:

Edit: Also: I'm back, baby!

Not really sure where to go from here though. Aragon stomped Castile and I'm not strong enough to take on them or Portugal head on, plus the Ottomans still won't ally me.
Jesus so Aragon owns all of Iberia except Portugal, who also owns Morocco, and Spain was really serious about continuing the reconquista all the way through North Africa to the holy land?

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Strudel Man posted:

I tried forming Inca. Even managed to keep up to just 4 military tech behind Spain, when they showed up and dumped 40,000 men on my shores. :sigh:

I feel like with any of the Nahuatl, Maya or Inca starts, pushing your mil tech is just a gamble that the first western power to see you will only manage to put 12000 or so guys on you. Even with 70k troops on your side the kind of large tech difference you'll see when the first Europeans show up is pretty steep otherwise. My most successful games in the old world have all focused on using monarch power to core, culture convert, and increase development. Having Spain strip 300 development from you doesn't hurt much at all when it's same culture cored land and you have 1000 more where that came from. Their colonial nation is going to choke to death on your separatists and you've just hit the Westernize button.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Got Sun God around when El Dorado came out so it might be different now but I think a really important part of an Inca run is being ready to westernize as soon as the Europeans start colonizing South America. They seem a lot better at naval invasions now than they were back then but they probably won't have 40 transport ships ready to unload their whole army at once, at least not early on. Outnumber them badly enough and you should be able to beat Spain. I think scorched earth got a buff if I'm not wrong and those low supply limit provinces in the Venezuela/Colombia area would wear out a 40k stack pretty quick.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
They won't get separatists, because provinces taken from primitives by non-primitives don't have separatism

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Re: Estates, here is my understanding.

Loyalty changes are permanent, while Influence is usually temporary and will expire after a decade or two. It's really easy to build up high Loyalty just by keeping your estates minimally happy and (almost) always taking the +Loyalty options in events. All three of the big campaigns I've played in Cossacks I've had Loyalty 80-100 for all my estates after about 100 years into the game, it's sort of like Patriarch Authority in that it just takes a while to build up.

Influence is trickier, usually you're getting some bonuses in exchange for a temporary boost in Influence. Higher Influence increases your nationwide passive bonuses from estates and unlocks stronger interactions, but you have to balance that with not getting too close to 80 and risking triggering an event.

There are essentially three bonuses you can get from Estates: local provincial bonuses, nationwide scaling bonuses, and stuff from interactions.

Local bonuses, which increase at 60+ Loyalty (so you want to try and maintain at least that, usually, which is not hard).
Nobles give +50% Manpower and +15% Fort Defense at 60+ Loyalty. Give them high-value forts for the defense bonus, otherwise lovely land with a preference for high manpower.
Clergy give -2 RR and +2% Missionary Strength at 60+ Loyalty. Give them newly conquered provinces you need to convert or otherwise benefit from the -RR, otherwise lovely land.
Burghers give +50% Trade Power and +10% Goods Produced at high loyalty. Give them trade power provinces.

The provincial bonuses are really great and easy to maintain, they're unaffected by Influence so you can take advantage of them with minimal micromanagement.

The nationwide scaling bonuses are based on both your Loyalty and Influence scores, it can be pretty tough to try and balance your Influence to maintain high passive bonuses. I look at these largely as extras and not something you generally want to micromanage toward.

Interactions can get you a lot of cool things. Cash, manpower, monarch points, cheap advisers. The stronger ones require higher Influence and also scale with Influence. These give you a ton of flexibility, you trade Influence or sometimes lowered Loyalty for on-demand bonuses.

So I guess to summarize, you can get good benefits just doing the minimal interaction with Estates. Give them enough provinces to keep them happy, choose +Loyalty, enjoy your easy -2RR and +2% Missionary Strength for conquered provinces, +15% Fort Defense where needed, etc. From there it's simple to bump up Influence with your interactions if you need to grab some cash or points or what have you.

Estates really only become tricky if you're actively trying to micromanage them to eke out the max passive bonuses and monarch points on cooldown.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Yashichi posted:

They won't get separatists, because provinces taken from primitives by non-primitives don't have separatism

Is this new? I overextended my colonial nation to gently caress once and remember seeing a bunch of rebels pop up afterwards

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Whorelord posted:

Is this new? I overextended my colonial nation to gently caress once and remember seeing a bunch of rebels pop up afterwards

No, it's not true. My New Castile just exploded from overextension which spawned a ton of separatists.

Maybe he meant that primitives conquered by non-primitives will not have separatists if they don't end up in a colonial nation.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Pellisworth posted:

Re: Estates, here is my understanding.

Loyalty changes are permanent, while Influence is usually temporary and will expire after a decade or two. It's really easy to build up high Loyalty just by keeping your estates minimally happy and (almost) always taking the +Loyalty options in events. All three of the big campaigns I've played in Cossacks I've had Loyalty 80-100 for all my estates after about 100 years into the game, it's sort of like Patriarch Authority in that it just takes a while to build up.

Influence is trickier, usually you're getting some bonuses in exchange for a temporary boost in Influence. Higher Influence increases your nationwide passive bonuses from estates and unlocks stronger interactions, but you have to balance that with not getting too close to 80 and risking triggering an event.

There are essentially three bonuses you can get from Estates: local provincial bonuses, nationwide scaling bonuses, and stuff from interactions.

Local bonuses, which increase at 60+ Loyalty (so you want to try and maintain at least that, usually, which is not hard).
Nobles give +50% Manpower and +15% Fort Defense at 60+ Loyalty. Give them high-value forts for the defense bonus, otherwise lovely land with a preference for high manpower.
Clergy give -2 RR and +2% Missionary Strength at 60+ Loyalty. Give them newly conquered provinces you need to convert or otherwise benefit from the -RR, otherwise lovely land.
Burghers give +50% Trade Power and +10% Goods Produced at high loyalty. Give them trade power provinces.

The provincial bonuses are really great and easy to maintain, they're unaffected by Influence so you can take advantage of them with minimal micromanagement.

The nationwide scaling bonuses are based on both your Loyalty and Influence scores, it can be pretty tough to try and balance your Influence to maintain high passive bonuses. I look at these largely as extras and not something you generally want to micromanage toward.

Interactions can get you a lot of cool things. Cash, manpower, monarch points, cheap advisers. The stronger ones require higher Influence and also scale with Influence. These give you a ton of flexibility, you trade Influence or sometimes lowered Loyalty for on-demand bonuses.

So I guess to summarize, you can get good benefits just doing the minimal interaction with Estates. Give them enough provinces to keep them happy, choose +Loyalty, enjoy your easy -2RR and +2% Missionary Strength for conquered provinces, +15% Fort Defense where needed, etc. From there it's simple to bump up Influence with your interactions if you need to grab some cash or points or what have you.

Estates really only become tricky if you're actively trying to micromanage them to eke out the max passive bonuses and monarch points on cooldown.

This is a good post and estates are good. Sorry to all the haters.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Antti posted:

Project Qing is over the hump:

It's now just a question of deciding when to push the button and lose my "cavalry stack of death" superpower and gain permanent claims on all of China.

So I'm burning my way through China and Japan, as you do, and France has shown up, grabbing some land in South China and Korea so that they border me.

I am able to maintain parity with them in mil tech so there's zero reason to go Qing and westernize, right? It's already 1674 so I have a hunch the MPs spent on westernizing are better spent on teching. The +75% from nomad is not too big a deal when I get -34% from ideas and monarch points out the rear end by razing Chinese provinces. The only hitch is overextension that I need to keep below 100 or I start getting 30k revolts in China, which I could deal with sure, but not while also fighting a massive war against France or Bukhara+a very large Bahmanis or the Delhi-Bengali alliance.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 18, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Antti posted:

So I'm burning my way through China and Japan, as you do, and France has shown up, grabbing some land in South China and Korea so that they border me.

I am able to maintain parity with them in mil tech so there's zero reason to go Qing and westernize, right? It's already 1674 so I have a hunch the MPs spent on westernizing are better spent on teching. The +75% from nomad is not too big a deal when I get -34% from ideas and monarch points out the rear end by razing Chinese provinces. The only hitch is overextension that I need to keep below 100 or I start getting 30k revolts in China, which I could deal with sure, but not while also fighting a massive war against France or Bukhara+a very large Bahmanis or the Delhi-Bengali alliance.

So for your raze strategy, do you raze & keep? Or is it catch & release? Are you farming what's left of China for MPs?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Oh yeah, that's something I was gonna ask about actually. I've been doing raze & keep, with a few fat provinces I don't core and go back to milk every two decades (that's why I'm constantly at 50 to 90 percent OE). They're also my insurance against a sudden drop in HU.

Since I've basically stopped giving a poo poo about AE, would it be better to start doing raze and keep? So maybe grab half of Wu in one war, raze everything, release it as smaller nations and repeat later?

Another nice thing is that apparently the HU penalty from development caps out at 3 so I lose 5 HU every year and that's it regardless of how big I get.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
So apparently dishonoring the defender of the faith calls lowers your trust with every existing nation. Maybe I should have considered that before I dishonored 10 of them.

Whorelord posted:

They don't get the 30 years of separatism modifier. You can still stuff your colonial nation full of provinces and the overextension + intolerance can make them revolt. The AI is usually pretty sane about overextension though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

And now Britain turned up, ate all of the rest of Japan in one bite and are having quite the ambitions:

Upside is that I have someone to play off against France if necessary, I suppose.

Edit: The Japanese clusterfuck spawned two 60k stacks of rebels who crossed the border and overran my three provinces :argh:

And now they somehow made their way over to French Korea and are poised next to my border :gonk:

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 18, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

More from curiosity than any real desire or intent, but is it theoretically possible to make the world in EU 4 bigger? As in, add more fillable space in the New World so it could have room for three Pacific Oceans and a bunch of continents?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think so? Granted I have no actual technical knowledge of the game but there is a clear line where the map just kind of slides over and a Random New World gets plopped down into, so unless there's a limit to how big that area can be for technical reasons I assume it's theoretically possible to make it absolutely huge.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

That's what I was thinking as well! It'd be cool if so, my computer can handle EU4 really well for some reason, so I think it'd still be happy with more space. It'd probably also need some range tweaking, thinking about it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Trujillo posted:

Got Sun God around when El Dorado came out so it might be different now but I think a really important part of an Inca run is being ready to westernize as soon as the Europeans start colonizing South America.
That's what I was hoping for, but I still haven't seen a single actual colony. They just attack, and are effectively unbeatable. :|

BgRdMchne posted:

Or at least boni, which would be the proper Latin plural.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 19, 2015

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Can my nordic name be Bonj Malusson

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

BgRdMchne posted:

What this guy is saying, forever. You are doing words wrong.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

I work in ocean science and constantly hear people use "octopi" as the plural of "octopus."

It is a Greek word.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

I work in ocean science and constantly hear people use "octopi" as the plural of "octopus."

It is a Greek word.
At least that one is an understandable mistake. Bonii only makes sense as the plural of bonius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Node posted:

Sorry you can't appreciate sophisticated pluralii, scrub. :smug:

• Locked thread