Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

Just finished the game, some thoughts:
(Slight Spoiler)
It would have been nice if it had been clear that the thing preventing me from progressing in the Minuteman faction was that I hadn't been banished from the Institute yet.

I had to ask this thread 3 times how to progress, then when it was explained to me I felt like an idiot. I really feel like the Minuteman ending is the best ending since you don't have to destroy the other factions to get it done. It lets you keep doing radiant quests for the Brotherhood, the MInutemen and the Railroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I had to ask this thread 3 times how to progress, then when it was explained to me I felt like an idiot. I really feel like the Minuteman ending is the best ending since you don't have to destroy the other factions to get it done. It lets you keep doing radiant quests for the Brotherhood, the MInutemen and the Railroad.

I think the Institute would disagree with that assessment of the Minutemen ending

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The usage of synths as both faction stooges as well as location related mobs really is a poorly thought out design decision.

There are at least three places (probably a lot more) where you explore a seemingly abandoned location only to run into synths on your way out, there's the retirement home, the fish packing factory and some other location which I can't remember... so you go through those places and on your way out all of a sudden synths appear and they proceed to just greet you. could have just had a trigger in the code that has regular Raiders spawn or nothing at all really cause it makes no sense for synths to keep spawning in those circumstances if the faction is friendly.

Of course you kill them anyway cause that's what you do in this game I guess.

I'd say your perception of it is what's poorly thought out. Given the nature of the Institute, it's more likely that the synths are their to research than to pull a Team Rocket on you.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

:goonsay:

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I completed the main story last night on Survival without taking any of the weapon or sneaking perks, which made some of the later battles rather hard (on the plus side I did get to make some use out of the artillery beacons).

One plot point that I liked was how Father is deliberately written to lack empathy. It would have been easy to make his relationship with the Survivor more naturally "familial", but the way he talks actually did make it believable that he was raised without parents in a sterile environment and never learned how to relate to people. He seems to recognize this on some level which is why he shut down the cybernetics program and appoints an outsider as the next director in the Institute ending.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I want some plastic surgery done, but the Diamond City surgeon is dead, because quests. Any other face hacks out there? I just want some scars and tattoos to commemorate my 5,000's raider kill.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Risking your body going bonkers, try checking if you can open character creation via console.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Nitrox posted:

I want some plastic surgery done, but the Diamond City surgeon is dead, because quests. Any other face hacks out there? I just want some scars and tattoos to commemorate my 5,000's raider kill.

Doctor Sun takes over the Mega Surgery Center (and thus facial reconstruction) after Doc Crocker bites it. He'll disappear from the outside and move in there during his business hours. The door is directly to the left of where Doctor Sun normally stands, between him and the chems dude.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
:swoon:

This is how my prewar husband would have looked. Had he not been killed.

Meet me at the chapel. Bring a Fat Man and Psychobuff.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 18, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
"Poisoner's Fat Man: Target is poisoned for 10 seconds"

Thank god, because the Fat Man was so loving weak. With that 10 seconds of poison damage, they won't stand a chance.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

JackBadass posted:

I'd say your perception of it is what's poorly thought out. Given the nature of the Institute, it's more likely that the synths are their to research than to pull a Team Rocket on you.

At least for the fish packing plant it certainly seems set up to be a horror moment. You go in to the plant and there's nobody there, just loads of dead bodies, which builds up tension, and then when you get through, suddenly without warning there are synths everywhere. The tension of that event is then ruined if the synths are all friendly to you. It's like if Ripley had finally come face to face with the Alien and it waved to her and said "how do you do?"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Reveilled posted:

It's like if Ripley had finally come face to face with the Alien and it waved to her and said "how do you do?"

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Reveilled posted:

At least for the fish packing plant it certainly seems set up to be a horror moment. You go in to the plant and there's nobody there, just loads of dead bodies, which builds up tension, and then when you get through, suddenly without warning there are synths everywhere. The tension of that event is then ruined if the synths are all friendly to you. It's like if Ripley had finally come face to face with the Alien and it waved to her and said "how do you do?"

If they show up when you're friendly, then the tension is relieved, because instead of an expected ambush, your backup has arrived. It works both ways for a horror moment. Not every tense situation needs to escalate for it to function well as part of a narrative. Having said that, I don't trust Gen 1 and 2, tin bucket terminators, just waiting to turn on you.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What am I even supposed to do with the "ice-cold Nuka-Cola Quantum"? In what situation can I actually make proper use of 975 HP?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Friar Zucchini posted:

What am I even supposed to do with the "ice-cold Nuka-Cola Quantum"? In what situation can I actually make proper use of 975 HP?

It applies the health really fast. Faster than stimpacks so you use it in an emergency.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Friar Zucchini posted:

One in which you're taking a lot of damage. Heals are over time so you can basically use it as a regen while you facetank a minigun or something.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Did anyone else lie on their BOS medical exam? He asked me if I had any diseases and I had no option to explain about the molerat disease I had so my character lied about it.

He also asked me if I ever had sexual relations with a non-human. Off the top of my head: synth, ghoul, super mutant. Oh and a suit of power armour because Danse never takes it off.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

mackintosh posted:

If they show up when you're friendly, then the tension is relieved, because instead of an expected ambush, your backup has arrived. It works both ways for a horror moment. Not every tense situation needs to escalate for it to function well as part of a narrative. Having said that, I don't trust Gen 1 and 2, tin bucket terminators, just waiting to turn on you.

Well if it worked for you that's great I guess, but for me it was just disappointing. Ultimately I'm playing a video game, at the same time the tension is building up there's also an anticipation that I'm about to be doing something cool or interesting. Discovering that what I'm actually doing is uncrouching and wandering past a bunch of nameless NPCs to get to the chest at the end doesn't feel cool or interesting, so it's defusing the tension in a boring way.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

One in which you're taking a lot of damage. Heals are over time so you can basically use it as a regen while you facetank a minigun or something.
Yeah but I facetank everything. A little while ago I tried to start the USS Constitution quest but the bot that you talk to to start the quest was already dead so everything on the ship was hostile already, they were giving me everything they had, meanwhile I was kinda poking around underneath trying to find a way to un-dead the robot and start the quest, lost like maybe 10% health while I was at it. And that wasn't even using power armor. I'm pretty sure I made a mistake picking Normal difficulty cause I've been immortal for like 75% of my first playthrough.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Friar Zucchini posted:

do mini nuke explosions do their damage instantly or over time? You could pop one when you hear the beep of a suicider or the sound of incoming mininukes...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

JackBadass posted:

Research what? I mean, obviously, the game never goes into wtf the synths are doing when they just go places and do nothing but my perception is that those segments were clearly supposed to be about fighting the synths cause you have to have something to fight everywhere you go in this game, the game doesn't even do anything to have those dungeons play out differently if you are allied to the institute, it could have been something as simple as the first synth you run into going "Source of disturbance found, analysis: Institute Operative, Status: Standing down" but instead it's "Hmmm we just randomly showed up here.".

Or really, having any reason for the synths to show up in random places just shooting random Mr. Handys and bystanders would have helped.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Research what? I mean, obviously, the game never goes into wtf the synths are doing when they just go places and do nothing but my perception is that those segments were clearly supposed to be about fighting the synths cause you have to have something to fight everywhere you go in this game, the game doesn't even do anything to have those dungeons play out differently if you are allied to the institute, it could have been something as simple as the first synth you run into going "Source of disturbance found, analysis: Institute Operative, Status: Standing down" but instead it's "Hmmm we just randomly showed up here.".

Or really, having any reason for the synths to show up in random places just shooting random Mr. Handys and bystanders would have helped.

This is the underlying problem. It's almost as if some part of Bethesda didn't get the memo that the Institute was a faction we could side with and forgot to script a replacement generic enemy to show up if we're flagged as faction friendly. This is, as you already mentioned, easily fixed by throwing a courser into the mix, walking up to you and explaining away their presence, securing the location, whatever.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i've got a serious question about powered armor vs normal armor - is there ever any reason NOT to wear powered armor? when i started playing i thought the power cells would be extremely rare and you'd have to really pick what moments you wanted to use the powered armor, but those things are littered all over the wasteland, and once i had 40 or so i just said gently caress it and started pimping out my suit. it seems like even the mods you can apply to powered armor are much more useful than the regular armor mods (lighter weight, more carry weight, woo-loving-hoo!) and it has way better damage resistance. is there ever a point where using power armor is a downside (other than sinking like a brick in water)?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

homeless poster posted:

i've got a serious question about powered armor vs normal armor - is there ever any reason NOT to wear powered armor? when i started playing i thought the power cells would be extremely rare and you'd have to really pick what moments you wanted to use the powered armor, but those things are littered all over the wasteland, and once i had 40 or so i just said gently caress it and started pimping out my suit. it seems like even the mods you can apply to powered armor are much more useful than the regular armor mods (lighter weight, more carry weight, woo-loving-hoo!) and it has way better damage resistance. is there ever a point where using power armor is a downside (other than sinking like a brick in water)?

Some upgrades (living objects highlight and the recon-scope effect one) can cause quest-breaking bugs with NPCs going hostile, but other than those, no, not really. It's more difficult to sneak with a power armor, but obviously you wouldn't be going that route to begin with.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

mackintosh posted:

Some upgrades (living objects highlight and the recon-scope effect one) can cause quest-breaking bugs with NPCs going hostile

god drat do they ever. it's a shame because the red bad-guy pips on your radar don't show up until after you're getting shot at (unlike FO3/NV where it was perception based) so having the living object tracker was making exploration so much simpler.

the entire robot town went loving apeshit on me just for walking up, and so i figured it must just be a town of hostiles. it wasn't until i was reading something on a wiki and saved way past that point that i realized i could have maybe spoke to the robots but WHOOPS they were offended that my helmet had a living object tracking implant :mad:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Friar Zucchini posted:

Yeah but I facetank everything. A little while ago I tried to start the USS Constitution quest but the bot that you talk to to start the quest was already dead so everything on the ship was hostile already, they were giving me everything they had, meanwhile I was kinda poking around underneath trying to find a way to un-dead the robot and start the quest, lost like maybe 10% health while I was at it. And that wasn't even using power armor. I'm pretty sure I made a mistake picking Normal difficulty cause I've been immortal for like 75% of my first playthrough.

You can change difficulty on the fly under Gameplay Settings.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

homeless poster posted:

Yeah, I've completed the game and I didn't really see any point to ever leaving my power armour. I think I did it twice to do some swimming.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How cringeworthy are the romance dialogue options? I've been too scared to touch them.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I found the power armor to generally be a little too annoying what with the fact that you're an invincible death god even without using it and the annoying requirement to remove it before you sleep or craft anything, its major appeal was actually the increased carrying capacity as far as I am concerned.

Jay Rust posted:

How cringeworthy are the romance dialogue options? I've been too scared to touch them.

I skipped past most of the dialog (I mean once you see the pip boy guy giving you a thumbs up you know you got the right response so why listen to any of it) but once the flirtation succeeds Piper constantly fawns over you and about what a lucky gal she is and it's kinda cringeworthy but you really don't have to pay attention to any of it and you get a nice post-coitus XP boost so whatever.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

You listen to their personal sob stories, then it pops up with a flirt option right after they're done. It's weird and cringey for that reason but what little writing there is for those options aren't terrible.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jay Rust posted:

hey, can we talk? i've watched you pick the locks on 47 random objects and also do the same drug 38 times. i need to tell you about my violent past, and i was hoping you can heal my emotional wounds with your penis.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

homeless poster posted:

I don't like the hue color in power armor

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I modded my power armor helmet to have the Vault-Boy Light thinking it would just grab the color of my pipboy. Thinking nothing of it, I ventured into the glowing sea, I found my way into a cave and flipped my light on so I could see around in the rubble. :wtc: is this light. Why did anyone think this would be helpful in any way whatsoever. It actually is more confusing to have the Vault-Boy Light on than to just try and fumble around in the dark.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 18, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

neonbregna posted:

I don't like the hue color in power armor

It really is terrible.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Reveilled posted:

I think it's actually pretty funny going up against Coursers who never have any clue you're there to kill them. I found a Brotherhood Knight (actually a Legendary Brotherhood Knight) going up against a Courser and he looked like he needed some assistance. So I laid into the Courser and his back-up grenade synths, and at no point did he seem to aggro on me. It's like he thought I was just really bad at aiming.

The synths that teleported in after he died even seemed to hesitate for a bit before we fought. It's like they can never figure out how I'm always there at the scene of a Courser death, and Father has eyes everywhere but apparently not in enough places to figure out I'm not on his side.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I did one of the courser missions for the railroad and when I showed up he was sleeping (why?) so I just did a sandman kill and BAM three synths teleport out of nowhere and are like "Nothing to report sir."

Great.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

McSpankWich posted:

I modded my power armor helmet to have the Vault-Boy Light thinking it would just grab the color of my pipboy. Thinking nothing of it, I ventured into the glowing sea, I found my way into a cave and flipped my light on so I could see around in the rubble. :wtc: is this light. Why did anyone think this would be helpful in any way whatsoever. It actually is more confusing to have the Vault-Boy Light on than to just try and fumble around in the dark.

Hahaha yeah that light is wonderfully useless. Hmm Vault-Boy light, sounds funny, and I want a green light. First dark place I go to and switch the light on, :psyduck:. I switched it back to a sane light pretty quickly.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Has anyone had an issue where the mouse cursor gets stuck on the top of the Pip-Boy map and won't go up or down using a controller on PC?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

orcane posted:

Hahaha yeah that light is wonderfully useless. Hmm Vault-Boy light, sounds funny, and I want a green light. First dark place I go to and switch the light on, :psyduck:. I switched it back to a sane light pretty quickly.

If you equip a miner helmet it turns it into a spot light rather than use the Pip Boy light. There might be a mod out there that switches it already but it's honestly a big reason why I always have one in my inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

What armour is that? Is it a paint option for combat armour?

• Locked thread