Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You can delete some of that. The betas don't auto remove once they're finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

trip report: 4 small beams on an Asp work very well :getin:

conversely, medium multicannons seem kinda lovely: with the spin-up time, low damage and limited fire arcs they don't feel quite punchy enough

So what to put in the 2 medium hardpoints? Frag cannons are only useful in close quarters, cannons are great against bigger ships but in an Asp you don't want to tackle ships bigger than you unless forced to, railguns/plasma accelerators are overkill and really taxing on your powerplant and distributor.

Boy we do need more weapons/weapon variants back, give me back those high-powered multicannons

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 18, 2015

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I am heading out to find aliens. I know they are out there.

This place calls to me. It sings in strange voices.

Others have too.

There are aliens here. I can feel it.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
So I went ahead and Detailed Surface Scanned every rock, moon, planet and star in our newest system, LHS 512.

My report:

There are two ringed planets (both Class gas giants, LHS 512 A5, and LHS 512 B3). Both are poo poo for mining (depleted icy and depleted rocky / icy, respectively).

Almost every other solid body in the system, planet or moon, is also depleted and icy. The one exception is the planet closest to the primary, LHS 512 A1, which is deleted high metal content, but cannot be landed on. There are no surface outposts.

LHS 512 has two stars. The primary is Class M, scoopable. The other is a Class L brown dwarf, and not scoopable. There are asteroid belts around each star, both of which are also depleted.

LHS 512 has two Outposts, Coulomb Platform, orbiting LHS 512 A2, and Halley Prospect, around LHS 512 A3. Both are tiny, and notably, only Coulomb has a commodity market and Outfitting, while only Halley Prospect offers Repairs. Both are Extraction / Refinery economies.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So another system with jack and poo poo.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

itsnice2bnice posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the SRV is a little buggy?

If it was a big buggy it wouldn't fit in your ship.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Hi there, I'm a disabled gamer. I was injured about 12 years ago in a diving accident, and I can't feel from the chest down nor move my fingers in order to hold things or push buttons. In order to adapt, I bought a SmartNav4 headtracking mouse and I supplement that with voiceattack. Since those are two of my three primary adaptive equipment pieces, and because both products are popular with the elite dangerous crowd, should I try this game? Because drat is it pricey…

Other than head tracking/Voice commands, how many other buttons do you need to press to play this game?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gonkish posted:

How many spacebux should I have before even thinking of hitting up the 'vette? I don't have the rank for it, either, so it's sort of a moot point, but still.

I have about 600M Cr invested in mine -- but that's 100% A-fitted with all the bells and whistles.

This is my build specifically:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_c...MxTQ==?bn=Vette
(Keep in mind this is with the Founder's world discount factored in -- getting that system permit is probably the best quality of life improvement in this game.)

Mercurius posted:

Aww yiss. Is that the Black Friday paint job? It looks baller.

You, me and Doot should hang out and get screenshots of our behemoth faction ships :getin:

Name a place and I'll be there -- eventually. 13LY jump radius is still a bit painful.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

uh zip zoom posted:

Hi there, I'm a disabled gamer. I was injured about 12 years ago in a diving accident, and I can't feel from the chest down nor move my fingers in order to hold things or push buttons. In order to adapt, I bought a SmartNav4 headtracking mouse and I supplement that with voiceattack. Since those are two of my three primary adaptive equipment pieces, and because both products are popular with the elite dangerous crowd, should I try this game? Because drat is it pricey…

Other than head tracking/Voice commands, how many other buttons do you need to press to play this game?

You could probably get away without most of the buttons but you probably need equivalente to WASD for horizobtal thrust, Q and E for tabbing menus and yaw and something like R and F for vertical thrust (especially important), and both fire buttons. If you choose your loadouts right you could have just the one fire button.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I feel like it should be mentioned again because it is a game changer for deep space explorers:

:siren:You can dump heat sinks in super cruise again!:siren:

Also the CG in Hel involves bringing small quantities of a rare good from the Bento system -- about 100 LY away. Probably a good way to make some cash for folks in Cobras and Asps.

There's also a bounty hunting one.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 18, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm not gonna say it would be impossible, but I can't imagine having an easy time of setting things up to work acceptably well. I believe there's a single player demo with some basic training scenarios available, I'd strongly suggest fiddling with that before committing to a purchase.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sard posted:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/02A4D4A2D3D3D4C----020234v4400d2i2f.AwRj4llMaA==.Aw1-kA==?bn=Explorer

This won't jump as far as an Asp or Diamondback, but it should go far enough to let you explore for the sake of exploration (you won't reach Sag A^ quickly or be able to go into the more remote stars) and it will do it not just fairly cheaply, but robustly. Two buggies, two sets of heat sinks, the ability to boost, and a repair unit in case you still manage to cook your internal systems.

To be honest, I might use this myself for a quick short-range explorer to gather materials- heat sinks swapped out for better thrusters for high-G worlds.

e: The Type-6 can also make a good budget explorer, just scale down the AFMU to cut the price to whatever you can afford. Probably not nearly as fun to fly through canyons as a Viper, but it does have great cockpit visibility.

Is there any way to tell where I can buy this ship? I'm floating around in my Eagle from like 1 year ago, I've seen a lot of Asps in the shipyards, but I have only about 100k to my name right now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

tofes posted:

Are you supposed to do anything special when you're waiting for someone to contact you for a cargo delivery destination? I played for a couple hours earlier, never got contacted, and just returned to the game now to find out I've failed the mission (there was no time limit).

My understanding is that the time frame they give you is like a literal clock time in Galactic Standard Time, which I'm pretty sure is just GMT. You can see a time readout on your dash while you're docked, and I'm not sure how to get that clock otherwise besides "open a GMT clock in the other monitor". So when it gives you a target system and a time frame of 23:45-23:51, they don't mean it's gonna be 23 minutes from now. They mean your dude will literally spawn in between the times of 23:45 and 23:51 GMT.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

deadly_pudding posted:

My understanding is that the time frame they give you is like a literal clock time in Galactic Standard Time, which I'm pretty sure is just GMT. You can see a time readout on your dash while you're docked, and I'm not sure how to get that clock otherwise besides "open a GMT clock in the other monitor". So when it gives you a target system and a time frame of 23:45-23:51, they don't mean it's gonna be 23 minutes from now. They mean your dude will literally spawn in between the times of 23:45 and 23:51 GMT.

I ran two of these missions last night and both of my targets were very punctual. I arrived about 50% through the window in each instance. Each target (each was an Anaconda; both were Competent) was in supercruise about 300C out from my FDL's 2A FSD Interdictor. I was able to catch up within maybe 20 seconds. The interdictions were smooth. But, boy, do I suck at flying. The first guy basically rekt my canopy and I finished him off at 7% hull. The second one went much better, I was able to stick to his tail. Any tips for poor combat pilots like myself?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There is also a clock in the map iirc

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK so apparently in a drunken haze yesterday I bought horizons and I dont know what the gently caress I'm doing other than I hate how the mouse controls in the game. I'm planning on getting a joystick or hotas and I dont know if should get the thrustmaster 1600000000000 or the T.Flight. The t.flight I can get for 40 bucks with free shipping over here but the 160000000 cost me 37 with 25 buck shipping. Normally I'd get the HEART based one but is the premium from the shipping worth it over the T.Flight?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

OK so apparently in a drunken haze yesterday I bought horizons and I dont know what the gently caress I'm doing other than I hate how the mouse controls in the game. I'm planning on getting a joystick or hotas and I dont know if should get the thrustmaster 1600000000000 or the T.Flight. The t.flight I can get for 40 bucks with free shipping over here but the 160000000 cost me 37 with 25 buck shipping. Normally I'd get the HEART based one but is the premium from the shipping worth it over the T.Flight?

I got the flight and it's good and works well.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It plays fine on a 360 controller, too, but yeah it's pretty much designed for a HOTAS. Welcome to our
space  hell

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Try mapping yaw to the mouse and roll to the keyboard, most people generally find that much better.

Mouse and keyboard are actually pretty good in this game, the defaults are just a bit lovely.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

DarthBlingBling posted:

The remaining beta files are also what allows a player to not have to redownload everything when it ends and the update is released, since the launcher copies the files already on your HD to the main folder.
It would be nice if there was an option to have it clean out the unneeded beta files once it is done updating though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

deadly_pudding posted:

If you have a Saitek X52 like me you can have the clock on the throttle changed to the GMT standard Elite uses and be a real space cowboy! :smuggo:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm not sure how to get that clock otherwise besides "open a GMT clock in the other monitor".
I believe that both the Galaxy Map and the GalNet feed you can access via the Galactic Powers option in the Navigation panel have each a clock with the current GMT time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dongattack posted:

and suggestions for:
Space Trucker radio station

Shazbot Syndicate :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ciaphas posted:

Whem mining a belt does it matter which rock I aim at? Do I need to move the laser around at all or can I just tape down the fire button while I fiddle with the refinery?

Anyone? I know people here don't much like mining but I think I'd find it relaxing :shobon:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

THANKS

So i bought a bobblehead, how do you get it to show up ingame?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dongattack posted:

THANKS

So i bought a bobblehead, how do you get it to show up ingame?

Under the third tab when outfitting your ship (same place you'd apply paintjobs), you'll have a whole bunch of slots that correspond to a place on your dashboard which to place your bobbleheads.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 18, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I love you, N4I. I've been wondering what my FDL will look like with the murder skin on it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone? I know people here don't much like mining but I think I'd find it relaxing :shobon:
You can just tape the button down. Eventually it will stop producing fragments and you'll have to move on to another one after scooping stuff up (or having collector limpets do it for you). Prospector limpets will show you the composition of the rock and also let you know when it's depleted and time to move on to the next one.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesStant/status/677449510784786432

:frogsiren:

Frontier has arranged for Elite to be advertised at showings of Star Wars across the UK and North America. Expect a second surge of new players, holy poo poo.

That had to cost a shitload but putting an advertisement for a spacegame in front of every nerd in the western world when they are at peak space nostalgia is probably the best investment they could have possibly made.

e: does anyone have a primo bugfuck crazy anaconda exploration fit? I'm looking for something that's completely self sustaining and set up for planetary exploration for that sweet, sweet FSD booster.

Bushiz fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 18, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Dongattack posted:

Is there any way to tell where I can buy this ship? I'm floating around in my Eagle from like 1 year ago, I've seen a lot of Asps in the shipyards, but I have only about 100k to my name right now.

eddb.io can help point you towards the right systems. Probably. You should get at least a few million credits though, so you can buy an advanced scanner and a good frameshift drive.

Ciaphas posted:

Any rock is fine, just prospect first. It's best to mine from the spin axis pole so that the rock is less likely to cream your collectors.

Bushiz posted:

That had to cost a shitload but putting an advertisement for a spacegame in front of every nerd in the western world when they are at peak space nostalgia is probably the best investment they could have possibly made

I imagine Frontiers offices are just a cacaphony of high-fives this morning.

Sard fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 18, 2015

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

DarthBlingBling posted:

Ok I deleted the beta stuff but why do I have 2 clients now, FORC-FDEV-D-1001 and FORC-FDEV-D-1000? Can I simply delete the 32bit one? I guess Horizon poo poo is in elite-dangerous-64 which takes another 6 Gb and spares.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

froody guy posted:

Ok I deleted the beta stuff but why do I have 2 clients now, FORC-FDEV-D-1001 and FORC-FDEV-D-1000? Can I simply delete the 32bit one? I guess Horizon poo poo is in elite-dangerous-64 which takes another 6 Gb and spares.

I have Horizons and I deleted everything except the 64 bit elite and I'm cool as a cucumber with my spacin'

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Apparently there's a treasure hunt going on as a Community Goal event.

There's an entry on the GalNet titled 'Another Jeffress Treasure Hunt' which has the clues and stuff if anyone's interested. I think you can win a load of credits or something if you solve the puzzle.

Here's the thread on the official forums: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=214076

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

KakerMix posted:

I have Horizons and I deleted everything except the 64 bit elite and I'm cool as a cucumber with my spacin'

You're the man :hf:

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Bushiz posted:

That had to cost a shitload but putting an advertisement for a spacegame in front of every nerd in the western world when they are at peak space nostalgia is probably the best investment they could have possibly made.

e: does anyone have a primo bugfuck crazy anaconda exploration fit? I'm looking for something that's completely self sustaining and set up for planetary exploration for that sweet, sweet FSD booster.

Here's my Exploraconda. I sacrificed a little jump range so I could hold some space buggies.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/04A5D6A5D5A8D5C----------------B33cv2----f4242f2i.Iw18ZlA=.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Exploraconda

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
http://www.gfycat.com/SmoggyRegularAcornweevil

Horizons

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Can you mess with HUD colors from in game or does it require .ini tweaking?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hahah thats a sick jump. :rock:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sard posted:

eddb.io can help point you towards the right systems. Probably. You should get at least a few million credits though, so you can buy an advanced scanner and a good frameshift drive.

Didn't see this post until now. Um, any money making tips then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So last night I landed on my first planet and tooled around in the SRV for a while then went back to my ship and called it a night. Logging in this morning I can't launch my ship from the surface, the prompt to start the engines/launch isn't right there between my artificial horizon like it was when I first landed and the button does nothing. I've tried getting back in my SRV and driving around a bit before loading back up, still can't. Tried the ship repair/reboot, nothing.

Do I have to suicide? What's the deal here?

• Locked thread