Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

"Oh no, please, after you, Your loving Highness."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

*Francis Manapul
I just assume Jim Lee designs all the costumes now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think Jim Lee's really done it since the launch, or since he got off of JL in the first year anyway.
The DCYou stuff was pretty much all by the series artists like Aaron Kuder for buzzcut Supes, Greg Cupullo for RobobunnyJimbat, Trevor McCarthy's dumb tribal warrior Aquaman, Jason Fabok and maybe Francis Manapul for the Darkseid War God JLs.
From the last solicits at least Bruce and Clark are returning to the regular N52 costumes for the 50th issues, which is a bit of a missed opportunity for some tweaks.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 18, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I keep forgetting they did mowhawk Storm :3:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I know it was said the second the first images came out and has been said a billion times again afterwards but I feel I'm justified in adding my voice to this comparison:
Motherfucker looks exactly like Ivan Ooze.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I know it was said the second the first images came out and has been said a billion times again afterwards but I feel I'm justified in adding my voice to this comparison:
Motherfucker looks exactly like Ivan Ooze.

I think it's just the lighting that's making Fassbender purple in that pic.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
looks like g'kar or the martian manhunter. it sure as gently caress does not look like apocalypse

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

That's so Apocalypse that it should be lawsuit material.

That's So Apocalypse was my favorite Disney Channel show in the 00s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's weird that he's kind of racist about mutants today though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Michael Clarke Duncan was alive someone physically as imposing as him with that voice and expression might have been cool. Apocalypse's design is very imposing.

Then again, whatever, this is more of a Messiah type figure and those tend to be a bit more lithe. I swear to God my hope is that somehow through this movie we get a surprise and Cable shows up.

And the DC redesigns are sad. The original Anti Monitor has this horrific opposite of life deaths grin thing going and now it's lost.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gatts posted:

And the DC redesigns are sad. The original Anti Monitor has this horrific opposite of life deaths grin thing going and now it's lost.

He does look more like the/a Monitor now, so I get where the idea came from. But, god drat, he looks so much like a knock-off Apocalypse that it doesn't matter what kind of good idea went into the design.

Even worse, the Anti-Monitor had two things really key to his look: the color scheme, and more importantly the rictus-grinning Mega Man boss head. A-M's whole purpose these days is to make you say "oh poo poo, this escalated!" when he shows up on covers and last page splashes; why would you make him less recognizable, thereby diluting that impact? Maybe I'm just too old to get it.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Gatts posted:

If Michael Clarke Duncan was alive someone physically as imposing as him with that voice and expression might have been cool. Apocalypse's design is very imposing.

Then again, whatever, this is more of a Messiah type figure and those tend to be a bit more lithe. I swear to God my hope is that somehow through this movie we get a surprise and Cable shows up.

Aw man, now I remembered that Michael Clarke Duncan died :(

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Say Nothing posted:

At least it's not movie Apocalypse.

That's a good joke, but I know Ivan Ooze when I see him :smug:

edit: but I don't see previous posts, that would be crazy.

Buckets fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 19, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They had to know that getting the guy who played Ivan Ooze dressed up like a purple alien was gonna bite them in the rear end. They had to.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Uh, Apocalypse isn't an alien. He's a mutant. This is like comics 101 please be suitably ashamed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

They had to know that getting the guy who played Ivan Ooze dressed up like a purple alien was gonna bite them in the rear end. They had to.

These movies are p. much a lock for profit and they're too cheap/poorly made to compete with Marvel's offerings--which is saying a lot because Marvel stuff is deeply flawed--so what else is going to build buzz other than "lol look at how dumb this looks?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostlight posted:

Uh, Apocalypse isn't an alien. He's a mutant. This is like comics 101 please be suitably ashamed.

He's as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you, actually.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

These movies are p. much a lock for profit and they're too cheap/poorly made to compete with Marvel's offerings--which is saying a lot because Marvel stuff is deeply flawed--so what else is going to build buzz other than "lol look at how dumb this looks?"

Another totally rad super-speed scene like the last one?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, all of Singer's X flicks have at least one dope as hell action sequence.

Remember when everyone was making fun of Quicksilver's costume last time around,and he ended up being the best part. I have faith that Apocalypse will end up being pretty drat cool at the very least.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The X-Men is a comic book movie franchise I sort of wished didn't really end up with them having a uniform/costume immediately. It seems like I LIKE their action a bit more when they're all dressed up in everyday sort of clothing.

Admittedly, you do get to a point where characters start to need/wear something like combat suits or something, but I've sort of always wanted to see an X-men movie that spends a lot more time with mutants living in the shadows fighting a covert war and trying their best to fit in with the rest of humanity as they can. The gradual shift to uniforms comes 2-3 films later once the mutants start to get out into the open with the public a lot more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, all of Singer's X flicks have at least one dope as hell action sequence.

Remember when everyone was making fun of Quicksilver's costume last time around,and he ended up being the best part. I have faith that Apocalypse will end up being pretty drat cool at the very least.

Yeah but that didn't make his dumb look better.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

The X-Men is a comic book movie franchise I sort of wished didn't really end up with them having a uniform/costume immediately. It seems like I LIKE their action a bit more when they're all dressed up in everyday sort of clothing.

Admittedly, you do get to a point where characters start to need/wear something like combat suits or something, but I've sort of always wanted to see an X-men movie that spends a lot more time with mutants living in the shadows fighting a covert war and trying their best to fit in with the rest of humanity as they can. The gradual shift to uniforms comes 2-3 films later once the mutants start to get out into the open with the public a lot more.

Yeah, but that's the eternal push-pull with X-men costumes that no two people can agree on. Uniform look, non-uniform, street, tactical, colorful, drab, no one can agree.

Also the Quicksilver scene in DoFP was garbage and X-men 1 had no great action beats to speak of, but that's neither here nor there.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Also the Quicksilver scene in DoFP was garbage

Your scene in DoFP was garbage. :mad:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Teenage Fansub posted:

Your scene in DoFP was garbage. :mad:

Well yes. All of them were.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mind the walrus posted:

Also the Quicksilver scene in DoFP was garbage

Hold on a drat minute.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That guy's never right, losing battle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Remember when everyone said Quicksilver looked stupid on those magazine covers for DOFP, and then in the movie he also looked stupid?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
B-b-ut matrix shot set to "time in a bottle" is true art.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Good grief.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
At least his costume was baller. Right?

Better than the Serbian Flash we got in AoU.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

SirDan3k posted:

B-b-ut matrix shot set to "time in a bottle" is true art.

I wouldn't call it true art, but I thought it was a good scene. Let's try and remember that movies are made for the general public and not comic book fans. It conveys the scope of his powers well while using a song that most people can identify with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah it's serviceable but people wanted to pretend it validates quicksilver. It's just a thing.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
the Quicksilver scene was rad as gently caress and all of the X-Men movies have been fine enough, even X-Men 3 and X-Men: Origins: Wolverine: Beginnings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but that didn't make his dumb look better.

I kinda grew to like it. Better than the other Quicksilver at least.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I kind of want both of them to still be in movies.

AoU Quicksilver, for as little time as he had on screen, was still fun. He didn't totally steal the show, but I really feel like he should get some more screen time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, but that's the eternal push-pull with X-men costumes that no two people can agree on. Uniform look, non-uniform, street, tactical, colorful, drab, no one can agree.

That's why they should do a different thing in each movie, it's not like Fox is hopping off this train anytime soon. If the retro-sequel path stays true the next one should take place sometime in the 90s, a perfect opportunity to abandon all restraint and bring the Jim Lee look to the big screen. Why yes, it is yellow spandex :smugdog:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

I kind of want both of them to still be in movies.

AoU Quicksilver, for as little time as he had on screen, was still fun. He didn't totally steal the show, but I really feel like he should get some more screen time.

If the guy who runs fast doesn't somehow come back from the dead after being told to "walk it off" if he died then they have failed as storytellers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yeah it's serviceable but people wanted to pretend it validates quicksilver. It's just a thing.

Bingo. It's like the entire franchise-- "good enough" which really should have stopped being ok after First Class.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Light Gun Man posted:

If the guy who runs fast doesn't somehow come back from the dead after being told to "walk it off" if he died then they have failed as storytellers.

I think it's actually a prerequisite for getting hired for the job in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

McSpanky posted:

That's why they should do a different thing in each movie, it's not like Fox is hopping off this train anytime soon. If the retro-sequel path stays true the next one should take place sometime in the 90s, a perfect opportunity to abandon all restraint and bring the Jim Lee look to the big screen. Why yes, it is yellow spandex :smugdog:

Seeing the X-men costuming evolve as it progresses could be an interesting shorthand for their develop through the franchise, too. If something like Post-Magneto-level events when the public sees mutants for the first time, Xavier pulls a tactic similar to Reed Richards. He could be trying to remold his idea of the publuc face of the X-men into trying to look more individualized and heroic people than a biker gang or wearing matching paramilitary uniforms.

Not saying I really think most of the comic book costumes could/would translate well on screen, though, without some major modifications. But stuff like Scott walking around with a bomber jacket over his normal costume, Nightcrawler in an outfit that looks more like something an acrobat would wear, etc. might work if the story made a point to focus on the design was to attempt to make the public view mutants in a different way.

Also, in keeping in the spirit of the 90-onwards, it sort of paints Xavier as sort of a bit more manipulative and flawed than a wholly saintly figure.

• Locked thread