Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

sassassin posted:

The bad guy should be displaced, but then you also have her head bridging the dividing line between him and the central figures.

In the american poster Finn's lightsaber separates him from the main cast.

just use this imo (linked for big gif)

http://i.imgur.com/JgxmJLu.gif

Somebody has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Poe missing going unnoticed :(

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ein cooler Typ posted:

is this a troll?

uh that's gross

What, do you carry your own bar of soap everywhere for when you need to wash your hands?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Grey Fox posted:

Poe missing going unnoticed :(

Yeah, her last album was back in, what, 2000?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

0toShifty posted:

OR, you can go to a drive-thru beer distributor where chilled cases of beer are loaded into your trunk. Wait you want WINE? Gotta go to the STATE STORE. It's just like DMV - it even smells the same. Full of government workers and outdated equipment. But they have the wine and liquor. What a strange state!
I grew up in a country where wine and hard liquor was only available in the state store. Of course the state store is actually kinda nice with a highly competent staff. It was also illegal until quite recently to buy liquor on election day.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Alhazred posted:

It was also illegal until quite recently to buy liquor on election day.

But that is quite often when liquor is needed the most! :(

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Restaurants are more aware of what gluten is these days, but I’ve wondered how seriously they take it. Are incidents of cross‐contamination more frequent?

It happens to me infrequently enough that I still eat at restaurants fairly regularly but frequently enough that I'm not surprised when it happens.

Also when I was a student I did a placement with an OB/GYN who was obsessed with the book The Wheat Belly and told all her patients that gluten was terrible for them. It was very awkward because she kept expecting me to agree that gluten was the devil, which is not what I in fact believe.

I don't personally mind if people want to have a gluten-free diet just for fun, because now due to popular demand I can buy gluten-free Mae Wests at the grocery store, which is all I really want out of life. But again, I've been lucky that nobody has ever questioned me on the legitimacy of my medical condition because of all the gluten-free by choice people out there.

Also, last time I was at Costco I bought gluten-free shampoo and condition because how could I not? I hope there aren't enough people out there eating their shampoo that gluten-containing shampoos would be an issue for them... :ohdear:

Dogfish has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Dec 19, 2015

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Tom's of Maine at one point labeled their roll-on deodorant as gluten free.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
TBH I'd rather enable a bunch of people chasing a harmless health fad than go out of my way to spite them at the expense of people with an illness. Acrually, I can't believe that this is even a discussion.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Dogfish posted:

I can buy gluten-free Mae Wests

:confused:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

TBH I'd rather enable a bunch of people chasing a harmless health fad than go out of my way to spite them at the expense of people with an illness. Acrually, I can't believe that this is even a discussion.

It isn't active spite it's just that you end up rolling your eyes and not giving much of a poo poo when >80% of the people you hear say "I have a gluten problem" actually don't.

It doesn't help that some people are aggressively stupid about it. I actually saw a regular customer where I worked that would order pasta every single time but turn down garlic toast or rolls "because I have celiac."

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Sleeveless posted:

The problem is encouraging a pseudo scientific way of thinking, with people actively harming themselves in the process. Consider that gluten free food is not only more expensive, but also often much richer in salt and fat, since they need to make it more palatable.
(disregard the above for people with celiac disease, who sadly don't have a choice)

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

:confused::confused:

And then there's this: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/72eo/stuffies-dear-grandma - "Dear Granma" "Dear Grandma" "I love my Stuffie" "Thank you Grandma!"

Jesus, Stuffies - you're setting Grandma up for an awful disappointment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hate the whole Healthy Lifestyle marketing (not to be confused with an actual healthy lifestyle) because it really preys upon peoples fears. It makes you feel like a criminal that your feeding your family foods, and make you feel like the only way to true health is to follow what ever that person is pushing.

At best it limits your diet which is always good, but can increase your food bills by quite a bit because Organic labeling is as much of a marketing device as anything. There's no health benefits, and hell, organic farming has been found in some cases to actually be worse than standard farming. It does tend to use more pesticides than normal. But slap that organic lable on it you, can charge 20% more and people will eat it up.

At worst it can be hazardous to your health. There's been a not insignificant number of people injured by advice from people like Doctor Oz. It also can lead to undernourishment because people end up eating nothing but these so called super foods and nothing else. There is an eating disorder that can develop where you become obsessed with eating "right" and it can be extremely dangerous.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, her last album was back in, what, 2000?

I appreciated this.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
I always make sure my Enrique has celiac so I can use him to test if food is really gluten free.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I really hate the whole Healthy Lifestyle marketing (not to be confused with an actual healthy lifestyle) because it really preys upon peoples fears. It makes you feel like a criminal that your feeding your family foods, and make you feel like the only way to true health is to follow what ever that person is pushing.

At best it limits your diet which is always good, but can increase your food bills by quite a bit because Organic labeling is as much of a marketing device as anything. There's no health benefits, and hell, organic farming has been found in some cases to actually be worse than standard farming. It does tend to use more pesticides than normal. But slap that organic lable on it you, can charge 20% more and people will eat it up.

At worst it can be hazardous to your health. There's been a not insignificant number of people injured by advice from people like Doctor Oz. It also can lead to undernourishment because people end up eating nothing but these so called super foods and nothing else. There is an eating disorder that can develop where you become obsessed with eating "right" and it can be extremely dangerous.

I've started ignoring anything but the most elementary 'nutritional advice' because it constantly changes and the recommendations regularly contradict each other even coming from mainstream sources. That diet that was all the rage five years ago actually turns out to be bad for you and vice versa. Rather than relying on One Weird Trick, the best general advice is still to simply have a varied diet without exaggerating in anything. Unless you're trying to achieve a specific result (an athlete or someone with severe allergies), chances are you'll do just fine healthwise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually use a lot of the advice from Dr. Oz. Not that any of it is revolutionary. But things like sticking to the vegetable and meat section of the supermarket and avoiding most of the stuff in the middle aisles. I eat almonds as a snack throughout the day instead of eating chips. Simple stuff like that. I don't buy any of his products or any "superfood" crap.

Jon Leibowitz
Feb 11, 2004

I'm guessing it was a typo for

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Jon Leibowitz posted:

I'm guessing it was a typo for

It was!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEKTjh_ykQY

Better or worse than most car ads?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Lactose is another thing that shows up. I get why it happens but it really, really confuses me when something like say a jar of nuts says "gluten free! lactose free! 0g trans fat! low sodium!"

Well, no poo poo. A jar of unsalted peanuts is going to not have those things. It's nothing but nuts. Of course jars of peanuts also tend to have "ALLERGY WARNING: CONTAINS PEANUTS!" as if "jar of peanuts" is something that could somehow mysteriously not contain peanuts. I get that peanut allergies are a huge deal (I actually have a few food allergies and those things show up in the damnedest places) but come on. It's a clear container that is clearly full of peanuts that says "PEANUTS" on the label. It'd be confusing, strange, and possibly terrifying if it had no peanuts in it at all.
When I cook for other people, especially if I'm making something to bring to a party where I don't know everyone, I make a note of anything listed with an allergy warning. I've never met someone with a nut allergy who wasn't extremely careful, but for something like Russian Tea Cakes,it's not immediately apparent from looking at them that they contain nuts.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Much better.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

And then the car falls on Krillin.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually use a lot of the advice from Dr. Oz. Not that any of it is revolutionary. But things like sticking to the vegetable and meat section of the supermarket and avoiding most of the stuff in the middle aisles. I eat almonds as a snack throughout the day instead of eating chips. Simple stuff like that. I don't buy any of his products or any "superfood" crap.

My cousin was on Dr. Oz as one of the people pulled out of the audience a couple years ago. She claimed she had sleeping problems and was recommended pumpkin tea, which she claimed on camera to taste "like fall in a cup". She later admitted to us that 100% of that was staged, including her having sleeping problems.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best known incident of someone being injured by Dr Oz's advice is a woman who got 3rd degree burns on her feet after sleeping with socks with uncooked rice on them. I cannot find it, because dr oz and injury comes up with a story about how he gained talents from being bonked on the head.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

The best known incident of someone being injured by Dr Oz's advice is a woman who got 3rd degree burns on her feet after sleeping with socks with uncooked rice on them. I cannot find it, because dr oz and injury comes up with a story about how he gained talents from being bonked on the head.

Oh come on

https://www.google.com/search?q=dr+oz+socks+rice

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why rice, and not a warm water pillow?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dr. Oz insomnia cure left man lame, lawsuit says

quote:

It's the "Knapsack Heated Rice Footsie." Specifically, it is a pair of socks with uncooked rice -- "just enough to fill the toe of the sock" -- and heated in a microwave oven.

"You put this in the microwave until it's warm," Oz told viewers. "Don't get it too hot, just warm."

Put the socks on your feet and go to bed, he said.

"When you do this and lie for about 20 minutes with those socks on in bed, the heat will divert blood to your feet to your heat," Oz said. "when your feet get hot, guess what happens to your body. It gets cold. Your body will automatically adjust its core temperature and as it gets cooler, you're going to be able to sleep better because your body has to be cold in order to be sleepy."

. . . .

Dietl, 76, suffers from "neuropathy of the lower extremities," a result of diabetes, according to the lawsuit. The condition means Dietl has "a diminished sensation in his feet," it said. He couldn't tell whether the rice was dangerously hot.

Dr. Oz and his producers and distributors -- including co-defendants NBC, Sony Pictures Television, ZoCo Productions and Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Productions -- should have warned viewers such as Dietl, the suit said. It was "reasonably foreseeable" that someone suffering from neuropathy might have tried the "Knapsack Heated Rice Footsie" and "thereby sustain serious physical injury."

The "remedy" is fundamentally stupid, but if he knew he had neuropathy I can't imagine why he wouldn't check the heat with a hand or something first. I can't imagine why ANYONE wouldn't check the heat first, really.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been putting my socks in the oven since I was a kid. It's great in the winter.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The oven? Why not just throw that poo poo in the dryer? Along with some pants. drat, warm Lantz in the winter owns.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Someone's showing their dryer privilege. Some of us had to bake everything after we washed them in the sink butthead.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just turn a hairdryer on and slip your socks over them for like 5 seconds :confused:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lol if you don't have Enrique bake you fresh French bread slippers every morning.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
This website came up when I was looking for the racist website Storm Front, such an unfortunate name: https://www.stormfront.co.uk/

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Lol if you don't have Enrique bake you fresh French bread slippers every morning.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Doakes posted:

This website came up when I was looking for the racist website Storm Front, such an unfortunate name: https://www.stormfront.co.uk/

Tell us more about your visits to Stormfront

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

Tell us more about your visits to Stormfront

Lol yeah, why would a goon from something awful be looking at weird Internet sites. What a maroon!!!! It's not like we have threads dedicated to these types of sites, thus giving people a reasoj to trawl themy for quotes.

Hahaha racist spotted. Hahahahaha. Lolol.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's an actual meteorological term, though it seems to have been edged out by the website on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Doakes posted:

Find your nearest store
23 stores open 7 days a week, pop in and experience the latest Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod with a wide range of great accessories (In white only).