Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Horn Top Hop is where I went from liking Tropical Freeze to loving it, and Sawmill Thrill just confirmed that

and ya owls are notoriously bad about cleaning out their spit valves y'know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
oh so that's why there are no more kremlings or the kongs besides these four in the retro games, donkey kong wiped both of them out to end the Last Great Ape war by pushing a button. This also explains why all these random animals are mad at him instead of an organized effort, the Last Great Ape War affected them all negatively by tearing the fabric of Time and Apes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

oh so that's why there are no more kremlings or the kongs besides these four in the retro games, donkey kong wiped both of them out to end the Last Great Ape war by pushing a button. This also explains why all these random animals are mad at him instead of an organized effort, the Last Great Ape War affected them all negatively by tearing the fabric of Time and Apes

No More

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I really dig the cartoonishness of this world. Delightful to watch. Also, I'll answer two of the questions asked in this video.

Why does Artix keep solving the banana collecting puzzles? Because you're playing as Donkey Kong, and you can never get enough bananas.

Why did Retro keep Rambi as the only animal buddy? Because sometimes all you need is a rhino that can destroy poo poo. I would like to see Engarde and Squitter in a potential sequel, though.

I have a question of my own: why didn't you get the alternate exit in the second level? There's still a level dot that hasn't been lit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Y-Hat posted:

I have a question of my own: why didn't you get the alternate exit in the second level? There's still a level dot that hasn't been lit.

Because there wasn't one. It'll make sense next week, I swear.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

That's actually the K level down there. Some of them are in odd locations on the island map.

Speaking of, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing you play that level, Artix.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Derek Barona posted:

That's actually the K level down there. Some of them are in odd locations on the island map.

Speaking of, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing you play that level, Artix.

One death at the very very end. :smug:

Y-Hat posted:

That's the K level, you can tell because it has that weird platform underneath.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 15, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Kremkroc Industries :siren:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I thought our group name was "Team Hates The Game".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

There's actually an Enguarde crate at the start of Poison Pond if you swim through the left wall. I think he's actually in every water level at some point along the way.

Watching you handle Trick Track Trek was painful.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I Touhou for fun, but even years before that I usually never had Enguarde with me as a kid so I would pretty much always have to clear that section without taking a hit. I got really good at it, actually.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

FPzero posted:

There's actually an Enguarde crate at the start of Poison Pond if you swim through the left wall. I think he's actually in every water level at some point along the way.

Watching you handle Trick Track Trek was painful.

And that was just the edited version. Not included were at least two or three other attempts.

It's too bad that we lost the first recording, otherwise you would have gotten to see Artix's first go at Poison Pond. Now THAT was painful.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
you might explain this past minute eight but I kind of doubt it: What is the difference between Kiddy and Donkey that makes Kiddy so much worse? I thought Kiddy was basically Donkey but with more powers and a lamer character premise

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Acne Rain posted:

you might explain this past minute eight but I kind of doubt it: What is the difference between Kiddy and Donkey that makes Kiddy so much worse? I thought Kiddy was basically Donkey but with more powers and a lamer character premise

His entire gimmick is that he's heavy. This is probably not the best gimmick to have in a platformer.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

He's heavy but that doesn't actually affect his jump height or the speed he falls. Being heavy just means he can defeat those bulky blue kremlings and can't be thrown far.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Thank you for showing off the beauty that is a bonus within a bonus. Nested bonus

I really like Kremcroc Industries but that's because I really like the factory levels and that's because I really like the music, which also got an amazing remix in DKCR...

Acne Rain posted:

he's a big dumb baby who cries when he takes a hit

also kinda sorta child soldier wtf donkey kong

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Acne Rain posted:

I think it has to do with how viable your other option is. In DKC1 DK may be slow and lumbering and Diddy is clearly better, but not overwhelmingly so. On the other hand, in DKC3 you have the choice between a slow and lumbering character and Dixie who is just to much better in every situation that it isn't even funny anymore.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Looper posted:

he's a big dumb baby who cries when he takes a hit

also kinda sorta child soldier wtf donkey kong
I'd put that blame more on Funky, honestly. He just sort of dumps Kiddy off with Dixie (which means Funky was probably supposed to be babysitting Kiddy) and never looks back.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I always thought the glacier was worse than kremcroc, that was a nice breather after barrels in a blizzard.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I always thought the glacier was worse than kremcroc, that was a nice breather after barrels in a blizzard.

Agreed. I never knew about that shortcut as a kid, so that loving blizzard level was the bane of my existence for the longest time. I will willingly play the Chimp Caverns without any issue because it's not that goddamn level.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

According to the DK64 instruction booklet, Kiddy Kong is Chunky's younger brother, so there's that, at least.

While I grant you Blackout Basement is some bullshit, you're pretty bad at this game, Artix. There's no reason to die that many times on the track level. Ah well, next game should go much smoother.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Y-Hat posted:

According to the DK64 instruction booklet, Kiddy Kong is Chunky's younger brother, so there's that, at least.

While I grant you Blackout Basement is some bullshit, you're pretty bad at this game, Artix. There's no reason to die that many times on the track level. Ah well, next game should go much smoother.

To reiterate:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Kiddy Kong can skip himself over water like a stone. That's pretty neat. Donkey Kong can't do that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Y-Hat posted:

While I will certainly own up to the fact that I am bad at this game, I feel like it does bear mentioning that I am playing it A) live, B) (mostly) blind, and C) without any savestates or editing. Seriously, that first one especially. If you've never tried it, I highly suggest getting some buddies and attempting to play a relatively high-skill game while also doing commentary over it, you'll be amazed at how much more poorly you tend to play!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Artix posted:

While I will certainly own up to the fact that I am bad at this game, I feel like it does bear mentioning that I am playing it A) live, B) (mostly) blind, and C) without any savestates or editing. Seriously, that first one especially. If you've never tried it, I highly suggest getting some buddies and attempting to play a relatively high-skill game while also doing commentary over it, you'll be amazed at how much more poorly you tend to play!
I just assumed you played through it and put commentary in afterwards. But being distracted like that would definitely make it harder. Well, enjoy the caves!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Chimp Caverns :siren:

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
As I watch your DKC videos, I am tensing up with every close jump. I can feel my stomach tightening every time. Nintendo trained me well.

I played this game a ton when it came out. I don't remember it being so... unfinished. I must have been a very forgiving child.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

I don't know about the "missing level", but the two Necky fight is in the GBA rerelease of DKC.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think that all those tnt barrels were scattered around so that diddy could kill the krushas in the way.

The weird thing about the gimmicks in a lot of the gimmick levels is that they're weirdly used. Like the fuel barrels require you to pretty much grab every last one of them, so why did they bother with the elaborate 5 points of fuel and fuel barrels restore different amounts of fuel thing? It's a lot of complexity that could have been cut in exchange for simply having the game go "Hit this barrel or die".

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think there was a level replacing Loopy Lights in the Gameboy version, for obvious reasons. And the GBA version of Necky's second fight had one on each side of the screen.

I think. I played it when my entire dorm at boarding school was down with the stomach flu so a lot of that is a little hazy.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I went and looked it up. Apparently that level I could have sworn existed doesn't. But there were definitely some differences between the game in level order and in some of the boss fights.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's worth noting, while the actual world itself is garbage, I always liked the map of Chimp Caverns. I like the whole giant cavern over an underground lake motif it has going, and it's a neat contrast against the rest of the area maps which are just "Random side of the island with a bunch of stuff along the way".

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Derek Barona posted:

It's worth noting, while the actual world itself is garbage, I always liked the map of Chimp Caverns. I like the whole giant cavern over an underground lake motif it has going, and it's a neat contrast against the rest of the area maps which are just "Random side of the island with a bunch of stuff along the way".

It just doesn't feel like the last world mapwise, although the bullshit is in full effect.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There was indeed an extra level in Chimp Caverns, but it wasn't in the GBA version... it was in the often-forgotten Game Boy Color version. It was called Necky Nutmare, and the gimmick of the level is a bunch of Necky Jrs. (the birds that spit nuts at you). Needless to say, the GBC version sucked. It had the same terrible ACM graphics that the Donkey Kong Land games had, but this time it added color. Plus, the two-button scheme meant that you couldn't use DK's hand slap. Joy.

You made a whole lot of fuss about Tanked Up Trouble, but you have to try pretty hard to miss a fuel barrel. If anything, they didn't exploit the gimmick enough (shocking, I know). Rare could have made the fuel barrels much harder to get, or they could have put them spread far enough apart that the depleting fuel meter would keep you on the edge of your seat. Just like in the original track level, the jumps and enemies are the real challenge. I will grant you that Loopy Lights is total bullshit, though. That's where you can reasonably panic about the lights going out before you reach the next barrel.

Did anyone have the "Totally Unauthorized Guide to Donkey Kong Country" by BradyGames? I did. It was '90s as all hell. A used copy is less than $2 on Amazon if you want to get a copy and scan the horrible things inside. As a kid, I was such an idiot that I was disappointed that the BradyGames guides I got for DKC3 and Crash Bandicoot 2 didn't feature the same totally rad dude telling you how to get everything.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 19, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wait, there was a Game Boy Color version of DKC? :psyduck: I know about the GBA remake, but this is the first time I've heard about that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
there were game boy donkey kong land games. i don't think they were even gbc
they were kind of rear end but that's what we had if we wanted to play portable donkey kong back in those days

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country was released in 2000. It's not even a bad port, it's just not memorable in any way besides there being an extra level that wasn't in the SNES version. I'm gonna guess that Necky Nutmare didn't even make the GBA version.

http://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Kong-Country-Game-Boy-Color/dp/B00004S9A0

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, there was a Game Boy Color version of DKC? :psyduck: I know about the GBA remake, but this is the first time I've heard about that.

Yeah, it looks like they just took the Donkey Kong Land engine, colorized it, and used it to reconstruct the levels from DKC.

Donkey Kong Land was not a very good game, so I can't imagine it was very good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DKC GBC also lifted a few, if not all, of its songs from DK Land, including the kickass GB version of Jungle Hijinx/Jungle Japes/DK Island Swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCmw1Lc06a4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Terrible graphics aside, I thought the Donkey Kong Land games were OK. DKL2 was definitely the least impressive of the bunch. Outside of a couple of levels that couldn't be recreated on the Game Boy due to its technical limitations (Haunted Hall and Castle Crush are the only two that I can think of), the level names were the exact same. The gimmicks were stripped down too: Glimmer's Galleon used light barrels instead of Glimmer the fish, Slime Climb had you running away from harmful water instead a rising tide of water you could swim in with a Snapjaw that would chomp at you if you fell in, and Animal Antics had only three animal buddies and stayed completely in the jungle.

DKL3 had completely new levels and less gimmicks, which was a good thing considering how over the top they were on its big brother on the SNES. For some reason, they added a card matching game to it where you could win watches. That was probably just a way to include the Bear Brothers in the thing. DKL1 was the only one that I didn't own a copy of, but judging by the LP in the archive, it's very hit-or-miss with its gimmicks. At least there were new level types in it.

• Locked thread