Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Devor posted:

The real reason that Patrick Sullivan is quitting is that he just couldn't stand to watch another pile shuffle

Can't blame him. gently caress pile shuffling, it takes forever for you to finish and the only time I could ever recommend it is if you need to make sure you're running the correct amount of cards and you know, not cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm thinking Crackling Doom is good with this, or Kolaghan's Command. The option to return a creature from the yard to hand seems like there could be a lot of value in a graveyard/recursion strategy. I'm liking the prospective Mardu control deck I'm envisioning.

Double red by turn 5 is not a stretch for this standard. This seems good in about any deck that has red in it.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

Can't blame him. gently caress pile shuffling, it takes forever for you to finish and the only time I could ever recommend it is if you need to make sure you're running the correct amount of cards and you know, not cheating.

Yeah, I don't play paper magic that much anymore, but I would always do a single pile shuffle between games and matches to make sure I had sideboarded/desideboarded properly, and then do a half-dozen riffles.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

AlternateNu posted:

This guy feels like a super late design choice since there is nothing flavor-wise to show that Zendikar goblins have this kind of ability. :colbert:

yeah it should be a Devil

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

This guy feels like a super late design choice since there is nothing flavor-wise to show that Zendikar goblins have this kind of ability. :colbert:
All I remember about about Zendikar goblins was that they can be pretty awesome, this just continues that trend.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Making sure you have the correct amount of cards isn't nothing... Thats why I do it.

Count Bleck posted:

My hopes for UR Control being a thing are still alive and kicking, I see.

As people have already said, if you play that card in a deck that doesn't also play Crackling Doom and Kolaghans command you're doing it wrong.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 18, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cards snapping is the worst and its very rarely anyone other than stereotypical try hard. They see it on the pro tour, on scg, or at big events and they are powerless to do anything but mirror that behavior.

More dumb things like this are cropping up. You know that dumb counting gesture that is spreading? The one where someone uses there index finger in an semi fist to tap in an odd pattern criss-cross on the table? Yes, I get that you need to count possible damage going in or out, but people are mirroring this down to the gesture and tapping pattern. loving bizarre.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

Cards snapping is the worst and its very rarely anyone other than stereotypical try hard. They see it on the pro tour, on scg, or at big events and they are powerless to do anything but mirror that behavior.

More dumb things like this are cropping up. You know that dumb counting gesture that is spreading? The one where someone uses there index finger in an semi fist to tap in an odd pattern criss-cross on the table? Yes, I get that you need to count possible damage going in or out, but people are mirroring this down to the gesture and tapping pattern. loving bizarre.

I mean, I don't personally do the second thing, but it strikes me as perfectly natural.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Count Bleck posted:

I (stupidly) decided to read Twitch chat during the World Magic Cup, and there were a ton of people supporting pile shuffling with lovely arguments like "You should use multiple methods of shuffling anyway" and "It's pseudo-randomization but there's no such thing as complete randomization anyway".

They just couldn't get it through their heads that pile shuffling isn't random at all. I blame the fact that it has the word "shuffling" in it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Yeah, really weird. I've seen it crop up in the same grinder circles too. I've always done the "conductor's wave" with my index finger when I've needed to count so I'm glad that isn't the preferred ~wizard pro~ style.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I pile shuffle to signal to the illuminati which players are going to win which matches at which tables. Your superstitions and habits literally don't matter, I decide the match outcomes.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

NivMizzet posted:

I (stupidly) decided to read Twitch chat during the World Magic Cup, and there were a ton of people supporting pile shuffling with lovely arguments like "You should use multiple methods of shuffling anyway" and "It's pseudo-randomization but there's no such thing as complete randomization anyway".

On the other hand, this sounds like the most pleasant experience anyone's ever had reading Twitch chat

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

I've never understood this hate some people have for card snapping/flicking. I am constantly moving my cards in my hand when I play, it helps me see what I have in hand and just keeps a constant reminder in my head of my options. Now I don't go at the speed of light ala Kibler, but hands are constantly in motion.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Madmarker are you suggesting you cannot see the cards if they aren't moving. Are you a reverse tyrannosaurus

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Madmarker posted:

I've never understood this hate some people have for card snapping/flicking. I am constantly moving my cards in my hand when I play, it helps me see what I have in hand and just keeps a constant reminder in my head of my options. Now I don't go at the speed of light ala Kibler, but hands are constantly in motion.

I rearrange my cards regularly as well, but actually snapping them is very distracting. It's also primarily done by weird anxious grinders who are very clearly doing it while I'm trying to think so they can tilt me or whatever while I'm trying to do combat math.

It's just a loud annoying noise! :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Death Bot posted:

I rearrange my cards regularly as well, but actually snapping them is very distracting. It's also primarily done by weird anxious grinders who are very clearly doing it while I'm trying to think so they can tilt me or whatever while I'm trying to do combat math.

It's just a loud annoying noise! :shrug:

You know what helps me see things, moving them around constantly! Logic!

:suicide:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rabidsquid posted:

Madmarker are you suggesting you cannot see the cards if they aren't moving. Are you a reverse tyrannosaurus

:eyepop: So this is why some people are annoyed when I calmly place my cards down to show what cards they know after they thoughtseize and ask them to do the same.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It makes a certain amount sense, for a lot of people if you keep all of your cards in one place, the ones behind the others can often be accidentally ignored in the middle of major bits of strategizing. If you move them around, every card can have a turn up front, which gives a visual reminder of what all your options are.

Again, not something I personally do but more than easy enough to understand.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

You know what helps me see things, moving them around constantly! Logic!

:suicide:

If you spread out cards sometimes one gets stuck behind another card, especially with old sleeves. If you keep moving them, they spread apart easier. Second, I am not referring to the physical act of seeing, rather the constant flicking in and out of my vision acts as a reminder of the options of each card and allows me to consider them individually instead of attempting to evaluate my hand all at once. If you don't do it, well great, but for me, I find it helpful. Also, how can you hear cards flicking anyway? Most of the time I am humming a song, or talking to my opponent or making puns about the board state.

rabidsquid posted:

Yes, yes I am a Xer Suruasonnaryt.

Ramos posted:

It makes a certain amount sense, for a lot of people if you keep all of your cards in one place, the ones behind the others can often be accidentally ignored in the middle of major bits of strategizing. If you move them around, every card can have a turn up front, which gives a visual reminder of what all your options are.

Again, not something I personally do but more than easy enough to understand.

This is exactly it.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 18, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NivMizzet posted:

They just couldn't get it through their heads that pile shuffling isn't random at all. I blame the fact that it has the word "shuffling" in it.
I think it's that plus the aforementioned "I saw a pro do this so I'm gonna do it!" parroting. It's just bizarre to me because so many of the things people copy are these awful nervous tics/absurd habits that I'd be honestly embarrassed to have broadcast all over the world. It would be like me showing up to a friendly game of penny-ante poker in an oversized hoodie and sunglasses because I saw a couple dudes on WSoP doing it. Pile shuffling has to be the worst of the lot simply because it takes the longest for no benefit. I wish WotC would take a harder stance on it and just ban it under slow play/stalling.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I just scream and cry constantly, although I juggle my cards in the air or sometimes even throw them like Gambit from the X-Men, so I can remember which cards I might have

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

NivMizzet posted:

Ugh yeah, I was in Twitch chat at this time too. Depressing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I think it's bad that a card's art changes and it gets the mana symbols watermark all the time, makes it hard to parse the game state and to read the text when it's visually shifting all the time. Nice tech though, good proof of concept.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I can't normally read any of the text on the card, but now that this card moves it's much easier for me.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

rabidsquid posted:

I pile shuffle to signal to the illuminati which players are going to win which matches at which tables. Your superstitions and habits literally don't matter, I decide the match outcomes.

So I can blame you every time I get mana screwed? :v:

The only time I shuffle my hand around is when I'm organizing it for a general play order or if I have just 2 cards in hand and my opponent's tanking on something I usually end up moving the two back and forth to temper my growing impatience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

I think it's that plus the aforementioned "I saw a pro do this so I'm gonna do it!" parroting. It's just bizarre to me because so many of the things people copy are these awful nervous tics/absurd habits that I'd be honestly embarrassed to have broadcast all over the world. It would be like me showing up to a friendly game of penny-ante poker in an oversized hoodie and sunglasses because I saw a couple dudes on WSoP doing it. Pile shuffling has to be the worst of the lot simply because it takes the longest for no benefit. I wish WotC would take a harder stance on it and just ban it under slow play/stalling.

Pile shuffling take a few moment longer than counting your cards the normal way. For me, it is a more consistent way to count them. Counting your cards before each game has real benefits that is better to not ignore.

Did a card fall out of my deck?
Did I shuffle in a token by mistake?
Did I shuffle in an opponents card?
Did I mess up side-boarding?

All worth the few extra moments. Out of all the dumb things magic players do it has to be the most justifiable annoyance.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 18, 2015

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

I think that's just a regular tyrannosaurus.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm thinking Crackling Doom is good with this, or Kolaghan's Command. The option to return a creature from the yard to hand seems like there could be a lot of value in a graveyard/recursion strategy. I'm liking the prospective Mardu control deck I'm envisioning.

No I mean nothing on the card really matches with anything else on the card. Like, it's a large Goblin with Menace that also acts like a sometimes-better Snapcaster but only on your turn? Also the goblins don't have eyes?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think that's just a regular tyrannosaurus.

« Traditional Games › Magic: The Gathering Megathread: I think that's just a regular tyrannosaurus.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Pile shuffling take a few moment longer than counting your cards the normal way. For me, it is a more consistent way to count them. Counting your cards before each game has real benefits that is better to not ignore.

All worth the few extra moments. Out of all the dumb things magic players do it has to be the most justifiable annoyance.

All these are legitimate reasons to do one pile shuffle, preferably before regular shuffling. It's the people who pile shuffle, shuffle, side-shuffle, and then proclaim to me, "I'm just gonna do a few more pile shuffles" that gets me. The gently caress you are. Or the people who pile shuffle once or twice after each mulligan.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

This will go great in my Krenko EDH deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I didn't use to flick cards, but I started doing it when thinking out of habit. I'll take your regular aggressions about it now please

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

All these are legitimate reasons to do one pile shuffle, preferably before regular shuffling. It's the people who pile shuffle, shuffle, side-shuffle, and then proclaim to me, "I'm just gonna do a few more pile shuffles" that gets me. The gently caress you are. Or the people who pile shuffle once or twice after each mulligan.

Totally agreed.

A store closer to my hometown is a place go to every once a while to play magic with my oldest friend. This place is loaded with people that didn't understand manaweaving is cheating. They had their first ever pptq ever and people were in for a rude awakening. They were fortunate only one person got dq'd. One person in particular was extremely dense on this issue. He purposed that he would mana weave first then thoroughly shuffle his deck. Despite multiple people trying to explain that if he shuffled thoroughly, the manaweave was pointless. Luckly we had a really old level1 guy who took no poo poo and finally shut it all down by saying "Pile shuffling in front of me is showing me intent that you are attempting to stack your deck, do it again and you will be dq'd".

The concept of shuffling is lost on a lot of people.

GoutPatrol posted:

I didn't use to flick cards, but I started doing it when thinking out of habit. I'll take your regular aggressions about it now please

Card flickers should be heckled relentlessly. They should be ridiculed like all those folks who pin their playmats, smell really bad, have nsfw playmats/sleeves, and think top shouldn't be banned.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 18, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

This isn't about pile shuffling as a means of card-counting, it's pile shuffling as a means of randomizing the deck. There are real humans who think that one pile shuffle is sufficiently randomizing it.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
personally i'm a very large fan of how this started with magic's poisonous business model and quickly degenerated into people who move their cards in their hand. truly equally grave dangers facing this game.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

black potus posted:

personally i'm a very large fan of how this started with magic's poisonous business model and quickly degenerated into people who move their cards in their hand. truly equally grave dangers facing this game.

At least it's not as bad as that subhuman trash that play lands behind permanents. :v:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

Card flickers should be heckled relentlessly. They should be ridiculed like all those folks who pin their playmats, smell really bad, have nsfw playmats/sleeves, and think top shouldn't be banned.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

rabidsquid posted:

Isn't this just regular tyrannosaurus?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Melissa DeTora's back on TCG Player today, which I guess means she and Frank moved to Seattle so she could work for Wizards for just a year.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Serperoth posted:

At least it's not as bad as that subhuman trash that play lands behind permanents. :v:

:agreed: Lands are the primary resource and mechanic for this game so they should be in front. Also helps to prevent your opponent from cheating with them as easily.

• Locked thread