Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Shine posted:

If you're using a gamepad, map shifting to the right thumbstick. It feels way cooler than pressing buttons.
How do you handbrake and shift? I guess you could use stick-in but as a long time PC gamer I can't ever press it in without it feeling wonky as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Qmass posted:

How do you handbrake and shift? I guess you could use stick-in but as a long time PC gamer I can't ever press it in without it feeling wonky as poo poo.

Map those to any preferred combination of LB, R3 or face buttons. I had handbrake on a face button because I'd finish downshifting before entering corners, so I didn't need them simultaneously accessible. I forget where I had clutch kick; I didn't get around to using it much before I replaced the pad with a wheel.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Shine posted:

If you're using a gamepad, map shifting to the right thumbstick. It feels way cooler than pressing buttons.

I'd agree if the thumbstick had tactile switches. For some reason I got really used to using the A and Y buttons for shifting over the years.

I've been playing Dirt with a gamepad for years. While I still always want a wheel to improve the experience, playing with a pad is in no way a disservice to the game. Codemasters is probably the best out there at making a driving game feel good no matter what you're using.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Praseodymi posted:

I've never had that problem with a pad. Does this mean the speed that the wheels turn at is based on the steering sensitivity?

I wouldn't worry about it, I've been playing this game longer than I've been driving anything.

The sensitivity is how fast it responds to your input, but not how far it turns the wheel. Linearity is how far the wheel turns (lower is better, up to a point). It seems to try to average out the last few moments of input, so small adjustments can get ignored. Which is really a problem on quick stages adjusting over small bumps, because it you have the linearity really high, your input will be ignored completely.

I have Sensitivity at 75 and Linearity at 20 for the Sport Quattro.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Renounced posted:

The sensitivity is how fast it responds to your input, but not how far it turns the wheel. Linearity is how far the wheel turns (lower is better, up to a point). It seems to try to average out the last few moments of input, so small adjustments can get ignored. Which is really a problem on quick stages adjusting over small bumps, because it you have the linearity really high, your input will be ignored completely.

I have Sensitivity at 75 and Linearity at 20 for the Sport Quattro.

sens at 100 linearity at whichever end is direct input, get a thumbstick extension, and you're gucci

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Renounced posted:

I use a pad with the settings you're referring to, though I haven't had a good reason to clutch kick yet. The only thing to keep in mind is that once you move passed the 1970s starter car you need to up your steering sensitivity and lower the steering linearity, or else your in-game driverman won't be responsive enough to your input and you'll crash a ton more than you should.
I never changed from default advanced controller settings (or got a stick extender) and have, occasionally, put up top 20 daily/weekly times out of 1000+ people (and competitive goon league times) with a gamepad.

Just a plain controller with no changes is plenty functional.

Hell, I still did the Pike's Peak goon league event with my controller since I've barely put in any time with my recently acquired wheel on Dirt Rally (mostly been playing SCE with it) and still feel more comfortable with the controller.*

* Last night, after league, was actually the first I tried getting acclimated to the wheel in Dirt Rally. Was managing 4th/5th against Master AI on Pike's Peak with the totally unupgraded 205 Hillclimb. Seems naturally faster on tarmac, but gravel will take some getting used to. This is much better than I was expecting (granted I was restarting a lot more... I know Pike's Peak well enough with controller that I rarely make mistakes, but FFB pulling me off the road is a new hurdle).

bUm fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 16, 2015

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Edmond Dantes posted:

I played this at a friend's, and god drat it is fun. I'm not a huge fan of racing games (last one I played were Burnouts), but I had a blast crashing against every tree in Finland.

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on this; would I me "gimpimg" my enjoyment of the game If I'm not planning on buying a wheel? Has anyone been playing exclusively with a pad and can report back on using more realistic settings with it? (shifting, clutching, no assists).

I couldn't get used to the game without a wheel. It was a personal mental barrier of sorts, I have a hard time playing racing sims with a controller. It feels weird and alien, like trying to drive a real car with the precision of an RC car remote.

You can totally adapt, but I err on the side of recommending a wheel.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is there a bug with car setups resetting after one stage?

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

bUm posted:

I never changed from default advanced controller settings (or got a stick extender) and have, occasionally, put up top 20 daily/weekly times out of 1000+ people (and competitive goon league times) with a gamepad.

Just a plain controller with no changes is plenty functional.

Hell, I still did the Pike's Peak goon league event with my controller since I've barely put in any time with my recently acquired wheel on Dirt Rally (mostly been playing SCE with it) and still feel more comfortable with the controller.*

* Last night, after league, was actually the first I tried getting acclimated to the wheel in Dirt Rally. Was managing 4th/5th against Master AI on Pike's Peak with the totally unupgraded 205 Hillclimb. Seems naturally faster on tarmac, but gravel will take some getting used to. This is much better than I was expecting (granted I was restarting a lot more... I know Pike's Peak well enough with controller that I rarely make mistakes, but FFB pulling me off the road is a new hurdle).

Honestly that's great and all but using the stock settings was like trying to drive a bus through sand. I didn't say it's not possible to do well, just that it's really obnoxious.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Is there a way to change what buttons navigate menus (presumably in a config file somewhere)? Really annoying with my wheel that forward/back in menus are upshift/downshift paddles and mouse can't be used for all menu navigation purposes. On top of that, resetting to default setup/doing crew recommendations for repairs requiring keyboard still (F4) is just icing on annoying menu navigation with a wheel cake.

Connecting my controller just for menu navigation might be less hassle than trying to do it with the wheel/mouse/keyboard abomination.

Renounced posted:

Honestly that's great and all but using the stock settings was like trying to drive a bus through sand. I didn't say it's not possible to do well, just that it's really obnoxious.
Your experience differs greatly from mine; prospective player Edmond Dantes should not count on having to do anything other than plug in and start playing. Maybe it'll feel fine to him, maybe it won't, but suggesting he'll need to alter it to be a good driving experience based on your subjective experience is false; stock settings feel nothing like driving a bus through sand to me with any car (having driven to full upgrades over half the cars in the game).

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Qmass posted:

The only time this should really be an issue is at a redlight on a hill.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Qmass posted:

Do you mean at the same time? How would you handbrake and shift at the same time in a real car? You wouldn't

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

OneDeadlyBum posted:

I couldn't get used to the game without a wheel. It was a personal mental barrier of sorts, I have a hard time playing racing sims with a controller. It feels weird and alien, like trying to drive a real car with the precision of an RC car remote.

You can totally adapt, but I err on the side of recommending a wheel.

bUm posted:

Your experience differs greatly from mine; prospective player Edmond Dantes should not count on having to do anything other than plug in and start playing. Maybe it'll feel fine to him, maybe it won't, but suggesting he'll need to alter it to be a good driving experience based on your subjective experience is false; stock settings feel nothing like driving a bus through sand to me with any car (having driven to full upgrades over half the cars in the game).

I bribed my friend with pizza and played a bunch more today; I'm arse at it but I don't think the controller is going to be an issue, at least not for a good long while. I can always see about getting a wheel down the line, but I'm pretty set in buying the game now, I'm gonna hold on for another week to see if it gets any discount during the holidays (probably not since it came out NOW, but eh).

We took turns and finished a championship with the mini (I tried one of the newer cars and I kept totalling it). Didn't manage to get a positive split once, but at least I feel like I was starting to get the gist of taking curves by the end. And by that I mean I stopped kissing every tree and falling off every ledge on every track.

Quick question: Am I supposed to be going all Tokyo drift and taking corners sideways? I kept trying to do the hand brake drift a la burnout paradise but only managed to crash every single time I tried that, ended up trying to get a racing line of sorts by slowing down before corners harder than, say 5.

Hairpin turns can go suck a dick though.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Using a gamepad without clutching I guess i'm just too comfortable shifting with A/X and rolling the knuckle to B to handbrake. I have previously tried using the thumbstick for handbrake so its closer to the handbrakes you see in rallying but I just hated how much longer it took to move between. When I think about it, obviously I am not shifting while the handbrake is engaged.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question: Am I supposed to be going all Tokyo drift and taking corners sideways? I kept trying to do the hand brake drift a la burnout paradise but only managed to crash every single time I tried that, ended up trying to get a racing line of sorts by slowing down before corners harder than, say 5.

If you like using the handbrake to get the initial positioning you can start clutch kicking at low speeds to keep the wheels spinning and keep your car moving fluidly through the tight turns without that slide-stop effect that kills your time.

FF cars are good for practicing handbraking.
AWD/4WD cars are good for practicing clutch kicking.
RWD cars are good for mastering both of these while min/maxing your throttle and braking to really fine tune your way through turns.

After that you can pretty much drive wtfever you want however you want when off paved roads and see yourself crashing a lot less until you start to push your limits again.

On an actual road its usually just best to slow down and take the proper and exact grip lines.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

FWD requires pretty ample handbrake for tight turns (~right angle or tighter). On gravel, getting sideways in turns isn't uncommon (no handbrake needed, just cruising in with speed... but not too much so you fly off the turn), but, no, you shouldn't be Tokyo drifting it often on tarmac or handbraking on high speed turns to drift it when unnecessary.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question: Am I supposed to be going all Tokyo drift and taking corners sideways? I kept trying to do the hand brake drift a la burnout paradise but only managed to crash every single time I tried that,

IMO, the bible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlBntwsOdA

quote:

ended up trying to get a racing line of sorts by slowing down before corners harder than, say 5.
If you were still on the brake a little bit as or just before you turned in, this is actually how you weight transfer which is crucial to turning, especially in the 4WD cars that will feel dead if you aren't loading the front with some brake. See video above.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 16, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Qmass posted:

IMO, the bible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlBntwsOdA
If you were still on the brake a little bit as or just before you turned in, this is actually how you weight transfer which is crucial to turning, especially in the 4WD cars that will feel dead if you aren't loading the front with some brake. See video above.

thanks for that video. i've been doing clutch kicking wrong I think. I've been using it to bring the revs back up after they've already dropped rather than to keep them high in the first place..

also haven't been using the brake at the same time as the accelerator ever, even though I have been left foot braking.. mostly just been letting off the throttle a bit to get the weight transfer. I should start practicing that I guess.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 16, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question: Am I supposed to be going all Tokyo drift and taking corners sideways?

Yes no yes. If you're going for the fastest time, chances are you'll wanna slow down and find a line through the turn, but that's boring. You shouldn't need to use the e-brake that much, however it is necessary sometimes, especially for FWD cars.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So I disassembled my g27 to take a gander at the optical encoder poo poo and it is definitely cracked. The crack is so straight that it seems intentional though, like it's how they fitted it to the pole. It is also loose on the pole, i can turn where the wheel would be mounted and hold the encoder in place. For now I will try just gluing it to the little pole thing instead of trying to get a new encoder.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 16, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Good review from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3Qc6KQ3YM

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you like patches you'll love the 1.02 patch. Nothing too earth shattering, the i20 now has the upgrades it was missing at launch and custom championships can now go up to 6 events as well as a few graphical bugs being fixed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

DirtGoons posted:

Driving advice.

:catstare: this is gonna be harder than I thought, isn't it?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Edmond Dantes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l19F2YPVey0

When you can do this kind of driving, you know you are good.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Triple A posted:

I'm closer to this at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

This is every new DR player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh8pSPmKupc

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I would pay for DLC with that navigator's voicepack.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
seems like the problem with my g27 is the crack in the optical encoder itself, since gluing the loose (due to the crack) encoder in place didn't fix the problem.

Guess I have to spend $38 on a replacement since the brass replacement from Thailand seems to be the only one available

Seems alright though, since my mom just asked me what i wanted for Christmas for $40 or less. (Thanks mom)

Seriously though, the actual encoder basically looks like it was sabotaged to crack easily. gently caress planned obsolescence, I haven't even use this wheel heavily. Creating such an important part of the design out of a lovely piece of plastic is so stupid, and then adding additional weaknesses to it as well..

Not my picture but look at this:

There seem to be 3 creases in the plastic splitting the piece perfectly into 3rds, and the crack lies exactly along one of them.

For mine however, the crack is still perfectly straight from the center to the outside, but it has somehow split a "spoke" (the millimeter or less thin piece of plastic between 2 holes. The entire wheel is about the size of a quarter) in half rather than even touching the obvious weak points of the holes. So it's basically added a 61st, smaller than the others, hole in the wheel that I imagine fucks with the calibration somehow.

Hopefully that is the actual problem, or else it would be a big ol' waste of $40.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 17, 2015

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Is there something wrong with the league, or has only one other person actually done this week's races?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sandoz posted:

Is there something wrong with the league, or has only one other person actually done this week's races?

I think leagues are pretty screwed in general judging from the forums, but I haven't done my run this week yet so I haven't seen the leaderboard.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Since WRC 5 doesn't have a dedicated thread here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysLoUJGAEjY

Apparently, it's getting an E-sports mode.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bUm posted:

FYI: you can switch cars between events so you only need to finish the in-progress event. Press the button to "Save and Exit" when you finish the event and, when you go to resume it, it lets you pick a different car in the same class.
Thank you. Thank you so much.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Dirt Rally ain't easy.

Triple A posted:

I'm impressed how stable it is with a puncture, especially for those high speed straights near the end. In Dirt Rally, it would 100% have been on the rim after that long/those high speeds with a puncture and seems so much more difficult to keep straight at high speeds than holding the wheel ~30 degrees off center to remain straight (granted, I haven't had one since starting to use my wheel... holding a steady, small angle on a controller is really tough); turning seems accurate though, you can tell he's fighting it pretty hard to turn and Dirt Rally nails that.

sandoz posted:

Looks like four on there now on the web thing so it was probably just no one doing it yet (it's pretty early in the Tuesday-Tuesday cycle).

Triple A posted:

Since WRC 5 doesn't have a dedicated thread here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysLoUJGAEjY

Apparently, it's getting an E-sports mode.
I appreciate that most of the comments on the video are plugging Dirt Rally since, going by user and legit reviews, the WRC games are not particularly good. Pretty sure I only played WRC4 (the 2004 one... apparently they restarted the franchise/numbering in 2010) and it felt like an attempt to just clone the old Colin McRae games (so not too bad), but it sounds like that never changed and the franchise is just a decade dated.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh hey, got enough credits to move to the 1970s cars! Nice!
Let's see... oooooh, ford Escort!

Alright, let's try it on a track! Accelerate and....

OH GOD WHY CAN'T I KEEP THE loving CAR STRAIGHT WHAT'S GOING ON.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

...at least it's not the Stratos. Top tip for driving RWD cars is not to slam down the throttle in the corners, basically drive them like the rear wheels are trying to overtake the front ones.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The real secret to driving RWD cars in this game is to unweld the loving differential because it would seem that everything you buy in this game has been previously owned by an aspiring craigslist drifter that wants their wheels to squeel when slowly pulling through the McDonalds drive-thru.

edit: Generally lowering the differential (especially in the rear if that's the option) will let you be much heavier on the gas pedal without completely spinning out as often. Do this while also lowering the gear ratio in a car like the BMW E30 and you will find yourself cutting multiple seconds off your track times. At first it will feel like you are understeering but when you take into account the fact that you can casually flick your way through turns with any car in this game you shouldn't have any problem Tokyo Drifting to the finish line with green split times. :rice:

Thief fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 18, 2015

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh hey, got enough credits to move to the 1970s cars! Nice!
Let's see... oooooh, ford Escort!

Alright, let's try it on a track! Accelerate and....

OH GOD WHY CAN'T I KEEP THE loving CAR STRAIGHT WHAT'S GOING ON.

You haven't seen anything yet, kid. It's only going to get trickier. :getin:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
It's funny how in career mode, apart from starting in a poo poo mini, you have to run the gauntlet of uncontrollable RWD cars while you l2p before you can get into the real deal, 4WD cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPze5pP8B9c

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, now I can stop crashing my friend's house (and stop spending money on bribe pizza).

See you in a couple hours, chaps.

/edit: Do I add you on Steam for leaderboards and stuff, or does it use a separate account for those a la NFS?

If the former, feel free to add me: steamcommunity.com/id/EdmondSA/
If the latter, I'll post my username/tag later and scan the thread for yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
You can see friend's times. Also be sure to JOIN THE DIRTYGOONS LEAGUE HERE

• Locked thread