Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Good Citizen posted:

I'm not sure why you think being a creepy psycho is going to keep him from winning. Cruz is gonna win this primary.

Because I still think the quieter majority of Republicans that nominated Romney and McCain haven't started registering in the mainstream conversation. I don't see why I should look at a Cruz campaign any more seriously than I did a Gingrich campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mitt Romney posted:

Update on the Sanders data incident:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/12/18/the-dnc-needs-to-restore-bernie-sanders-access-to-voter-data-fast/

Apparently the national data director told subordinates to access the data as well.

Yeah but I could also see this resulting from something like "lol guys look at how VAN hosed up"

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

lolol

quote:

This is absolute insanity.
This is literally totalitarian election rigging. I thought we lived in America, not god damned North Korea.

quote:

We can do this, and we will do this, because the DNC thinks we're a bunch of deviants sulking at the "normies" they think we think they are. We'll we're the loving NORMIES, we're more common than people think, the active and drat passionate normies of the democratic party who want to fundamentally fix our political system to how it should be, working for the empowerment of all the people of our nation.
If you can (physically and legally), make flyers for Bernie and post them on your local streetlamp poles. Do whatever you can to show the DNC that Bernie is real and Bernie is the candidate of the people. Make flyers, make berners, MAKE ART (I actually think it would be cool to have local artistic projects promoting the message of Bernie).
Elect Bernie Sanders to the presidency, because it is the thing that should and will be done.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Normies... seriously. they are using chan speak. lol. i like sanders. to bad it seems his fans are nuts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes local street art is the path to a Bernie nom, normal person.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

As usual moderate centrism is destroyed by its own fans. For shame moderate centrists.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Normies... seriously. they are using chan speak. lol. i like sanders. to bad it seems his fans are nuts.

/r/sandersforpresident is a treasure trove of hilarity. Way more entertaining than hillaryis44 ever was.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SavageBastard posted:

So after people realize Cruz is a creepy psycho, who is going to emerge as the actual Republican favorite?

I dunno, but look at this guy:

Just bang-bang-bangin' away on the drums of war. :dance:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

quote:

Can we take a moment to acknowledge the national mass media news sources keeping their wroters on standby at 2AM to write these sensationalist articles to make sure the media narrative is set for Friday before everyone wakes up?

quote:

I'll have to admit, I never thought that I would go this far.
I'm 19, but I've been disillusioned by the political process from a very early age. When I was younger, I was involved in some youth leadership government programs that really deterred me from politics and government. I swore it off by the age of 16 and vowed never to vote, never to participate, never to do anything because gently caress society and gently caress institution and gently caress bipartisanship and gently caress the negativity of the political climate in the US. gently caress EVERYTHING.
A few months ago, I started hearing about Bernie Sanders. This was around March. I slowly heard more, and agreed. For the first time in my life, I could emotionally identify with a political candidate. Bernie channeled not anger, but hopeful disappointment. That is, he knew the evils of the Congress, he knew the evils of lobbying, he knew the evils of our government and he worked hard to fight against it. His hope, his loving hope. It's contagious. It's irresistible.
So many times, whenever a video about Trump or Carson or some other Republican clown popped up on my Facebook newsfeed, I felt that same disappointment. But it was resigned. I was okay with letting it happen, because I expected it. Because this feeling of disappointment was normal for me.
But everytime, every goddam time I watched a clip of Bernie spitting some political fire or chastising the corruption, the evils, the bullshit politics of our world, I felt that hope. I felt every single drop of hope in his rhetoric. I felt it. It resonated like an echo in my heart, bouncing off of my tender and vulnerable psyche. For the first time, for the first time EVER, I felt true hope.
But even though I felt that hope, that heartfelt, untethered passion, there was a voice in my head telling me not to support. NOT to help. NOT to volunteer. Because if Bernie lost and I had given my all, then institution would win. Then Hillary Clinton would win. Then some crony piece of poo poo immoral politician would propagate the cycle of corruption that breeds hatred in the masses.
gently caress that. gently caress that.
I was scrolling down this subreddit earlier today and I broke down in tears. Goddamit.
I'm going to do everything in my power to help Bernie Sanders be elected. I'm going to do every drat thing I can do, expend every tool at my disposal, to help him become elected.
This is what Bernie Sanders does to people. His legacy is undeniable, regardless of his electability. It's time to act. It's time to immerse ourselves in the process. I've seen the evils of this world for far too long. I've spit hateful vitriol at it. I've cursed at the world around us, pathetically complaining about how horrible the conditions of existence were.
By not acting, I'm allowing the evil to perpetuate itself. I'm allowing these fuckface-spineless rightwinged sociopaths to get the power they want. I'm allowing liars and self-delusional narcissists such as Hillary Clinton to create more establishment deals with big corporations, all the while lying to the American public about how "she cares about the average American". Hillary Clinton is the wolf in sheep's clothing. So benign. So innocuously deceitful. Go cater to your focus groups you conservative hag.
This anger within me has brewed, stirred, and festered. My only release is realizing Bernie's election. My only release from this agony, over my institutional isolation, over my institutional oppression, over the institutionalized institutional lies is picking up your signs and protesting against this illiberal hegemony that hides under the guise of "democracy".
gently caress that. gently caress that.

The time is now. I've just signed up to volunteer for his campaign. I'm going to go door to door in my neighborhood to fight. I'm going to call for at least an hour everyday to fight. I'm going out to my college campus to talk to strangers, to fight. I'm going to talk to the old ladies at the supermarket, to fight.
But I won't be fighting with the same agonizing pain of my condition, as I used to torment from before. I'm fighting with the vicissitudes of willpower, each tendril causing wave after wave of validation, of purpose, of undeniable hope.
This is it. I've been converted. Not as a Bernie Sanders supporter (I've been a Bernie Sanders supporter from before my birth), but as a political agent. I've been converted from a pathetic, hateful, loathing bystander, into an active participant of the process - the political process.
This movement you've created - that we've created - is far more than an election or a campaign. This movement is the new era of politics in the United States. This movement is the salvation I've been desperately yearning for. This movement is a cultural phenomenon - be proud of what WEVE accomplished so far.
This is it. This is it. This is IT. The time is now. This campaign acts as a platform for the average American to become engaged in our world, to have an effect against institution, to fight against Wall Street cronies.
Fight with hope, for hope has converted even me, who once thought that all hope was extinguished.
Even in the womb, Bernie knew me. Bernie, thy will be done.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
It's wonderful seeing these idiots spin out. The ratfucking wasn't the bug, the ratfucking is that all this information with the same message dropped in the big news outlets for a coordinated push, immediately. The follow up ratfucking will be the audit going slow to strangle the campaign.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Devor posted:

Obama's SOTU address is going to be the declaring of the war on vague unease from the piece below

This is shockingly well-written. Where is it from?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

oh I see, you just need to sort by new

quote:

There is no coming back from this one. Even if the details vindicate Bernie himself, you have to understand that isn't what people will take from these headlines, and nobody's going to allow it to just blow over. I'm as gutted as all of you but the individuals responsible for this just committed one of the worst blunders in Presidential race history, and they have sunk Bernie's campaign. I will continue my support but I'm... despondent to say the least that this was allowed to happen. We were getting so close.

quote:

This reeks of loving bullshit. No it's cool though - she can run private email servers and poo poo but DNC IT fucks up at a convenient time and the plutocrats get their wish. This is a steep step down a dark road lined with blood soaked walls.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

poo poo poo poo poo poo how hosed is Bernie now? :gonk:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Yeah but I could also see this resulting from something like "lol guys look at how VAN hosed up"

Having also worked with VAN, this is entirely likely. You see something strange, you want somebody else to make sure they're seeing it too, and not that it's just some kind of weirdness in your account.
Not to absolve the Sanders people, but VAN should be the ones taking this on the chin.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

Compared to Dean she's still absolute poo poo though.
God drat I thought I was the only one.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Accelerationist posted:

If they try to use this to tank Bernie while also tolerating all the stupid crap Hillary did in regards to data security I WILL vote third party and hope Trump wins.

If both parties are going to be poo poo then gently caress it, let the country get worse until we force the corrupt out of positions of power.

Even I know I don't know what I'm talking about, but gently caress it I'll say it anyways posted:

I'm sorry, but I'm having a really hard time believing that there ISN'T a conspiracy here.

Not that I have a good theory to begin with.

But the timing for all of this is just far too coincidental. The day after a huge win for Bernie, and the day BEFORE the next debate? Not to mention that the DNC chair supports Clinton?

That's all I'm going to say on the matter though.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

quote:

Theres a lot of planning here. This didnt happen yesterday and hit all news sources at the same this morning. This release is timed perfectly to level the peak and distract any news from the major endorsements Bernie just received. And to provide negativity in the debate tomorrow, theres no time for a proper response to propagate.
This happened weeks / months ago and is being released now by the DNC, with obvious media coordination, for maximum damage. The timing alone should be enough evidence of purposeful smear and collusion.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
What "big win" did Bernie get yesterday?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's this "Bernie at the absolute apex of his campaign today and then this" stuff?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Grouchio posted:

He was never going to be the nominee so not anymore than before.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

jackofarcades posted:

CWA endorsement

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

jackofarcades posted:

Uhhh I think a PPP poll said he beat Hillary by a point in a general matchup against every Republican candidate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gail Wynand posted:

CWA endorsement

Ahahah oh I didn't know he had it in the bag.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

jackofarcades posted:

He raised 3 million dollars in 3 days and reached 2 million contributions.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Grouchio posted:

You can't kill what wasn't alive.

That said, everyone gloating about this is as bad as the hardcore bernouts. Can't really defend Clinton, who is awful, so just attack Sanders supporters for being crazy, which they kind of are, but still.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grouchio posted:

Fairly, he loses access to a major asset that Clinton still has in a (politically) short timeframe before the major poo poo starts. Dude was already lagging far behind and now he got the legs kicked out from under him.

Gail Wynand posted:

I'm 19, but I've been disillusioned by the political process from a very early age. When I was younger, I was involved in some youth leadership government programs that really deterred me from politics and government. I swore it off by the age of 16 and vowed never to vote, never to participate, never to do anything because gently caress society and gently caress institution and gently caress bipartisanship and gently caress the negativity of the political climate in the US. gently caress EVERYTHING.

I'll never not love the dudes all 'yea man, in Student Council this guy Jeff was buddies with the football team and they helped him get votes...never again...I've seen some poo poo in politics...'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think all Bernie supporters are 19 though?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

zoux posted:

I think all Bernie supporters are 19 though?

Bernie has a pretty diverse base of white people supporting him which includes crazy Reddit dudes so.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It was summer camp, we were electing cabin leaders, I campaigned on honest bunk assignment reform but Jeff, that scumbag, he said he'd probably suggest we get more swimming time in the lake. I knew from then on the system was rigged against the little guy.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

quote:

I propose this:
Use this debate and this weekend to arm yourself with a linguistic kill shot requesting people to FeeltheBern in some way. (Reading on this subject. 1 2 3)
"Why can't billionaires buy Bernie Sanders?" is my favorite question that MAKES someone ask themselves a question. If each of us were asking that question everywhere we went this political revolution would be long over. If each and every American was confronted with an assertion that a candidate who couldn't be bought was starting to win and needed their help; we win.
Get smarter.

quote:

One of the activities I suggest is using our signs a la a 'Who is John Galt?' campaign to just raise the name of Bernie Sanders with our voice in every corner.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I am not a book posted:

You're wrong here though, at least according to the Bloomberg article. They didn't have any export permissions, and I doubt that the loving Data Director for a national campaign was sitting there like a punk hand-writing info and then re-uploading it for the whole ~day that this bug was in production for.

I didn't necessarily mean he was copying the voter information. Probably was more concerned with some of Clinton's algorithms and filters for voter targeting and canvassing patterns. :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh, so now it's just a cult

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Cult of personality wasn't supposed to be literal!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had no idea data like that was kept from people inside the same party.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm late to the party, but I had no idea data like that was kept from people inside the same party.

Data from other people's campaigns? Yea, I don't think there's any system where you're not allowed private polling data and all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, when they're competing against each other.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd assume they want to keep it all centralized but still firewalled so that they can hand give the eventual nominee access to everything for the general. Still seems a bit shortsighted it all being managed by a single company.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Mitt Romney posted:

Update on the Sanders data incident:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/12/18/the-dnc-needs-to-restore-bernie-sanders-access-to-voter-data-fast/

Apparently the national data director told subordinates to access the data as well.

I could believe that the director after confirming some basic level of the data exposure tasked some subordinates to probe how wide and deep the hole went. He's a director, he's not going to do a full pen test himself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Well, when they're competing against each other.
I still thought they would both be operating off of the same data as each other until the primaries, and secrecy was just for the actual election against the other party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

this_is_hard posted:

I didn't necessarily mean he was copying the voter information. Probably was more concerned with some of Clinton's algorithms and filters for voter targeting and canvassing patterns. :shrug:

I can't speak to whether that kind of information leak is something that this bug would allow, but I'd be far more concerned about PII rather than anything else. "Wooooo Bernie might know how Hillary selects her contacts" is far less interesting, and frankly far less serious.

• Locked thread