Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Skandranon posted:

What IS the true process of creativity? If you say anything other than "magic of the human spirit", you've described a program.

the true process of creativity is finding out how many dicks you can put on something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

General Morden posted:

the true process of creativity is finding out how many dicks you can put on something

C'mon dude I'm pretty sure you can run mathematical models to figure that poo poo out.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I'd like to see the opposite of machine becoming man. One of your human companions gets mutilated by a deathclaw, and you shove their mind inside some form of bot / power armor frame, in a somewhat similar way to the whole Dreadnaught idea in Warhammer 40k.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ddraig posted:

If Big MT still existed they would have probably tried it eventually, assuming they hadn't already.

Big MT doesn't even know what dicks are anymore. This seems more like the kind of fringe technological research the Institute would be involved in

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Falken posted:

I'd like to see the opposite of machine becoming man. One of your human companions gets mutilated by a deathclaw, and you shove their mind inside some form of bot / power armor frame, in a somewhat similar way to the whole Dreadnaught idea in Warhammer 40k.

As if "John Fallout was a synth the whole time!" isn't gonna be the first DLC

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Big MT knows what dicks are, it's the things you use to grasp and hold objects

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ddraig posted:

Nobody knows. We haven't actually been able to fully replicate it either. We don't even really understand it.

So what makes you think "careful manipulation and rules-lawyering with their own programming" isn't entirely what is going in in our own brains?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Skandranon posted:

So what makes you think "careful manipulation and rules-lawyering with their own programming" isn't entirely what is going in in our own brains?

I don't, and given that I was perhaps a little hasty to cast aspersions on it not being synonymous with the "true" creative process, but regardless it's probably not going to happen in any Bethesda game given that their solution to making Curie human was to turn her into a synth, which is good enough for her, but apparently not good enough for the rest of the game where synths are treated as distinctly not-human.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Skandranon posted:

What IS the true process of creativity?

Decaying meat.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ddraig posted:

I think having your existence entirely dictated by another, supreme being who can, at will, shut down your very being is an interesting thing.

I'm interpreting this as repressed BDSM kink which explains all of your other posts

Ddraig posted:

I don't, and given that I was perhaps a little hasty to cast aspersions on it not being synonymous with the "true" creative process, but regardless it's probably not going to happen in any Bethesda game given that their solution to making Curie human was to turn her into a synth, which is good enough for her, but apparently not good enough for the rest of the game where synths are treated as distinctly not-human.

synths are treated as "distinctly not-human" by a lot of people but not "the rest of the game." In fact most people are only afraid of synths because of their association with the Institute. The only people that outright treat synths as not-human are the Brotherhood of Steel, the Institute, and Diamond City (the latter only happening because of fearmongering by the press).

In your quest to argue that Curie is problematic because she's yet another pretty girl you've forgotten that the entire Synth plot element is a racism allegory.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Ddraig posted:

You're right, how dare Bethesda not fully explore and answer to your liking a hugely complex debate that is ongoing today, in a video game that has "Bloody Mess" as a thing. Bethesda!! :argh:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i for one am more concerned about the implications that a short barreled module will increase the weight of a 8 pound weapon by 50%

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i for one am more concerned about the implications that a short barreled module will increase the weight of a 8 pound weapon by 50%

Are you fat shaming short barrel mods?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skandranon posted:

Are you fat shaming short barrel mods?
actually yes i am

i'm fat shaming the entire mod system as a matter of fact

how does a muzzle brake add 2 pounds, it's absurd, you're not making them out of depleted uranium

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

actually yes i am

i'm fat shaming the entire mod system as a matter of fact

how does a muzzle brake add 2 pounds, it's absurd, you're not making them out of depleted uranium

You sure about that last one? This is Fallout...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

you use depleted uranium for better things, like energy weapon mods that increase damage by 90% but somehow only add 0.4 pounds

strong bird
May 12, 2009

They did something silly, which was make something in the game called a 5 pound weight, and then assign it a weight of 5, without having everything else be correctly weighted in relation to the 5 pound weight.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Skandranon posted:

You're right, how dare Bethesda not fully explore and answer to your liking a hugely complex debate that is ongoing today, in a video game that has "Bloody Mess" as a thing. Bethesda!! :argh:

The problem is that there are concessions to a deeper meaning but it all ultimately leads nowhere because surface-level depth is enough, I guess. Ultimately if they didn't really want to explore the implications of the things they've decided to include they probably shouldn't have included them because it's just frustrating otherwise.

Also Segmentation Fault I don't know what your weird obsession with me and supposed sexual proclivities I have is all about but it's not normal.

And the racism allegory is only reinforced by the Railroad, and even then it's very, very loving weird if that is the main thrust of the entire thing because it's heavily implied that the Railroad only really cares about synths that display the necessary level of cognition and don't "freak them out". I'm not sure Bethesda, if they wanted to make the synth's liberation analogous to the underground railroad of the slave trade, really thought it through if the main condition for the liberation's care about their plight is their ability to identify with them as humans.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 18, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fereydun posted:

this explains everything

It certainly explains this entire thread, at the very least

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Ddraig posted:

Curie literally one has one choice, though, which happens to be an incredibly attractive (by wasteland standards) synth that is also able to perfectly replicate a French accent despite Curie having trouble breathing without thinking about it.

Jesus that's a pretty embarassing sidequest. It's like they wanted to capitalize on Mass Effect several years too late. Curie as a kawaii French robot was at least slightly original as far as fan service goes, though.

look at this loving nerd thinking human curie is attractive.

I wanna gently caress that perfect white spheroid.

The Curie solution is to put her in a synth body, than pull out her new synth brain and put THAT back into one of those big mountain brain-case robots.

yesssss

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I thought I was reading the other thread for a second.

Curie would have been a better character if she had some more dialogue besides "oh wow the wasteland is dark, but surely there are nice people, yes?"

buglord fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 18, 2015

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

even the gooniest of goons tend not to be this nitpicky about what constitutes sentience but here we are

Suppose humans had a nerve tucked away in the body that, when pressed down, caused complete and total amnesia. Humans touched at this nerve would revert to a "default state," with a blank slate of a mind that can be exploited for whatever purpose. Does that mean that humans aren't sentient?

scopolamine.

http://www.vice.com/video/colombian-devil-s-breath-1-of-2

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So I think it doesn't count as a mental illness if I share the needless hours I've spent building a fake settlement in a bad video game, right? Thanks to the various mods suggested in this thread I've gotten Sanctuary off the ground and into something maybe a little memorable? I'll maybe try to do 1-2 other 'really dedicated' settlements in this play-through, but leave a lot of the less inspired locations unpopulated or with 3-4 settlers to farm some crops or gather water.

Welcome to Sanctuary- the nicest darn place between Diamond City and the Great Beyond. Great to live in and a swell place to stop off at.

Coming across the Old North Bridge, stop off at our trading post, where traders from around the Commonwealth regularly pitch their wares. Or pop in to the Sanctuary Inn for a drink and good old time!

That's right, we have pool! Soon to come, more pool balls.

Or just stop inside for a drink. Or rent a room and enjoy some comforts after a long journey.

Of course, if you're running low on caps, the house across the way is always open for all types :)

Don't let the front gates intimidate you- safety first is a Commonwealth motto.

Speaking of safety, we'll soon be finished with Fort Sanctuary- dedicated to protecting us all.

First stop on our tour- the greenhouse- where we grow the freshest vegetables.

Our scientists are hard at work, figuring out new ways to put our planters on tables, and making our carrots not green.

Environmentally friendly power!

A cutting edge clinic

A full service bathhouse- you'll never have to worry about dirty fingernails again!

Showers, and a place to get to know your neighbors

Stop in at our general store, and catch Sanctuary Radio, broadcasting from the roof

You'll find almost anything you could need here. Food, clothes, tools, housewares...even a nuka-cola machine

If you're venturing deeper in to the wastes, stop by Sanctuary Shooters

But maybe consider just staying? Sanctuary- a nice place to raise a family.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pwnstar posted:

There should be a quest to give Preston a human body since he's the most dull and robotic character in the game.
I met a man pretending to be Preston Garvey on the road to Tenpines Bluff one day.

"Donate 100 caps to the Minutemen to help the cause!" he said. "The General needs all the help he can get!"

Unfortunately, I am the General of the Minutemen.

The punishment for impersonating an officer is death.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Minutemen could do with a couple of the "raid the military base" type missions, get the random minutemen you meet better gear, maybe more patrols the more settlements you have active. Just some reason to either do settlements or side with the minutemen.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

There should be a quest to give Preston a human body since he's the most dull and robotic character in the game.

The first few times I played through I wondered who the hell was the guy screaming for help at Concord... then I realized it was Garvey, and that just happens to be the only line he delivers with any emotion.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I met a man pretending to be Preston Garvey on the road to Tenpines Bluff one day.

"Donate 100 caps to the Minutemen to help the cause!" he said. "The General needs all the help he can get!"

Unfortunately, I am the General of the Minutemen.

The punishment for impersonating an officer is death.

This is a great random event and I want to see it.

Doing minuteman quests should automatically level up their gear. I did see a random group of minutemen in their natural habitat that were level 22 or so and all had laser muskets, so I know they can get higher levels, but they don't seem to scale that well and the situation is even worse for settlers. Come to think of it, minuteman quests should automatically level up the gear of settlers since they're the whole settler-focused faction. I have never changed the gear on any of my settlers because to hell with that hassle.

I saw a mod that improved minuteman leveled gear but nothing automatic for settlers.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Every game needs its Carth.

regarding curie stealth : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2679/ may fix it, however, enjoy your honky mofo carth.

Besides, if I want to actually stealth, I tell my companions to wait somewhere.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Stuff I want to see in settler mods:

• Assigning a container as *communal equipment* that I could just fill with whatever junk I don't want to use and it would get equipped as upgrades by settlers, or some missions to up the basic guns settlers have from pipe pistols to assault rifles and laser muskets.

• More professions aside from farmer, trader, salvager and provisioner, I'd want to equip raiders and hunters, imagine how nice it would be to have hunters deliver a bunch of radstag meat.
    I also want beer brewers and bakers to use that razorgrain and water that piles up and to build the equipment needed for those types of professions.

• Slightly better interface for managing the settlers, probably through menu's.

• Randomized settler names that come after their profession, Farmer Jeb, Provisioner Bob, Settler NotASynth.

• Something to pour player resources into that would otherwise pile up into ridiculous levels, like stimpacks, drugs, grenades, ammo.

• Named NPC actually doing what they are told, stop loving mopping around Jun Long and go sit behind the store, your not the only person around here who lost a kid if you didn't know.

• Improved raider attacks, so the sanctuary bridge isn't always ignored in favor of them attacking across the river, where my strongest turrets were moved because nobody ever takes the bridge, and so the attacker strength/defender strength can factor in so if I leave one raider with a pool cue up before leaving I don't fail the defense and lose 12 settlers to that guy.

• Being able to assign things for only my use, I'm tired of the dirty peasants sleeping in my bed in my workshop area off to the side.
That's just off the top of my head.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 18, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

• Assigning a container as *communal equipment* that I could just fill with whatever junk I don't want to use and it would get equipped as upgrades by settlers, or some missions to up the basic guns settlers have from pipe pistols to assault rifles and laser muskets.

• More professions aside from farmer, trader, salvager and provisioner, I'd want to equip raiders and hunters, imagine how nice it would be to have hunters deliver a bunch of radstag meat.
    I also want beer brewers and bakers to use that razorgrain and water that piles up and to build the equipment needed for those types of professions.

• Randomized settler names that come after their profession, Farmer Jeb, Provisioner Bob, Settler NotASynth.

• Something to pour player resources into that would otherwise pile up into ridiculous levels, like stimpacks, drugs, grenades, ammo.

• Named NPC actually doing what they are told, stop loving mopping around Jun Long and go sit behind the store, your not the only person around here who lost a kid if you didn't know.

• Improved raider attacks, so the sanctuary bridge isn't always ignored in favor of them attacking across the river, where my strongest turrets were moved because nobody ever takes the bridge, and so the attacker strength/defender strength can factor in so if I leave one raider with a pool cue up before leaving I don't fail the defense and lose 12 settlers to that guy.

• Being able to assign things for only my use, I'm tired of the dirty peasants sleeping in my bed in my workshop area off to the side.

Have I got a game for you!

http://www.falloutshelter.com/

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You can stop them from sleeping in your bed if you make pathing to it difficult for them. So if they have to jump to get on a staircase, they shouldn't be able to, or if it's close enough to the skybox.

Also, there was a mod posted earlier that lets you create working elevators. I doubt the settlers can path using it, but haven't had a chance to try yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
haha holy poo poo the last 2 pages of this thread totally happened

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Coolguye posted:

haha holy poo poo the last 2 pages of this thread totally happened

No they didnt, dont think about it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm building a laser tower of death, thanks to that elevator mod, does anyone know the range of heavy lasers? Also, what's some better power mods?

Kea posted:

No they didnt, dont think about it.

There might be a mod for that.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 18, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Skandranon posted:

You can stop them from sleeping in your bed if you make pathing to it difficult for them. So if they have to jump to get on a staircase, they shouldn't be able to, or if it's close enough to the skybox.

You can also assign settlers to beds manually, though that won't stop new arrivals from claiming your bed.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I'm building a laser tower of death, thanks to that elevator mod, does anyone know the range of heavy lasers? Also, what's some better power mods?

If you dont mind cheating you can check my post history in this thread and get how to spawn in the fusebox that gives 100 power.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Component rework hit a bit of a snag, lot of variables tied to currently unknown weapon stats and rebalancing bloom is impossible without knowing the exact base parameters from the weapons themselves :shepicide:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

I'm building a laser tower of death, thanks to that elevator mod, does anyone know the range of heavy lasers?

Turrets, in general, have an obscenely long range. For reference, I have a missile turret on the very top of the saucer thing on top of Starlight Drive-In that can and will engage targets under the bridge along the road, which is about as far away as the AI can spawn.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gonkish posted:

Turrets, in general, have an obscenely long range. For reference, I have a missile turret on the very top of the saucer thing on top of Starlight Drive-In that can and will engage targets under the bridge along the road, which is about as far away as the AI can spawn.

Missile turrets are an outlier actually, all the other turrets have a fairly short range so they aren't worth building really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Missile turrets, more often than not, fire at things long before I see them.

Doesn't help when the game decides to spawn raiders/gunners in my base though :smithcloud:

• Locked thread