Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

black potus posted:

personally i'm a very large fan of how this started with magic's poisonous business model and quickly degenerated into people who move their cards in their hand. truly equally grave dangers facing this game.

The game is very bad to get all the things you need to play it, then the people you can play it with are also awful. Truly dire times for us wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: Lands are the primary resource and mechanic for this game so they should be in front. Also helps to prevent your opponent from cheating with them as easily.

You do this just to be contrarian and you know it :colbert:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Making sure you have the correct amount of cards isn't nothing... Thats why I do it.

As people have already said, if you play that card in a deck that doesn't also play Crackling Doom and Kolaghans command you're doing it wrong.

I don't pile shuffle at all if I already know I have the right number of cards, but will always pile shuffle for that purpose. Since I almost always sideboard or de-sideboard, it means I always pile shuffle :v:

It's not that big of a deal. It's mostly just insufferable ragelords who are complaining on the internet that they're they're tired of dealing with all the other "jerks" instead of just loving playing the goddamn cardgame.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 18, 2015

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
kid: mom i'm still really angry about what people do with their hands and cards in play in the game magic the gathering
mom: finally i'm convinced that the bleach enemas aren't working

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

C-Euro posted:

No I mean nothing on the card really matches with anything else on the card. Like, it's a large Goblin with Menace that also acts like a sometimes-better Snapcaster but only on your turn? Also the goblins don't have eyes?

I meant to cut the quote out, I'm not really challenging you on what you said. But I think both version's art does a good job of making you see these scary, subterranean goblins, recovering useful stuff from the depths, but it doesn't match the Zendikar goblins we've seen (who I think all have plated ridges on their heads? Or are those helmets?)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Boco_T posted:

Melissa DeTora's back on TCG Player today, which I guess means she and Frank moved to Seattle so she could work for Wizards for just a year.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13014

Eek, that has to be rough. I am curious what is the story behind that departure.

Guy, I finally figured out what standard needs. Standard needs fireblast to be reprinted.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just call it pile sorting from now on and hopefully people will begin to figure it out.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just call it pile sorting from now on and hopefully people will begin to figure it out.

Actually a good idea.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't pile shuffle at all if I already know I have the right number of cards, but will always pile shuffle for that purpose. Since I almost always sideboard or de-sideboard, it means I always pile shuffle :v:

You could just count your sideboard, which takes approximately a twentieth the amount of time that it takes to pile shuffle 60 cards :v:

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Boco_T posted:

Melissa DeTora's back on TCG Player today, which I guess means she and Frank moved to Seattle so she could work for Wizards for just a year.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13014

Wasn't she just doing a design internship or something? Although that's not exactly an internship that translates well to other companies. Jackie Lee seems to still be there.

Woops, it's in the article:
I am no longer at Wizards and I'm now back in the world of MTG. I'm sure many of you are wondering what happened. The short version was that I was a contractor employee. When my contract was up at the end of the year there were no open positions in Wizards R&D and I was let go. It was pretty bad timing for both me and Wizards, but I'm remaining optimistic that I will be able to go back to Wizards when they have open positions.

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 18, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

UberJew posted:

You could just count your sideboard, which takes approximately a twentieth the amount of time that it takes to pile shuffle 60 cards :v:

Don't forget to count the cards that you dropped on the floor while you were shuffling too!

Edit:

odiv posted:

Also the aura from the last round that your opponent accidentally took.

At least then you'll both get game losses.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 18, 2015

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Also the aura from the last round that your opponent accidentally took.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

Wasn't she just doing a design internship or something? Although that's not exactly an internship that translates well to other companies. Jackie Lee seems to still be there.

I am no longer at Wizards and I'm now back in the world of MTG. I'm sure many of you are wondering what happened. The short version was that I was a contractor employee. When my contract was up at the end of the year there were no open positions in Wizards R&D and I was let go. It was pretty bad timing for both me and Wizards, but I'm remaining optimistic that I will be able to go back to Wizards when they have open positions.

The most hosed up thing about this is that she might not be able to play competitively for 2-5 years from now depending on what future sets she worked on.

WOTC truly has some of the dumbest rules.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

The most hosed up thing about this is that she might not be able to play competitively for 2-5 years from now depending on what future sets she worked on.

I thought they changed it so it's only the first few weeks after each set is released. I vaguely remember Gerry T talking about it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I thought they changed it so it's only the first few weeks after each set is released. I vaguely remember Gerry T talking about it.

Does that still eliminate her from the pro tour?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

suicidesteve posted:

That sounds much more fair. Not even completely sure there's much advantage, given how often future league seems to completely misjudge things.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's weird seeing how many of you care about card flicking or counting. Like of all the things wrong with this lovely incestuous community and you guys pick the most innocuous and harmless parroting of what people see on streams. I don't get it.

"I can deal with filthy stores run by assholes, weird cliquish bullshit that should have died out in middle school, cheaters, morons playing cardboard Gordon Gecko, but this dude is doing some counting just like someone on the internet and IM FLIPPING THE gently caress OUT"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

Apparently working at WOTC is like trying to get a job with the government.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Sickening posted:

Yeah, it seems like a pretty huge risk for a pro player to try to transition to working for them. It's like if you took a programming internship/contract, and if they decide to not pick you up full time, you can't touch a computer for the next 5 years.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: Lands are the primary resource and mechanic for this game so they should be in front. Also helps to prevent your opponent from cheating with them as easily.

Yeah makes sense that you'd want the game's primary resource and mechanic as far away from you as possible

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah makes sense that you'd want the game's primary resource and mechanic as far away from you as possible

Exactly, so you can see it better. Just like in Agricola or Stone Age where you place it above your tableau.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's weird seeing how many of you care about card flicking or counting. Like of all the things wrong with this lovely incestuous community and you guys pick the most innocuous and harmless parroting of what people see on streams. I don't get it.

"I can deal with filthy stores run by assholes, weird cliquish bullshit that should have died out in middle school, cheaters, morons playing cardboard Gordon Gecko, but this dude is doing some counting just like someone on the internet and IM FLIPPING THE gently caress OUT"

It's a fun thing to talk about whereas talking about Magic's spiraling economic insanity is sad and makes everyone fight.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's a fun thing to talk about whereas talking about Magic's spiraling economic insanity is sad and makes everyone fight.

Only if you focus on the negatives. Focus instead on cool and good stories of people using their magical cards to pay for college or a new car. :)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The Canadian dollar is almost down to 70 cents American. Using all of my money to buy singles was apparently a good investment.

Seriously considering picking up the foil Lili down at the LGS now. The price sticker hasn't changed in months while our dollar has been falling.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Only if you focus on the negatives. Focus instead on cool and good stories of people using their magical cards to pay for college or a new car. :)

A Magic thread about us all being sensible and quitting Magic would be odd.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

My store's pretty nice, and not shark-y, so gently caress you, got mine, card flicking bugs me because I'm ADD and easily distracted.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A Magic thread about us all being sensible and quitting Magic would be odd.

Well, it's not mutually exclusive. My friend still plays even after selling enough to pay for a year and a half of schooling (so about $15-20k). It's just that you can also talk about the good side of wizard economics, even though it also results in inaccessibility and a host of other problems.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

kizudarake posted:

My store's pretty nice, and not shark-y, so gently caress you, got mine, card flicking bugs me because I'm ADD and easily distracted.

i recommend medication as a treatment for ADD over complaining about people on the internet. and yes, I'm a Doctor.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i will be surprised if within the next 5 or so years digital TCGs haven't edged magic and other paper tcgs out significantly. magic may still be being produced, i wouldn't toxx on it dying or anything, but i doubt it will have much clout beyond being the first. even paper LCGs just incur a bunch of distribution issues as the card pool grows that a digital game can neatly avoid. even abolishing the reserve list is prob not enough, i feel like wotc would need to uproot their entire business model (loving a ton of stores over in the process i'm sure) to stay competitive.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
strip mtg leagues :wink:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What I imagine happening in the next five or so years is that Hasbro/Stockholders pressure WOTC to continue the insanely high sales and growth trends of the past five years and as reaching sales figures becomes a greater and greater focus game design starts making short term decisions and the quality starts dropping. Players leave, design doubles down on the next gimmick to try and make their numbers, feedback loop, death.

It will be really interesting to see the sales figures for the last couple of sets, anecdotal evidence shows a significant drop.

That's my "How is MTG going to die" fanfiction, thanks for reading.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ugh I can't believe anyone cares about card flicking! However, I can assure you it's much more sensible to care about whether they care about card flicking, and furthermore,

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

Ugh I can't believe anyone cares about card flicking! However, I can assure you it's much more sensible to care about whether they care about card flicking, and furthermore,

whiny anal nerds are a much greater blight upon my bumper crop of sweet plays than dudes doing stuff w/ their cards. sad but true...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Weird hobby to indulge in if that's the case.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
sadly they are everywhere, my life is an Egypt upon which an angry god has unleashed this plague

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What I imagine happening in the next five or so years is that Hasbro/Stockholders pressure WOTC to continue the insanely high sales and growth trends of the past five years and as reaching sales figures becomes a greater and greater focus game design starts making short term decisions and the quality starts dropping. Players leave, design doubles down on the next gimmick to try and make their numbers, feedback loop, death.

It will be really interesting to see the sales figures for the last couple of sets, anecdotal evidence shows a significant drop.

That's my "How is MTG going to die" fanfiction, thanks for reading.

What % of Hasbro income comes from Wizards?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

They are sketch on details, but discuss it as a major brand equivalent to GI Joe and Trasnformers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

An absolute tonne of BFZ has been opened due to expeditions.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

black potus posted:

i will be surprised if within the next 5 or so years digital TCGs haven't edged magic and other paper tcgs out significantly. magic may still be being produced, i wouldn't toxx on it dying or anything, but i doubt it will have much clout beyond being the first. even paper LCGs just incur a bunch of distribution issues as the card pool grows that a digital game can neatly avoid. even abolishing the reserve list is prob not enough, i feel like wotc would need to uproot their entire business model (loving a ton of stores over in the process i'm sure) to stay competitive.

I think one of the things magic will have is the collectible nature. It's not just the game aspect, you get to capitalize on the same drives that collectible markets take advantage of. On top of which you have the ability to get something back for your investment if you choose to cash out vs. just being stuck.

Like I've personally gotten in and out of playing like 3-4 times and although I've not gotten back what I've put in, I've been able to get something. Whereas if I decide to quit playing Hearthstone or w/e, that's pretty much just gone (although the startup costs are generally less, unless you're trying to get all the chase cards where you're resorting to just cracking packs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yeah I'd like to see that evidence because from what I've heard BFZ is the best selling set of all time above the #2, KTK

in terms of data many regions have a serious judge shortage because so many events are happening

• Locked thread