Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
buildable totems and display cases were some of the best parts of Masterwork really. Honestly, it takes wood to make a totem IIRC, so they're definitely the skull on a stick kind in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Muscle Tracer posted:

Did pedestals ever make it into the main game or was that just a goonmod?

Nah, it was, but to credit properly we stole that poo poo wholesale from ModestMod

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So Math posted:

My custom stone stockpiles don't seem to be respecting their limitations, for example accepting ores when I disallowed them. Has anyone else had this issue? Also, can I pour out a barrel of frozen chipmunk blood?

Dunno about the stockpile but you should be able to either mark the blood for dumping but not the barrel or vice versa.

If it was a regular stone stockpile with ore in it and you then disallowed ore after the fact it might just be taking some time for haulers to sort things out.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Spanish Matlock posted:

buildable totems and display cases were some of the best parts of Masterwork really. Honestly, it takes wood to make a totem IIRC, so they're definitely the skull on a stick kind in my mind.

Nope, just a skull.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wasn't there someone who had a miner get exposed to magma, then had a legendary medical dwarf treat her using adamantine thread, bandages, and splints, and eventually the miner went back to work, still swathed head-to-toe in adamantine and now functionally impervious to all harm, because every part of her body was essentially destroyed?

I'm pretty sure one of the Dwarf Fortress LPs had a Dwarf (Holistic Detective?) walked through lava to kill an enemy.

RedTonic posted:

I'm pretty sure this is because he has already looked into the horrors of the Internet hivemind. He decided that seeing what modders would do with a poo poo contaminant was just not on his bucket list.

Someone would tame hundreds of elephants just so they could load a reservoir with poo poo to dump on invaders. A giant brown avalanche. :shrek:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm playing as a bard/poet/dancer elf running around wherever and I find that I can do a great performance... provided I can actually finish it. As of now, most of them just stop because one of the losers that come in to pretend to be an instrument leaves. Does setting up a troupe actually fix this problem?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the Dwarf Fortress LPs had a Dwarf (Holistic Detective?) walked through lava to kill an enemy.

Different case entirely. Temperature had been turned off at some point during the LP, so just about everyone was wading in lava pools.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Moridin920 posted:

Dunno about the stockpile but you should be able to either mark the blood for dumping but not the barrel or vice versa.

If it was a regular stone stockpile with ore in it and you then disallowed ore after the fact it might just be taking some time for haulers to sort things out.

This was a completely new stockpile. I'll have to check if I tried to do give/take with the old stockpile; I don't even remember now. :shrug:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How do I make a working minecart route going up multiple z-levels? I've found plenty of tutorials for simple east/west routes but nothing that spans multiple levels.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Sankis posted:

How do I make a working minecart route going up multiple z-levels? I've found plenty of tutorials for simple east/west routes but nothing that spans multiple levels.
Create a pathable minecart track which uses the appropriate ramp-track tiles when crossing Z-levels. This can be tricky if you're carving the tracks into rock ramps for the first time; it's easier to construct track-ramp tiles because you can ensure that the correct NSEW directions are used.

The track can be a tight corkscrew, or it can be a big meandering milk-run which includes several stops on each Z-level.

Now setup a Route somewhere along the track and point it towards the nearest ramp (e.g. "Guide East" if the ramp is eastwards of the stop). Setup a waypoint at your destination - it doesn't matter whether the destination is on the same Z-level or forty levels higher. The dwarf pilot will find a valid route. If he starts carrying the cart then it means that he couldn't find a path; your track is probably broken somewhere (e.g. due to bad NSEW directions on your track-ramps).

Remember that track-ramps, like regular ramps, must be adjacent to a solid wall in order to allow ascent in that direction.

If you're using carved tracks, then remember that they will be overwritten by a Smooth Stone designation. It's easy to lay track through a newly-excavated area (e.g. to facilitate boulder movement) and then subsequently mass-smooth the area as you develop it into living space, inadvertently severing your minecart tracks and loving up your transportation links.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I had a stockpile of cut gems and a stockpile of good quality finished goods feeding into a jeweler's workshop , both of which were located right next to the workshop. My jewelry dwarf insisted that no finished goods could be located. I removed the stockpile links and he goes three stories up and to the other side of the fortress to get a dirty old sock and encrust it with jade. :iiam:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are unpowered minecart tracks even worth setting up? I haven't touched minecarts at all since they seem really difficult to set up but maybe I'm missing out on huge benefit from a relatively easy job.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Internet Kraken posted:

Are unpowered minecart tracks even worth setting up? I haven't touched minecarts at all since they seem really difficult to set up but maybe I'm missing out on huge benefit from a relatively easy job.

Perfectly fine for a down track, or moving ore / stone around on one z-level.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I had a stockpile of cut gems and a stockpile of good quality finished goods feeding into a jeweler's workshop , both of which were located right next to the workshop. My jewelry dwarf insisted that no finished goods could be located.
The answer is often "bins."

1) Jeweler grabs a goblet out of the nearby finished goods bin.
2) Jeweler grabs a garnet out of the nearby cut gems bin.
3) Jeweler smashes them together and drops the decorated goblet into the workshop inventory.
4) Hauler thinks "Hey! There's a finished good sitting outside of a designated stockpile!"
5) Hauler enqueues a "Store item in bin" task.
6) Hauler reserves the finished goods bin for use in his task.
7) Jeweler looks around for another finished goods item. He can't find any because the bin is forbidden.
8) Jeweler cancels the job and reports failure.

Solution: gently caress bins. Use quantum stockpiles instead.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

GulMadred posted:

The answer is often "bins."

1) Jeweler grabs a goblet out of the nearby finished goods bin.
2) Jeweler grabs a garnet out of the nearby cut gems bin.
3) Jeweler smashes them together and drops the decorated goblet into the workshop inventory.
4) Hauler thinks "Hey! There's a finished good sitting outside of a designated stockpile!"
5) Hauler enqueues a "Store item in bin" task.
6) Hauler reserves the finished goods bin for use in his task.
7) Jeweler looks around for another finished goods item. He can't find any because the bin is forbidden.
8) Jeweler cancels the job and reports failure.

Solution: gently caress bins. Use quantum stockpiles instead.

Nope. I also have an output stockpile set to take solely from the jeweler's workshop, and this was the first craft made by the workshop to begin with.

In any case, once that one sock was encrusted to the dwarf's liking I reset the stockpile system and now things are moving along fine. He just really really wanted to bling that sock.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

Impulse ramps make it all easier.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Minecarts aren't too tough to learn for basic guided minecart trips, but there are plenty of advanced tricks and exploits to make them very powerful.

It's pretty easy to set up simple dwarf-guided routes for mass hauling between two points. You can construct a track stop on a track that makes any mine cart dump it's contents to an adjacent tile and create quantum stockpiles, useful for hauling wood logs from the surface or ore/stone from a mine.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

GulMadred posted:

Create a pathable minecart track which uses the appropriate ramp-track tiles when crossing Z-levels. This can be tricky if you're carving the tracks into rock ramps for the first time; it's easier to construct track-ramp tiles because you can ensure that the correct NSEW directions are used.

The track can be a tight corkscrew, or it can be a big meandering milk-run which includes several stops on each Z-level.

Now setup a Route somewhere along the track and point it towards the nearest ramp (e.g. "Guide East" if the ramp is eastwards of the stop). Setup a waypoint at your destination - it doesn't matter whether the destination is on the same Z-level or forty levels higher. The dwarf pilot will find a valid route. If he starts carrying the cart then it means that he couldn't find a path; your track is probably broken somewhere (e.g. due to bad NSEW directions on your track-ramps).

Remember that track-ramps, like regular ramps, must be adjacent to a solid wall in order to allow ascent in that direction.

If you're using carved tracks, then remember that they will be overwritten by a Smooth Stone designation. It's easy to lay track through a newly-excavated area (e.g. to facilitate boulder movement) and then subsequently mass-smooth the area as you develop it into living space, inadvertently severing your minecart tracks and loving up your transportation links.

Thanks. That helps.

I think it was my carved ramps loving everything up. Is there any reason not to use NSEW ramps for everything or will that mess it up too?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Sankis posted:

Is there any reason not to use NSEW ramps for everything or will that mess it up too?
If you're using Guide exclusively, then NSEW ramp-tracks are fine. The main reason not to use them would be autistic/aesthetic insistence on correctness. There may be a slightly higher pathfinding cost because the game needs to check a bunch of invalid directions.

If you plan to include unguided minecart activity (powered by gravity or mechanisms) then it becomes important to limit the available directions. If a minecart is expected to turn a corner but it finds itself on a NSEW track section then it will simply derail (e.g. slam into the adjacent wall and stop moving).

As Moridin920 mentioned, you can abuse the physics system by deliberately setting up "incorrect" ramps along a flat section of track. These are nicknamed impulse ramps. They can quickly accelerate a cart to enormous speed, which is rarely needed for normal transportation purposes (the injury-risk overshadows the reduction of travel time) but which is vital to weapons projects ("minecart shotgun").

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Dwarf fortress remote viewer for IOS still seems ridiculous as always. New video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx1ufV2DzJA&hd=1

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Stockpile linkages are broken and it's a drat tragedy. I'd just gotten used to using them in last version (with the starter pack and thus dhack) and they were amazing. I hope either Toady fixes them or the updated dhack will.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah, broken links are driving me insane at the moment. I want my dwarves to grind up only some kind of seeds, not all of them. Before I could get that to happen via stockpile links, but now the best I can think of doing is forbidding all the stuff I don't want to get used and remember to unforbid when it's done.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Phoebus quit supporting his tileset. What's a good alternative?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I'm not sure if any of the graphical tilesets have updated to support the new professions yet.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yeah, broken links are driving me insane at the moment. I want my dwarves to grind up only some kind of seeds, not all of them. Before I could get that to happen via stockpile links, but now the best I can think of doing is forbidding all the stuff I don't want to get used and remember to unforbid when it's done.

I'm using stockpile links more or less just fine. It's let me make exclusively rice beer, for example. Also although I had some weirdness with a sock, it's let me encrust specific quality finished goods as well.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Whenever I go inside of a dark fortress in Adventure mode, the game gets overwhelmed with processing stuff and freezes. Has anyone else encountered this? Adventure mode typically runs really smoothly on my computer.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7526

just don't go in them

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

But they're like the funnest places to adventure :(

Crab man wrestlers are great fun. You can snap a goblin's spine with a single pinch to the neck. I really wanted to claw my way to the top of the tower and get murdered by a demon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like how after going through the effort to build a nice pretty temple for my dwarves it only took them half a year to cover it in vomit and spilled beer.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

DeadGame posted:

Phoebus quit supporting his tileset.

Aw dang :(

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Lawman 0 posted:

I really really want Dwarven dentistry so I can have dwarves with adamantium dentures after they get their teeth kicked out by random critters.

If this ends up being a thing, you need to be able to engrave individual teeth with different scenes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sperglord Firecock posted:

If this ends up being a thing, you need to be able to engrave individual teeth with different scenes.
Not to mention blunt or sharp/pointy teeth versions. Teeth made from sharpened steel are a hit with soldiers and courtesans.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

So this is kind of weird, but my fort has been pumping out nautilus shell jewelry like nobody's business, and some of my dwarves have taken the jewelry and are wearing it. Like a lot of it was super encrusted with gems for sale and the little fuckers are just absconding with it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Of course they are! This is a thing now, the need for bling is adjusted by immodesty and avarice. Maybe you could export something your dwarves aren't sorely lacking right now?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

scamtank posted:

Of course they are! This is a thing now, the need for bling is adjusted by immodesty and avarice. Maybe you could export something your dwarves aren't sorely lacking right now?

It's cool I still have a shitton of blinged out shell necklaces for trade. It's kind of cool that they use the little things like bracelets and mugs now. I have a dining room set up with mug stockpiles and prepared meals/booze and people are actually eating in it like civilized beings. No visitors at my Inn yet though, I wonder if my fortress is just too far away for people to bother.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Are dwarves happier when they're wearing exquisitely-crafted large clear diamond-encrusted rings on every finger and toe?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

Are dwarves happier when they're wearing exquisitely-crafted large clear diamond-encrusted rings on every finger and toe?

No, they're still distracted by their failure to acquire something.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Just like people in real life!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I can't for the life of me get a drink in Adventure Mode. Sure, I can drink water or blood or what have you, but I can't order an actual drink at the tavern. They just keep blabbing about rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Lareine posted:

I can't for the life of me get a drink in Adventure Mode. Sure, I can drink water or blood or what have you, but I can't order an actual drink at the tavern. They just keep blabbing about rooms.

Every time I've stumbled upon a Tavern, the booze was free. There was the curious lack of a tavern keeper and a few holes in the walls though.