Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've literally never seen one in the US. Most bathrooms have them on separate switches which accomplishes the same general task without leaving you UNABLE to stop the stupid fan.

If they use a spring‐loaded mechanical timer like every U.S. hotel, they can be forced back to 0 to turn the fan off whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I've literally never seen one in the US. Most bathrooms have them on separate switches which accomplishes the same general task without leaving you UNABLE to stop the stupid fan.

We have a lot of carbohydrates in our diet.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I just redid my bathroom and put a timer switch in for my fan. So. Amazing. 6 choices for time and it will remember your last setting. Worth it, especially since I got a Panasonic whisper quiet fan and can't tell it's running unless I listen really carefully.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

Tigntink posted:

I just redid my bathroom and put a timer switch in for my fan. So. Amazing. 6 choices for time and it will remember your last setting. Worth it, especially since I got a Panasonic whisper quiet fan and can't tell it's running unless I listen really carefully.

I had no clue this was even and option and now I think this will be going into every bathroom in the house.

sirnollem fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 18, 2015

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You can also get humidity sensing switches that turn on automatically when you shower.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Our local code says that a bathroom with a window does not need a fan. Even if that window is inoperable or made out of glass block. So pretty much every added bathroom in semi-submerged basement is steamy/stinky as all hell, because nobody wanted to bother with $35 worth of fan.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Our local code says that a bathroom with a window does not need a fan. Even if that window is inoperable or made out of glass block. So pretty much every added bathroom in semi-submerged basement is steamy/stinky as all hell, because nobody wanted to bother with $35 worth of fan.

Oh god the mold. :gonk:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nitrox posted:

This is the problem with my master bathroom. Local code says you only need a window. The window works but it's mid wall so there's a whole line of slime stain from steam above the window. It's our next major reno project. We are going to do the same thing as we did in the other bathroom. Fan, timer, better lighting, heated floor. Last bathroom was about $10,000 all in with us doing everything but the plumbing. Master tear down will be similar but with us custom building the vanity to better fit the space.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I hate people building to fulfill codes. One of the rules here is apparently that you can't classify something as a bedroom if it doesn't have a closet, so to do this someone basically put a doorframe across one room's corner to create a tiny triangular closet. It's so small its practically useless and just serves to make the room a slightly awkward shape to fit stuff in. We had to buy a wardrobe to actually put stuff in anyway, so I'd much rather they had skipped the effort and left us a corner to put it in. Or actually taken the extra effort to build a real closet.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ashcans posted:

I hate people building to fulfill codes. One of the rules here is apparently that you can't classify something as a bedroom if it doesn't have a closet, so to do this someone basically put a doorframe across one room's corner to create a tiny triangular closet. It's so small its practically useless and just serves to make the room a slightly awkward shape to fit stuff in. We had to buy a wardrobe to actually put stuff in anyway, so I'd much rather they had skipped the effort and left us a corner to put it in. Or actually taken the extra effort to build a real closet.

Our local code is horrifying in regards to crawlspaces, as i've recently discovered. We have a "crawlspace" that is a 25x25 room with a 14' ceiling. It's classified as crawlspace due to the dirt floor. We decided to finish it out. Why not? So we do reading on code. The whole thing is currently filled with mold because its an open crawlspace. It has two airvents and that was all that was required. There's a poo poo ton of fiberglass insulation that is filled to the brim with mold and petrified ratshit. Every time I go down there, I cant be there for more than 30 minutes before my allergies go crazy. So yay, respirator time.

Anyway, read read read, this was to code and still is. We find out that the best thing to do is get a poo poo ton of pink hard foam to glue to concrete and a poo poo ton of 6mil plastic sheeting and seal this fucker up with some tyvek tape. 2 weeks later of nights and weekends and the whole thing no longer smells like mold, is no longer damp at all.

Anyway. gently caress lax code. I found out that my sister in law is building her new house to the same basic code ours was for our crawl space and I was like... well good luck with mold problems!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Ashcans posted:

I hate people building to fulfill codes. One of the rules here is apparently that you can't classify something as a bedroom if it doesn't have a closet

I don't care enough to go look up the code but holy poo poo you might have solved the mystery of why one bedroom in my 2br duplex has a 'closet' that's not even deep enough for a coat hanger to hang straight.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A friend if mine has a kitchen pantry three inches deep. It has one of those awful track folding doors.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

A friend if mine has a kitchen pantry three inches deep. It has one of those awful track folding doors.
That sure is a crappy construction tale. Next time you disagree with someone's color or design choices, feel free to rush in here and post about it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Splizwarf posted:

In the US in older houses you find timer fans sometimes. Usually controlled with a dial on the wall that works exactly like an analog kitchen timer.

Older motels had a heat lamp in the bathroom controlled by one of those timers (Holiday Inns in the 60s and 70s definitely did).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nitrox posted:

That sure is a crappy construction tale. Next time you disagree with someone's color or design choices, feel free to rush in here and post about it.

Dude what? He's just adding to the "idiot closets" discussion. A 3-inch deep pantry is stupid.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
I don't see the problem with a 3" deep closet. Beer cans are less than 3" in diameter, so the closet is perfectly functional.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Older motels had a heat lamp in the bathroom controlled by one of those timers (Holiday Inns in the 60s and 70s definitely did).

Some of them definitely had the lamps up through the 80s and 90s because I remember playing with them as a kid, and pretending I was inside a space station (all the red light) or something.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The only actual kitchen pantry I've seen was my grandma's, which was also super shallow. Pantries are mostly for canned goods and dry goods like spices and stuff, which would all be shallow. For sugar and flour, there are tall narrow tupperwares that keep them airtight and safer than leaving them in bags. What else do you put in there?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

The only actual kitchen pantry I've seen was my grandma's, which was also super shallow. Pantries are mostly for canned goods and dry goods like spices and stuff, which would all be shallow. For sugar and flour, there are tall narrow tupperwares that keep them airtight and safer than leaving them in bags. What else do you put in there?

My parents' pantry had a revolving tower of shelves thing in it and they stored all kinds of stuff in there -- oil, vinegar, spices, potatoes, canned goods, etc. Basically any reasonably shelf-stable foodstuffs, which can be a lot of stuff.

But really, it's storage space. It will be filled by something.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't know if this is a regional difference in language or something, but a pantry is supposed to be a separate room you use for food/kitchen storage. In traditional Boston houses they adjoin the kitchen are somewhere around 4x6 or bigger depending on the layout, and usually have built-in shelving, cupboards, or drawers. When the spaces are renovated they are often used to either expand the kitchen area or to put a washer/dryer in the unit itself because most of the houses are 80-100 years old and weren't built with those in mind, although a lot of people actually want them kept as-is now.

If you can't walk into it, I would just call it a kitchen closet, not a pantry at all. That makes the idea of a 3" one totally insane - my first reaction to that is that (depending on when it was built) it could actually be a built-in ironing closet, which were designed to only be deep enough to hold an upright ironing board.

As for what you put in there: basically everything? It's not about whether you can technically fit a box of pasta or a jar of beans into a shallow cupboard, it's that if you are storing a lot of stuff in bulk you need a good deal of space. We buy things like flour and sugar in 25lb bags and boxes and cans by the dozen, and it's also where we keep things like onions, potatoes, apples, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why does a house that big need two stairs?! No back door, or is there a basement back door or something?

Bit of an "ignorant construction tale" today. Did a fire safety walk through on a condo. It's been code for quite a while that you can't have any sort of storage under stairs, even if your stairs are sprinklered. Stairs need to be super duper safe zones, so storing anything within the well where smoke could fill up the stairwell is a big no-no. Everyone does it though, just jams some crap in the useless space under the stair on the bottom floor, but it's ok because there's a sprinkler head.

Well this condo is wood, the stairwell is wood. No sprinklers, no detection devices in the stairwell. In the little triangle space under their bottom floor stair they actually built a plywood enclosure as a storage room, didn't put a head detector, and use it to store paint, cleaning supplies, and stacks and stacks of the condo's paperwork.

I don't actually have any legal powers so I just told them this setup was not a great idea.

Also their water and sprinkler valves were inside the back of a storage locker filled with junk.

Their electrical room had huge fabric chair being stored in it, right up against all the breaker panels (STABLOCK) and electrical equipment. In my experience fire departments have no tolerance to ANY sort of storage in electrical rooms but the condo people told me at their last inspection the fire department guy came in and sat in the chair and said it was so nice they had a comfy chair for him to sit in while he inspects the room and didn't tell them to move it...

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 18, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Surely you wouldn't want your servants using the same staircase as you, gross

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That particular floorplan is for the second floor of a Boston triple-decker, which are one of the most common housing types here. So it's three units, one to each floor, and there is a front and back staircase connecting all the floors - I think that's a fire safety thing, so that when the first floor sets fire to their stairs everyone upstairs doesn't just get trapped and die up there. The back stairs (coming off the kitchen) would lead down to a back door for the building, there's usually a communal foyer at the bottom of the front stairs.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Anne Whateley posted:

Surely you wouldn't want your servants using the same staircase as you, gross

House I lived in growing up had all the back rooms (behind the staircase) about 18 inches lower than the front rooms, down a couple of stairs. Need to make sure the help remember their place.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ashcans posted:

I guess they don't like wardrobes or armoires?

edit:....like the one you had to buy? :ughh:

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 19, 2015

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

PainterofCrap posted:

Was this in Philadelphia, by any chance?

Nah, Alexandria VA.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Dude what? He's just adding to the "idiot closets" discussion. A 3-inch deep pantry is stupid.
I've built a pantry cabinet inside a 4" wall at my friend's house, because they have limited cabinet space and an empty wall in the kitchen. She was able to fit a cabinet-worth of canned goods and bottles in there. It's recessed completely inside the wall, just like a medicine cabinet. Not a hindrance to the rest of kitchen at all.

Ashcans posted:

I don't know if this is a regional difference in language or something, but a pantry is supposed to be a separate room you use for food/kitchen storage.
The term is Pantry Cabinet, but most people just shorten it, because the actual pantry room is pretty rare outside of homes that came with slave quarters.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Deedle posted:

I don't see the problem with a 3" deep closet. Beer cans are less than 3" in diameter, so the closet is perfectly functional.

Think about how those folding doors work. The ends move through some of that space as it opens/closes. It won't close if you put anything thicker than a beer bottle in there. Unless you push real hard; then it won't open.

I probably should have said that originally. v:shepface:v

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nitrox posted:

I've built a pantry cabinet inside a 4" wall at my friend's house, because they have limited cabinet space and an empty wall in the kitchen. She was able to fit a cabinet-worth of canned goods and bottles in there. It's recessed completely inside the wall, just like a medicine cabinet. Not a hindrance to the rest of kitchen at all.

It's you, you're the crappy constructor

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Deedle posted:

Check out this useless shelf in my fridge.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Bitch please, that could fit at least half a dozen capri suns.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

frodnonnag posted:

Bitch please, that could fit at least half a dozen capri suns.

Fill it with expanding foam.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
That's the "unused ketchup/soy sauce packets and 90% empty BBQ sauce bottle" shelf.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

~Coxy posted:

Dedicated butter shelf

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Any self-respecting goon consumes that much butter on a daily basis.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nitrox posted:

The term is Pantry Cabinet, but most people just shorten it, because the actual pantry room is pretty rare outside of homes that came with slave quarters.

The house I grew up in, built by my dad, had a pretty clever pantry solution. We had an attached garage, so he just butted out a small room around the garage stairs access. It was kinda like an airlock to the garage. Stayed pretty cool, so perfect for canned good and kitchen equipment storage. Also, the way to the garage had to be kept clear, so we were forced to be neat.

Now I live in a house with a long narrow pantry you can only just scootch through sideways. It's super claustrophobic to go to the back. You go for last year's canned jams and find yourself telling everyone "I'f i'm not back in five minutes...."

I miss old garage stairs pantry.

nota
Dec 9, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

The house I grew up in, built by my dad, had a pretty clever pantry solution. We had an attached garage, so he just butted out a small room around the garage stairs access. It was kinda like an airlock to the garage. Stayed pretty cool, so perfect for canned good and kitchen equipment storage. Also, the way to the garage had to be kept clear, so we were forced to be neat.

Now I live in a house with a long narrow pantry you can only just scootch through sideways. It's super claustrophobic to go to the back. You go for last year's canned jams and find yourself telling everyone "I'f i'm not back in five minutes...."

My parents did something like that too. Basically they joined the house and the garage, which gave enough space to add four rooms upstairs, but also made a huge drop between the house and the garage, as well as a garage big enough for four cars, which was way too much. A quarter of that space was left on earth and used for a wine cellar/pantry, and another quarter was left a foot lower than the house and two higher than the garage. It's used as a boiler, laundry and freezer room, and its still pretty roomy.
Now I feel like I have no storage space in my apartment.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Suspect Bucket posted:

.... You go for last year's canned jams and find yourself telling everyone "I'f i'm not back in five minutes...."

:lol: This had me imagining an alternate universe Junji Ito comic. THIS CAN OF JAM WAS MADE FOR ME. (drrrrrrrr drrr drrrrr)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Baronjutter posted:

Their electrical room had huge fabric chair being stored in it, right up against all the breaker panels (STABLOCK) and electrical equipment. In my experience fire departments have no tolerance to ANY sort of storage in electrical rooms but the condo people told me at their last inspection the fire department guy came in and sat in the chair and said it was so nice they had a comfy chair for him to sit in while he inspects the room and didn't tell them to move it...

Oh yeah, the Blowjob Chair, best seat in the house when you gotta "inspect" a rim room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
One of the things I loved about my house when I bought it was the walk-in pantry. Then we realized that it made the ceiling over the stairs too low to get a mattress under so the floor got raised and now I have built-in shelving as deep as the width of my stairwell.