Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I was honestly expecting the AI to say "GrimCreep'd Again"

What has this thread done to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

nice

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

gently caress I could have easily done that gently caress

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

The first good thing thats come from starbound in a long time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

AnonSpore posted:

yeah i also expected one of the good posters to recycle a trash phrase

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Man Whore posted:

Can I still get the horse AI? More importantly is there a mod to give it back its knockers.

what

this was in the game? not some lovely mod or something? What the gently caress

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

oddium posted:

yeah i also expected one of the good posters to recycle a trash phrase

I believe he said 'GrimCreep'd Again' not literally any and all of your posts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

BillmasterCozb posted:

what

this was in the game? not some lovely mod or something? What the gently caress

it was an ai of a medieval lady w/ a horse head and was a joke about how medieval robots don't understand things. naturally, being a joke, the people on the official forums poo poo a brick about how this wasn't SERIOUS enough for their SERIOUS space block game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rrussom posted:

I believe he said 'GrimCreep'd Again' not literally any and all of your posts.

some of us are actually here for starbound. does that offend you ??

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

oddium posted:

some of us are actually here for starbound. does that offend you ??

Quite a bit.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it was an ai of a medieval lady w/ a horse head and was a joke about how medieval robots don't understand things. naturally, being a joke, the people on the official forums poo poo a brick about how this wasn't SERIOUS enough for their SERIOUS space block game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Ah, the good old times, when we were all bright eyed and optimistic about terraria, and my shitposts actually had some effort in them.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Hmm, the AI not saying bad game ruins my immersion tbh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahundredbux posted:

Hmm, the AI not saying bad game ruins my immersion tbh

Yeah, the gif is 90% perfect :(

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Here's what Chucklefish did in 2015, guys!

That list is just baffling to me. Earlier this week I put together a list of our dev team's accomplishments for the year along the same lines as this update. But, wow, if "we put out a few updates and went to some cons!" was all I had to report on, I would be really embarrassed for my team's velocity. Chucklefish, please hire a project manager for your bad game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

"In August, we announced that Starbound would be coming to Xbox One Game Preview and released a massive colony update!"

why should they have to suffer? They've already bought the wrong gaming platform, this is just an insult

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BillmasterCozb posted:

"In August, we announced that Starbound would be coming to Xbox One Game Preview and released a massive colony update!"

why should they have to suffer? They've already bought the wrong gaming platform, this is just an insult

:drat:

I like my Xbox One and this still made me laugh. :)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Check out what I finished

loosely based off of the Rome: Total War advisor

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I like it but I do not like the Rome total war advisor so 2/5 stars.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's fair

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I honestly thought it was supposed to be based off of Dionysis for a second there. but yeah, these guys are supposed to be roman and not greeks

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Cool things like this are why I keep having that chunk of optimism for the main game getting sorted some theoretical time.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Section Z posted:

Cool things like this are why I keep having that chunk of optimism for the main game getting sorted some theoretical time.

these things also have no connection to whether this game is good or bad

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

There is nothing inherently wrong or bad about Starbound. The systems in place are functional, the game looks nice, and all the systems that everyone hates are very modular and open to being changed.

The problem is the people directing it.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
I remember back when starbound first hit steam, and a friend talked me into part of a 4-pack.

Same friend had also talked me into buying cube world.

I don't talk to him anymore.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

thejacob posted:

I remember back when starbound first hit steam, and a friend talked me into part of a 4-pack.

Same friend had also talked me into buying cube world.

I don't talk to him anymore.

Cube world is actually seeing positive development

d e v i
Apr 29, 2014

Rrussom posted:

Cube world is actually seeing positive development

Yeah, in a weird turn of events Wollay started working on the game again out of nowhere and has been posting progress of different features he's been working on nearly every day on Twitter. Still no word on an update timeframe but it's nice to see.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rrussom posted:

I honestly thought it was supposed to be based off of Dionysis for a second there. but yeah, these guys are supposed to be roman and not greeks

there's gonna be a little bit of greek and hellenic influence but yeah mostly romans

d e v i
Apr 29, 2014
Starbound related, on the stable release I swear every time I go underground on the extreme difficulty lava/magma planets I see the same 3 mini-biomes repeated over and over. I don't even know if they're actually biomes, there's one with the little lava crabs in a covered room over lava, one with old tombs and one with bandits that I see every 2 feet, sometimes even directly next to each other and absolutely nothing else. Makes the late game real boring.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Babe Magnet posted:

:perfect:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cicadas! posted:

There is nothing inherently wrong or bad about Starbound. The systems in place are functional, the game looks nice, and all the systems that everyone hates are very modular and open to being changed.

The problem is the people directing it.

yeah, seriously. once the devs fart out what they consider to be a '1.0' product i feel like it can be radically changed by those with the ability to be something actually pretty good.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah, seriously. once the devs fart out what they consider to be a '1.0' product i feel like it can be radically changed by those with the ability to be something actually pretty good.

As things go Starbound is pretty open to modifications, its just a huge pain to do so because the game itself uses a combination of Lua (which is a pain to work with) and JSON (nice for the ability to change entries without overwriting the whole thing but the syntax is a *huge* pain) and the output log is borderline useless for debugging.

Take the touch damage for example, you can totally set the random monsters to do no damage on touch, add the old melee attack back in and change the monster AI to utilize it instead of humping your leg. The only problem is to do the latter two you need to mess with Lua scripts and if you gently caress up the output log will just give you some generic "Could not load [file]" message with no explanation. It doesn't tell you anything about why it threw an error, could be you mistyped a file name or maybe a float turned into a bool for no good reason and the only way to find out is to go over each of your 200 lines of code and comb them for errors.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Call me crazy but don't people generally mod something that is good and they like?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
you could have a gigantic pack of mods to make the game not a pile of poo poo but who the hell is going to make them and why would they bother

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I'll make them

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ahundredbux posted:

Call me crazy but don't people generally mod something that is good and they like?

See that post up there about how, at its core, Starbound is good. There's just a whole bunch of bullshit on top of it that's in the way.

Mods don't just clean up the bullshit, but also add extra, better stuff, too.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

See that post up there about how, at its core, Starbound is good. There's just a whole bunch of bullshit on top of it that's in the way.

Mods don't just clean up the bullshit, but also add extra, better stuff, too.

So what you're saying is, someone should take everything thats poo poo with SB and replace whats missing?

because if so then the game is no longer starbound other than the engine, possibly not even that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

There was that insane overhaul mod that fixed Starbound. That should really just be the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people mod the gently caress out of minecraft to the point where it's unrecognizable and the base game of minecraft is trash.

i don't see why starbound is any different. people obsess over block games.

• Locked thread