Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
How good is Microcenter at price matching? I know they have a thing about always matching CPU prices but what about other stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't think they price match.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
They don't, at least not in my experience. I always just buy cheaper poo poo online, but their CPU+Mobo combos are usually less expensive than other stores.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nodoze posted:

How good is Microcenter at price matching? I know they have a thing about always matching CPU prices but what about other stuff?

Last time I tried it was on something amazon was beating them by something like 10% on and the manager basically said "lol no way in hell."

I also recall when they had an official price match policy in the mid-late 2000s they did a bunch of shady poo poo, like charging you the equivalent of the fastest shipping method available from the seller they were matching because you were getting it the same day. Also also there was a point where they wouldn't honor their own online price if you were buying something in store, and you either had to pay the not-unsubstantial premium, or else go out to your car and do an online order with local pickup and wait 20 minutes.

Basically they're a giant pain in the rear end if you aren't OK with the in-store price.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The real kicker here is that my GF knows how upset I am and won't even sit thru the new Star Wars movie with me tonight even tho I already bought tickets. And I heard all 3 of my roommates making fub of me for failibg the test last night while I was laying in bed. I have never felt this alone before and no one besides my family even gives a poo poo.

Also, having met the majority of NEAI members, I can say that they are all genuinely awesome guys. Ace and Kastein put an entire suspension in ny car the first time I ever met them for Christ's sake. Good people.

Sorry to hear that, man. I hope you're able to get your life on the right path after this little bump in the road, but one thing that always makes me feel better is smoking a blunt and watching Star Wars, so you might want to do that.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXifjbxZDAM

Harmy talks about how he made the despecialized versions and why he did it. It's amazon how he did it even if you don't agree with them. There have been a lot of errors in the previous releases.

I was doing some googling earlier and ran across that, still working through it, but on kid duty at the moment.

So happy you guys hinted at it. :glomp:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Double posting because holy poo poo.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The real kicker here is that my GF knows how upset I am and won't even sit thru the new Star Wars movie with me tonight even tho I already bought tickets. And I heard all 3 of my roommates making fub of me for failibg the test last night while I was laying in bed. I have never felt this alone before and no one besides my family even gives a poo poo.

Also, having met the majority of NEAI members, I can say that they are all genuinely awesome guys. Ace and Kastein put an entire suspension in ny car the first time I ever met them for Christ's sake. Good people.

I don't want to be a downer, but that says a lot about your friendships right now. I'm not saying dump the gf, but have a talk with her, as for the rest, of they can't respect your decisions, screw them.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I could just totally gently caress them over by not paying rent since I am not on the lease anyways and then they'd have to hire a lawyer or some poo poo to get me to leave. Not going to tho. Just sold enough bullion to cover all my bills for the next month while I job hunt.

Pretty hopeful about the job I applied to today. For one I have a family member that works there. I also have done so much work there for a contractor that I know the entire campus like the back of my hand. I even called the head of the IT department afterwards since I had to report to him every time I worked there so he knows of me. He told me he'd be on the lookout for my application specifically. We'll see what happens.

The one thing my parents did tell me today that made me feel better was my work ethic. Aside from when I got laid off from the union, I've had a job since the day I turned 16. I enjoy busting my rear end all day, it's just hard to find a contractor that either doesn't pay dog-poo poo or doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

Keeping this avatar as well. So every time I post it will remind me how I hosed up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Well I had a lot of thinking to do and I decided that it's time to make some serious life changes. First is moving out of this house ASAP. Living with friends that drink everyday and smoke weed constantly it not going to be a good fit for me. In the words of my dad an hour ago, I am a loser and need to grow the gently caress up. So next month I will either be moving back in with my parents temporarily or start looking for a place with my GF. If I do move back in with my parents they are going to have a strict set of rules for me to follow so I don't gently caress up. No drinking. No going out on the weekends. Giving them control of my finances. Seeing a therapist weekly. Going to the gym every day. Failure to follow these rules and my pops will kick me out on my rear end. For once, I agree with him though.

On the plus side, there is an opening in my field at a college I have done a crap load of work at. I know the head of the IT department there and have family members that work there as well. Just sent in my application.

Time to sell all my coins and bullion.

Thanks for the harsh words guys, it made me mull over a lot of poo poo last night and helped in my decision to shape up and not become a bum.

Is going 100% cold turkey like that really feasible? Good luck though.

I got tickets for the new Star Wars on December 29. I hope I can avoid spoilers until then.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

I got tickets for the new Star Wars on December 29. I hope I can avoid spoilers until then.
That's how I broke up with Mary Jane. Curbing drinking is a little more difficult, but you need to have a clinical problem with alcohol before withdraws endangers your life.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CharlesM posted:

Luke gets shot by Commander Scotty about 10 minutes in when he attacks NCC-1701 with an X-wing

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Luke gets shot by Commander Scotty about 10 minutes in when he attacks NCC-1701 with an X-wing
How big are womp rats, anyway?!?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlesM posted:

FYAD have predictably put a massive spoiler in their title.

I simply avoided Facebook and any forum etc between the time the film premiered and when I'd seen the credits roll.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is anybody familiar with OpenVPN config files?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Quitting weed is not an issue. But combined with that and not being able to drink to the point of being shot faced will be the real problem. Like last night I had 4 beers and 2 Fireball nips over the course of 6 hours just because being bored makes me antsy as hell. This should work out easier once I start hitting up the gym every night with my momma dukes .

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
God damnit I can see that the 2015 Resolutions thread got bumped by IOC but I can't read the thread at all. I'm on the edge of my seat here wondering how many things I failed to do :argh:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

scuz posted:

How big are womp rats, anyway?!?

About two meters across; the same size as a Death Star exhaust port.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Since we've been talking about burgers lately, here's the burger I had for lunch:

The Triple Deck Han Solo Burger / double 8oz burgers, three slices of grilled bread, Russian dressing, fresh tomatoes, lettuce and pickles and double American cheese

My dad saw that this restaurant, Melt Bar and Grilled, was doing a Star Wars special this weekend so we went. I only ate half. I do not feel good about myself right now. Hopefully going back for this next week:

The 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon Melt / hickory smoked bacon, black pepper crusted slab cut bacon, maple bourbon glazed smoked pork belly, Italian pancetta, herb cream cheese with bacon bits, in-house made bacon-infused mayonnaise, sharp cheddar, fresh Romaine and sliced tomato

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Safety Dance posted:

About two meters across; the same size as a Death Star exhaust port.
Rodents of unusual size indeed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

God damnit I can see that the 2015 Resolutions thread got bumped by IOC but I can't read the thread at all. I'm on the edge of my seat here wondering how many things I failed to do :argh:

Gotta wait for an admin to move it back from its resting place, then give it some fresh gas and a jump and see what happens.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

God loving damnit. I was just on the phone with my mom and some car hit her. She is ok but had to hang up. What the gently caress!?!?!?!?!?!?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

God loving damnit. I was just on the phone with my mom and some car hit her. She is ok but had to hang up. What the gently caress!?!?!?!?!?!?

Uh. was she walking around or in a car?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

She was in her car and some gently caress merged into her lame without looking right into her car. She is ok thank gently caress. Not to mention its the anniversary of her mom dying today as well. Great day for my family.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

... Great day for my family.

Pretty good day, considering it could have been a 50 MPH t-bone impact instead of a 3MPH closing speed merge.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

She was in her car and some gently caress merged into her lame without looking right into her car. She is ok thank gently caress. Not to mention its the anniversary of her mom dying today as well. Great day for my family.

It's good she's okay. Bad things happening on the anniversary of something else bad is always an extra slap in the face. Please tell me she was using hands free or something at least though.

Totally unrelated but I got some TDK noise cancelling earbuds from Dick Smith for $17 yesterday. When cancelling is turned on they don't cut the sound totally but maybe 80-90%. The dongle that holds the AAA battery is kind of heavy but it was a really good deal for what they are.
Also they are selling dual USB car adapters there for $35 each :lol: or the exact same adapter with a model specific charging cable for $5. Hard decision there.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That sucks. I gotta ask, though, was she at least using a hands-free device?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shamelessly plugging my band's indie go-go page. If nothing else, watch the idiotic video. I'm the tall one, not the funny one. We'll have more song snippets up once we get them back from mastering, but in the meantime, here are some recordings that we've done in the past (with different bass player and drummist). The perks are pretty cool, and if you give us $150, we'll cover and record any song you want. Any. Song. We're hoping for really weird requests, like this one by the Muslim Justin Bieber.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Dear universe, take a break, tia.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Magnus Praeda posted:

That sucks. I gotta ask, though, was she at least using a hands-free device?

Nah she was just on the phone. But that is not illegal here or anything. Just texting

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Could have been worse, agreed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Man, you guys are full of great decision making. Not illegal != smart.

Also, I just stopped at the grocery store. The dude ringing a bell for the salvation army (gently caress them) was seriously trying to sell his mixtape at the same time.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

iwentdoodie posted:

Man, you guys are full of great decision making. Not illegal != smart.

Also, I just stopped at the grocery store. The dude ringing a bell for the salvation army (gently caress them) was seriously trying to sell his mixtape at the same time.

Not illegal != safe, also. There's a reason touching your phone while driving is illegal in my state.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

kastein posted:

my favorite star wars robot is C3-H8, a torture droid

you might say he's pro pane

Jesus, Ken, I love you.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Nah she was just on the phone. But that is not illegal here or anything. Just texting

Do you think that having close family with a history of bad decision-making has at all influenced you to engage in the same behavior? Or is it some genetically-influenced psychological trait that you evaluate risk differently?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

literally a fish posted:

Not illegal != safe, also. There's a reason touching your phone while driving is illegal in my state.

It's illegal on a city-by-city basis around here, but just like so many other things the cops are just using it as yet another pretense for a stop. I got pulled over a couple months ago by a cop who said he "watched me using my phone from the time he pulled up behind me" when A) I have a head unit with hands-free calling B) my phone lives in my back pocket and I would have to take my seatbelt off to take it out and C) I hadn't made a single call that day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

my favorite star wars robot is C3-H8, a torture droid

you might say he's pro pane
:argh: I googled it and it was halfway loaded before I realized I'm an idiot. rear end

mariooncrack posted:

Since we've been talking about burgers lately, here's the burger I had for lunch:

The Triple Deck Han Solo Burger / double 8oz burgers, three slices of grilled bread, Russian dressing, fresh tomatoes, lettuce and pickles and double American cheese
drat now I really want to go get a nice burger instead of going to a stuck up steakhouse for company holiday dinner.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Gotta wait for an admin to move it back from its resting place, then give it some fresh gas and a jump and see what happens.
Oh gently caress I bet I failed at least half my goals for 2015

Hanging out at the hotel before heading over to the work Christmas dinner. Always fun to see how drunk my coworkers with wives (designated drivers) get at these things. I'm a $15 uber from the place and they have a very good whiskey/bourbon selection:getin:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So everyone knows what a DC10 is right? Big old air liner from the 1970's, designed to haul passengers and junk across the world?

Well, someone worked out you can rip out the seats, pack the thing with tanks and put a massive dump valve on the bottom of it...

And then throw them down a valley, thats on fire, at about 200M above tree level.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48646673@N07/23734282881/in/album-72157661936523200/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48646673@N07/23790601956/in/album-72157661936523200/

They've also got a C130 herc fire bomber, but that was designed from the get go to fart things out of the back and fly low and slow close to the ground, so watching a commercial air liner do it is pretty awesome. Its also pants making GBS threads terrifying to be under them too, because you see the little spotter plane go over your head, go "WTF?" and then a loving AIR LINER belts over your head 200m above you.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Ferremit posted:

So everyone knows what a DC10 is right? Big old air liner from the 1970's, designed to haul passengers and junk across the world?

Well, someone worked out you can rip out the seats, pack the thing with tanks and put a massive dump valve on the bottom of it...

And then throw them down a valley, thats on fire, at about 200M above tree level.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48646673@N07/23734282881/in/album-72157661936523200/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48646673@N07/23790601956/in/album-72157661936523200/

They've also got a C130 herc fire bomber, but that was designed from the get go to fart things out of the back and fly low and slow close to the ground, so watching a commercial air liner do it is pretty awesome. Its also pants making GBS threads terrifying to be under them too, because you see the little spotter plane go over your head, go "WTF?" and then a loving AIR LINER belts over your head 200m above you.

Have you never heard of/seen a fire-retardant bomber before?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Those videos are basically the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzF1KySHmUA

to "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" conspiracy crowd, but about what chem trails would actually look like; you'd probably notice it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Magnus Praeda posted:

Have you never heard of/seen a fire-retardant bomber before?

I think he's more impressed that someone ghetto-rigged a passenger jet liner into fire bombing duty.

Ferremit: That is loving cool as hell.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Phone posted:

Those videos are basically the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzF1KySHmUA

to "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" conspiracy crowd, but about what chem trails would actually look like; you'd probably notice it.

for those of you who don't remember my rant about my dad being a nutbar tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist, the discussion thread on my facebook concerning this thread is a perfect example of his arguments.

• Locked thread