Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yo the bowcaster was fuckin sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Carnaticum posted:

My take on Ren:

Once he comes up against Rey, even though she's untrained, his powers become worthless. He can't read her mind and she even schools him in combat.

I also have a theory about Rey: I think she's Luke's kid.

To your first point - Ren did partially read Rey's mind and saw an "island in an ocean"

Which leads to your second point - Maybe the island was the one Luke is on?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chieves posted:

And welp, my office is taking our team to go see this movie later today. I feel kind of silly seeing it at midnight last night now. :v:

My mate saw it twice in like a day because he went to the midnight screening. Second time he took his 15 year old brother who super liked it.

It's a good kids movie.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Saw the movie last night and my initial thought was the opening crawl was rad as hell in 3D

The movie owned in general, Kylo Ren as a character is fantastic and makes the Anakin character in the seem prequels better by proxy.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I loved Kylo Ren, probably my strongest direct reaction to a Star Wars villain since the Emperor in ROTJ him wanting to be like Darth Vader is really interesting to me because he doesn't realize how much like Anakin Skywalker he is, just not while he was Vader. He lets his emotions get the best of him and feels like it gives him great power, when really it just makes him a sloppier version of the "I slaughtered them like animals" Anakin.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I liked our first moments with Kylo Ren when he stops a blaster bolt with just the loving Force. He was set up to be some kind of super bad rear end but it gets delightfully subverted every time.

I loved everything about Rey and Finn, but I would have hoped that they were both Force-sensitive instead of Rey being the obviously super-special one.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I really. really enjoyed this. To me, it felt like almost any criticism of the prequels was completely eliminated in this film. The main one for me being the fact that I actually cared about every ship battle, character, and scene of people shooting blasters.

The only moment that really took me out of the film was when the heroes got Phasma to lower the planet's shields. My brain wouldn't accept that that plan would have actually worked, and that it would be so easy.

Also, people have been commenting on Rey being completely inexperienced with force powers / Jedi combat. But I am guessing that we will find out that Rey was actually being trained as a Jedi when she was very young (particularly if she's Luke's daughter) and simply forgot all of it when she had to be abandoned.

One last not-really-spoilery thing, I was really bummed about the missing 20th Century Fox fanfare. Launching right into "A long time ago" just felt lacking

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Bucswabe posted:

Also, people have been commenting on Rey being completely inexperienced with force powers / Jedi combat. But I am guessing that we will find out that Rey was actually being trained as a Jedi when she was very young (particularly if she's Luke's daughter) and simply forgot all of it when she had to be abandoned.
When they're in Maz's castle, she has a straight-up 'gently caress THIS!' reaction to the lightsaber that I don't think would happen unless she had some prior Jedi history

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Bucswabe posted:

The idea that Force powers work like leveling up in a video game is not at all how the Force has ever been treated in Star Wars. It is metaphorical.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Force powers always required a level of training, though. Luke had all the confidence in the world going against Vader, and his lack of training just resulted in him easily getting tossed aside. They're basically one part latent talent, one part training, and one part confidence.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

When they're in Maz's castle, she has a straight-up 'gently caress THIS!' reaction to the lightsaber that I don't think would happen unless she had some prior Jedi history
I thought this was an extremely clumsy implementation of the part of the hero’s journey where the hero refuses the call to adventure. It was kind of funny that both heroes did it at the same time for kind of tenuous reasons though

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So, I heard you guys like Star Wars.

https://vimeo.com/149371775

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Darko posted:

Force powers always required a level of training, though. Luke had all the confidence in the world going against Vader, and his lack of training just resulted in him easily getting tossed aside. They're basically one part latent talent, one part training, and one part confidence.

However, the training has always ultimately been revealed as impotent, and explicitly so in the prequels. The Force is a belief, or a community of believers. This film underscores that as well: Overtly showing the neurosis Kylo experiences from his father's abandonment, ineffectually trying to mask it with "sith training" or whatever that ultimately is useless when opposed to Rey's faith.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

PiedPiper posted:

Surprised people liked "I'm being torn apart" line as well as they did. I thought it was pretty cringey. Not quite on the PT's "What have I done?" level of cringe, but close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zFg2qByF4E

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The training isn't exactly impotent in the prequels. Padawans were not nearly as good as knights who weren't as good as masters.The only difference maker were rage boosts. The impotence is in the religious aspects, and idiotic reliance on tradition, and not the skill aspects, where there is variance due to amount of training and work.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bucswabe posted:

I really. really enjoyed this. To me, it felt like almost any criticism of the prequels was completely eliminated in this film. The main one for me being the fact that I actually cared about every ship battle, character, and scene of people shooting blasters.

My feeling after digesting it for a few hours is that the TFA team tried very hard and succeeded at rectifying issues with the prequels, but at the expense of some of the things that the prequels were great at. This film sorely misses George's talent for world-building.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I loved the movie. It was JJ Abrams playing it safe, yes, but I don't really care that much about that. To me it was a retelling of Episode IV for a new generation. I wanted a super fun Star Wars adventure with good characters I cared about, and that's pretty much what I got. Yes, there were some pacing issues and yes, parts of the setting didn't make sense to me, but it wasn't enough to detract from my experience. I'm super psyched for Episode VIII now.

People keep talking about how Rey chumps Kylo Ren in the film, but he was fighting with a hole in his gut. That kind of injury can make it hard for anyone.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Zoran posted:

My feeling after digesting it for a few hours is that the TFA team tried very hard and succeeded at rectifying issues with the prequels, but at the expense of some of the things that the prequels were great at. This film sorely misses George's talent for world-building.

Totally agree. There were a ton of basic questions about the current state of the galaxy that went unanswered. Also, one thing that stuck me right away, is that if you were someone going right from episode 6 to episode 7, the text crawl sounded like it could have happened just a couple years after RotJ.

arisu posted:

People keep talking about how Rey chumps Kylo Ren in the film, but he was fighting with a hole in his gut. That kind of injury can make it hard for anyone.

Not to mention how psychologically messed up he would have been in that moment.

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 18, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

arisu posted:

I loved the movie. It was JJ Abrams playing it safe, yes, but I don't really care that much about that. To me it was a retelling of Episode IV for a new generation. I wanted a super fun Star Wars adventure with good characters I cared about, and that's pretty much what I got. Yes, there were some pacing issues and yes, parts of the setting didn't make sense to me, but it wasn't enough to detract from my experience. I'm super psyched for Episode VIII now.

To me the retread of A New Hope felt like a deliberate attempt to remake the original film in order to reboot the franchise without actually remaking it. Remakes are pretty much the go-to method of reviving franchises, but a film like the original Star Wars is as close to off-limits as a film can get in that regard. So they got the best of both worlds by having new characters have pretty much the same adventure.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Real talk the scene with Poe and the resistance showing up then us getting a shot from Fin's side of the battle looking at Poe wreck like 4 TIEs and 3 clumps of troopers on the ground in one take ending with Fin going "woah that was loving awesome!" was my favorite moment. The main characters Rey, Finn, and Poe are so good at their roles I can't help to see where they go with them. The movie oozed fun and while it was as safe of a start as you could possibly do outside of a shot-by-shot remake of ANH, I left the theater looking forward to the next two films so much.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Re: Kylo Ren. I liked him as an inversion of Darth Vader, who plays like a kid's nightmare, a terrifying father figure that rejects and abandons you only to return when he needs something you can't give him. Ren is a parent's nightmare — an angry, unhappy, uncontrollable shithead who learned all the wrong things despite your best efforts and your willingness to sacrifice everything for them. The frustrating, annoying parts of his character play into that. "I love my kid, I just wish he could get his poo poo together." It's an interesting direction considering they're playing as much to the middle aged as kids now.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Esroc posted:

To me the retread of A New Hope felt like a deliberate attempt to remake the original film in order to reboot the franchise without actually remaking it. Remakes are pretty much the go-to method of reviving franchises, but a film like the original Star Wars is as close to off-limits as a film can get in that regard. So they got the best of both worlds by having new characters have pretty much the same adventure.

I'm not sure it really works as a reboot per say, as it requires explicit knowledge of the originals. If you haven't seen the originals you would be confused right at the opening scrawl.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure it really works as a reboot per say, as it requires explicit knowledge of the originals. If you haven't seen the originals you would be confused right at the opening scrawl.

And TFA makes a mess of establishing its own setting.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Are we all on the same page that that Duracell ad was better than the prequels?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

No.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kylo Ren's rageouts vaguely reminded me of Charles Foster Kane trashing the room. I feel bad for Chewie. Having to watch his best friend killed by his son, practically Chewie's nephew, and then having to shoot him. :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hiddenriverninja posted:

I liked our first moments with Kylo Ren when he stops a blaster bolt with just the loving Force. He was set up to be some kind of super bad rear end but it gets delightfully subverted every time.

That effect was really cool looking btw, with how it vibrated and shifted instead of just being held still.

quote:

Kylo Ren's rageouts vaguely reminded me of Charles Foster Kane trashing the room. I feel bad for Chewie. Having to watch his best friend killed by his son, practically Chewie's nephew, and then having to shoot him.

I also enjoyed how Chewie let out a howl of grief then went 'gently caress this' and triggered the bombs.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 18, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I also enjoyed how Chewie let out a howl of grief then went 'gently caress this' and triggered the bombs.

Don't forget he also wasted like 5 Stormtroopers with his bowcaster first.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RBA Starblade posted:

That effect was really cool looking btw, with how it vibrated and shifted instead of just being held still.

I liked Chewie in this because he actually does stuff and doesn't feel just there like in the old movies.

Some of my friends were mad about Finn's lightsaber skills but I thought him fighting the stormtrooper with the baton was a good explanation that these stormtroopers are now trained in melee combat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The editing was really quick in that scene. We momentarily thought Chewie died in the blast. Were relieved when we saw him later.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Re: World Building

Heres the most important bit that the movie leaves out:

The New Republic and the Empire-turned-First Order exist in a state of technical peace. As long as the First Order hangs out in their territory the New Republic won't go to war with them. But the First Order is doing stuff like terrorizing unaligned planets, building huge armies and super weapons and the like, so Leia and a few others splinter off and form the Resistance. The Resistance is not officially supported by the Republic, but a few lines (such as wishing the fleet would show up against Starkiller Base) imply that the Republic had either implicitly or explicitly promised to support "legitimate" military operations against the First Order.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I really liked this movie!!

I didnt even care about the re-using of story elements from other movies, which was my biggest turn off when hearing about it.

Only thing that bothered me is I personally don't like planet-destroying weapons. That is way too much death for my fun cool star wars movie, especially considering it's like... Never mentioned again? I don't like it!

Also loving WASTED the dudes from the raid. Hope they're being set up for future releases.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 18, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This movie made me laugh, cry, and cheer out loud multiple times. I actually cared about not only the heroes but also the villain. After getting only three hours of sleep and then going to a marathon of all six Star Wars movies and doing literally nothing watching Star Wars all day, I still didn't want Force Awakens to end. I just wanted it to keep going. I think that says a lot.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Re: World Building

Heres the most important bit that the movie leaves out:

The New Republic and the Empire-turned-First Order exist in a state of technical peace. As long as the First Order hangs out in their territory the New Republic won't go to war with them. But the First Order is doing stuff like terrorizing unaligned planets, building huge armies and super weapons and the like, so Leia and a few others splinter off and form the Resistance. The Resistance is not officially supported by the Republic, but a few lines (such as wishing the fleet would show up against Starkiller Base) imply that the Republic had either implicitly or explicitly promised to support "legitimate" military operations against the First Order.

But then why are they still at peace after the First Order blows up the Republic's capital?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
I loved this movie. Daisy Ridley is fantastic and Rey is my favourite character in all of Star Wars.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This movie gets the prequels. The prequels are Kylo Ren's backstory as well as Darth Vader's. ANH (TFA) tells us that Darth Vader (Kylo Ren) was seduced by the Dark Side and helped the Empire (First Order) wipe out the last of the Jedi. The prequels tell us that actually, it's not that simple, and he had a less abstract motive for his infamous crimes. Remember this fact!

ESB challenged ANH: the villain actually used to be the hero. RotJ challenged ESB: the villain can be redeemed. The prequels challenged the originals: it's inevitable that the villain will fall in the same way. TFA begins with the aftermath of RotS (which is why it seems so similar to ANH; it's an alt-sequel with the characters switched around, much like RotJ showed another way the end of ANH could have played out), but it's preparing its successors to challenge the prequels by disassembling and solving the dilemma of Darth Vader's inevitability.

Adam Driver was channeling Hayden Christiansen in a big way. He's a synthesis of Anakin and Vader, driving home that they were the same character and the man beneath the mask was the truer performance than James Earl Jones'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many Ewoks do you think Kylo Ren killed to get Darth Vader's helmet?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Calico Heart posted:

Also loving WASTED the dudes from the raid. Hope they're being set up for future releases.

I came here to post this. I was hoping they would be some of the Knights of Ren or something so that they can be silent badass enforcer types or something, but nope, just...sorta there. I hope Donnie Yen doesn't get similarly wasted in Rogue One.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

vegetables posted:

But then why are they still at peace after the First Order blows up the Republic's capital?

Because the attack on Starkiller Base happens in the handful of hours/days after the destruction of the capital. Also, the New Republic doesn't have a huge standing army and what little fighting force they did have went up with the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Did anyone else think the random baton storm trooper owned?

• Locked thread