Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

there is no such thing as a good video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Wild EEPROM posted:

there is no such thing as a good podcast about video games.

giant bombcast and beastcast

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Dodoman posted:

giant bombcast and beastcast

if you want to laugh listen to one of the million comedy podcasts, why would you want to listen to a bunch of dudes talk about video games you probably haven't even played?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
because i have played the games they talk about

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
bonfireside chat

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
actually idle thumbs is a good podcast

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

actually idle thumbs is a good podcast

yes but it's about video games only in the loosest sense

it's kind of amazing that Apple made the podcasts app so much worse in ios9

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dodoman posted:

because i have played the games they talk about

how does that make it more interesting

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

DuckConference posted:

yes but it's about video games only in the loosest sense

it's kind of amazing that Apple made the podcasts app so much worse in ios9

who listens to podcasts in 2015. we have video services now idiot.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stux posted:

i can't very well watch videos in the car

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Stux posted:

i listen to podcasts in the gym. while i'm pumping huge iron and flexing in the mirror. the shriveled weak manlets think i must be listening to EDM to be that hype. but no, its two fat nerds talking about Star Wars Battlefront

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gruber's voice is all bass while syracusa is all treble. listening to them have a conversation is painful

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

how does that make it more interesting

Because they are funny. Sometimes they even talk about stuff unrelated to video games :wow:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Everyone should listen to the latest ATP, noted whiny bitch Marco is going full "Get off my lawn!" re: modern technology.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mulva posted:

Everyone should listen to the latest ATP, noted whiny bitch Marco is going full "Get off my lawn!" re: modern technology.
is he still butthurt about his friends who rely on web ads to pay their bills not loving his ad blocker?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

FMguru posted:

is he still butthurt about his friends who rely on web ads to pay their bills not loving his ad blocker?

now he's upset that computing isn't staying exactly the way he's used to

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this apple pay business is hosed. like accepting apple pay doesn't mean you can't have a competing pay-by-smartphone tech at the same time. it doesn't cost them anything to take  Pay vs. a credit card.

and canada still just has american express supporting apple pay? god drat.

The Management posted:

gruber's voice is all bass while syracusa is all treble. listening to them have a conversation is painful

much like shmorky and lowtax

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

yard salad posted:

i listen to podcasts in the gym. while i'm pumping huge iron and flexing in the mirror. the shriveled weak manlets think i must be listening to EDM to be that hype. but no, its two fat nerds talking about Star Wars Battlefront

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

this apple pay business is hosed. like accepting apple pay doesn't mean you can't have a competing pay-by-smartphone tech at the same time. it doesn't cost them anything to take  Pay vs. a credit card.

and canada still just has american express supporting apple pay? god drat.

they see apple pay as an inflection point just before the majority of people convert to paying for things via phone and want to lock people into their system. but when their system is years late and less convenient the only thing they can do to make it attractive is make it the only choice

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
hi, im marco arment. i got lucky and picked the one startup out of thousands that was extremely successful. i am the tech equivalent of the racist midwest mom who wins the powerball. you should listen to me and care about my opinions.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Agutter posted:

they see apple pay as an inflection point just before the majority of people convert to paying for things via phone and want to lock people into their system. but when their system is years late and less convenient the only thing they can do to make it attractive is make it the only choice

No one wants to lose that sweet customer data that is keeping them afloat, since apparently selling things for money is no longer a viable business strategy.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Apple Inc Chief Executive Tim Cook dismissed as "total political crap" the notion that the tech giant was avoiding taxes.

Cook's remarks, made on CBS's 60 Minutes show, come amid a debate in the United States over corporations avoiding taxes through techniques such as so-called inversion deals, where a company redomiciles its tax base to another country.

"Apple pays every tax dollar we owe," Cook told 60 Minutes' Charlie Rose in an interview.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mulva posted:

No one wants to lose that sweet customer data that is keeping them afloat, since apparently selling things for money is no longer a viable business strategy.

the apple pay thing is about tangible millions and millions of dollars in credit card fees. stores have plenty of other ways to track your buying habits

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

apple pay is a straight up elegant implementation of existing credit card contactless standards

its elegant because unlike using a physical contactless card, you have to "unlock" the ability to have the chip read with a passcode or touchid

and there's a link to your bank so the virtual card number can just be changed dynamically instead of dealing with the lead time of shipping a physical card to you

its really good

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Agutter posted:

the apple pay thing is about tangible millions and millions of dollars in credit card fees. stores have plenty of other ways to track your buying habits

Yes a lot of stores have their own loyalty programs, but a majority won't sign up for them and stores track most shoppers based on the swipe data.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i can't very well watch videos in the car

yard salad posted:

listen to music instead idiots

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the largest problem with apple pay right now is this:

every time you walk up to the entry of any business it is almost certain that you will see network stickers. this is an example off a google search of what you don't see. apple should be sending out stickers like hotcakes to every single place so that you don't have to play the guessing game of whether or not they take it. sometimes it's on the terminal screen itself but it's usually not. i as a consumer should not have to ask.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ahahahahaah

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

the largest problem with apple pay right now is this:

every time you walk up to the entry of any business it is almost certain that you will see network stickers. this is an example off a google search of what you don't see. apple should be sending out stickers like hotcakes to every single place so that you don't have to play the guessing game of whether or not they take it. sometimes it's on the terminal screen itself but it's usually not. i as a consumer should not have to ask.

except it should just be the universal contactless logo, not apple pay specific, because thats all apple pay is

apple pay isn't a service or a network

anywhere you see that outside the US, apple pay works 99% of the time

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Mad Wack posted:

hi, im marco arment. i got lucky and picked the one startup out of thousands that was extremely successful. i am the tech equivalent of the racist midwest mom who wins the powerball. you should listen to me and care about my opinions.

I'm pretty sure Marco Arment has an account to forums.somethingawful.com.

I listened to part of ATP on the drive in today. Marco had to cut some Siracusa fact bashing while keeping his lovely screed about the state of computing. total beta.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

mishaq posted:

except it should just be the universal contactless logo, not apple pay specific, because thats all apple pay is

apple pay isn't a service or a network

anywhere you see that outside the US, apple pay works 99% of the time

yeah i was gonna say here in the uk nearly everywhere takes contactless and also apple pay because of that. they do oftne have an apple pay logo now though, usually instead of the contactless one lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

I listened to part of ATP on the drive in today. Marco had to cut some Siracusa fact bashing while keeping his lovely screed about the state of computing. total beta.

yea it was actually kind of weird how he made that cut cause casey even mentions how siracusa will own him once he's done talking and then it goes straight to the ad read without anyone saying anything or revisiting the topic

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

video of timb getting heated

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/18/tim-cook-apple-tax-total-political-crap/

cant wait to watch this

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so apple has to pay taxes in whatever country they do business, then puts that money in an offshore where they pay like 25% on it or something

whereas if they bring it to america, they pay another 40% tax on it.

does tim cook have a point that this is unreasonable? should the US just make a new tax code that lets companies pay 25% (or whatever) on money brought over from overseas?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the simple fact is that apple pays taxes wherever its generated but wont bring back money generated overseas because doing so would be dumb as heck. they aren't avoiding taxes in america by moving them to ireland or w/e idiots think

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

tim cook said he wants to bring the money back here and pay tax on it, but 40% is too high

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yes when comprehensive tax reform or a smaller repatriation holiday gets done without a punitive tax rate he'll bring the cash back

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

what was edited out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's apple's and any other company's option on whether or not to bring their foreign earnings (after local taxes) into the US. when they do this they need to pay huge taxes on it, which is why nobody does it.

instead of penalizing American companies for extracting money from dumb foreigners, they should be encouraged to fleece and gouge idiot non-Americans as best they can and suck their money into the United States.

• Locked thread