Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GoatShaver posted:

Ha, going through this right now as well.

We tested the device with a presentation twice and everything was great, using these VIA Kramer units.

Come meeting time, it doesn't work, which triggers emails to me, my boss, my bosses boss, the CEO all blaming IT (not the AV department and the subcontractor that just installed all of this) for this products lack of functionality.

I don't do anything!

I was once cornered by a VP of New Business Development at an ad agency after a presentation had bombed. He'd brought his boss and some other bigwigs along too. So there I am in a conference room with some pissed off executives looking to do a postmortem on a failed multimillion dollar pitch. There was the usual spiel about the projector the took with them not working, our stuff sucks, and it cost us $X million dollars.

I looked him square in the eyes and asked him "Did it work in rehearsal ?" Then there was this overwhelming whooshing noise as all the air metaphorically left the room. I could almost hear angry eyeballs click over to a new target.

Oddly enough, I was never blamed for a drat thing related to presentations in the couple of (miserable) years I stayed at that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Clark, did you Computerize that bell yet or what?!?!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Do the needful and whiz-bang up that bell

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Computerize? I thought you said compartmentalize! poo poo, my bad <delete>

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
put a blue led on the bell and call it a day

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I spoke too soon guys. I turned down the job.

when the school called and offered me the job there :yotj:

:YotL:

WTB animated gif designer to turn your icon into a smiley with the :toot: hat and tooting thingy

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got Win 10 put on my work machine as one the first testers. On my first login a prompt comes up, "What would you like to use to open whatever.vbs, Windows Script Host or Notepad?" I choose Notepad and find a VBS script set to send an email with the name of the PC to one of our security guys whenever someone logged on with the local admin account. The security guy the email was addressed to left about five or six years ago, and it was trying to send via an SMTP server that's been decommisioned about that long too. Who knows what long-abandoned login script or group policy is calling this thing up, but luckily it's not my job to find out.

And just to be clear it was trying to send the email to his decomissioned address at our place, not the one he left us for. Otherwise it would have been :frogsiren: time.

nexus6 posted:

Yay, finally a post!

An email came in: "I tried adding a news article to our website but some of the text is missing! This needs to be fixed ASAP!"

Replied: User has entered black text onto a site with a black background.
Whenever we refresh PCs in an area that uses terminal emulation software we got a flood of calls over the next week or two when people change the background color on the mainframe screen to blue or whatever, without thinking to change the color of the blue text first. Luckily it's an easy fix, but it happens every time.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

$10k more a year, state benefits, deploying cutting edge tech rather than babysitting ancient tech, and I'm a teacher deep down. Just a lot of reasons.

What up brother School-IT-person (although it's been almost 6 years since I left school IT).

:geno::hf::geno:

neogeo0823 posted:

Tim got back nearly an hour after lunch arrived and hasn't spoken to me since he got back. I really hope he learned a lesson about panicking, but I really really doubt he did.
If he doesn't learn he'll just get to go on another drive. And another. And another..

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
An email copied to high-level management came in:

quote:

My subordinate has completed all her required online training but is still receiving email notices about being overdue. This seems to be a common occurrence with your training system. When will this be fixed?
My reply: The system is working; she never actually completed her training. Here's a screenshot of the fifteen separate emails she's received since July informing her about upcoming and (now) past-due deadlines. And hey, here's a screenshot of the fifteen emails you received as her manager, also since July. Additionally, here's a copy of the email I personally sent you in November with a spreadsheet listing your overdue people and what they needed to get current. The system is correctly showing incomplete training as incomplete. Have a great day.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 18, 2015

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

A ticket came in: Keyboard and Mouse
- Need wireless keyboard and mouse for MacBook.

I work in DevOps? The sad part is someone probably told him to open this ticket against the DEVOPS project in Jira. I responded to the ticket that we haven't written the keyboard / mouse auto-provisioner service and to open a ticket with the IT Service Desk.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Virigoth posted:

A ticket came in: Keyboard and Mouse
- Need wireless keyboard and mouse for MacBook.

I work in DevOps? The sad part is someone probably told him to open this ticket against the DEVOPS project in Jira. I responded to the ticket that we haven't written the keyboard / mouse auto-provisioner service and to open a ticket with the IT Service Desk.

Brilliant! :getin:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GoatShaver posted:

Ha, going through this right now as well.

We tested the device with a presentation twice and everything was great, using these VIA Kramer units.

Come meeting time, it doesn't work, which triggers emails to me, my boss, my bosses boss, the CEO all blaming IT (not the AV department and the subcontractor that just installed all of this) for this products lack of functionality.

I don't do anything!

Yeah. And I don' t know poo poo about AV systems(or care.) So the extra fun is dealing with a system I have no expertise in and being expected to support it.

I am not going to get shitcanned over this dumb crap. If it starts to stink like that, I'd rather jump ship that get a black mark on my work history due to something so completely asinine.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

MrMojok posted:

Clark, did you Computerize that bell yet or what?!?!

No way I'm touching that thing. I kicked it up to my boss, he can :dealwithit:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

All this computerized bell talk and I've been walking around singing "You can ping my beeeeeeeell, ping my bell!"

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Would you really dare promise a customer that you'll have an update out before the weekend when its black friday (the proper one complete with grannies scrapping in the street at lunchtime) and dare to tell the ops team at 5:25 esp when they've been in the pub since noon that it needs to go out now.

gently caress sales guys forever

on a side note in jira service desk is there a way to limit the due date field to now +7day for certain groups of users?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mr. Clark2 posted:

The school bell in my High School had mechanical relays and honest to god vacuum tubes. The entire tube system was abandoned in place with a huge rat's nest of 70s brown wiring leading to a super oldschool programmable logic board, with wires leading every which way. I think it tied into the fire alarm system via single "ring bell" wire and the fire panel did all the heavy lifting. It worked, and that's about all it did. Also, they can't disable the bells on weekends or holidays, so you'd hear the 8 AM bell every day.

What was so cool about it is it was all behind a big glass panel right inside the main office door, so you'd see it do it's thing every time the bells needed to ring.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 19, 2015

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"what do you mean I can't save edits to the document back to the disk?"

Disk meaning a CD.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

:YotL:

WTB animated gif designer to turn your icon into a smiley with the :toot: hat and tooting thingy

Larch, what is your avatar from, anyway?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

stubblyhead posted:

Larch, what is your avatar from, anyway?
Metal...Gear...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anthonypants posted:

Metal...Gear...

Larch? Larch?! LAAAAARCH!!!!

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

larchesdanrew posted:

I spoke too soon guys. I turned down the job.

when the school called and offered me the job there :yotj:

The Larch is on the roller coaster.
I'm watchin' him and having a hell of a time.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Dear internal recruiter,

Scheduling an in-house interview loop for a candidate with me by sending me a meeting invite for 10am on Monday at 6:30 on a Friday evening makes it difficult for me to send a reject notification with 24 hour prior notice.

Good luck finding someone Monday morning since I'm not going to be in the office, I guess.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Dear internal recruiter,

Scheduling an in-house interview loop for a candidate with me by sending me a meeting invite for 10am on Monday at 6:30 on a Friday evening makes it difficult for me to send a reject notification with 24 hour prior notice.

Good luck finding someone Monday morning since I'm not going to be in the office, I guess.

Bad internal recruiters are so terrible but good ones are worth their weight in competent coworkers. The guy we have now is incredibly good and, while he isn't super tech savvy, understands important things previous internal recruiters didn't, like "informing the office IT folks when you extend an offer to a candidate lets them purchase hardware in time for their start date" and "when my calendar says 'out of office' when you create a phone screen or interview invite, you need to find another person to do that phone screen or interview".

I'm reasonably sure we've hired more developers (which we desperately need) in the last month than we had in the 6 preceding his arrival.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The school bell in my High School had mechanical relays and honest to god vacuum tubes. The entire tube system was abandoned in place with a huge rat's nest of 70s brown wiring leading to a super oldschool programmable logic board, with wires leading every which way. I think it tied into the fire alarm system via single "ring bell" wire and the fire panel did all the heavy lifting. It worked, and that's about all it did. Also, they can't disable the bells on weekends or holidays, so you'd hear the 8 AM bell every day.

What was so cool about it is it was all behind a big glass panel right inside the main office door, so you'd see it do it's thing every time the bells needed to ring.

This one is a modern system (the building is less than 10 years old) but still uses relays, you can hear them making an audible thunk every few minutes.

I took another look at the bell system control panel yesterday and here is what I was able to surmise:

- There used to be 2 computers in the office where the control panel is located. They're assuming that 1 of these was somehow used to "computerize" the bell system. This is a false assumption, the 2 computers were not connected to it in any way. I know this because I set them up.
- The control panel does in fact have a way to connect a PC to it...a 3.5mm audio jack on the front panel. I only know this because I went online and found the manual for the dumb thing. There's also a terminal block inside it labelled "RS232". Guess I'm going to have to locate a serial port to 3.5mm cable somewhere with this exact pinout :rolleyes: Here's the manual: https://www.lathem.com/Portals/0/docs/manuals/USG0014S%20LTR-512%20Install%20Users%20Guide.pdf
- In this office I found some hand written instructions on how to use the control panel to change the bell schedule.

So, I'm going to spend half an hour teaching myself how to program this thing using the control panel, then teach the principal that opened the ticket.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Clark2 posted:

So, I'm going to spend half an hour teaching myself how to program this thing using the control panel, then teach the principal that opened the ticket.
I've discovered a flaw in your plan

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

anthonypants posted:

I've discovered a flaw in your plan

Yeah, I spotted that too but since at least one of her staff has already been doing this, I'm hoping that she'll realize there isn't going to be any "computerization". I can dream, right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just play dumb and claim you have no idea how it works, phone a company that makes school bell things and get a quote for a system that does what they want.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Storysmith posted:

Bad internal recruiters are so terrible but good ones are worth their weight in competent coworkers.

So what you're saying is to hire someone really fat

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Macaroni posted:

My reply: The system is working; she never actually completed her training. Here's a screenshot of the fifteen separate emails she's received since July informing her about upcoming and (now) past-due deadlines. And hey, here's a screenshot of the fifteen emails you received as her manager, also since July. Additionally, here's a copy of the email I personally sent you in November with a spreadsheet listing your overdue people and what they needed to get current. The system is correctly showing incomplete training as incomplete. Have a great day.

What are the odds that she did do it, but for someone else's account?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Macaroni posted:

I'm sick and maybe I'm missing something, but it looks to me like all this is telling you is that the training system doesn't think she completed the training, which isn't in dispute. Isn't the question whether those notifications are accurate?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Then he's fine, because a reasonable employee would have reached out to him after the first few emails and said "hey I did do this and its reporting it as wrong, can you fix it please?" While this lady didn't read any of the emails.

Reading is hard.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

Then he's fine, because a reasonable employee would have reached out to him after the first few emails and said "hey I did do this and its reporting it as wrong, can you fix it please?" While this lady didn't read any of the emails.

Reading is hard.

You mean there are people who actually read their emails?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Why is my outlook so slow?

27,000 unread messages

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Gothmog1065 posted:

No mang, the e-mail is for like sending 200mb worth of PDFs

Post-it notes are for reading

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Super Slash posted:

Post-it notes are for making sure I don't forget my password

Ayup.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
As someone who genuinely prefers strong passwords:

The more often you make me type the loving thing on a phone, the less likely it is to be one character longer or more complex than the bare minimum.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have a mobile app that doesn't integrate with password managers then :argh:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have a mobile app that doesn't integrate with password managers then :argh:

Holy gently caress this, my bank's app doesn't permit pasting into the password or username fields. :argh:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

jammyozzy posted:

Holy gently caress this, my bank's app doesn't permit pasting into the password or username fields. :argh:

Not sure what you use but I believe lastpass will "autotype" if you have it setup as an accessibility service on android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

PBS posted:

Not sure what you use but I believe lastpass will "autotype" if you have it setup as an accessibility service on android.

Yup, Lastpass is awesome on android. I can't imagine using my phone and tablet without it.

• Locked thread