Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Sony are absolutely killing it with their Concept ROM on the Z3 Compact. It's already got 6.0.1 and battery life is phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sony are absolutely killing it with their Concept ROM on the Z3 Compact. It's already got 6.0.1 and battery life is phenomenal.

Is there any way I can get on the Concept ROM? I've been seeing a lot of good things about it.

Bryter posted:

Hi android thread, I've been looking for a budget phone to replace my dad's ancient and borderline unusable xperia ray and was wondering if any of you know any reasons to avoid the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6?

It looks pretty good on paper, and reviewed well from what I can tell, but I've never heard of it before and am curious if there's anything I'm overlooking. Thanks!

What's your budget? The Moto E/G/X are great phones for the price. There's also the Blu Life On X 2016 that is $150 with similar specs.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lblitzer posted:

Is there any way I can get on the Concept ROM? I've been seeing a lot of good things about it.

Sony advised people signing up to the program that we can't share the program for the ROM since only registered users have access to the feedback app or something. Does anyone know if we'd be able to link the ROM installer software? It's so straightforward to use. I'd love to just link it but I don't want to break an agreement or something.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Lblitzer posted:

What's your budget? The Moto E/G/X are great phones for the price. There's also the Blu Life On X 2016 that is $150 with similar specs.

Around £100 - £150. I originally planned on just getting a Moto G, but the newest model doesn't look to be as good value as before (I picked the original up for £99 for another family member a couple of years ago, but now they're going for closer to £150) and it seems like competition around that price point is a bit better now. Doesn't look like the BLU Life One X is available here (UK, probably should have mentioned that).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't think you'll do better than the Smart Ultra 6 with that budget. Sure it's an rebadged off-brand phone, but it's easy to overlook that when you're getting similar specs to the Moto X Play which costs literally twice as much.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Launchers don't affect the notification tray?

They may not, but you can set a gesture in Nova that expands notifications if you swipe down on the desktop (or whatever you call it)

(e) Though I just tried it and it appears to be the same as just swiping down from the tray, so no good for you.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 17, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Google is running an android pay promotion right now. Use android pay before the 31st and get a 20$ best buy gift card. Doesn't seem more complex then that

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I have encountered the weirdest bug ever and I can't for the life of me figure out what the gently caress.

I have two separate SSIDs for my home wifi. One is for 5GHz the other one for 2.4GHz wifi. My Nexus 5X connected fine to both. There were some hiccups with the 5GHz but I could always see and connect to it. All of a sudden my 5X can't see the 2.4GHz anymore. Every other device in the house sees it fine. The 5X also sees 2.4 GHz wifi signals from our neighbors, just not ours. Tried rebooting the phone and the router to no avail.

Last resort was a factory reset. Same goddamn problem. What in the actual gently caress?

bronin fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 18, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thermopyle posted:

He's got weird and wrong opinions about stock Android, but it looks like the 6P does a better job about thermal throttling, but it's still not ideal:

quote:

My biggest gripe however are the navigation buttons and Google’s lack of an option to reorder them. While I understand the design decision and logic behind having a back button on the left, it makes no sense in terms of usability for the majority of people that are right-handed.

This is a perfectly valid complaint though, LG UX lets you reorder the buttons, and that's a great feature that stock 100% should have. Alas, maybe Android Nerds.

Also seems my Band 12 complaints were mysteriously answered because I started getting it yesterday out of nowhere, even though the day before in the same area, I wasn't.

Very few complaints with the 5X. I feel like a phone this small shouldn't have a camera this nice, which I realize seems a bit silly. Battery life is worse than the G4 but still enough to get me through the day with plenty of life to spare, so, meh. Screen is noticeably 'yellower' when I directly compare it with the G4, so I guess the G4 has a better, brighter screen, but when I'm looking at either phone alone I don't really notice. Always-listening "Ok Google" is a pretty rad feature and I find myself using it more and more unironically instead of just a cheap 'lol look what my phone can do' trick.

Is there a way to make it so that when you tell it to send you a text, it can read it back to you before you send it? Usually, it goes like this:

"Okay, Google, text <person> <message>"
"Okay. Do you want to send it?" or something
And then yes or no. At this point, though, is there a way to have the phone read it back to you before it sends? I use this while driving and I'm obviously not going to look at my phone, but I've accidentally sent some janky-rear end texts to people because the phone misunderstood me. Asking "read it back to me" or something doesn't do anything and just confuses the phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Daily Forecast posted:

Is there a way to make it so that when you tell it to send you a text, it can read it back to you before you send it? Usually, it goes like this:

"Okay, Google, text <person> <message>"
"Okay. Do you want to send it?" or something
And then yes or no. At this point, though, is there a way to have the phone read it back to you before it sends? I use this while driving and I'm obviously not going to look at my phone, but I've accidentally sent some janky-rear end texts to people because the phone misunderstood me. Asking "read it back to me" or something doesn't do anything and just confuses the phone.

You could probably cook up a Tasker profile that can do this.

Failing that, sell your 5X and get a Moto X because this is a feature of the Moto app suite.

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/3w7y4y/help_creating_a_task_to_have_tasker_read_and/
Needs Tasker and Autovoice.

edit2: https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/2xgwvk/automated_text_message_no_need_for_autovoice/
Another one, doesn't need Autovoice.

nimper fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 18, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Google is running an android pay promotion right now. Use android pay before the 31st and get a 20$ best buy gift card. Doesn't seem more complex then that

*requires a Nexus device

Rastor posted:

I just remembered, I had a warranty replacement once. So probably they sent me an international version and mystery solved.

What's your System Version under About Phone?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, gonna have to get in on it. For whatever reason I've historically had poor luck actually getting my phone to pay at a kiosk but I'll give it another shot tonight.

I also ended up getting a 6.0.1 OTA on my Nexus 6 on T-Mobile yesterday. Already love the two-taps of power button to launch the camera.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've entered my cards into android pay several times, but never actually tried a payment with it.
I should do that one of these days.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

sure is loving great that Android Pay supports one of the biggest banks in america, Chase

oh wait it loving doesn't

Kinda unfair of Google to run that promotion when their poo poo doesn't even work yet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

sure is loving great that Android Pay supports one of the biggest banks in america, Chase

Kinda unfair of Google to run that promotion when their poo poo doesn't even work yet.

Oh you poor thing, like barely half of Google's poo poo is even available in Canada, suck it the heck up.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vykk.Draygo posted:

*requires a Nexus device

I didn't mean to overlook that you're absolutely right

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

repiv posted:

I don't think you'll do better than the Smart Ultra 6 with that budget. Sure it's an rebadged off-brand phone, but it's easy to overlook that when you're getting similar specs to the Moto X Play which costs literally twice as much.

Sounds more than enough for what he'll use it for. Thanks!

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

Isn't that down to Chase being dicks and pushing their own vaporware "Chase Pay" instead?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nill posted:

Isn't that down to Chase being dicks and pushing their own vaporware "Chase Pay" instead?

Of course it is, but never want to pass up an opportunity to "Gooooogle!! :argh: "

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Nill posted:

As far as I know, yes. its Chase that's the issue, not google.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Daily Forecast posted:

I fired Chase and moved to Citi for this reason alone. They have backpedaled recently, saying they would support Android Pay "in 2016" but gently caress them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

This is a perfectly valid complaint though, LG UX lets you reorder the buttons, and that's a great feature that stock 100% should have

Yes, that is a perfectly valid complaint. It's a long journey from that being a valid complaint to stock Android being worse than OEM skins.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

You may also want to check out the Wiley Fox Swift which is a pretty good budget phone, specs comparable to the Moto G, though no idea how it compare to the Vodafone thing. It also runs Cyanogen so it'll probably get updates faster.

Edit: G, not X.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 18, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tunga posted:

You may also want to check out the Wiley Fox Swift which is a pretty good budget phone, specs comparable to the Moto X, though no idea how it compare to the Vodafone thing. It also runs Cyanogen so it'll probably get updates faster.

The Wileyfox Swift is closer to a Moto G, you're thinking of the Wileyfox Storm which is out of budget for him (£199).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nill posted:

Capital One is playing the same poo poo, Tap to pay in their android app but no support in Android Pay or Samsung pay. But my bank and other credit card is Bank of America so it's not the biggest deal but I don't want to unlock, open your app, swipe, press tap to pay.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Ordered my Nexus 6P a few days ago to replace my Nexus 5 since battery/performance appears to have taken a dive after Marshmallow. Protip if you contact support apparently they're honoring the promotional price for all devices bought after Dec 1.

I think I want to keep this guy stock if possible since the only thing I really miss is long press volume to skip tracks. What's the best (if any) non-root way to do this?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Bryter posted:

Hi android thread, I've been looking for a budget phone to replace my dad's ancient and borderline unusable xperia ray and was wondering if any of you know any reasons to avoid the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6?

It looks pretty good on paper, and reviewed well from what I can tell, but I've never heard of it before and am curious if there's anything I'm overlooking. Thanks!

I have one right here (Dad's Xmas gift) and it seems very good for the money to me. Does feel a bit light and plasticy but other than that no complaints. The majority of the Voda poo poo is uninstallable, and it updated to 5.1.1 straight away.

Unlocked it for £2.25 via eBay

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

roffles posted:

Ordered my Nexus 6P a few days ago to replace my Nexus 5 since battery/performance appears to have taken a dive after Marshmallow. Protip if you contact support apparently they're honoring the promotional price for all devices bought after Dec 1.

I think I want to keep this guy stock if possible since the only thing I really miss is long press volume to skip tracks. What's the best (if any) non-root way to do this?

Performance should definitely not have taken a dive with Marshmallow. If anything it should run better, I know my N6 does anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

The Wileyfox Swift is closer to a Moto G, you're thinking of the Wileyfox Storm which is out of budget for him (£199).
Actually I just can't type properly. I meant the Moto G, yes.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Bryter posted:

I've got one. They've released the 5.1 update in the last week. My only fuss with it, is that the body is somewhat delicate. Pop it in a case and you're sorted, though.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

Performance should definitely not have taken a dive with Marshmallow. If anything it should run better, I know my N6 does anyway.

Yeah I don't know, I've reflashed between stock Marshmallow and my previous CM12 build on the N5 a few times and the same issues. Google Maps/Play store gets sluggish randomly and straight up crashes other times on Marshmallow, my battery life goes from being able to go the full work day to needing a charge after lunchtime. I'm probably due for a new phone anyway but not sure why my experience is so different between them. I'm a sucker for shiny things though so N6P here I come!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

6.0.1 hosed up my BT stability, I've dropped the connection to my car several times already. Sad ilkhan.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ilkhan posted:

6.0.1 hosed up my BT stability, I've dropped the connection to my car several times already. Sad ilkhan.

That's weird, it actually fixed it for my nexus 6, with 6.0 it would drop and reconnect every so often (maybe every 30 mintues) but 6.0.1 seems to have fixed it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
A lot of my marshmallow woes seem to have been totally solved by wiping my cache, so that might be something to try.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Daily Forecast posted:

A lot of my marshmallow woes seem to have been totally solved by wiping my cache, so that might be something to try.

A lot of problems are solved by properly wiping.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
So has anyone gotten the Best Buy e-card, or know of anyone who has? Curious if it's really a few hours, days, or if it's going to be longer before it's added to your Android Pay.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

DemonMage posted:

So has anyone gotten the Best Buy e-card, or know of anyone who has? Curious if it's really a few hours, days, or if it's going to be longer before it's added to your Android Pay.

Mine arrived in like 30 hours after I tapped at Walgreens. Just shows up in the Android Pay app as a barcode.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's been about that long for me and I didn't think to check until now, but there it is. No complaints here other than having to set foot in a Best Buy to use it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's been about that long for me and I didn't think to check until now, but there it is. No complaints here other than having to set foot in a Best Buy to use it.

Lol I was IN best buy when it showed up so there you go. I wanted to buy a bluray and have them price match Amazon so it was fate I not spend money yesterday. It's also cool that I got a 20$ gift card for buying a mellow yellow zero out of a vending machine :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Context: My phone was at 93% before going bed (I had the screen brightness all the way down and battery saver on), checked the battery earlier this morning, saw this:

Also, the batter is bipolar and sometimes drains even when plugged into my computer. :wtc:

I like this phone but god loving dammit the battery is poo poo.