Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zaodai posted:

Working on my Cauldron Born: If I'm running a pair of SRM Launchers, is it substantially better in either direction to run either a pair of SRM4s with Artemis or a pair of SRM6s without it? My mind keeps telling me that losing out on 8 damage per salvo (nearly an additional AC shot!) is crazy, but everybody has been raving about how good Artemis is for SRMs.

Also, is there a fast way to earn pilot XP? I get thousands of 'mech XP per match, and then like 32 pilot xp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAHxMOw6kPU

This is probably out of date but it gives you an idea.
2 SRM4's with artemis will hit the component you shoot at ~70% of the time for 11.2 dmg per shot (I think- MWO srms may do more than 2 per missile, but it's relative damage we're after, not total).
2 SRM6's with no artemis will hit the component ~46% of the time for 11.04 dmg per shot.

And SRM4's fire faster and consume significantly less ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's some pretty helpful information, thanks! I didn't notice the spreads getting that much smaller visually (just going by thrust trails), but that's probably just my eyes playing tricks on me since the cone would naturally be getting narrower.

So the SRM4+Artemis would be better for concentrated kills, and the SRM6s without it would be better if I were trying to fish for crits? Though I take it crit-fishing isn't really worth it in MWO anyway. I ended up dropping the medium pulse laser I was running to fit the Artemis and I think an extra ton of UAC ammo since I'd actually come close to running out a couple times even with the few tons I was carrying, so now I'm just running 2 cUAC10 and 2 cSRM4+Artemis. I just have to get over the mindset that says less weapons is inherently worse than more weapons. In the old games you always wanted to carry as much individual weaponry (like medium lasers) as you could. It's kinda nice that the more bursty weapons like AC10s/20s actually have a use in MWO.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zaodai posted:

That's some pretty helpful information, thanks! I didn't notice the spreads getting that much smaller visually (just going by thrust trails), but that's probably just my eyes playing tricks on me since the cone would naturally be getting narrower.

So the SRM4+Artemis would be better for concentrated kills, and the SRM6s without it would be better if I were trying to fish for crits?

I think the general takeaway is that Artemis basically bumps your damage-to-target up by one size category while retaining all other benefits of the smaller weapon in fire rate/ammo capacity. Crit fishing is okay, but seems to be more of an LBX and MG kind of game, I don't know how srms would do.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
here's a warhammer sneak-peek, nerds

http://www.twitch.tv/piranhagames

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I'm getting the weirdest glitch i've seen in this game. My warhorns are all turning into the pressure chamber. First it was just a jade squawk, but now two others have also decided to start roleplaying as the pressure chamber. They still look like their original horns, but nothing i've tried has returned them to their original soundbytes.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

What the Christ is this guy doing? 70 ton mech, 2 PPCs, 4 MGs and he's like wat do. Maxed his engine to XL340 then saw he had spare tonnage and swapped over to an Std.
This is like watching some kind of day 3 pubbie trying to fit a mech.

Could fit that onto a 40 ton mech.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:
Can someone from WoL give me and my buddy an invite?

We're Taarkus Voz and Kinickinick

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

brainSnakes posted:

I'm getting the weirdest glitch i've seen in this game. My warhorns are all turning into the pressure chamber. First it was just a jade squawk, but now two others have also decided to start roleplaying as the pressure chamber. They still look like their original horns, but nothing i've tried has returned them to their original soundbytes.

At least they started turning into the best horn.

I'm tempted to pick up the Warhammer pack, as the Warhammer is another of my favorite mechs. But honestly? Screw it. They've got enough of my money, I'll farm them up with Cbills when they're in the shop. I've got enough mechs to hurl PPCs from for now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

Impressive. He managed to make his Warhammer into a larger, slower Sparky with no jump jets.

Oh, and insufficient heat management to brawl.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

As much as I love the Warhammer. What they've designed is kinda ugly, and will probably end up like the Cent where the in-game model is squat and (more) ugly because it's 1.5x wider than the concept art.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Torso AC's and sacrificial shield arms, I can see it being a good mech.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Someone tell me the Catapult -C1 or Grasshopper -5N is good.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There's absolutely no reason to put the PPCs in the arms of a warhammer in this game. Most Hams are going to have 2+ energy slots per torso, so you should always have a dead side to shield with.

raverrn posted:

The Catapult -C1 or Grasshopper -5N is good.

(they're not)

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 19, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who mastered the grasshopper robots out of sheer doggedness... don't loving do it.

Yes you can make them work but you can technically make any robot work. Doesn't mean you should.

Get yourself some black knights because if you're going to be a big, easy to shoot, all energy tall mech then you may as well be heaviest in weight class for the extra armor.

(I am not saying black knights are any good either but if I was going to choose between them I'd take one)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

DancingShade posted:

As someone who mastered the grasshopper robots out of sheer doggedness... don't loving do it.

Yes you can make them work but you can technically make any robot work. Doesn't mean you should.

Get yourself some black knights because if you're going to be a big, easy to shoot, all energy tall mech then you may as well be heaviest in weight class for the extra armor.

(I am not saying black knights are any good either but if I was going to choose between them I'd take one)

I just wanna brawl like it's 3025. :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

raverrn posted:

I just wanna brawl like it's 3025. :(

There are other catapults that are better at that. Better quickdraws, too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vaginapocalypse posted:

Can someone from WoL give me and my buddy an invite?

We're Taarkus Voz and Kinickinick

Invite sent.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Hello goons. I just started playing this. I bought the crab as my first mech. I like this game.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

raverrn posted:

As someone who personally loves the catapults despite them being pretty crap, I can't say it. You CAN murder the poo poo out of people in a C1 because they kinda ignore you sometimes, but you'll pop anytime someone looks at you funny.

As for the grasshoppers? I don't think I've seen one since the week they came out. I've seen more vindicators.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Hello goons. I just started playing this. I bought the crab as my first mech. I like this game.

Clearly you should have bought an urbie considering our current run.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Fil5000 posted:

Shadow Cat is also 45

It's the perfect weight. The max team tonnage for 12 people is 600t, also known as 50t per person. So playing Shadow Cat is literally appropriate no matter how big your party is because you're giving the rest of the party an extra 5t.

Ergo, the Shadow Cat is the perfect 'Mech in every way.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

9 urbies 3 atlas is clearly the way to go.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

TeeMerk posted:

9 urbies 3 atlas is clearly the way to go.

It certainly walked all over the other team.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Should I buy Urbanmechs and have fun with dumb robots or save up for Stormcrows and have fun with stupidly good robots?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Not a Step posted:

Should I buy Urbanmechs and have fun with dumb robots or save up for Stormcrows and have fun with stupidly good robots?

Let your heart decide, but remember this is a comedy forum so if you chose the non comedy option we might be judging you.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
They really should have put a mechbay in this challenge thing to encourage more to stick around, but I suspect they will do a Holiday grab bag thing. Those are usually pretty lucrative in terms of free stuff and who doesn't like unwrapping gifts!

you got 1 IS mg

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Not a Step posted:

Three urbies is like what, 1/3rd the cost of a Stormcrow? I mean yeah it costs like 2mil to pro mode them but who cares for a joke mech; a clan LPL is basically the cost of one of these trash cans*.

*It might not be, I have no idea how much a clan LPL costs off the top of my head, it just isn't cheap.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hey, do you like raw footage of urbanmechs and undedited coms with people talking over each other? HAVE I GOT THE VIDEOS FOR YOU

First of 3, others should be done uploading later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQgTCKISyI

e; I was going to ask how to change the thumbnail but now I see I dont need to.

edit 2;

Second video up, 1080p when processing, etc. I forgot to hit record at the start of this one so I got the last 5 minutes from shadowplay. Starts right when the brawl does so all you really missed is us me bitching at group lead for not deselecting oceanic servers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfEdIEHllQ

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 19, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

Hey, do you like raw footage of urbanmechs and undedited coms with people talking over each other? HAVE I GOT THE VIDEOS FOR YOU

First of 3, others should be done uploading later. Ill probably have to post them in the morning. 1080 should be available once its done processing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQgTCKISyI

e; I was going to ask how to change the thumbnail but now I see I dont need to.

Glorious :allears:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
We just won on Canyon in 3:30. That is all.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Did some group drops with friends, didn't realize that being in any group at all put you in a queue with other groups no matter how many people
Ran into an 11 man group that was all light mechs with a gimmick of using so many flamers they could shut you down no matter what. We killed them, but man did it stuck to be the rearguard when I ran into that.

Also had a few drops against Goons. By far the toughest fights of the night, as far as tactical poo poo goes.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Zaodai posted:

Also had a few drops against Goons. By far the toughest fights of the night, as far as tactical poo poo goes.

lol

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Thanks for uploading Great Beer!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

No, really. They knew how to shoot guns and focus fire. That's genius territory.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I have another awesome Shadow Cat build. It has an alpha of 61 points of damage!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I installed this game and I kind of like assaults, the crab in particular is fun for no reason other than it's a giant robot crab. I'm kind of awful at this game and have yet to score a kill even though I've played for like almost ten matches now. I think part of it comes from playing with randoms who don't communicate. We can all be together getting ready to fight or defend, and suddenly half the team is gone. My biggest issue, aside from sucking, is over heating. I already have like 11million credits or whatever so I dunno I guess I can buy whatever I want? I wasn't a fan of the stormcrow even if it is the god-king of mechs. I just like being a big stompy death monster.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuebot posted:

So I installed this game and I kind of like assaults, the crab in particular is fun for no reason other than it's a giant robot crab. I'm kind of awful at this game and have yet to score a kill even though I've played for like almost ten matches now. I think part of it comes from playing with randoms who don't communicate. We can all be together getting ready to fight or defend, and suddenly half the team is gone. My biggest issue, aside from sucking, is over heating. I already have like 11million credits or whatever so I dunno I guess I can buy whatever I want? I wasn't a fan of the stormcrow even if it is the god-king of mechs. I just like being a big stompy death monster.

Atlas is a good robot for you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I bought the crab anyway, because it's a crab. :shrug: I don't like the Atlas' weird face. Now begins the slow process of turning this crab into a mega crab. Not sure if I want to go with gauss rifles or just lots and lots of guns.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I bought the crab anyway, because it's a crab. :shrug: I don't like the Atlas' weird face. Now begins the slow process of turning this crab into a mega crab. Not sure if I want to go with gauss rifles or just lots and lots of guns.

4 AC/5s is pretty fun in a King Crab. So is 2 AC/20. Dual Gauss isn't in a great place right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I like the AC/20's. That's what the trial one uses, right? They had a nice bang to them and once I got over the instinct to just rush at things and spam the fire button they could clean up pretty good. People don't like being shot at by a giant metal crab. I kind of want to give 4AC/5's a shot just to see the difference though. What's the difference between AC/5 and UltraAC/5?

• Locked thread