Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Dahbadu posted:

- The planet killer base wasn't so easily dealt with, e.g. more difficult to infiltrate/sabotage with the rebels only able to disable the gun buying themselves some time as opposed to blowing up the whole thing

I was fine with this because of Imagine actually guarding a planet size death star, it would be nearly impossible. Like Death Stars this thing is actually kinda an ineffective weapon when you get down to it, but its easy to overlook because they are just great tools for terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

teagone posted:

The reason I'm suspecting this at all is because of the exchange Rey and Leia have towards the end of the film. It's not a lot to go by, but their reaction for being supposed total strangers had a whole lot of emotion behind it.

The emotion is twofold: Rey has just witnessed the death of Leia's lover and battled with her estranged son, and Rey found a father figure in Han -- like Luke did in Ben -- but subverting the repetition of that story structure it's now shifted to a mother figure in Leia. Leia and Rey are also both force sensitive, which now again seems to be rare.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Kurzon posted:

Kylo Ren may not yet be as powerful as Darth Vader, but he's still fairly badass. It took the combined efforts of Chewie, Finn, and Rey to beat him, and Snoke is now going to train him further. And the other "dweeb losers" blew up three Republic worlds with a superweapon more badass than the Death Star.

And what of the Republic? Luke is moping on some deserted planet instead of dealing with his rogue apprentice. The First Order managed to build this colossal superweapon and the Republic and the Resistance didn't know about it, which is a massive intelligence failure (what happened to all those wonderful Bothan spies)?

More to the point they look like dweeb losers. And in Phasma's case gets thrown in the trash can. Their actions and in-universe presence are different.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Kurzon posted:

Kylo Ren may not yet be as powerful as Darth Vader, but he's still fairly badass. It took the combined efforts of Chewie, Finn, and Rey to beat him, and Snoke is now going to train him further. And the other "dweeb losers" blew up three Republic worlds with a superweapon more badass than the Death Star.

People I saw it with took the transition of Ren from "badass who can stop frickin lasers" to "beaten by someone who just picked up a lightsaber" as being due to the Force Awakening (tm), i.e., he was so powerful at the beginning of the film not necessary because of some innate power, but because the dark side was unopposed. As Rey awakens, it's not just that she learns to use the force, but the force comes more into balance and his power diminishes.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just thought I'd share my opinion that this was a great movie full of adventure and fun, kthx. Looking forward to the next.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

mr.capps posted:

I was fine with this because of Imagine actually guarding a planet size death star, it would be nearly impossible. Like Death Stars this thing is actually kinda an ineffective weapon when you get down to it, but its easy to overlook because they are just great tools for terror

I guess the sticking point for me is that the new planet killer was built up as bigger threat. Similar to how Death Star 2 was a bigger threat than Death Star 1, and as such was arguably more difficult to overcome for our heroes.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm reminded why I never go to the theater. There was a guy sitting behind me who was commenting on stuff through out the whole movie. It was mostly saying, "Aw, poo poo," literally anytime anything even moderately exciting happened, or was introducing characters incorrectly (Keelo Ren, 3P-CO, R2-BB, Captain Fantasia), but would occassionally just turn into him narrating what was happening on screen "Oh he she force tricked him and he dropped his gun. Now she's going to escape." "R2D2 woke up, now they're bringing the map together"
One of my most memorable movie theater experiences was watching a Navy chief petty officer stand up in the middle of The Bourne Supremacy and curse out the fat nerd behind him for doing exactly this kind of thing.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 18, 2015

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Zoran posted:

The Rey & Leia scene still makes sense if it's niece & aunt. There's a hint that Han might've suspected something, since Maz asks him, "Who's the girl?" right before we cut away. So if Leia had her suspicions as well, it's easier to see why she sent Luke's daughter to bring him back from exile instead of just going herself.

Plus R2 only activates when Rey arrives at the Resistance base for the first time.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, the whole talk about the lightsaber/force calling out to Anakin and Luke before? That was really on the nose. Why should she be able to "hear" it, if she wasn't part of the lineage? I don't think there's any big mystery here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Just to be clear, the First Order is a insurgency movement that enacts terrorist attacks on the democratic Regime (The New Republic) whilst sitting on the border of another Regime (The Empire) that was defeated previously but is still a major regional power. Due to war weariness the Democratic power does not want to intervene against the first order and uses proxies to do so instead (The Resistance), whilst The Empire follows a similar strategy, ultimately letting a situation that could have been rectified get completely out of hand and resulting in major attacks on the democratic regime.

Usually I'm not one for reading into subtext too deeply, but just as the OT was informed by Vietnam I really do think that this is informed by Syria and Post Occupation Iraq.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corek posted:

Sam Kriss hobnobs with goons and ex-goons on twitter and has recently provoked a response from Slavoj Zizek for criticizing his refugee stance. It's quite possible that the article actually was derived from SMG's posting here.

If it was, he missed a good deal of the point. That article is a good primer on how to read Star Wars, but Kriss gets too proud of the technological terror of the Death Star, and fails to understand the full implications of a suffering Force - the Force as suffering God, with Vader as its incarnation.

Only a suffering God can save us: “a God who – like the suffering Christ on the Cross – is agonized, assumes the burden of suffering, in solidarity with the human misery".
-Zizek

If course, this is precisely what happens at the end of Episode 6 (though many fail to understand it.)

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Dahbadu posted:

I guess the sticking point for me is that the new planet killer was built up as bigger threat. Similar to how Death Star 2 was a bigger threat than Death Star 1, and as such was arguably more difficult to overcome for our heroes.

Well, then you must have agreed with Han's response to their reactions.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
3D or 2D? I'd like to watch it in 2D but there are way more 3D showings, so I may not have a choice. Is it annoying?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zoran posted:

And it's possible that she's his little sister, but then I think it's hard to see why he hates her so much. If Ben aspired to take on the family legacy, then why does a little sister threaten that?

Because Kylo Ren chose the dark path, and wants to further that line of succession following Darth Vader, not the line of Anakin Skywalker that claimed redemption which is the path that Rey is likely to be set upon. I just find the contrast of brother and sister representing the light and dark ideologies of the family legacy to carry more weight than if they were cousins. I'm game either way though, because I think both Rey and Ben are great characters. I'd also be game if Rey just turns out to be like, the long lost daughter of Kenobi or something.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Kurtofan posted:

3D or 2D? I'd like to watch it in 2D but there are way more 3D showings, so I may not have a choice. Is it annoying?

I didn't find it annoying. The aerial combat looked great in it, and there's another scene where a Star Destroyer seems like it's poking you in the face, which was fun.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
This was a fantastic movie, easily better than any of the Star Wars prequels in my opinion. It was a lot of fun, it was funny, and I really liked the brisk pacing.

To those who complained that they didn't explain enough in the movie, haven't you heard of the "show, don't tell" technique? There was plenty of visual and audio cues that helped tell the story - for example, when we see Rey tallying up the days she's been waiting for her family to return. I thought the movie had beautiful cinematography, however, it would've been better if they ended the film with a shot of Luke's reaction to Rey handing him his old lightsaber.

All of the new characters were very likable, especially Rey, Finn and BB-8 (who nearly stole every scene he was in, I was amazed how expressive he was). Poe was another surprise, in that he's more than just a throwaway fighter pilot in that he's the one that gives Finn his name, and helping him find his identity beyond being just a stormtrooper.

Kylo Ren was pretty badass, and a worthy successor to Darth Vader. I'm glad I was wrong in thinking he'd be a one-movie villain like Darth Maul. He's very much a mirror of Anakin pre-Darth Vader, in that he's reckless, letting his emotions get the best of him and cloud his judgment. I really, really liked the reveal that he's the son of Han Solo and Leia, and that his name is Ben (named after Obi Wan).

Some other spoilery thoughts:

- I loved the scene with Han and Kylo on the bridge. It was very reminiscent of the bridge scene in ESB, except the roles were reversed.
- Chewie was so awesome in this movie, he was so badass after he single-handedly takes out the five stormtroopers after Han dies and finishes the mission of blowing up the base
- Rey has to be either Luke's daughter, Han and Leia's daughter or Obi Wan's daughter. It seems most likely (in my opinion) that Luke is her father.
- You'd think after two Death Stars having a weak point in the center that the First Order would learn from the Empire's mistakes, but here we are.
- I'm really happy they limited the screentime of the Original Trilogy crew, as that helped give the film more time to develop the newer characters. I'm totally okay with them saving Luke for the next movie.

I'll be seeing this again tomorrow at a Drive-In movie theater near me. Last night I saw it in 3D IMAX (the 3D doesn't do much at all, but it wasn't super distracting). It should be a fun experience seeing it at a Drive-In!

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 18, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Having not read the spoilers or seen the movie yet I find this threads non-spoiler description of Kylo Ren as a "cosplaying, vader fanboy, edgelord school shooter" to be an interesting one. I rolled my eyes at first, since it's so modern and kind of hipsterish, but the more I think about it, the more refreshing it is to have a villain that's more than one note. Hell, even Vader as much as I love him for his fantastic character design was pretty one note until we find out more of his backstory later on. If Kylo Ren is basically Dane DeHaan's character from Chronicle, then that sounds like it might actually be an interesting take on the character.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

3D not only not annoying but also good in a way most movies never do with 3D. Right from the beginning you'll think it's worth it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Heads up for all the people making massive spoiler block posts in case you weren't aware there's a relatively new discussion thread where you don't have to spoiler anything.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748341

Kurtofan posted:

Felt like an afterthought. It's not annoying but it didn't really feel immersive or anything. I'd save the $5 or whatever. Gravity pretty much ruined 3D for me because no movie is ever going to do it that well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I liked Hux. I want to mention that I like Hux because while Kylo Ren is getting a lot of deserved love, I feel like Hux was cool and I look forward to seeing more Hux.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Am I the first person to notice Maz Kanata's name is a play on Mas Que Nada?. I thought it was a coincidence until the bossa nova playing at her place.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I also found Chewie's touch of grey superb. He looked fabulous.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Movie ruled. Definitely going to see it again

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

-Blackadder- posted:

If Kylo Ren is basically Dane DeHaan's character from Chronicle, then that sounds like it might actually be an interesting take on the character.

That's actually a pretty drat good comparison, come to think of it.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

After reading a few pages, can't find an answer: what's the deal with the lightsaber that Rey finds being Anakin's/Luke's original? Wasn't that lost on Bespin? They brush it off in the film, but is there some sidestory/EU poo poo here?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Heads up for all the people making massive spoiler block posts in case you weren't aware there's a relatively new discussion thread where you don't have to spoiler anything.

Doesn't that thread contain spoilers for VIII and IX too, though.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, it contains rumors and speculation for all the upcoming films.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

-Blackadder- posted:

Having not read the spoilers or seen the movie yet I find this threads non-spoiler description of Kylo Ren as a "cosplaying, vader fanboy, edgelord school shooter" to be an interesting one.

I liked when Kylo Ren is interrogating Rey and he takes off his helmet and she sort of makes a face like "oops he's hot and/or has great hair."

I checked that thread and it is a bad thread where there are spoilers for things not from this movie. :colbert:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

mr.capps posted:

I liked Hux. I want to mention that I like Hux because while Kylo Ren is getting a lot of deserved love, I feel like Hux was cool and I look forward to seeing more Hux.

I feel like they didn't do enough with him to really have an opinion but I like Domnhall Gleeson and think he's set up to be a potentially cool character. It would be nice to see more internal fighting between the Sith bros and the military officer bros than the kind of weak suggested way it was in ANH where the Sith bros clearly ran the show.

turtlecrunch posted:

I liked when Kylo Ren is interrogating Rey and he takes off his helmet and she sort of makes a face like "oops he's hot."

I checked that thread and it is a bad thread where there are spoilers for things not from this movie. :colbert:

Really? I must have missed it. What movie got spoiled?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mr.capps posted:

Hux was cool. Loved his Triumph of the Will speech. He threw in some Hitler pounds for good measure. Another nice detail was how the First Order administrator's hats resembled Kylo Ren's bat-like ship.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

Doesn't that thread contain spoilers for VIII and IX too, though.

wait does it because gently caress that

I mean it will only be a couple months before I have to go dark on this dumbass thread again

although it turns out all the speculative spoilers from like last year were all bullshit (the ones that I saw that werent spoilered that made me go gently caress this thread)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

After reading a few pages, can't find an answer: what's the deal with the lightsaber [spoiler]that Rey finds being Anakin's/Luke's original? Wasn't that lost on Bespin? They brush it off in the film, but is there some sidestory/EU poo poo here?

It was indeed lost on Bespin. Maz Kanata says the lightsaber coming in to her possession is a story for another time, or something to that effect, when Han asks her where she got it. Maybe there will be A Star Wars Story™ movie about it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is the second time JJ Abrams has remade ANH. :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hhhat posted:

although it turns out all the speculative spoilers from like last year were all bullshit (the ones that I saw that werent spoilered that made me go gently caress this thread)

I still think Rey's staff is an ancient Sith relic.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Wait people are scared of baseless speculation for the next two movies because someone might accidentally be right? lol

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
JJ sure loves messing around with usage of hyperspace. In Star Trek you had the whole "you can't beam aboard a ship moving at warp speed, it's never been done, it's too dangerous!!!!" thing, and this movie had TWO instances of he same kind of hyperspace fuckery, with Han first going to light speed from within the hangar of his space junker ship, and then again coming out of light speed right above the planet.

More thoughts and nitpicks later when I'm not phone posting, but overall I loved it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

- You'd think after two Death Stars having a weak point in the center that the First Order would learn from the Empire's mistakes, but here we are.

To be fair it's this giant department store sized thing that can take a heavy bombing like no thing and even gets bombed out from the inside. It's not until that makes a hole and an X-wing flies in to tear poo poo up on the inside that it eventually goes up. Which is also usually guarded by a super-shield. If I'm going to be stuck with a weak point there isn't much more I could do to work with it. :v:

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 18, 2015

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I feel like they didn't do enough with him to really have an opinion but I like Domnhall Gleeson and think he's set up to be a potentially cool character. It would be nice to see more internal fighting between the Sith bros and the military officer bros than the kind of weak suggested way it was in ANH where the Sith bros clearly ran the show.

I feel like he did more than Tarkin did in ANH. He reeled in Kylo Ren like Tarkin did, but also got to see him interact with Snoke, to which we never got Tarkin sending any reports to the Emperor.And I noted a few posts above (this thread moves fast), he got his big Nazi speech.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wait people are scared of baseless speculation for the next two movies because someone might accidentally be right? lol

That is how deep the spoiler psychosis goes, yes.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

OldSenileGuy posted:

JJ sure loves messing around with usage of hyperspace. In Star Trek you had the whole "you can't beam aboard a ship moving at warp speed, it's never been done, it's too dangerous!!!!" thing, and this movie had TWO instances of he same kind of hyperspace fuckery, with Han first going to light speed from within the hangar of his space junker thing, and then again coming out of light speed right above the planet.

More thoughts and nitpicks later when I'm not phone posting, but overall I loved it.

Are you complaining about a movie not fitting the canon of a different unrelated movie

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I think they are setting up something really interesting with both Hux and Kylo Ren being pretty young when you compare them to Vader and Tarkin. I wonder if Hux is going to turn out to be a Tarkin fanboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I hated the Nazi scene because I felt like someone was slapping me in the face saying DO YOU GET IT through the whole thing so I guess I'm not giving it enough credit. He delivered the speech well, I just hated the imagery.

• Locked thread