Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Despite being ridiculously powerful, Graviton was a bit of a jobber villain for most of his existence after his first appearance. He became more of a big deal as the chief enemy of the Thunderbolts in the 1990s.

I remember reading the wiki about him and it was like "He can generate blasts up to 500 kT and was able to control gravity on the other side of the planet" and I was like, why is this guy not still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The problem with gravity powers is that you can either use them like they're telekinesis, which is dumb because why not just have TK at that point, or use them smart and be an unbeatable god because if anyone tries to stop you, you warp space-time around them so they finish throwing that punch 500 years from now.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The key to quite a few Marvel villains like Graviton and the Wrecking Crew is that they are several power-classes higher than the heroes, but their simple-mindedness and pettiness holds them back.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Also Graviton is Canadian, which has to count as some kind of handicap.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Listen, bub...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

Also Graviton is Canadian, which has to count as some kind of handicap.

You would think he would be more polite about being such a jerk.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Bette Noir from Irredeemable has gravity based superpowers, she just doesn't realize it.

That reveal read like a old fashion Alan Moore retcon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

lifg posted:

Bette Noir from Irredeemable has gravity based superpowers, she just doesn't realize it.

That reveal read like a old fashion Alan Moore retcon.

That's really more of a Grant Morrison thing ain't it? Iceman's stupid bullshit powers and all that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

BTW what happened to him, last thing I remember him doing is being some sort of higher up on AIM Island.

Graviton appeared this very week in Starbrand & Nightmask #1 as a crazy hobo muttering crap to himself. Eventually he meets up with Nitro, who for some reason is also a crazy hobo, and they team up to attack the title characters. Cliffhanger ending as Nitro appears to blow up the school they're attending (spoiler alert i don't think he pulls it off since there's more issues and Squirrel Girl takes place in the same school and that book hasn't been suddenly cancelled)

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Lurdiak posted:

That's really more of a Grant Morrison thing ain't it? Iceman's stupid bullshit powers and all that.
Miracleman and Swamp Thing, dude.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Dario the Wop posted:

Miracleman and Swamp Thing, dude.

Yeah, Miracleman was a simple Captain Marvel type hero who turns into a great hero when he says a magic word. Moore explained his power as him having two bodies sharing a single consciousness, one of which is stored in stasis on the astral plane while the other is in use.

And that was the sanest part of that retcon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Graviton appeared this very week in Starbrand & Nightmask #1 as a crazy hobo muttering crap to himself. Eventually he meets up with Nitro, who for some reason is also a crazy hobo, and they team up to attack the title characters. Cliffhanger ending as Nitro appears to blow up the school they're attending (spoiler alert i don't think he pulls it off since there's more issues and Squirrel Girl takes place in the same school and that book hasn't been suddenly cancelled)

Well, Squirrel Girl and Nancy are in the 1960s right now, so the college could explode and they'd be OK. Parker Industries will have it rebuilt by the time they get back.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

has Grant Morrison ever even written anything with Iceman in it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

has Grant Morrison ever even written anything with Iceman in it?

I forget who was writing X-men when a lot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I forget who was writing X-men when a lot.

yeah i don't think Iceman ever showed up in his run.

he did show up in Mike Carey's run and do a lot of crazy poo poo, and that run was definitely Morrison-ish, but i really liked it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dario the Wop posted:

The key to quite a few [antagonists] like [Mazirian the magician] and [Don Juan] is that they are several power-classes higher than the heroes, but their simple-mindedness and pettiness holds them back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah i don't think Iceman ever showed up in his run.

he did show up in Mike Carey's run and do a lot of crazy poo poo, and that run was definitely Morrison-ish, but i really liked it.

That cover with him emerging from snow as some sort of ice golem and frenching Mystique is pretty boss.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

zoux posted:

Listen, bub...

He's got gravitational blood.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

That cover with him emerging from snow as some sort of ice golem and frenching Mystique is pretty boss.

Chris Bachalo's covers for that run were great.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Have they ever done a story where Wolverine gets addicted to an illegal drug because he probably can't die from it and it may help him get over the massive mental pain he lives in every daaayyyyyyy?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ultragonk posted:

Have they ever done a story where Wolverine gets addicted to an illegal drug because he probably can't die from it and it may help him get over the massive mental pain he lives in every daaayyyyyyy?

Drugs don't work on wolverine, his body metabolizes everything from alcohol to hard drugs in seconds. This is also why nowadays [or at least pre death] he could drink for hours and be sober.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

KittyEmpress posted:

Drugs don't work on wolverine, his body metabolizes everything from alcohol to hard drugs in seconds. This is also why nowadays [or at least pre death] he could drink for hours and be sober.

Molson: the hardest beer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe getting drunk is like killing him, you just have to get enough in before he heals.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RandallODim posted:

Molson: the hardest beer.

If all he was drinking was lovely Molson then it's no wonder that he couldn't get drunk

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

Wolverine's awful kid Daken got hooked on some comic book super-meth that was so strong it burned out his healing factor one time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's how Logan should have died.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Logan got megadrunk somehow one time and answered the question "so if Wolverine's claws shoot from his forearms into his hands, what happens if his wrist isn't aligned properly?"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

That's a bummer, forever the designated driver.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I recall an X-Men issue in the Australian era, titled "Men!" It was, among other things, a parody of DC's then-recent Invasion! crossover. Anyways, Logan and Havok are drinking and Havok says he's going to drink Wolverine under the table and Logan explains that thanks to his healing factor, he doesn't "get that drunk." So the implication was that he can get a good buzz on, but he has to work hard at it and it doesn't last very long.

Between then and now Wolverine's healing factor has gone up and down in power level, mind you, so who knows?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anyone remember that Brand New Day era Spider-Man story where Logan tricks Spidey into hanging out with him on his birthday by saying he's tracking some bad guy at a bar? Wolverine gets wasted for like a minute before sobering up. It was a great gag.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
When he lost his healing factor after Fatal Attractions he turned into a lightweight and got black out drunk after a few beers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Has there ever been a storyline where a hero with a healing factor has been kidnapped and their organs/blood constantly harvested?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There was a Wolverine story where he kept being infected with various diseases to get the immunizations his body created. It was all so the guy that kidnapped him could use those to create ever more deadly diseases.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In the Secret Wars Marvel Zombies, there was a crew of zombies eating Deadpool.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ultragonk posted:

Has there ever been a storyline where a hero with a healing factor has been kidnapped and their organs/blood constantly harvested?

I could swear I saw a couple of pages posted about just that thing in one of the panel-posting threads.

Boy, that's a helpful piece of information I just posted. :cripes:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

That was actually a big plot point in the current Deadpool series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ultragonk posted:

Read the last volume of Deadpool

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

I could swear I saw a couple of pages posted about just that thing in one of the panel-posting threads.

Hey they can't all be gold medals and you did narrow down the threads.

Senor Candle posted:

That was actually a big plot point in the current Deadpool series.

bobkatt013 posted:

Read the last volume of Deadpool

To Deadpool!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

prefect posted:

It was Empowered I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

There was one comic, not by the big 2, with a female superhero who was in exactly that kind of situation. I want to say it was voluntary...?