Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

Kudelia returning to her "I'm so useless! :cry:" state is kind of annoying, though.

It lasts for one scene in this episode, it's a consistent part of her character, and the show has already made it clear that her getting over that is going to be her major character arc, so it seems fine to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It lasts for one scene in this episode, it's a consistent part of her character, and the show has already made it clear that her getting over that is going to be her major character arc, so it seems fine to me.

It's mostly that she already had a big epiphany about it before and resolved to start doing what she could rather than deciding to mope about what she couldn't(which is what led to her teaching the kids to read), and I was hoping that resolution would stick and we'd see her being more assertive.

I would bet we're going to be getting some Kudelia/Merribit interactions since the show seems to be set on playing up Merribit as the omni-competent and mature professional woman.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tae posted:

Their ship isn't faster. Remember the whole reason why Tekkadan are fighting the pirates in the first place? It's because they had to take the super long way around because Ghallaron controls most of the easy routes to Earth.

By they, I meant the setting in general, not the Tekkadan kids specifically - hence why I mentioned the speed at which Fareed and Gaelio had travelled between Earth and Mars. The Tekkadan kids have had to take a longer route that went out towards Jupiter and then back towards Earth from there, but the Gjallarhorn folks took a much straighter route and were noted to have made the round trip in roughly 3 months by Gaelio's sister. Which works out to about .1% C (I think). Which is pretty drat fast. For reference, the fastest man made object ever (the Helios 2 probe) goes about 0.00023% C. It works out faster than anything else in the franchise as far as I'm aware - bar perhaps the ships in G-Reco. Which I thought was kind of funny given how relatively long and involved the show is making the journey seem compared to many other shows in the franchise, which skip over such distances in an episode or two to move things along.

Edit: After thinking about it more, A Wakening of the Trailblazer had the cast travel out to Mars pretty sharpish too if I recall so that could be an exception too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Green Intern posted:

Kudal is reminding me of Busuzima from Bloody Roar so hard.

I miss Bloody Roar so hard.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kanos posted:

It's mostly that she already had a big epiphany about it before and resolved to start doing what she could rather than deciding to mope about what she couldn't(which is what led to her teaching the kids to read), and I was hoping that resolution would stick and we'd see her being more assertive.

Well, the main difference between this instance and her past instances of moping over being useless is that in the past she just kind of stood around and did nothing. Here, she was actually attempting to be useful for once and was shoved aside as someone with more expertise took over. It's a bit of a blow to the old self esteem when you resolve to make yourself useful in some capacity and are immediately upstaged by someone better at it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Not to mention she was all gung-ho about helping, then saw a dude who was leaking profusely from his chest and realized "oh gently caress I don't even know where to start." Watching a guy nearly die and realizing you couldn't do much about it is a bit of a downer.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Erik Scott Kimerer will be Biscuit's English VA.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

merribit is a cougar and she's hunting orga

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As she should be

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the Barbatos's fifth form has been revealed, and... uhh... I think we know what happens to the Gusion now. :stare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's... really ugly. Which I'm okay with from a plot perspective but man.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That's... really ugly. Which I'm okay with from a plot perspective but man.

In some ways, though, I feel that's to its advantage. It really does look like Mika has flayed the Gusion alive and decorated the Barbatos with its shredded hide. :unsmigghh:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
:laffo: Monster Hunter, Gundam Edition.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

So the Barbatos's fifth form has been revealed, and... uhh... I think we know what happens to the Gusion now. :stare:

:rip: Frog Gundam, you were too good for this world.

Kanos posted:

:laffo: Monster Hunter, Gundam Edition.

I'm okay with this and sort of disappointed they're not doing more with the concept since it was brought up as part of the show premise.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wish they'd at least paint it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i wish they'd at least paint it

Looks like a temporary fix. Remember how it took them a couple of episodes to paint those Graze shoulderpads they stuck on the Barbatos?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I don't even know what distinctions they're making for Barbatos to have had 4 forms already. All I can remember are no shoulder pads, small square shoulder pads, and now round shoulder pads.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

I don't even know what distinctions they're making for Barbatos to have had 4 forms already. All I can remember are no shoulder pads, small square shoulder pads, and now round shoulder pads.

They're calling every single new upgrade a "new form" since one of the gimmicks was that it salvages components from fallen enemy MSes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Barbatos Form 1: What it launched with
Barbatos Form 2: Graze parts added
Barbatos Form 3: Purple arm-spike from Schwalbe Graze added.
Barbatos Form 4: Pure Nippon Katana Yazuka Upgrade.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Was not expecting Full ArmorGuison Armor Barbatos at all. Hopefully the Guison's hammer lives on as well and isn't abandoned in a ditch to wither away.

But, as was said earlier:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:rip: Frog Gundam, you were too good for this world.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Was not expecting Full ArmorGuison Armor Barbatos at all. Hopefully the Guison's hammer lives on as well and isn't abandoned in a ditch to wither away.

Gonna laugh if Mika picks the hammer up, goes "oh, this is much better" and throws the loving katana in the trash where it belongs. It'd be perfectly in-character after the sword bit in last episode!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Link doesn't work. Anyone have a picture?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

Link doesn't work. Anyone have a picture?

Apparently it was fake.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently it was fake.

Thats lame as gently caress, I kinda liked the stupid green bits

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fun with kitbashing when you've got inner frames.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

She's going to meet with one economic block's leader in particular, the old dude who looks like a Buddhist monk, who is Arbrau's leader. This is because the region of Mars that she and CGS are from belongs to Arbrau specifically...

...Per Teiwaz' boss, Arbrau granting real independence to their part of Mars is likely to ignite a wave of similar decolonisation movements and cause open war between the economic blocks by destabilising the already-fragile peace on Earth.
In particular, I got the impression that the important point is that she's doing an end-run around Gjallarhorn to speak with one of the Earth blocs directly, when a big part of how Gjallarhorn has enforced peace for the past few centuries is that they played go-between on any international and inter-sphere issues and prevented the powers from making deals on the side. One of the blocs attempting to independently carry out foreign policy is thus a direct challenge to the entire post-war system.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:agreed:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Iron Blooded Orphans is hands down my favorite Gundam ever so far, which is saying a lot. I'm really blown away considering how little I was interested before, but since the incredible ending of the first episode I've been completely hooked.

I don't really like the new woman on board, but maybe she'll develop into someone more interesting.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

WickedHate posted:

I don't really like the new woman on board, but maybe she'll develop into someone more interesting.

The only thing about her I don't like is that her character design reminds me of Nina Purpleton and it keeps triggering me.

Other than that, I don't have any problems with her so far.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
She's just so boring, and I'm really not looking forward to a potential romance between her and Orga. She feels like the phrase "no homo" personified. I don't even see Orga as gay but it seems like her only purpose from a narrative standpoint is one of the writers saying "where is this virile manly man's obligatory chick?". But IBO is so good I have faith it can throw me for a loop and have her pay off in an unexpected way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really don't think there's going to be a romance between Merribit and Orga.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What? I don't see that at all. She's here to help continue to slap Orga up the head with reality (no ship's doctor? really?) and be another adult voice of reason. If she winds up in a romance with anyone I will be incredibly disappointed with the show, as that would come out of nowhere.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It seemed telegraphed in some of their interactions, but I'll be happy to be wrong.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This sounds better than Reconguista in G so given my Gundam needs I suppose I'll have to watch it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

W.T. Fits posted:

The only thing about her I don't like is that her character design reminds me of Nina Purpleton and it keeps triggering me.

At least it wasn't just me

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The most that'll happen is she turns out to be his first crush and then when he confesses she turns him down with a laugh and a comment about him being 16.

I don't really see that happening either, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans is hands down my favorite Gundam ever so far, which is saying a lot. I'm really blown away considering how little I was interested before, but since the incredible ending of the first episode I've been completely hooked.

Her job is pushing Orga's boundaries in several different ways, particularly in challenging his vision for Tekkadan. For him, it's a small band of ex-CGS blood-brothers, with an emphasis in the 'brother' - it's been a recurring thing for Orga that he isn't all that comfortable around or confident in women. He'll hire them for minor roles, like Atra and Fumitan, but there isn't much evidence that he sees them as part of the family (see his 'we're all men' comment to Merribit), and he doesn't appear to have much faith in Kudelia's mission - to him, she's an employer who can put Tekkadan on the road to profitability, not a potential saviour who can eliminate the need for children to work as mercenaries altogether. Now he has a highly skilled, competent woman who he has to deal with on a regular basis and treat as something approaching an equal, and he's not taking it well.

I'll do a bigger effortpost when I'm more sure of where the show is going, but so far, it seems rather like one of the things it's is trying for is to dismantle the idea of the brotherhood of beautiful child-martyrs that Nazi propaganda in particular was so fond of. For instance, there's the fact that the sleazy, shady, and generally unpleasant puppetmaster Nobliss is actively trying to push Tekkadan into exactly that role, there's the way that the female lead is being built up as the only one who can offer a long-term solution, lead the boys to it, and keep them alive on the journey (misogyny was so key to fascist art that the proto-fascist Futurist Manifesto listed 'contempt for women' as one of its highest aesthetic values), and there's also the way that death in this show hasn't ever been romanticised (a key element of fascist propaganda- you'd be surprised by how many Nazi films made a heroic death their happy ending). It looks like Merribit is going to be another key part of that criticism, which is pretty fun.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

My initial reading of Merribit was that she was going to be Teiwaz' way of binding Tekkadan fully to their larger organization. Naze's got all of his wives, some of which wait securely at home for his return along with his children, and he gets along spectacularly with his boss. Why not let Orga, now that he's One of the Boys, have someone that can rein him in if necessary? Even if McMurdo isn't intending to backstab Tekkadan or anything, it's one of those things that just seemed to make sense, given their particular idea of family. Merribit as a challenger to Orga's ideas of his role as leader is something I like much better, though - so he wants to be a father to his men? He better start acting like it then, because being the ice-cool big bro doesn't cut it when he's playing at the level he is at.

It's funny how that puts him in contrast to Mika, who for all of his own issues becomes interestingly self-conscious (literally aware of himself, as someone else put it earlier) when around women.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Merribit is an adult woman who treats Orga like a child, and thereby reminds him of his own childishness which he's been trying to avoid. Naze is a manly big-brother type who he can respect, but Merribit makes it very difficult for him by not being manly at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Clarste posted:

Merribit is an adult woman who treats Orga like a child, and thereby reminds him of his own childishness which he's been trying to avoid. Naze is a manly big-brother type who he can respect, but Merribit makes it very difficult for him by not being manly at all.

:agreed:

• Locked thread