Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

radical meme posted:

Can someone explain this historical racing controversy to me? I understand the legislatures point of view on it; claiming the Racing Commission overstepped it's authority which was also the ruling by a District Court. I don't understand why the horse people are so adamant about wanting it or why the Commission has decided this is the hill they are going to die on. I also don't understand the whole argument about how repealing something that wasn't legal for decades is going to destroy racing in Texas. The whole idea of historical racing seems like bullshit to me. Where's the fun in loosing your drat money on a computer generated race? It's almost like betting on that arcade race you find on the midway at the State Fair.

I'm equally confused as you but my guess is that the horse people want to allow 'historical racing' so that they can make money by allowing people to bet on more things without having to put on more races. Instead of going to the tracks and only betting on the day's races, you could also play horsey slots. I assume the track owners or whoever just want to milk more money from people with gambling addictions.

As someone who is not a fan of gambling in general, I wouldn't shed a tear if this destroyed racing in Texas (it won't).

e: The general history of 'historical racing' or 'instant racing' seems to be nothing other than similar legal controversies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Racing#History

Wyoming Supreme Court posted:

a slot machine that attempts to mimic traditional pari-mutuel wagering

karlor fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My sense is that it's a proxy for a broader argument about gaming in Texas. Because of our political landscape, pretty much the only tenable source of new revenue is gambling, but there is a strong anti-gambling contingent in the Legislature. The biggest obstacle is Jane Nelson in the Senate, who has a standing threat to filibuster any gambling legislation that comes to that chamber. The directive about historical racing came from her and she used her position as chair of Finance to zero out the Racing Commission in the original budget document and kept it from getting funding all session.

At the same time a lot of interests are pushing for legalized or at least relaxed gaming, a lot of money is being spent on lobbying, and I'd be shocked if there wasn't some connection between horse racing people and legal gambling people.

A lot of it also is turf bullshit, the Lege wants to make sure agencies know what side their bread is buttered on.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Yea, Historical Racing is basically just a slot machine/skinner box, so it's a huge cash cow. Apparently there are a number of race tracks aren't doing that well and are hoping this will change their fortunes by getting the retirees from North Texas who go to Windstar for the day to stay in town and hit the track instead. They seem to forget that part of the appeal of going to Windstar to gamble is that it's a micro-vacation, it's not a pure gambling thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
What if I wish him a Chappy Chanukkah?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As it turned out the absolute best way to ensure that the maximum number of people told him everything but Merry Christmas was to post that status.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

If one more person says Happy New Year to me I might just slap them. Either tell me "Merry Gregorian Calendar Turnover" or just don't say anything.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Satisfying Saturnalia

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Because I want to be arrested for assault"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mother of god

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/12/18/patrick-appoints-allen-west-former-florida-congres/

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I keep forgetting Dan Patrick was a wingnut radio star :suicide:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Shoulda checked here first, just went to post that in the November thread.

Texans sure have been trying to look worse than Florida the past few years and it's getting close to working. If the oil business keeps falling apart we're going to turn into Kansas.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Happy Pancha Ganapati. :getin:

Ganesh is frankly a very Republican deity - god of luck, entrepreneurship, and business (but I repeat myself).

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

Shoulda checked here first, just went to post that in the November thread.

Texans sure have been trying to look worse than Florida the past few years and it's getting close to working. If the oil business keeps falling apart we're going to turn into Kansas.

Honestly, the oil business is already falling apart, but it isn't hurting the state's economy that much. We've diversified our economy enough with tech and such that another 80s-style oil crash won't send the house of cards tumbling.

Which is why things are going to get even crazier. Texas is already a really low-service state, there's not much for the state government to be able to gently caress up for people. And even the problems caused by our faltering primary education system are off-set (slightly) by the number of people moving here.

That means we can have absolute maniacs running the controls and it will take them a long, long time to actually gently caress things up enough to get people to care. Or worse, as the state fucks things up they'll just blame the feds and people will buy it. ("You can't afford insurance because Obamacare is bad, not because we refused to raise the medicare ceiling!")

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

she retweeted kylejack :eyepop:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Strickland just wanted to partake of "da green".

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/politics/article/Report-North-Texas-state-representative-sought-6725782.php

MySA readers demand the same digging be done of some Democrat that doesn't hold any real position.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 30, 2015

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/politics/article/Report-North-Texas-state-representative-sought-6725782.php

MySA readers demand the same digging be done of some Democrat that doesn't hold any real position.

TCC is leaking (into the state legislature).

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

So, what influence does a Texan vote hold in the Democratic primary in March?

Also, do you have to be a registered Democrat to vote in it?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 30, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

smoobles posted:

So, what influence does a Texan vote hold in the Democratic primary in March?

Also, do you have to be a registered Democrat to vote in it?

Unless its like last time, we have no influence. We have an open primary, so you can vote in either one.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
No influence in the election process. A true Democracy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nonsense posted:

:laffo:

quote:

Tea4TX Rank 32
He should consult with our pothead President. You remember 'Choom Gang' leader Barack Obama right? Just look at my avatar in case you doubt this is true. That is all he succeeded at in college.

Bonus:

quote:

Camino Rank 212

@Stout
Obama even has smoked CRACK COCAINE.

D͚̦͕̮E̟͓̺̪͍H̷̱͙̫̳ͅU̦̲͠M̞͝À̯͍̦̳ͅN̞̠͠I̷̖Z̟E͇̘̮̜̤ͅ ̩͜Y̲̖ͅͅÓ͍̝̲U̬͕̳̰͉͡Ṟ̮̦̭̹ͅS҉̣͙̰̲͍̦̝E̙̫̝̮͓̰L͇͈̱̣F̷̯̤̖͎̳ ̼͍͎A̝͚̱̰ͅN̵̟̱̦͚D҉̖̮̙ ̸̖͎̖̠̞̯ͅF̯͍͈̦͓A҉̞̦̮̬͇C̩̗͖͡ͅE͙̘̞̰̱̩ ̲͙͈̦͙̣́T̟̭̙̖O̺̮ ̟͍̹̟̪TE̶͕̗̼̫X̯̩̪̣͕̜̦A͎͔̮͚̜̟̼S̛̲͈̱̮ ͔͙͎̪̝̯Ḏ̯̪͚̣̠E̠̠H̱U̳M̨AN͍͕͢I͈͕̯̗Z̙E̜̥̠̮̦̝̩͞ ̘̞͎̻͙͟Y̩͟O̙͙̣̻̰̖U̳͍͎̭R̠̻S͍E͎̰̲̼L̰̼̹̼̤̲͝F̸̘͓̪ ͔͉̤̣ÀN͓D͕͉̪̦͞ ̱͠FA̸̞̭̟͈C̶̰̲̫̣̫E͞ ͙T̞̬O͈ ̻̙͘T̜̫͎̜̯̲̳EX̰̗̫͙A͇̯͎̜̪S͟ ͏͇̗̜

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 30, 2015

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nonsense posted:

"In 2008, Strickland, using the same username as the marijuana posts, wrote, "Rape is non existent (sic) in marriage, take what you want my friend!""

Why is that not the focus of the article, not the fact that the guy smokes weed.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Reik posted:

"In 2008, Strickland, using the same username as the marijuana posts, wrote, "Rape is non existent (sic) in marriage, take what you want my friend!""

Why is that not the focus of the article, not the fact that the guy smokes weed.

Because conservatives would agree with the idea that women submit (and therefore consent) to their husbands when they get married.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

blackguy32 posted:

Unless its like last time, we have no influence. We have an open primary, so you can vote in either one.

...but if you vote in one party's primary you lose the ability to attend the precinct meeting of the other party (or vote in the other party's run-off primary if they should have one).

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Reik posted:

It seems like the rape comments are now starting to make the headlines now, too. Also, it's good to hear that he's starting to face some consequences for this, as his primary election just got a whole lot more competitive.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

e_angst posted:

It seems like the rape comments are now starting to make the headlines now, too. Also, it's good to hear that he's starting to face some consequences for this, as his primary election just got a whole lot more competitive.

I'm willing to bet Cathie Adams still gives President Obama poo poo for the things he did in his past. And then the rape comments were made in 2008, and some fools are trying to make it seem as though he had that opinion in 1970 or some poo poo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Parties for the next mayor are tomorrow and Monday, if anyone in town wants to get down with some City Council interns.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

And Turner is in.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:toot: Hurray

Can't wait to see how things fall apart over the next year.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Looks like that Houston mosque fire was perpetrated by one of it's members who tried to make it look like a hate crime.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Oh good, now I get to hear people using that to justify all kinds of dumb racist bullshit for the next few decades.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh good, now I get to hear people using that to justify all kinds of dumb racist bullshit for the next few decades.

I gotta be honest, this is a much better outcome than if it actually had been a hate crime.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Harris County's bail bond system sucks rear end y'all

quote:

"The numbers clearly tell the story: More than three-fourths of the people in Harris County Jail haven't been convicted of crime, and the majority of them are sitting in jail simply because they can't afford to get out — not because they're a threat to public safety," state Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, told the Houston Chronicle (http://bit.ly/1PzqFi5 ). "This means the indigent are more likely to be kept in jail pretrial, lose their jobs, affect their family lives, and receive harsher sentences solely because of their income status."

Harris County locks up more people pretrial than most other large counties utilizing a standardized schedule that sets bond amounts for specific crimes. Magistrates makes bond decisions based almost entirely on charges filed and prior convictions in hearings via video linkup at which few questions are asked and defendants have no attorneys — a process the county's public defender has described as potentially illegal in an upcoming law journal article.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Sticky might lose this one guys.

This is one about soliciting prostitutes, to add to the one about where to buy weed and the one about how marital rape cannot exist.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

How are we supposed to clean up the streets if we aren't able to keep people in jail just because they're poor?

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
In news that should surprise no one at all, it turns out that with Texas's Stand Your Ground law you can post anti-Muslim hate speech for years, gun down a Muslim in a road rage incident, and get no-billed by a grand jury. On a similar subject, how much open carry have people been seeing out there? I haven't seen any yet, but I also haven't gone anywhere remotely crowded in the New Year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zero. Turns out the major reason for going around open carrying was to demonstrate in favor of its legalization.

Here's a list of Austin restaurants that are banning open carry.
https://sso.cmgdigital.com/static/s...f-open-carry%2F

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

zoux posted:

Zero. Turns out the major reason for going around open carrying was to demonstrate in favor of its legalization.

Here's a list of Austin restaurants that are banning open carry.
https://sso.cmgdigital.com/static/s...f-open-carry%2F

Could you check your link again? I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Svanja posted:

Could you check your link again? I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!

https://gunfreebusinesses.wordpress.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't expect a whole lot of people to open carry. It's only legal for CHL holders, so it's like an invitation for a cop to stop you and ask for your licence. And if you already carry concealed, why buy a new holster just to get hassled by the cops?