Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vintersorg posted:

So is Max Von Sydow going to have a bigger role? Seemed a waste to cast such a huge name.

He died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Water Sheep
Jan 6, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Are the first order guys actually nazis in their ideology though, or are they just borrowing Triumph Of The Will imagery to make them look bad?

Because, you know, the end of A New Hope.

That speech was great, and the climax of the anti-Prequels revisionism. "Down with the Republic! Down with the Senate!" they might as well have added "And down with one annoying Gungan in particular!"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

So is Max Von Sydow going to have a bigger role? Seemed a waste to cast such a huge name.

I really, really doubt it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh yah :3:

I thought it would be some weird force ghost thing later on.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This reminded me a lot of Trek 09. It's a pseudo-reboot designed to technically maintain the old continuity but clear out a lot of the cruft and make way for new characters, with a borrowed plot that mostly just hits the basic notes from an earlier entry in the series and exists as a framework for making the transition happen rather than being captivating in and of itself. Now that the new continuity is set up, hopefully their attempt to tell a story in it doesn't go as disastrously as Into Darkness did.

Alec Eiffel posted:

There's a thread in CineD that is devoted to Star Wars spoilers, so why are people surprised that FYAD would post Star Wars spoilers? Seems like that thread shouldn't have been made in the first place.

It's not surprising that FYAD continues to act like an edgy 14 year old on 4chan, but it'd still be nice if they'd at least try to make their trolling funny.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

First Order is ISIS

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Thoughts on Rey's origins:

I was thinking that Luke took Rey and left her on Jakku, but I've just been reminded of some other clues that got me thinking. Maz tells Rey that the people who left her on Jakku are never coming back, but someone else might—and Rey immediately jumps to "Luke." Also, the flashback shows younger Rey getting left with the junk dealer, who's not the kindly surrogate parent type. So I don't think it was Luke who put her there.

When Kylo hears that a girl on Jakku has been spotted with BB-8, he rages. He has already jumped to the conclusion that Rey found the droid, which makes me think that not only did Kylo know of Rey before, he knew that she was on Jakku.

So I suspect it was Kylo who took Rey when he attacked Luke's new academy. Even though he hates what Rey represents, he can't bring himself to kill someone in the exalted Skywalker bloodline. He abandons her on some godforsaken backwater instead.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

First Order is ISIS

That would have been so much cooler if they had ISIS inspired imagery and costumes.

drat.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It's a pretty good Star Wars movie, I guess, but I'm still not sure if it's actually a good movie on its own. Probably yes. It was fun. I was entertained.

I did have a problem with one thing: I really think it was a mistake to see Snoke. We first see him at a point in the movie where the pace was letting up after the initial action, and Snoke's introduction just totally fell flat for me. I didn't really think the CG was good (even though I figured it was probably a hologram and not a 90 foot tall alien). Basically, save seeing Snoke for ep 8, and let the bad guys talk to a shadowy figure whom we can't really see, so as to keep the whole thing "real" for now

On that, I didn't like the little alien barkeep woman. Another case of really not that great CG. Also kind of a dumb character.... Who the heck leaves THE FABLED LUKE SKYWALKER'S PERSONAL LIGHTSABER laying around in the store room where any drunk patron could stumble across it?? Dumb.

Also, lol, some say Skywalker is staring at Rey hold out his lightsaber to him from 20 feet away to this very day.

E: one more gripe. Apparently any old GI Joe can pick up a lightsaber and not be immediately murdered by a sith who presumably had training? I know Finn is a soldier, but c'mon. Also, being untrained with a lightsaber in a battle vs stormtroopers is not a great place to be. The guy that fought him with the sparkly bar thing could've just shot him. Even Luke, a Jedi, need training to deflect blaster bolts. It's not like I'm mad about it, but still.

I did appreciate that the characters repeated their names to each other: "Who are you? I'm Finn. Hi Finn, I'm Rey. Hi Rey." etc. I need that as a guy who has trouble understanding movie dialog occasionally and hates not knowing the characters names. No problem with that here.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That would have been so much cooler if they had ISIS inspired imagery and costumes.

drat.

No way, I loved the 70s-Death Star-inspired Starkiller interiors. Those rounded vertical light panels! Ah! Love it.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 18, 2015

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I know a lot of people have said they're disappointed by the music, but I really like Rey's theme.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I was thinking Snoke might be a Wizard of Oz case where when you go see him in person he doesn't look the same at all, like he could actually be a human or something else.

Though this might just be wishful thinking so that I don't have to put up with a skinny Thanos creature for the rest of the movies.
:smith:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zoran posted:

I was thinking that Luke took Rey and left her on Jakku, but I've just been reminded of some other clues that got me thinking. Maz tells Rey that the people who left her on Jakku are never coming back, but someone else might—and Rey immediately jumps to "Luke." Also, the flashback shows younger Rey getting left with the junk dealer, who's not the kindly surrogate parent type. So I don't think it was Luke who put her there.

When Kylo hears that a girl on Jakku has been spotted with BB-8, he rages. He has already jumped to the conclusion that Rey found the droid, which makes me think that not only did Kylo know of Rey before, he knew that she was on Jakku.

So I suspect it was Kylo who took Rey when he attacked Luke's new academy. Even though he hates what Rey represents, he can't bring himself to kill someone in the exalted Skywalker bloodline. He abandons her on some godforsaken backwater instead.

I like it. It also fits with his efforts to turn her rather than kill her. There has to be more to him doing that than just because she has Force powers considering he wiped out the rest of the Force users. I mean maybe he tried to convert them first or maybe he finally feels ready to kill Snoke and take his own apprentice, but I feel like the Star Wars universe is too convenient for there not to be a bigger reason.

turtlecrunch posted:

I was thinking Snoke might be a Wizard of Oz case where when you go see him in person he doesn't look the same at all, like he could actually be a human or something else.

Though this might just be wishful thinking so that I don't have to put up with a skinny Thanos creature for the rest of the movies.
:smith:

I bet he looks like that but is actually like two feet tall and has crazy strong Force powers. Sith Yoda.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Diabolik900 posted:

I know a lot of people have said they're disappointed by the music, but I really like Rey's theme.

After listening to the OST album I LOVE Rey's theme, Scavenger, Kylo's Arrival, and the reintroduction of Rey's theme in the finale.

Factor Mystic posted:

On that, I didn't like the little alien barkeep woman. Another case of really not that great CG. Also kind of a dumb character.... Who the heck leaves THE FABLED LUKE SKYWALKER'S PERSONAL LIGHTSABER laying around in the store room where any drunk patron could stumble across it?? Dumb.

It was in a locked room which unlocked itself because of ~The Force~

I bet he looks like that but is actually like two feet tall and has crazy strong Force powers. Sith Yoda.

100% this

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 18, 2015

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Good to see this silly narrative is still going strong:

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/18/10561492/star-wars-conspiracy-theories

quote:

3) George Lucas created the special editions and prequels to prove to his ex-wife that he was the real genius behind Star Wars, not her

Marcia Lucas saved Star Wars. Back before it became the juggernaut of a franchise it is today, the original film was a bloated mess, swollen in all the wrong places and lacking in all the right ones. But Lucas, George's now ex-wife (they were married while she edited Star Wars), was a brilliant editor who gave the movie some of its most memorable moments. Case in point: Marcia Lucas came up with the idea to kill Obi-Wan. George told Rolling Stone:

Anyway, I was rewriting, I was struggling with that plot problem when my wife suggested that I kill off Ben, which she thought was a pretty outrageous idea, and I said, "Well, that is an interesting idea, and I had been thinking about it."

That Marcia doesn't get enough credit for this plot point is a travesty on its own. But the conspiracy theory here is that after they divorced, George was bitter and resented the fact that his masterpiece was more her vision than his. This is why there are special editions of the first film that have cut out some of the scenes she edited, and why its story structure was changed. George's bitterness is also a possible explanation for why the prequels are bad movies: He created stuff that went against his wife's aesthetics and storytelling.

Believability: 6/10. The prequels were pretty terrible, and this is as good as any explanation of why they were so terrible, but it seems a little too mean and poetic to be completely real.

Note: The only scenes George cut out that Marcia edited were the ones with Luke and his friends on Tatooine that everyone seems to universally agree are bad. And that was obviously for the original release, not the Special Edition.

And LOL at "Believability: 6/10" for such a blatantly nonsensical conspiracy theory.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 18, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It was in a locked room which unlocked itself because of ~The Force~

If this is what happened it was pretty unclear and also that's still pretty dumb, sorry.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Double post.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Factor Mystic posted:

If this is what happened it was pretty unclear and also that's still pretty dumb, sorry.

It was, it was totally clear, and I'm sorry I guess?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cnut the Great posted:

Good to see this silly narrative is still going strong:

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/18/10561492/star-wars-conspiracy-theories

Note: The only scenes George cut out that Marcia edited were the ones with Luke and his friends on Tatooine that everyone seems to universally agree are bad. And that was obviously for the original release, not the Special Edition.

And LOL at "Believability: 6/10" for such a blatantly nonsensical conspiracy theory.

Whoa, that whole article is nottheonion.txt

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Zoran posted:

I don't think it takes that much to set Kylo off. My take was that he was just super frustrated after one more complication; he's got a stormtrooper traitor, he's lost the droid and now some random girl is getting involved. I can practically hear him thinking "Vader didn't have to put up with this poo poo, it's not fair!"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

That would be a bad idea because then everyone would laugh at the character for his Napoleon complex. Remember Lord Farquaad?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There are some folks asking about 3D, and I just want to lend my two cents: I say SKIP IT, go with 2D. The movie was darkened and really affected scenes set in space, at night, most indoor scenes... hell pretty much any scene not set in the scorching daylight of the desert. I felt like I missed a lot of details, but worse is I'm not even sure if I missed details (for instance, I could have sworn in the lightsaber fight people were getting limbs chopped off left and right, but I guess not? Or else these characters have limb-regenerating abilities, I don't have any idea what the hell happened during that lightsaber-enduced hallucination scene, I think the planets-blowing up scene was even more confusing to me than most here and even worse than possibly missing plot details, during indoor Star Destroyer scenes I almost felt more like I was watching an Alien movie than a Star Wars one. In fact, I have a hard time even recalling certain scenes visually and generally feel like I saw the movie through a thick fog.

It could have been my theater not doing their job and properly brightening the screen (this was by far my worst 3D experience), but if you're concerned I say don't take the chance. It absolutely affected my enjoyment of the movie and I'm even contemplating giving the movie another shot in 2D partly because the main reason I found the movie disappointing - it didn't "feel" like a Star Wars movie to me - hasn't been echoed by literally anyone else I've heard from who saw it elsewhere.

The couple nifty 3D bits - the opening crawl and a "Star Destroyer poking out of the screen" moment that had some folks reaching up to try to touch it - aren't enough to make it worth it, IMO.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I got to "as any good student of Mao knows,"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

E: one more gripe. Apparently any old GI Joe can pick up a lightsaber and not be immediately murdered by a sith who presumably had training?

I like just recently posted about people like you blowing my mind. [spoiler]They made a point to show that Ren was severly injured from his bowcaster hit. They even focused on his bleeding and he kept on having to hit himself to keep himself in the fight.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

The Dave posted:

I like just recently posted about people like you blowing my mind. They made a point to show that Ren was severly injured from his bowcaster hit. They even focused on his bleeding and he kept on having to hit himself to keep himself in the fight.

And yet, it didn't seem to actually stop him from doing his thing. No real sense that he was impaired. No apparent loss of strength.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
jesus cristo, spoiler tags are not that difficult to use

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also it's clearly shown that the new Stormtroopers have Melee training as shown when that Stormtrooper gets in melee combat with Finn, which was like in the Trailer.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Kurzon posted:

That would be a bad idea because then everyone would laugh at the character for his Napoleon complex. Remember Lord Farquaad?
Hoping Snoke is an actual giant, but in the 8 to 10 foot range instead of the monstrosity depicted by the hologram.

I already have an image of this towering yet sickly figure rising from his throne to ignite a BFS.

Prepare to die.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My hot take on the 2D vs. 3D question: if you normally like seeing movies in 3D, see this in 3D. If you don't, then you should just see it in 2D.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

And yet, it didn't seem to actually stop him from doing his thing. No real sense that he was impaired. No apparent loss of strength.

Bro, he just got shot in the gut by a weapon repeatedly shown to blow people across the room, is bleeding everywhere, is kind of hobbling and regularly making pained noises, what do you want? Do you need him to announce his current power level like he's a DBZ character or what?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dexo posted:

Also it's clearly shown that the new Stormtroopers have Melee training as shown when that Stormtrooper gets in melee combat with Finn, which was like in the Trailer.

I mean, it's a god drat sword just because you haven't picked one up before (which both character have been shown/implied to use melee weapons extensively) doesn't mean you're going to immediately lob your hand off. Or be unable to block some angry, hurting dweeblord a few times.

If anything you can whine about Rey's incredible aim for never having used a blaster before.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Your original complaint was him being stopped from doing his thing.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the most disappointing thing about abrams (and this new generation of sci-fi screen writers in general) is that he's so self-aware that we won't get another 'these are not the droids you're looking for'

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Factor Mystic posted:

Did you not see the pained expression on his face? The guy looked terrible throughout the whole duel. Come on now.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

lizardman posted:

There are some folks asking about 3D, and I just want to lend my two cents: I say SKIP IT, go with 2D. The movie was darkened and really affected scenes set in space, at night, most indoor scenes... hell pretty much any scene not set in the scorching daylight of the desert. I felt like I missed a lot of details, but worse is I'm not even sure if I missed details (for instance, I could have sworn in the lightsaber fight people were getting limbs chopped off left and right, but I guess not? Or else these characters have limb-regenerating abilities, I don't have any idea what the hell happened during that lightsaber-enduced hallucination scene, I think the planets-blowing up scene was even more confusing to me than most here and even worse than possibly missing plot details, during indoor Star Destroyer scenes I almost felt more like I was watching an Alien movie than a Star Wars one. In fact, I have a hard time even recalling certain scenes visually and generally feel like I saw the movie through a thick fog.

It could have been my theater not doing their job and properly brightening the screen (this was by far my worst 3D experience), but if you're concerned I say don't take the chance. It absolutely affected my enjoyment of the movie and I'm even contemplating giving the movie another shot in 2D partly because the main reason I found the movie disappointing - it didn't "feel" like a Star Wars movie to me - hasn't been echoed by literally anyone else I've heard from who saw it elsewhere.

The couple nifty 3D bits - the opening crawl and a "Star Destroyer poking out of the screen" moment that had some folks reaching up to try to touch it - aren't enough to make it worth it, IMO.

I don't know what terrible theater you saw it in but you must have some poo poo projectionist. That is not at all the experience I had in IMAX 3D.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I haven't read the whole thread, but I really enjoyed the cinematography in this. The shallow depth of field shots on real sets vs. just 100% "everything in focus" with the prequels was amazing. Practical sets really made a difference.

I sat down about ten minutes before the start time in my own mostly empty row... And then both sides of me were filled by the same combination: a mom and two kids under the age of five. I grimaced, but the kids were great, the moms were huge fans, and it was cool to look over occasionally and see a little kid watching his or her first Star Wars movie on the big screen. None of them flipped out even though there are some intense scenes.

After the prequels, and all of the animated crap, and what Star Wars has become... I was apprehensive but I laughed, I cried, and can't wait to see it again. As many have pointed out, there's way too much in this film to digest it in just one viewing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The prequels used mostly practical sets.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

The one that blows my mind most is that the ethereal Kamino throne room was a miniature.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bongo Bill posted:

So who do we blame for them mostly looking like poo poo? The DP? or George? Both? ILM?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Tech just wasn't there yet probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

benito posted:

After the prequels, and all of the animated crap, and what Star Wars has become...

Tartovsky whatchamacallit was fun enough.
Clone wars eventually got to decent so it's worth a glance on Netflix.
Rebels is actually great. Worth the bux on Amazon imo

• Locked thread