Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Elth posted:

Every time I've stumbled upon a Tavern, the booze was free. There was the curious lack of a tavern keeper and a few holes in the walls though.

Distilling accidents. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Elth posted:

Every time I've stumbled upon a Tavern, the booze was free. There was the curious lack of a tavern keeper and a few holes in the walls though.

They don't even appear to HAVE booze. Only tables, chairs and a chest full of instruments.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Lareine posted:

They don't even appear to HAVE booze. Only tables, chairs and a chest full of instruments.
Maybe they are like Vikings and store their booze in the horns.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

agreed, phoebus was what got me to give DF a second shot

now I don't need it anymore and can play with the ASCII just fine, but those icons were just the perfect mix of simplicity and descriptiveness

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be surprised if someone else didn't pick it up and keep it supported.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Demiurge4 posted:

Not to mention blunt or sharp/pointy teeth versions. Teeth made from sharpened steel are a hit with soldiers and courtesans.
Why...courtesans...?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I
big
butts and it is inevitable.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I've had an inordinate amount of random people exclaim "I'm feeling randy!" at me in adventure mode. That's not what I meant when I asked them to join me on an adventure. :(

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Elth posted:

I've had an inordinate amount of random people exclaim "I'm feeling randy!" at me in adventure mode. That's not what I meant when I asked them to join me on an adventure. :(

Human Lasher wishes to reside in <your fortress> for the purpose of "watch Netflix and Chill"

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Elth posted:

I've had children tell me that they were aroused after I told some ribaldrous poetry.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

What a badass. He killed my companion, and I decided to taunt him after chopping most of his limbs off. He was defiant to the end.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Elth posted:

What a badass. He killed my companion, and I decided to taunt him after chopping most of his limbs off. He was defiant to the end.

The swordsman has bled to death, you wretch.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Elth posted:

A murderer AND a killer? :monocle:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Zereth posted:

Hail Murder!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Zereth posted:

Well to be fair one had it coming and the other didn't.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Is RAM the most important thing needed to run Dwarf Fortress smoothly at high populations?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nah, it's the sheer brute processor brawn you can cram into a single core.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Toady posted:

Let's see... I cleaned up some long-standing problems with cities. In world generation, vampires would prey on cities and eventually stop them from getting beyond the smallest size. So we've got some cheery vampire purges now. I fixed some problems with sewer bandits causing them to have way too many stolen items or to be placed aboveground.

New bug-wise, I stopped the animal fights slowing down goblin towers and fixed a crash from trading goblets in saves loaded into 0.42.03 from older versions. And some other minor stuff.

Hopefully goblin towers may be slightly more navigable next time.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
adventures in modding: adding size difference between two different gender castes in a civ species results in the population gravitating towards the median size, with no respect for their starting value

god drat dwarf genetics

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

adventures in modding: adding size difference between two different gender castes in a civ species results in the population gravitating towards the median size, with no respect for their starting value

god drat dwarf genetics

Eh that's kind of broken, that sexual dimorphism can't work.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
http://imgur.com/hcxRKFM

I got attacked by a towering lyrebird with mandibles and poison blood.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^ that is excellent

nielsm posted:

Eh that's kind of broken, that sexual dimorphism can't work.

Nature is a feminazi :qqsay: :mrapig:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Managed to trap and train a dragon, but if I free it it appears he'll randomly breathe fire at my dwarves. I am guessing there's a startle or scare response when they see each other - any other clever way to use a dragon for defense? Maybe chain it in an enclosure near the entrance and forbid access to dwarves, hoping sieges path there?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Managed to trap and train a dragon, but if I free it it appears he'll randomly breathe fire at my dwarves. I am guessing there's a startle or scare response when they see each other - any other clever way to use a dragon for defense? Maybe chain it in an enclosure near the entrance and forbid access to dwarves, hoping sieges path there?

Dragon flame bunker.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Apparently the game doesn't check whether the contents of a mug are liquid when characters take a swig.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9371

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PublicOpinion posted:

Hopefully goblin towers may be slightly more navigable next time.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for that; the issue is that it tries to have 4000 trolls and 5000 goblins loaded up all at once. Even if they are just sitting still doing nothing it's a total laggy slideshow.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I just got invaded by a fire-breathing swamp titan who proceeded to merrily fly right over my surface fortifications. I got insanely lucky that most of the fight happened on top of a paved road where the fire couldn't spread, or I would have lost a lot more than merely five soldiers and a war dog to kill it. At least that should end the Age of the Hydra and the Swamp Titan.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

scamtank posted:

Nah, it's the sheer brute processor brawn you can cram into a single core.

Does that get fixed with 64 bit? Using more processors?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I don't think so. If I figure right, multithreading is one of those things that you need to lay into the foundation for it to make a real difference.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
50 years from now, the son of Toady will add multicore support to Dwarf Fortress.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Unfortunately, yeah. Multithreading is hard and boring to do properly. Doubly so if not done from the start.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

50 years from now, the son of Toady will add multicore support to Dwarf Fortress.

Toady doesn't go out much. He'll probably just make Dwarf Fortress self-aware so it can write itself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played DF in a few years but I'm interested in trying it again. Is adventure mode any fun? Or is everyone still playing fortress?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

This is a Masterwork Multicore Support Structure; All Codesmanship is of the Highest Quality.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Popete posted:

I haven't played DF in a few years but I'm interested in trying it again. Is adventure mode any fun? Or is everyone still playing fortress?

It is terrific.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elth posted:

Toady doesn't go out much. He'll probably just make Dwarf Fortress self-aware so it can write itself.

200 years from now someone will enter his apartment and discover that he rigged an elaborate machine to continue coding the game, operated by cats sustained on mountain dew.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Internet Kraken posted:

This would make for an interesting bet. What's more likely: Toady adds multicore support or Toady successfully talks to, courts, and eventually mates with a human female

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think Dwarf Fortress will be sentient and self improving by the time he dies. For all purposes the game will be his son. Although I can't think of the proper gender neutral noun for an alpha class AI.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hey, anybody else feeling adventurous? Quietust got the first pass of Windows globals mapped out and .03-flavored DFHack not only compiled, but it also runs without any immediate explosions. The most important bits (prospect, digv, reveal, workshop job tweaking UI, extra search parsers and other little things) seem to be working fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

scamtank posted:

Hey, anybody else feeling adventurous? Quietust got the first pass of Windows globals mapped out and .03-flavored DFHack not only compiled, but it also runs without any immediate explosions. The most important bits (prospect, digv, reveal, workshop job tweaking UI, extra search parsers and other little things) seem to be working fine.

Is the siege engine plugin working?