Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Peztopiary posted:

Like the Administratum won't bill your next of kin.

I neither trust that the admistratrum is efficient enough nor that 40k humans live long enough to make debt inheritance regular.

Ronwayne posted:

Its very Dues Ex in feel. "You're part of a major organisation, with helicopters, research labs, armouries and a team of a bionic super warriors. Fighting against a menace that threatens the country's entire way of life.Now, here is a small box of rifle ammunition. Don't use it all up at once, as that is all you are allowed."

administratum.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
"I'm in debt up to my eyeballs, which are also serving as collateral."

Go with a Rogue Trader for a lolbertarian angle, go with Administratum or Adeptus Mechanicus for a bureacratic style.

Ronwayne posted:

Its very Dues Ex in feel. "You're part of a major organisation, with helicopters, research labs, armouries and a team of a bionic super warriors. Fighting against a menace that threatens the country's entire way of life.Now, here is a small box of rifle ammunition. Don't use it all up at once, as that is all you are allowed."
roguetrader.txt
"No room in the budget, I needed it all to regild the ships thrusters and buy more cherubim to fart my praises."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

roguetrader.gifv at least from the npc's perspective

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, a rifle and a box of ammo is already advanced. Remember the days when vidja protags started with just a knife? At least in Call of Duty you get a rifle!

Why, one day we'll have videogames where helicopters don't get shot down all the time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The supply in DH1 sort of made sense if you ran the game on the basis that you were whatever worthless dregs the Inquisitor had decided to ram down a hole like canaries in a mine and see if your gruesome deaths turned up anything interesting. Sort of a 'if its nothing you'll be fine and if its something I just need to know to send in some real agents, so I'm not giving you anything worth losing'. Then the hardscrabble for gear is part of the survival panic.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Thats stupid because even at its lowest levels of resources you can get competent individuals. There is no reason for the inquisition to even bother with lvl 1 DH type people, other than psykers. I'm glad its dead and DH2 PCs are competent at the start.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The games I've played usually have you working for an interrogator rather than the inquisitor, who may not even know you exist. So you're not working for a guy who can necessarily even get you gear and even if so he can't risk the exposure of a group of bad dudes with thousands of rounds of bolter ammunition for guns that might be traceable back to him getting pinched. It's more "here's some walking around money, most of you are criminals so I'm sure you can get your hands on some hot guns"

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I want to GM a game of DH2 but I've never GM'd under any system before and the only person I know that has doesn't know 40k well enough to do it. Could somebody give me a few examples of how the requisition system works in practice? The book is somewhat vague.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

I want to GM a game of DH2 but I've never GM'd under any system before and the only person I know that has doesn't know 40k well enough to do it. Could somebody give me a few examples of how the requisition system works in practice? The book is somewhat vague.

Well that's because how it works is vague. Even if you've got a rock solid understanding of how the rolls work, the book doesn't really give you any guidance on how often players can make requisition tests, and while it notes that there are locational availability modifiers it doesn't really spell out what those are. In practice I think you want to give each character a set amount of "free" rolls for permanent gear upgrades during downtime as a sort of self-directed risk/reward progression system, while letting people roll for (reasonable) consumables and ad-hoc adventuring gear freely (and honestly I wouldn't even make them roll for regular ammunition). Despite the rolls being per player, feel free to let the party "face" acquire rolls on other players' behalfs- it keeps everyone on even footing and provides an extra niche within the party that will be highly appreciated by other players. I'd also be pretty free with locational modifiers based on population- if they're in a civilized and populated area, that should basically be an automatic +10/+20 to any requisition rolls they're making, and you should also feel free to give temporary bonuses to rolls for things like having achieved local favor with the nobility through their actions, having just looted a heretics cache of Thrones, or simply putting in a lot of footwork to source a particular item (and running it like this substantially cuts down on the "whiff" factor that early characters have). You can also take advantage of near misses to do things like offer players poor quality versions of the item they wanted, offer swaps for existing gear they value, or offer them shady/morally compromising deals.

Ultimately requisition is a really luck and GM-driven rewards system, but one that lets players signal the stuff that they actually want to you. Take advantage of this, and remember that you don't need to run everything through the requisition system- there's nothing stopping you from offering or rewarding them cool loot through conventional means. I think this is best done with stuff they wouldn't have tried to acquire otherwise, powerful gear that's also dangerous/heretical, and helping compensate for any particularly awful runs of luck to keep the game fun.

Oh and there's also Inquisitor Influence, but they should be rightly wary of invoking that unless they really need to. Treat that like a company credit card with an overzealous finance department that's going to want to see itemized receipts.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
If a player tries for something and fails consider giving it to a miniboss. Spoils of battle are more memorable than finally rolling well enough, and now you've got a potential recurring npc who wants their stuff back.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ghetto wormhole posted:

Like everything else in the game, it works by lying about dice rolls and then doing whatever you want.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
In our RT game the most common food/ammo/grenades/demo charges and stuff like that we have infinite amounts of on the ship and are assumed to get resupplied every time we get into port, with resource shortage only being a thing for narrative reasons, such as having been in space for a year without having gone anywhere civilised. Sometimes on acquisition tests, when it comes to quantity, we eyeball it at "that would be equipment for one person" so we'd use the single item modifier so you probably wouldn't buy just 1 grenade, but one person's reasonable allotment of grenades because it would have to be a pretty special grenade to bother rolling on the chart for just one.

If you want something and it's cool but impossible to get, see if you can make an endeavor/quest for it instead. Obtain other items and services and trade them instead of just rolling on the chart, it's more fun that way.

I think I'm just repeating the thing Mechafunkzilla said though, "feel free to ignore the rules and do whatever you want" seems to be the best advice for the 40k RPGs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

I think I'm just repeating the thing Mechafunkzilla said though, "feel free to ignore the rules and do whatever you want" seems to be the best advice for the 40k RPGs.

This, so much.

Though with what little RT I played, I rolled with the stuff I got during chargen. Carapace was good enough when you have a kroot and orc beatsticks taking the brunt of it... or just running away from stuff. Our GM kept pushing a recurring demon character on us, and we kept running away heroically.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My experience is purely with Black Crusade, but from that I'd say that the 40K RPGs are some of the worst-edited and organized RPGs I've ever played. I had to write a guide for my players just to teach them how to roll up a character. Badly organized RPGs like D&D 5E and Shadowrun 5E have nothing on Black Crusade, which references incorrect page numbers or things that don't exist elsewhere in the book all the time. The classes are so badly balanced it's pretty clear that balancing the classes wasn't even a design goal, and the splatbook classes are more godly yet. Most of them have skill bonuses that consist of a run-on sentence of skills that are not in the game. Fundamental subsystems like "how to accumulate items" are completely broken and unworkable--I essentially had to invent a drop system and tack it on to the game.

After 3-4 sessions we all gave up, because the basic game was "fly by the seat of your pants as both a player and GM, all the time." I could tell a reasonably good story as GM, but I can do that in any system. When you are completely ignoring the books because the resources you need are non-existent or awful, that means you are playing a real bad game.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I ran into that problem with Rogue Trader. There was so much stuff that required fixing and house ruling that past a point I just had no desire to run it anymore because I felt I had to design half the game myself as I go.

DH2 is a lot more tolerable although it's still not exactly good. I can't say I've ever played an RPG where I thought the ruleset was legitimately good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Elukka posted:

I ran into that problem with Rogue Trader. There was so much stuff that required fixing and house ruling that past a point I just had no desire to run it anymore because I felt I had to design half the game myself as I go.

DH2 is a lot more tolerable although it's still not exactly good. I can't say I've ever played an RPG where I thought the ruleset was legitimately good.

As a technical writer, I like to see manuals that tell you how to build characters in a sensible and obvious step-by-step process, without making you skip back and forth or hold one page open while you look at another. This is really obvious design and most games meet this minimum requirement.

With Shadowrun 5E, my group is pissed off by the needless granularity, hidden rules that completely change the gameplay, and tacked on controls to try to prevent any character from breaking anything, like the several layers of hard limits on the amount of successes you can get on a roll. But the game still largely works. In Black Crusade, you can roll a starting character that can fry any other party member or creature in the book with no real chance of failure, and it's really obvious that the core game was balanced around much less powerful characters than those in Black Crusade, but the game persists in pretending like it isn't a square peg/round hole thing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe that's impossible.

But yeah, RT needs an RT2 rewrite bad. Basically every session we played used some new interpretation of rules.

Also, endeavours, wtf

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The sole reason that PBP can work on this subforum is that we're all such incredible nerds that we can roll up our own stuff and figure out our own TNs.

--

Endeavors are uniquely terrible (yes, I'd love to tally up all the sources of Exploration progress points, every session) but I've never, ever seen a system that lashes high-level narrative to numbers work well. Even FFG Star Wars, which can do no wrong, still stumbles with the fact that obligation/duty/morality can trigger at the most inopportune times for the plot. Like, there's no reason for what's his face's 20pt criminal obligation to be dealt with on this frontier world with a secret pirate cache, and now I have to work it in?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

The games I've played usually have you working for an interrogator rather than the inquisitor, who may not even know you exist. So you're not working for a guy who can necessarily even get you gear and even if so he can't risk the exposure of a group of bad dudes with thousands of rounds of bolter ammunition for guns that might be traceable back to him getting pinched. It's more "here's some walking around money, most of you are criminals so I'm sure you can get your hands on some hot guns"

Yea, this. When I ran a DH1 game there initially wasn't even an Inquisitor in the picture, the players were a bunch of reprobates pulled in by an Interrogator and sent off to root around in trouble. The idea is that any given Inquisitor has a network of dozens if not hundreds of Interrogators who manage their own teams of mooks, and when those get wiped out in a sufficiently interesting fashion (or inexplicably survive a real problem) they get bumped up in standing. So initially the game is basically desperately wrangling horrors way out of your depth, and only after surviving that they actually get to work as Inquisition agents. My group didn't get any sort of formal sanction or a rosette for ages until they'd solved a number of problems on their own.

I totally understand that some people don't want to play that sort of game and hate dealing with being a bunch of under-equipped losers, but we had a lot of fun with playing out characters with very little resources way in over their heads. It was a nice balance to a lot of other games where you tend to hit the ground pretty well kitted out compared to the world.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

JcDent posted:

Maybe that's impossible.

But yeah, RT needs an RT2 rewrite bad. Basically every session we played used some new interpretation of rules.

Also, endeavours, wtf

Isn't FFG's Star Wars basically RT2?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, I've been wondering how hard it would be to use the rules and just put everything in skull drag.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 16, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ashcans posted:

Yea, this. When I ran a DH1 game there initially wasn't even an Inquisitor in the picture, the players were a bunch of reprobates pulled in by an Interrogator and sent off to root around in trouble. The idea is that any given Inquisitor has a network of dozens if not hundreds of Interrogators who manage their own teams of mooks, and when those get wiped out in a sufficiently interesting fashion (or inexplicably survive a real problem) they get bumped up in standing. So initially the game is basically desperately wrangling horrors way out of your depth, and only after surviving that they actually get to work as Inquisition agents. My group didn't get any sort of formal sanction or a rosette for ages until they'd solved a number of problems on their own.

I totally understand that some people don't want to play that sort of game and hate dealing with being a bunch of under-equipped losers, but we had a lot of fun with playing out characters with very little resources way in over their heads. It was a nice balance to a lot of other games where you tend to hit the ground pretty well kitted out compared to the world.

I've actually been wanting to do a game of only war set on a frontier world where the player characters start with very bare bones equipment (think laspistols, shotguns, and revolvers) in a Knights of Cydonia-esque wild-west-but-with-lasers-and-robots style setting. I tried to pitch the concept to a bunch of friends but they rejected it because they would rather play D&D.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Outcasts Of The Screaming Vortex is a pbp game on these very forums that does "scavenge all your equipment" really well; i'm not sure a game where you stay at a shotguns/stub revolvers level would be particularly good though. the OW rules are actually a bit too swingy to really work as a tactilol simulator

a marshall posse hunting down alpha legion or something would be a good Only War game though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Elukka posted:

The great thing about the 40k RPG's is that d100 systems are really easy to play around with, since everything is easy to conceptualize as a percentage. The rules in the book then become a lot less important. If I think a player's character would have about a 50% chance of succeeding on something, and I know his skill check is 70, I can just say it's a -20 test.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

EthanSteele posted:

Go to space and have a good time. That's the best advice for the 40k rpgs. The rules are just there as guides. In our recent space battle of like 60ish ships it would have been ridiculous if I had tried to roll for all of them every round. "This is probably what would happen and keeps the game moving" is how to play these.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nuggan posted:

Go to space and have a good time. That's the best advice for the 40k rpgs. The rules are just there as guides. In our recent space battle of like 60ish ships it would have been ridiculous if I had tried to roll for all of them every round. "This is probably what would happen and keeps the game moving" is how to play these.

Cool but if the rules don't matter you might as well drape it over something nonshitty and also free form, like Apocalypse World et al.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
The rules work where they work. Regular gun/melee combat works just fine. Skill checks work fine. Plenty of it works well. I'm just saying don't worry about the parts where it doesn't and keep having a fun game.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Cool but if the rules don't matter you might as well drape it over something nonshitty and also free form, like Apocalypse World et al.

No, because 40k rules mercifully have no sex rules except how to make yourself totally immune to seduction. I'll agree there's a similar amount of being a bullet making GBS threads hardass, however.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 19, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Apocalypse World has sex rules? I thought it was a story game, and such, barely had any rules!

Aren't RT characters basically immune to lasguns and stuff?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The great thing about the 40k RPG's is that d100 systems are really easy to play around with, since everything is easy to conceptualize as a percentage. The rules in the book then become a lot less important. If I think a player's character would have about a 50% chance of succeeding on something, and I know his skill check is 70, I can just say it's a -20 test.
Sure, it's easy to play with modifiers. It's less easy to rebalance all the items, vehicles and whatnot because that stuff is pretty broken, or redesign space combat because it seems like such a clusterfuck, or rejig the skill paths because there's weird stuff like 'I can't use a pistol for like an irl year because it happens to be at the end of my path', etc.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JcDent posted:

Apocalypse World has sex rules? I thought it was a story game, and such, barely had any rules!

AW has rules for what happens the morning after, based on your playbook. It's pretty grown up about it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Elukka posted:

Sure, it's easy to play with modifiers. It's less easy to rebalance all the items, vehicles and whatnot because that stuff is pretty broken, or redesign space combat because it seems like such a clusterfuck, or rejig the skill paths because there's weird stuff like 'I can't use a pistol for like an irl year because it happens to be at the end of my path', etc.

lmao if you're doing vehicle or space combat

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah, I didn't. It's kind of a problem that half the rules for the game are so broken that you're not supposed to even use them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

wiegieman posted:

AW has rules for what happens the morning after, based on your playbook. It's pretty grown up about it.

Well, I guess it matters more in a story game. The only time my RT had sex was when our DM had it happened and I felt bad, like, nobody asked me if my RT dude wants to bang some castle lady. I'm here to make money and kill heretics, and if those things happen simultaneously, all the better!

...another time, a long time ago, my half-orc character in an Arcanum one shot played on Risus wanted to sleep with a barwench, but he was drunk and needed flowers or something and maybe a store got burned down...

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Space combat in RT is fun if your group likes that kind of thing. The rules are decent and the system works, but if you're not interested in tactical positioning and role-playing the bridge crew it drags pretty quick. One of my favorite gaming memories is when my Explorator weaponized a promethium refinery that was in constant danger of exploding underneath us and used it to fight a crystal behemoth in space. All that kept us alive was our faith in the Omnisiah and hilariously poor rolls on the GMs part. The capital ship we brought to the fight couldn't roll under an 80 though, so it evened out.

*edit* Basically space combat owns in RT and if you think otherwise I'd be curious as to which parts were giving you trouble.

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 19, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

JcDent posted:

Not at level 1 where a dude might have ~13 wounds and ~10 DR total, not exactly. Lasguns may seem like they're only doing chip damage on less than half of all successful damage rolls but 'chip' damage is still like 10-30% of your pre-criticals health in one hit. The situation can sour fast in an encounter with a lot of lasguns or it can sour gradually over a string of encounters. You can definitely mitigate it but not by assuming you're untouchable and wading into the flashlight.

Peztopiary posted:

Space combat in RT is fun if your group likes that kind of thing.

We used an air-craft carrier style ship and it was pretty fun.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Nuggan posted:

That sounds like a good reason to immediately transition to a game of Battlefleet Gothic to resolve the battle!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ashcans posted:

That sounds like a good reason to immediately transition to a game of Battlefleet Gothic to resolve the battle!

Only slightly less complicated!

On flashlights: what if level 1 RT char in Carapace? Because Stormie Carapace is easy to get.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I used ~10 DR since the toughness bonus would usually be around 4 at that level and carapace protects at 6. You might have more but I think 10 is a decent baseline. If you didn't boost toughness or rolled low at CC and you're using best flak your DR could be 7ish, which is low enough that a particularly bright blast of flashlight singes off half the pre-crit hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why is the RT being shot at with lasguns? They have people for that sort of rabble. Any good RT is only personally shot at with a much higher class of gun.