Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Kilazar posted:

Armada to flight path thought.

Given that clicks and speeds exist in a non ambiguous manner, woud it really be so hard to make a bang of flight path style move templates to cover the speed/click ranges? Hmm maybe it would since there are so many click combos. I just feel that even a plethora of templates might be better than the wobly move tool.

The movement tool IS a bit wobby. You COULD make, say, acrylic templates with notches that would work, but you'd need over two thousand templates to get all possible combinations, by my math. (Or make just five unique templates that you can connect to each other and have four of each, but you still run into problems.) It wouldn't be quite so bad if Navigate didn't let you add an extra click anywhere you wanted when you use the dial, or combining a Navigate dial with a Navigate token and Nav Team to add TWO clicks to any joint (or one click two times).

The (relatively) low quality of the molding and the plastic on the movement tool does make it pretty fiddly. I suppose you could make a die-cast metal one that's precise enough to have no ambiguity or wiggle room in it, but I don't imagine that would be cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Cobbsprite posted:

The movement tool IS a bit wobby. You COULD make, say, acrylic templates with notches that would work, but you'd need over two thousand templates to get all possible combinations, by my math. (Or make just five unique templates that you can connect to each other and have four of each, but you still run into problems.) It wouldn't be quite so bad if Navigate didn't let you add an extra click anywhere you wanted when you use the dial, or combining a Navigate dial with a Navigate token and Nav Team to add TWO clicks to any joint (or one click two times).

The (relatively) low quality of the molding and the plastic on the movement tool does make it pretty fiddly. I suppose you could make a die-cast metal one that's precise enough to have no ambiguity or wiggle room in it, but I don't imagine that would be cheap.

Yeah the more I thought about it the harder it is. Then each ship would need a new move profile printed for reference almost like move dials but more info... Just too cumbersome.

I wish they would get a better manufacturer for the move tool.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kilazar posted:

I wish they would get a better manufacturer for the move tool.

It's definitely an issue with the widget, and not the idea. All the positions map to directions and distances, I'm sure you could accomplish the same thing with a nicer tool, or with a method involving a ruler and a compass rose.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Has anyone done the Twin Shadows mini campaign for Imperial Assault? I just got it and I'm thinking about introducing some friends to IA with the 4-mission mini campaign over the holidays instead of trying to start an entirely new normal campaign.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know, I kind of wonder what TFA means for Armada. Spoilers, obviously.
I kind of wonder what they might give the Rebels/Resistance as a counterpart to the First Order's shiny new Star Destroyer, since they didn't establish an equivalent ship for the Resistance/New Republic (or even any capital ships, for that matter). I guess they could invent something like they did the Imperial Raider, or bring out something from the old EU like the Nebula.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of wonder what they might give the Rebels/Resistance as a counterpart to the First Order's shiny new Star Destroyer, since they didn't establish an equivalent ship for the Resistance/New Republic (or even any capital ships, for that matter). I guess they could invent something like they did the Imperial Raider, or bring out something from the old EU like the Nebula.

I did think that it was very curious from a general marketing perspective (not just FFG stuff) that in the entire film there is not a single non-civilian ground vehicle, or any capital ship other that whatever Star Destroyer-esque ship the bad guy rides around on.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Chomp8645 posted:

I did think that it was very curious from a general marketing perspective (not just FFG stuff) that in the entire film there is not a single non-civilian ground vehicle, or any capital ship other that whatever Star Destroyer-esque ship the bad guy rides around on.

On the ice planet there's some walkers off in the distance that I'm sure we'll get pages and pages on in the future, but otherwise, it was pretty sparse, yeah. I kind of liked that about it, though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Chomp8645 posted:

You're forgetting about Rey's land speeder, as shown in the trailer (and film).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Finster Dexter posted:

You're forgetting about Rey's land speeder, as shown in the trailer (and film).

And also the speeder the commandeer while on the base/planet. You can see it for all of two seconds when they rush inside.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Are there any "must have" expansions if starting out with Imperial Assault?

Be at least a few of us playing it, not opposed to grabbing more than the starter box for a "Christmas" present

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I wouldn't say any of the character packs are "must-haves" but they do each add a new quest and some extra options for the Imperial player along with the figure. We mostly got them to replace character tokens with figures but it isn't really necessary.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Are there any "must have" expansions if starting out with Imperial Assault?

Be at least a few of us playing it, not opposed to grabbing more than the starter box for a "Christmas" present

Han solo, chewie if you are mostly doing campaign since they explicitly show up in missions and its nice to use real figs instead of tokens. The missions they come with add variety, too. I love painting so I ended up getting most of the packs, the rebel saboteurs are recommended if you do skirmish.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

One of the good things about having a hefty collection of WotC Star Wars miniatures is that if I ever get into Imperial Assault I have quite a few minis (painted, to boot) to represent the tokens.

Of course, the benefit of the ImpAss expansions is that you know exactly what you're getting, which means that I might finally get a Boba Fett (although I'd then have to paint it).

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I have the Armada Starter set as well as the Scum and Rogues pack. What would be a good purchase plan to grow both forces? Fighters? Smaller ships, go for the big ones?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

A gladiator and an assault frigate will give you two pretty balanced forces with that pack, but not quite get you up to the current points value maximum. But still, that's a good start.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

I have the Armada Starter set as well as the Scum and Rogues pack. What would be a good purchase plan to grow both forces? Fighters? Smaller ships, go for the big ones?

Personal opinions, in order of purchase:

Imperials:

1 ISD - the iconic ship of the game, absolutely awesome on the battlefield. 1 ISD + 1 Victory (from the starter) + 1 Gladiator + some fighters is also a reasonable fleet at 400 pts.
1 Gladiator - has lost some of its glory since it dies much more easily, but will still trade well with much more expensive ships.
1 Fighter pack - to give you some more options other than the Rogues

Rebels:

1 Assault Frigate Mk2 - probably the most flexible ship in the game, resilient enough to not go down easily, and packs a mean punch with Admiral Ackbar (see below).
1 MC80 - while I have mixed feelings about the MC80 itself, it's still a beast that can take a beating and deal it out as well. Additionally, the Home One title really supports the rest of your fleet very well. Admiral Ackbar (in the pack) is probably the best fleet commander in the game at this moment.
1 MC30 - while very fragile, it can deal immense amounts of damage, both at close and long range. Also comes with some good upgrade cards not found elsewhere (Assault Proton Torpedoes, Turbolaser Reroute Circuits).
1 Fighter pack - same reason as above.

Eventually you will probably also buy at least one of the other packs as well. For example, at this point the Nebulon B expansion is the only source for XI7 Turbolasers, which have a very strong effect. On the imperial side, I am a big fan of Admiral Motti in this wave, and he only comes in the VSD expansion.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
4 VSDs. http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/210100

let's you field 5 VSDs
You have 25 points left over for whatever.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Does anybody have the link to that mini card binder? I can't remember if I saw it in here or in the X wang thread but I'm in pretty desperate for a place to put all those drat things.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I got a normal-sized binder from Staples and 2 packets of sleeves, one for baseball cards and one for business cards. It seems to work fine, and the pocket in the front of the notebook is perfect for holding the rule book+movement templates. Total cost was around $15, with a few additional sleeves (I have all of my xwing cards in the same binder now).

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

FishFood posted:

Does anybody have the link to that mini card binder? I can't remember if I saw it in here or in the X wang thread but I'm in pretty desperate for a place to put all those drat things.

It is not out yet. But you can search coolstuff for x-wing folio and you should see it in the search results.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

FishFood posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-PRO...H261R9AJZ54A46R

This was linked here at some point in the past, and I picked one up for X-Wing and one for Armada. If you put the mini cards in sideways, you can fit two per spot. There is room for the cards to be sleeved, and also room to stack copies in the same spot.

I have one of just about everything in X-Wing (no Decimator, Tantive IV, or the stuff released in the past two weeks), with some duplicates thrown in. I can fit everything in that binder, with the Rebel pilot cards in the back as well. I do leave out more than 4 (in some cases 3) copies of anything, along with only single copies of unique cards. It is getting close to capacity though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kilazar posted:

It is not out yet. But you can search coolstuff for x-wing folio and you should see it in the search results.

My FLGS got some, so they should be out soon anyway

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wowsers, FFG is finally fixing IA skirmish.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/21/great-change-in-the-galaxy/

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Do they ever issue new cards for these or change what cards go into future core sets when this happens, or is it just for tournament level play people need to remember a change was made?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Do they ever issue new cards for these or change what cards go into future core sets when this happens, or is it just for tournament level play people need to remember a change was made?

I don't see how they could, since these changes are strictly skirmish, and the same cards are used for skirmish and campaign modes.

EDIT: No, wait, I may have misread. These changes may be across the board, which is kind of weird. Wonder if there's going to be any unforseen effects on the campaign mode?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tsilkani posted:

I don't see how they could, since these changes are strictly skirmish, and the same cards are used for skirmish and campaign modes.

EDIT: No, wait, I may have misread. These changes may be across the board, which is kind of weird. Wonder if there's going to be any unforseen effects on the campaign mode?

The Imp officer change is just for skirmish- the Royal Guard and Rebel Saboteur change applies to both campaign and skirmish- and the problem with Royal Guards is still there in campaign- they were the most efficient unit your threat could buy- now they're more limited to protecting someone else(not each other). The Rebel Sab change was mostly there to tamp down the huge blasts/pierce they could do so they don't one-shot Vader and such.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
The article reads oddly on the RG. It reads like only part of the change is for skirmish. That or it is too early for me to be reading ffg erata articles.

*ediit* figured it out. Read the cards. Not the article :)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

You see some Republic ships get blown up with Hosnian Prime.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
EDIT: Ignore this post, revised my question in a later post on the next page.

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 26, 2015

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
A coworker and I played the tutorial Armada mission today after lunch, and it was pretty fun. We felt like 6 rounds wasn't really long enough, especially since the only losses were squadrons. The only hull damage any of us took was when the rebels rammed the star destroyer. I think in the next game one of us will be more aggressive and maybe we'll get to see a ship go down.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Madurai posted:

You see some Republic ships get blown up with Hosnian Prime.

I just rewatched it and kept a close eye out during that scene and I'm almost certain you don't. All you see is Hosnian Prime from space and then a shot of the city and the senators standing on a balcony looking out at the incoming beam.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MeinPanzer posted:

I just rewatched it and kept a close eye out during that scene and I'm almost certain you don't. All you see is Hosnian Prime from space and then a shot of the city and the senators standing on a balcony looking out at the incoming beam.

There are ships in orbit above either Hosnian Prine or one of the other Hosnian system worlds. It's a blink-and-miss-it shot, but there are definitely ships and you can see them go boom with the planet.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

Madurai is right. Watch the scene where the red beam of death splinters into like 4 smaller separate beams. The planet in the foreground has a bunch of tiny looking capital ships in orbit that get destroyed when the planet explodes. I noticed this last night.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

jivjov posted:

There are ships in orbit above either Hosnian Prine or one of the other Hosnian system worlds. It's a blink-and-miss-it shot, but there are definitely ships and you can see them go boom with the planet.

they just looked like MC80s to me. Either way, I doubt we will get anything in Armada from the new trilogy quite yet, with so little to work with. Just the TIE/fo, T-70 x-wing, and whatever new class of star destroyer, plus the republic ships that you barely make out before they go poof. There are plenty of OT capital ships and what have you left to exploit though, so I'm not mad about it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there really anything stopping FFG from doing with they did with the Imperial Raider and just making some new poo poo up?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Drone posted:

Is there really anything stopping FFG from doing with they did with the Imperial Raider and just making some new poo poo up?

Disney.

What will probably happen is that they'll get the models and relevant characters in advance of their appearances in the next two movies, letting them have a release as the movie comes out or just before, ie the new X-Wing starter. No need to wait for the movie, and then another 6-12 months for production and shipping.

Some of this stuff may appear elsewhere too, with the death of the old EU Disney taken firm control of the new canon, and have explicitly included more than just the movies in it

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Drone posted:

Disney would need to approve its design and whatnot.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah so at the very least they have the T-70 X-Wing for the Rebels, and the TIE/fo, TIE/sf, and Resurgent class star destroyer for the Imperials, won't take much to fill out another couple waves before episode VIII

e: Though apparently the Resurgent is nearly twice the length of an ISD, so perhaps not?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 25, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's not just a case of getting Disney's approval to make up new ships, Disney actually made the Imperial Raider themselves after FFG asked them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

NTRabbit posted:

e: Though apparently the Resurgent is nearly twice the length of an ISD, so perhaps not?

It did look pretty drat big to me. Not Super Star Destroyer big, but someone was over compensating.

Rogue One might show more appropriate content for Armada, but if not then they can go mine Rebels for those mini star destroyer things instead.