Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Am I weird for liking the Kylo Ren character? Thought the mix of vulnerability/craziness was pretty engaging but seems like he's being dismissed as too whiny by the majority.

The movie was solidly entertaining despite being derivative as hell. More originality and less nostalgia in the successors hopefully, but this was a decent starting point.

no your not at all. he is a good villian and interesting one. better then what i thought he would be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats the thing. you shouldnt try. if you try just making another vader, it will be redundant and people will think its dumb. Renn is interesting because while he cosplays as vader, he has none of the "skills" and he has pre delimbed vaders personality maginified by 1000.

I like that he seems a little sniveling and is not all powerful even though he wants to be like Vader. I liked the idea of being tempted by the light side, as well.

I cringed when I saw that there was yet another Death Star but I did enjoy that quick meeting around the Starkiller Base plans where they are almost tongue in cheek with their ability to predict what needs to be done to defeat it. A bit of a nod, a bit of an acknowledgement that it was derivative, but not corny.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I like that he seems a little sniveling and is not all powerful even though he wants to be like Vader. I liked the idea of being tempted by the light side, as well.

I cringed when I saw that there was yet another Death Star but I did enjoy that quick meeting around the Starkiller Base plans where they are almost tongue in cheek with their ability to predict what needs to be done to defeat it. A bit of a nod, a bit of an acknowledgement that it was derivative, but not corny.

yeah its weird. they almost have a guardians of the galaxy attitude about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Snoke and Ren aren't referred to as Darth anything so it's a mystery about the whole sith thing anymore.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I just read that Phasma has been confirmed to return in Episode VIII, which is nice, because she seemed really cool.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So whats the relationship between the republic and the resistance and why are they seperate entities? They didn't go much into space politics but, what are the space politics these days?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One point in favor of Rey being Kylo's twin is she clearly has Leia's superior accuracy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Philosopher King posted:

So whats the relationship between the republic and the resistance and why are they seperate entities? They didn't go much into space politics but, what are the space politics these days?

Resistance was a terrorist organization funded or supported by the republic who was nominally at peace with the first order.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

gohmak posted:

I wish they never answered how Poe got out alive.

"What happened? How did you make it out?"

"Oh, that's a story for another time."

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

euphronius posted:

No you are not weird for liking a charismatic and likable villain.

I thought he was cool but charismatic and likable aren't really words I would ever use to describe the character.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Megasabin posted:

Given that one of the central strengths of Luke's personality in the original trilogy was his relationship with his friends (to the point the emperor calls it his fault), it's going to be interesting seeing him deal with the consequences of abandoning them. By going into exile he essentially let the empire regrow, and wasn't there to prevent his best friends death.

Exactly like Yoda did... he could have wrecked poo poo up and down and been a massive help to the rebels

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 19, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I still hope Rey's parents aren't anyone we know, as her being Luke or Leia's offspring would be pretty predictable and lame.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frackie Robinson posted:

I still hope Rey's parents aren't anyone we know, as her being Luke or Leia's offspring would be pretty predictable and lame.

Think it was pretty clear she was Leia and Hans daughter but who knows.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think a point that needs to be hammered home is how loving wrong Kenobi and Yoda were in the OT. This one seems to be the same thing though with them leaving him with Luke to train and Luke leaving Rey.

Like Jedi are terrible at raising kids and everyone makes awful mistakes in regards to their children.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'd like it Rey was just some random peasant and not another part of this long lasting Skywalker dynasty.

For all we know, she was recognized as a force sensitive as a child and that's why she remembers Luke's island.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

If she is, Han certainly didn't know it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rd d2 wakes up when she lands though.

Meh. She's gonna be related.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frackie Robinson posted:

If she is, Han certainly didn't know it

She could have been just pregnant when they divorced or broke up .

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

euphronius posted:

I thought that's where they were going, but in retrospect it seems like misdirection. And didn't she sleep with an old Rebel pilot helmet on? Seems like that was her keepsake from her parents.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

She could have been just pregnant when they divorced or broke up .

Yeah, though it's also worth noting that if the flashback we see is Rey when she was separated from her parents, that she would have been old enough to remember them.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Am I weird for liking the Kylo Ren character? Thought the mix of vulnerability/craziness was pretty engaging but seems like he's being dismissed as too whiny by the majority.

The movie was solidly entertaining despite being derivative as hell. More originality and less nostalgia in the successors hopefully, but this was a decent starting point.

No, he does a great job, and he has impossibly big shoes to fill since Darth Vader is perhaps the most iconic movie villain, Hannibal Lecter is the only one that comes close. I actually like how they tackled the villain having to live in Vader's shadow head on in the movie.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lord Krangdar posted:

I thought that's where they were going, but in retrospect it seems like misdirection. And didn't she sleep with an old Rebel pilot helmet on? Seems like that was her keepsake from her parents.

Could have just been some of the remnants of the same space battle that resulted in all the other crashed ships on the planet.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Fix posted:

Could have just been some of the remnants of the same space battle that resulted in all the other crashed ships on the planet.

Battle of Jakku. There's even X-Wing wreckage in the movie.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Jakku

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

I thought the opposite, that she clearly isn't their daughter. Seems like they are setting her up to be Luke's daughter, why would Han and Leia raise one kid (who they send off to Luke) and abandon the other? Kylo knows Han and Leia are his parents, why keep it a secret from Rey and leave her on a planet?

Kylo is also clearly surprised at how strong she is in the force, which he would not be if he knew she was his sister or Luke's daughter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured the New Republic would probably not be eager to continue having much of a Star War, though I would be surprised if they went back to Old Republic levels of "not having any military poo poo around." At the same time everyone probably just wants to rebuild and try to make up for all their dead relations and blown up planets.

Is the First Order actually the Empire, or is there some zone where Moffs are having grey meetings and thinking the First Order are the weird extremists?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vader interrogated Leia and had no idea.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 19, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Do you think Leia would have her long lost daughter show up on her doorstep by a miraculous series of events and still not come clean to her? That just seems unreasonably callous of her, especially when she was just expressing regret about sending Ben/Kylo away.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 19, 2015

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

Vader thought his kids were dead.
She's Luke's daughter. Like, there's so much evidence. But even if she isn't, I'd be down with that. They probably left it somewhat open so they could gauge audience reactions to the idea.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

Absolutely, but Luke, Leia and Vader were all related and didn't know it, which is in stark contrast to Leia, Han and Kylo who are painfully aware that they are a broken family. I just don't see how she could be their daughter and have it make any sense,.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Iron Tusk posted:

In the novelization he has some more dialog where he mentions that he's old enough to have seen the Empire rise and fall.

Now that's interesting. I'm warming to the idea

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

He kinda seems like what a dark side Luke would have been, he's got that level of whininess. I also liked that he's clearly overcompensating for something, as he's not nearly as powerful and talented as he'd like to think, and he's got his lovely lightsaber that's jury-rigged to have the little laser hilts to look tough.

quote:

Hey, it's different. This time it actually was a moon!

euphronius posted:

Snoke and Ren aren't referred to as Darth anything so it's a mystery about the whole sith thing anymore.

To be fair, the Sith thing was never really that clear. It just mostly seems to be shorthand for "dark side Jedi."

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 19, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mandrel posted:

so there's no way Snoke isn't darth plagueis right? Wise, all powerful Munn sith lord who happens to look identical to the apparently still-canon appearance of Plagueis, his musical theme is nearly identical to the piece that plays in the opera in III when Palpatine is telling Anakin about him.

on the other hand, palpatine says he killed him and he always seemed like a guy who'd know for a fact whether or not he killed a guy. but then the whole point of palpatine's story was to tell Anakin about how Plagueis supposedly had the power to save people from death. but still, where would he have been this whole time? just chilling?

i can't decide if snoke being plagueis would be more or less contrived than snoke just being some super powerful sith who just appeared out of nowhere

Snoke turning out to be Plagueis would be greeted by a giant shrug by like 95% of the audience, I don't think they're going to center the mystery of the main big bad around something that obscure, and especially around something from the prequels.

I think one way or another Snoke's existence is going to be at least partially attributable to Luke loving up somewhere along the way.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 19, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I really liked that nobody did any of that cliche mistrust stuff with Finn.

When he tells them they mostly seem to think "yeah that sounds perfectly reasonable, welcome aboard."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think Snokes turning out to be the degenerating clone body of the Emperor wouldn't be that terrible.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I really liked that nobody did any of that cliche mistrust stuff with Finn.

When he tells them they mostly seem to think "yeah that sounds perfectly reasonable, welcome aboard."

Yeah, and I'm glad that when he revealed himself to them, they weren't like "You lying bastard", but were more like "Okay, but you should still help".

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

Beefstew posted:

Yeah, and I'm glad that when he revealed himself to them, they weren't like "You lying bastard", but were more like "Okay, but you should still help".

Or how Han knew immediately and found it amusing he was lying about it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I think Snokes turning out to be the degenerating clone body of the Emperor wouldn't be that terrible.

I guess, but why doesn't he look or sound anything like Palpatine? If he's a lovely clone he could just as easily be a lovely clone of Anakin or Obi-Wan or Luke. I don't think the twist with Snoke is going to be who he is so much as it's going to be what he wants and why he wants it. At least I hope that's the case.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

raditts posted:

To be fair, the Sith thing was never really that clear. It just mostly seems to be shorthand for "dark side Jedi."

When did the word Sith first appear? I'm pretty sure it is never spoken in any of the OT movies, though it may have been in the original screenplay. I think I remember one of the radio dramas from the 80s calling Vader a "dark lord of the Sith".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 19, 2015

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Randarkman posted:

When did the word Sith first appear? I'm pretty sure it is never spoken in any of the OT movies, though it may have been in the original screenplay. I think I remember one of the radio dramas from the 80s calling Vader a "dark lord of the Sith".

I know it was used in the EU before The Phantom Menace, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the word Sith actually originated from the toys.

• Locked thread