Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

PopetasticPerson posted:

Thank you, that's basically exactly what I'm looking for. I intended to follow your advice exactly, but I noticed these in one of the related products sections:

http://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Detachable/dp/B015S2I6A0/ref=cm_rdp_product

They're MEE audio M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician's In-Ear Monitors with Detachable Cables for $50, and the reviews make them seem perfect. The quibbling negative reviews almost certainly refer to sound difference -issues I'd never notice, which is giving me a bit of a too-good-to-be-true vibe. If they're so great, why are they half the price of the other headphones I'm looking at? I notice that they're geared for musicians but from what I can tell they should do just fine for normal listening...is there an obvious downside to these that I'm not seeing?

They're well-regarded on headfi, I don't think you'd be disappointed by them. The price may simply be because they have less of a market share/brand visibility? Not sure. Haven't tried them myself, but at 50bux I might just pick up a pair and if I don't like them as much as my Shures, give them away.

None of my IRL friends have listened to music on anything better than like iphone earbuds and laptop speakers and it makes me real, real sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I really doubt you are going to find anybody here with experience with those particular headphones. I've never heard of this brand; more than likely it's a dime-a-dozen Chinese brand. Amazon reviews at this price range aren't particularly useful bits of information. People who are buying $50 IEMs often have no clue (or are looking for things not necessarily conducive to fidelity).

That's not knocking these, though. Amazon has a great return policy, so if you feel like this is the right ones for you, buy it, and return it and you end up feeling they were inadequate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a more reputable manufacturer, however (e.g., Shure, Etymotic).

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Wrong on the dime a dozen Chinese brand. They're actually pretty good budget headphones - they just don't market as much as the big guys. I have two pairs of Meelectronics myself and while they're not blow your mind amazing they are really good for the price. I think you'd enjoy them if that's the price you're looking for. Balanced sound with a little bass emphasis.

Headfi really likes their products. They even make a balanced armature pair for around $40 if anyone has ever been interested in that category.

I need to stop buying headphones. I sort of want to give those linked ones a try now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Slowhanded posted:

I really doubt you are going to find anybody here with experience with those particular headphones. I've never heard of this brand; more than likely it's a dime-a-dozen Chinese brand. Amazon reviews at this price range aren't particularly useful bits of information. People who are buying $50 IEMs often have no clue (or are looking for things not necessarily conducive to fidelity).

That's not knocking these, though. Amazon has a great return policy, so if you feel like this is the right ones for you, buy it, and return it and you end up feeling they were inadequate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a more reputable manufacturer, however (e.g., Shure, Etymotic).

MeElectronics is based in California and they make very well-regarded headphones in their price segments.

Also, you come across as a massive prick. Maybe you should work on that.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Just bought a FiiO X1 and looking to replace my Klipsch S4's.

I'm leaning towards someone's used but sleeved Hifiman RE-400 ($42), but also considering either the Monoprice 108320 ($10) or the MEE Audio M6 PRO ($49.99) - the latter two would require me to purchase it off Amazon which would net me some shipping costs.

Is the Hifiman my best bet?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Disharmony posted:

Just bought a FiiO X1 and looking to replace my Klipsch S4's.

I'm leaning towards someone's used but sleeved Hifiman RE-400 ($42), but also considering either the Monoprice 108320 ($10) or the MEE Audio M6 PRO ($49.99) - the latter two would require me to purchase it off Amazon which would net me some shipping costs.

Is the Hifiman my best bet?

Blinkz0rz posted:

In case anyone was interested, the Klipsch R6i's are the spiritual successor to the S4i II's. Same sound profile and everything.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hey guys, sorry to bother you all with another one of these recommendation posts, but I'm itching for a new pair in a pretty big way since my main pair is giving out on me:

Budget - I can swing $150 easy, but I'm not in such a rush that I can't wait and budget more for quality. I'm not opposed to collecting whatever paraphernalia I would need to get the most out of them, either.
Source - Almost exclusively my PC. Maybe occasionally my phone, but I'm at my PC listening to music when I'm coding or gaming.
Isolation Requirements - None. I have my own home office, and my home is very quiet.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural. Supra hurts my ears, IEMs never seem to fit well.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I suppose balanced and leaning toward heavier bass? I haven't got the best frame of reference for this, unfortunately.
Past Headphones - I've got a few of note:

Sennheiser 497: I used these for years and enjoyed them enough to keep using them, but after an hour or two they always hurt my ears terribly between having a weird design and sitting supra-aurally.

Sennheiser PXC 150: I've been using these with portables and my work laptop since I got them in college, more than ten years ago. Nice enough range of sound (if a little flat on the low end) with the canceller turned on, small and lightweight enough that they don't hurt my ears, but its cable situation is a goddamn nightmare.

Logitech G930: My most recent. Got them for my last job since I would need to be on Skype quite a lot working from home. They're super comfortable, have a much richer sound all around than the 497s they replaced, all around performed admirably. Unfortunately they can't hold a wireless signal anymore and it's driving me up the goddamn wall. I'd probably keep using them if they didn't only operate wirelessly.

Various IEMs: I love the way they block out noise, and they sound great for the five seconds or so before they start to wiggle free of my ear. I use the smallest earpieces I can find and they still never seen to fit. I assume it's because they're still too large, since higher sizes never fit right in the first place and usually hurt.

Preferred Music - Depending on the day, I primarily listen to downtempo and trip hop, but I listen to a lot of punk and some industrial.

Edit: Also, this is a petty gripe that probably has no bearing here, but it really annoys me that the cushioning pads on these things always crack and disintegrate and peel all over the place.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 14, 2015

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Heliosicle posted:

Has anyone got the V-Moda XS on-ear headphones? I need to get some new headphones since mine have developed a horrible buzz in the right ear and they're 6 years old so can't do anything there. From head-fi reviews etc they seem like pretty much exactly what I want.

e: Oh Innerfidelity highly rated them as well, seem like a good buy, they really are tiny though.

Well poo poo, don't get these. They sound great but have a vice-like grip on your head that's left me feeling nauseous after using them for more than an hour. Hopefully I can return them.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Meldonox posted:

Hey guys, sorry to bother you all with another one of these recommendation posts, but I'm itching for a new pair in a pretty big way since my main pair is giving out on me:

Budget - I can swing $150 easy, but I'm not in such a rush that I can't wait and budget more for quality. I'm not opposed to collecting whatever paraphernalia I would need to get the most out of them, either.
Source - Almost exclusively my PC. Maybe occasionally my phone, but I'm at my PC listening to music when I'm coding or gaming.
Isolation Requirements - None. I have my own home office, and my home is very quiet.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural. Supra hurts my ears, IEMs never seem to fit well.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I suppose balanced and leaning toward heavier bass? I haven't got the best frame of reference for this, unfortunately.
Past Headphones - I've got a few of note:

Sennheiser 497: I used these for years and enjoyed them enough to keep using them, but after an hour or two they always hurt my ears terribly between having a weird design and sitting supra-aurally.

Sennheiser PXC 150: I've been using these with portables and my work laptop since I got them in college, more than ten years ago. Nice enough range of sound (if a little flat on the low end) with the canceller turned on, small and lightweight enough that they don't hurt my ears, but its cable situation is a goddamn nightmare.

Logitech G930: My most recent. Got them for my last job since I would need to be on Skype quite a lot working from home. They're super comfortable, have a much richer sound all around than the 497s they replaced, all around performed admirably. Unfortunately they can't hold a wireless signal anymore and it's driving me up the goddamn wall. I'd probably keep using them if they didn't only operate wirelessly.

Various IEMs: I love the way they block out noise, and they sound great for the five seconds or so before they start to wiggle free of my ear. I use the smallest earpieces I can find and they still never seen to fit. I assume it's because they're still too large, since higher sizes never fit right in the first place and usually hurt.

Preferred Music - Depending on the day, I primarily listen to downtempo and trip hop, but I listen to a lot of punk and some industrial.

Edit: Also, this is a petty gripe that probably has no bearing here, but it really annoys me that the cushioning pads on these things always crack and disintegrate and peel all over the place.

Card:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B0045JHJSS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450096094&sr=8-2&keywords=sound+card+dgx
Open:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450096066&sr=8-1&keywords=558
Closed:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...1&keywords=m50x

Card is not a huge improvement if you have a newish motherboard
This is just a quick off the top of my head.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Heliosicle posted:

Well poo poo, don't get these. They sound great but have a vice-like grip on your head that's left me feeling nauseous after using them for more than an hour. Hopefully I can return them.

Have you tried bending them? The metal headband is made to be adjusted by bending.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I thought about it but didn't want to damage them in case I had to send them back. Pulled the band flat a few times, so much more comfortable now, thanks.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Does anyone have experience with the onkyo es-cti300 headphones? I'm x-mas shopping for my brother. He'd like something stylish, open or closed, that has a removable cord and is durable / portable enough to travel with. He's mostly going to be using it for his iphone, commute to work, and work computer ect. My budget is $100.00 - $150.00 dollars.

Here's the link for those who are curious:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-ES-CTI300-SS-Headphones-Control/dp/B00G53GJZQ

fake edit:
I believe the Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones while excellent quality are just too big and bulky for his tastes. He said stylistically liked the size and shape of the beats by dre solo headphones but specifically asked for a different brand with higher quality. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Ample fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 14, 2015

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I ended up buying some Xiaomi Piston 3s for a flight and while I still don't like IEMs, these are the most comfortable and least obnoxious I've ever tried.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Philips Fidelio X2 is the Gold Box Deal today, $199 on Amazon

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Ample posted:

fake edit:
I believe the Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones while excellent quality are just too big and bulky for his tastes. He said stylistically liked the size and shape of the beats by dre solo headphones but specifically asked for a different brand with higher quality. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Are beats smaller? Not being sarcastic. For over-ear I think 558s are as stylistic as it's gonna get (although fidelio X2 looks nice). On-ear I cannot help you because my ears look like Dumbo's.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ample posted:

Does anyone have experience with the onkyo es-cti300 headphones? I'm x-mas shopping for my brother. He'd like something stylish, open or closed, that has a removable cord and is durable / portable enough to travel with. He's mostly going to be using it for his iphone, commute to work, and work computer ect. My budget is $100.00 - $150.00 dollars.

Here's the link for those who are curious:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-ES-CTI300-SS-Headphones-Control/dp/B00G53GJZQ

fake edit:

If he cares about style, then that means he will be in public. If he's in public, he does NOT want to get open headphones. Get something closed. And if he wants style, the Momentum Over Ear would be a good choice. You can get the Warehouse open box version for $140 on Amazon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bluetooth IEM headset. I plan on pairing them to a smartphone and using them to exercise. I've just ripped the headset out of my ears by wildly flailing one too many times.

Budget - $100 or so, somewhat variable.
Source - n/a, mobile phone I guess.
Isolation Requirements - Nice but not required.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM only.
Preferred Tonal Balance - No real preference, balanced is fine.
Past Headphones - Samsung made some great IEMs for the price that came with their phones, though I haven't tried any new ones in a couple of years.
Preferred Music - Terrible music (dubstep), Classical music, podcasts.

I'm not a finicky listener, I'm just hoping for some Not Completely Terrible choices so that I don't get an unpleasant surprise from Amazon.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm interested in sidegrading my current primary headphones (Sennheiser HD 650) into something a bit more aggressive without completely breaking the bank. The foam pads on the HD 650s started to tear (can't say I'm looking forward to the repair, it's either pay out the rear end for real Sennheiser parts or get aftermarket poo poo and hope it mostly fits) and I decided to plug my HD 598s (which I had never heard amplified before) into the amplifier and was blown away by how strong and powerful the bass is. I'd really like something that combines the power and presence of the HD 598 bass with some of the detail of the 650s, but not as expensive as the 650s.

Budget: Hopefully less than $300, I received the 650s as a gift and would not have purchased them with my own money--they're just too expensive
Source: Schiit Modi 2 DAC playing CD quality FLAC files
Amplification: Schiit Valhalla tube amp
Isolation requirements: None
Preferred type of headphone: Circumaural, big enough to fit my Barack Obama donkey ears
Preferred tonal balance: A strong bass but not at the expense of clarity and instrument separation.
Past headphones: Sennheiser HD 555, HD 595, HD 598, HD 650
Preferred music: classic heavy metal and USPM, prog rock, Romantic period classical (bombastic European poo poo)
Additional requirements: I'm a clumsy oaf so a strong, sturdy construction would be appreciated
Currently looking at: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 18, 2015

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I think the Fidelio x2 is exactly what you're looking for. It's $300 and is about as good as the hd600, but more aggressive

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

DT 990 for $120 (after $30 rebate, but at that price...)

http://www.adorama.com/BDDT990P250....affiliate.62905

There might be a referral somewhere in there but it's not mine, just took this link off slickdeals. I don't believe there's ever been a lower price on these.

Taima fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 18, 2015

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Quick Questions: how big is the difference in the Sennheiser Momentum models, would I be missing out on much if I got my preferred colour that's only available in the 1.0 model rather than going for the improved 2.0s? How does the Urbanite model stack up?
I'm only going to be playing music from an iPhone 6 or watching videos on an iPad.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 18, 2015

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Anime_Otaku posted:

Quick Questions: how big is the difference in the Sennheiser Momentum models, would I be missing out on much if I got my preferred colour that's only available in the 1.0 model rather than going for the improved 2.0s? How does the Urbanite model stack up?
I'm only going to be playing music from an iPhone 6 or watching videos on an iPad.

The 1.0s are still good headphones, but the 2.0 are definitely better. The urbanites are not worth it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
:bubblewoop: GUYS THE SENNHEISER 598'S ARE ON SALE FOR $110 :bubblewoop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BM1J&pldnSite=1

Deal is 51% claimed as of this post.
GOGOGOGOGOGO

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone else here do the Massdrop Fostex X00s?

I am really enjoying mine. A step up indeed from the ATH-M50.

Also much, much lighter than the LCD-XC, which I love but are heavy.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thanks guys. My biggest careabouts are connectivity range and ability to stay in ear since I'd like to use them when shooting hoops and it looks like they do well for that.
I initially had a lot of trouble with the Jaybird Bluebuds X falling out while running when using the default tips, but I've since switched to the Comply sport tips and they're perfect. I think with the X2 they actually ship with these tips in the box, but you can also get them here: http://www.complyfoam.com/products/sport-custom-jaybird-bluebuds-x-tips/

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

GOGOGOGOGOGO

aaaand they're gone :rip:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 OHMs @ Adorama for 120usd after $30 MIR, free shipping.

http://www.adorama.com/BDDT990P250....affiliate.62905

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Woolie Wool posted:

it's either pay out the rear end for real Sennheiser parts or get aftermarket poo poo and hope it mostly fits

Where are you located? You can get HD580/600/650 pads directly from Sennheiser USA for not that much - I paid $53 with tax and shipping when I had to replace them on my HD600s last year after about a decade of use.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GokieKS posted:

Where are you located? You can get HD580/600/650 pads directly from Sennheiser USA for not that much - I paid $53 with tax and shipping when I had to replace them on my HD600s last year after about a decade of use.

USA, but even $53 is an awful lot for a bunch of velour and foam (Amazon charges around $70).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volmarias posted:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bluetooth IEM headset. I plan on pairing them to a smartphone and using them to exercise. I've just ripped the headset out of my ears by wildly flailing one too many times.

Budget - $100 or so, somewhat variable.
Source - n/a, mobile phone I guess.
Isolation Requirements - Nice but not required.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM only.
Preferred Tonal Balance - No real preference, balanced is fine.
Past Headphones - Samsung made some great IEMs for the price that came with their phones, though I haven't tried any new ones in a couple of years.
Preferred Music - Terrible music (dubstep), Classical music, podcasts.

I'm not a finicky listener, I'm just hoping for some Not Completely Terrible choices so that I don't get an unpleasant surprise from Amazon.

Is this just such a niche thing that I should pick something and hope for the best?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Woolie Wool posted:

USA, but even $53 is an awful lot for a bunch of velour and foam (Amazon charges around $70).

That's pretty much in line with what replacement pads for high-end headphones cost, and I don't find it unreasonable for how long they last (at least in my experience).

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 for Christmas, really excited to get to use them since this will be my first nice set of headphones, been using various headsets up until now, (Astro, Logitech). I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX already, should that be good enough to drive them properly for a while, or do I really need to look into getting some type of headphone amp. Some initial searching says I should be okay, but wanted to get your guys opinion.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

niss posted:

Just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 for Christmas, really excited to get to use them since this will be my first nice set of headphones, been using various headsets up until now, (Astro, Logitech). I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX already, should that be good enough to drive them properly for a while, or do I really need to look into getting some type of headphone amp. Some initial searching says I should be okay, but wanted to get your guys opinion.

It should power it well enough but you will probably want to look into getting an amplifier before long. A Schitt Magni would be suitable.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Tactical Lesbian posted:

It should power it well enough but you will probably want to look into getting an amplifier before long. A Schitt Magni would be suitable.

Cool thanks, I will take a look at them.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

GOGOGOGOGOGO

Nothin' compared to the $95 you could get them for on Black Friday this year!

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Taima posted:

Nothin' compared to the $95 you could get them for on Black Friday this year!

https://youtu.be/cZaJYDPY-YQ?t=45s :nyd:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's the go to earbuds for around $50?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Google Butt posted:

What's the go to earbuds for around $50?

Maybe Etymotic MC5?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Any gym earbud/IEM recommendations for someone with extremely small ears? Looking to buy a Christmas gift, but basically any normal sized earbud/IEM is too big and will either 1) hurt or 2) fall out while running. Since this is for the gym, audio fidelity is not as important as comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Maybe Etymotic MC5?

These are work headphones which will sometimes be worn under over the ear ear protection, they look a little long to be comfortable in that situation.