Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Beefstew posted:

I know it was used in the EU before The Phantom Menace, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

It was in the novelization of the first movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

No Pants posted:

It was in the novelization of the first movie.

that's based on the original screenplay right? The radio dramas are, and that's probably why I remember having heard "Sith" before Phantom Menace.

e: The cut scene (don't think it was even filmed) where Vader interrogates Leia on the Death Star is a little disturbing (and wouldn't really fit the movie's tone). It's not bloody torture, but Vader injects her with a drug that makes it so she feels stuff that he describes happening to her. It's basically just Vader shouting that she is on fire and her skin is melting and Leia shrieking in agony for a very long time as he tries to get her to give the location of the Rebel base (I think it was that).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 19, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Emperor has been the main bad guy for all 6 films...it would make sense to eventually discover he is still around somehow and pulling strings in VII

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It would be weird to have him not as the bad guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dark Jedi are what they call non-Sith Dark Side users.

The Sith are like a specific group of Dark Jedi, with their own rules and customs and whatever.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I think it actually comes up in a new hope when first describing vader?

e: its in the novel, not the movie. bow before your uber nerd.

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 19, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Philosopher King posted:

I think it actually comes up in a new hope when first describing vader?

A couple :google:s gave me this:

- Star Wars: A New Hope script: Vader is described as "The awesome, seven-foot-tall Dark Lord of the Sith"
- Wikipedia says that there's no actual mention in the movies until The Phantom Menace.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The Star Killer seems like a short sighted idea, what with the whole powered by a star thing. They got two shots and then killed the planet they were on. Liked giant CGI Andy Serkis though. I kinda hope that character is actually gigantic, and that wasn't just compensating for being ugly and potentially impenitent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Frackie Robinson posted:

I guess, but why doesn't he look or sound anything like Palpatine? If he's a lovely clone he could just as easily be a lovely clone of Anakin or Obi-Wan or Luke. I don't think the twist with Snoke is going to be who he is so much as it's going to be what he wants and why he wants it. At least I hope that's the case.

Eh, Palpatine just said he could use the Dark Side to cheat death, he didn't say it would be pretty.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah its weird. they almost have a guardians of the galaxy attitude about it.

Maybe they're taking a page out of the EU and blowing up imperial remnant super weapons is just called "tuesday"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why was the last shot of the movie a circling helicopter shot that has never been used in any star wars movie ever? Weird as hell

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That shot ruled. Had to be on a monster lens too with that kind of compression. I thought it worked well with the music.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe they're taking a page out of the EU and blowing up imperial remnant super weapons is just called "tuesday"

I only read a couple of books from the EU, and only one from the Yuuzhan Vong stuff, but the one I read was pretty good (to dumb kid me, at least) in large part because it gave us this quote from Han to a snooty imperial dignitary:

"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

That shot ruled. Had to be on a monster lens too with that kind of compression. I thought it worked well with the music.

If they had stuck with it being on Daisey and not gone back to Hamill one last time it would have been great. They flashed between the two one too many times and made me snort in derision.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I really liked how Ben took after his grandpa in being a petulant, emo douchebag.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If Starkiller Base is capable of destroying the star, the whole laser part seems puny in comparison. It's like a catapult powered by an atom bomb, to focus on the laser is kind of burying the lead.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aurubin posted:

If they had stuck with it being on Daisey and not gone back to Hamill one last time it would have been great. They flashed between the two one too many times and made me snort in derision.

I guess Mark Hamil was contractually obligated to appear for more than 5s and they didn't realize until the last minute they were short.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Lloyd Boner posted:

I really liked how Ben took after his grandpa in being a petulant, emo douchebag.

Had the same haircut too! Also shoot all Force sensitive people, everything just becomes Star Trek. Peace in the galaxy.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Solo discovering the Falcon that just happened to be on the desert planet as the heroine just in time as they needed to get away was a bit forced and ham fisted, but other then that bugging me I enjoyed the movie.

Anakin Jr. (Kyle, Kylo?) trying to turn away from the light side was a neat little twist on the convention set up in the movies. People are always being tempted by the dark side in Star Wars, but he's the opposite. Doubt Lucas ever would of gone for that.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 19, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said he was actively searching for it.

He had setup a Google Alert on his tractor beam.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

davecrazy posted:

Solo discovering the Falcon that just happened to be on the desert planet as the heroine just in time was a bit forced and ham fisted, but other then that bugging me I enjoyed the movie.

poo poo like this happens in every Star Wars movie. I figure it's the Will Of The Force doing its thing so the right people meet up at the right time.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess Mark Hamil was contractually obligated to appear for more than 5s and they didn't realize until the last minute they were short.

He was probably paid millions of dollars for those seconds

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Frackie Robinson posted:

If Starkiller Base is capable of destroying the star, the whole laser part seems puny in comparison. It's like a catapult powered by an atom bomb, to focus on the laser is kind of burying the lead.

It's a hyperspace weapon though, so it can eat a star somewhere and blow up a bunch of planets on the other side of the galaxy. It apparently needs to fully charge and discharge at least twice to fully kill a star (and this may take more or fewer times depending on the star's size, who knows), so if you want a bunch of planets in a certain area blown up, it makes more sense to have the Starkiller somewhere relatively secure and blast it from halfway across the galaxy, rather than actually move it into the system and slowly eat the star. Seems like it would be much more likely to get attacked that way.

Come to think of it, the only reason the resistance was able to destroy it like that was that they destroyed that thermal-regulating section of it right as it was fully charged. If it hadn't been right about to fire, blowing that up wouldn't have destroyed the whole thing. D'oh.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 19, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Jose Oquendo posted:

poo poo like this happens in every Star Wars movie. I figure it's the Will Of The Force doing its thing so the right people meet up at the right time.

At least in ANH there's a reason they're over Tattoine, Leia is tracking down Obi Wan because she knows he's hiding out there. They don't just happen to show up over Dather Vaders old home world by accident.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So, Mark Hamill cut off his beard recently, and we know they did some early filming for Episode VIII in Ireland, where I assume the last scene in Force Awakens was also filmed. I can only think of two conclusions -

1) Luke quickly "cleans up" and cuts off the beard early in Episode VIII
2) Luke doesn't have much screen time in Episode VIII

Thoughts?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

So, Mark Hamill cut off his beard recently, and we know they did some early filming for Episode VIII in Ireland, where I assume the last scene in Force Awakens was also filmed. I can only think of two conclusions -

Thoughts?

probably the former, I can't imagine they wouldn't use Luke in a more active role to sell him as the Obi-Wan for a new generation

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah I don't understand the Kylo Ren hate, Adam Driver did a really wonderful job. Can't wait for a bunch of Kylo Ren rageout gifs.

Loved his scream of "Traitor" and how he kept punching his wound to psych himself up at the end.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
One of things I got from his 'look' at the end is that he realizes he's back in the game. I figure he'll clean up before he starts kicking First Order rear end.

edit: Yeah Adam Driver was great. He looks like a psychopath. He got those crazy eyes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aurubin posted:

Haha, yeah. After they cut to each of them one too many times I started saying "Line?" to myself.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah I don't understand the Kylo Ren hate, Adam Driver did a really wonderful job. Can't wait for a bunch of Kylo Ren rageout gifs.

I think people expected him to be more bad-rear end, instead of trying to be bad-rear end but fumbling.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Thoughts?

He tweeted when he was filming for The Flash in October that it was the last time he was going to shave for a while. So he's gonna have it grown back by the time they start on the next movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lord Krangdar posted:

I think people expected him to be more bad-rear end, instead of trying to be bad-rear end but fumbling.

I really found that endearing, myself. It's easy to make a generic shadowy "badass" character than it is to make a character who wants to be a shadowy badass but is really just a kid wearing his grand-dad's clothes.

Carlosologist posted:

probably the former, I can't imagine they wouldn't use Luke in a more active role to sell him as the Obi-Wan for a new generation

I thought the beard was a good look for an Obi-Wan style mentor, too bad he shaved it.
e: I forgot that he showed up in The Flash once in a while, I hope he does grow it back.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Spiritus Nox posted:

I only read a couple of books from the EU, and only one from the Yuuzhan Vong stuff, but the one I read was pretty good (to dumb kid me, at least) in large part because it gave us this quote from Han to a snooty imperial dignitary:

"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."

Facts

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

I think Snokes turning out to be the degenerating clone body of the Emperor wouldn't be that terrible.

You know this will probably end up being the direction it goes. "Snoke" is the bastardized dutch name of a carnivorous fish. Much like "Vader" is a bastardized dutch version of "Father".

Snoke's true agenda is probably to make Kylo Ren full darkside, so he can steal his body. Han Solo even helpfully foreshadowed to his son that Snoke is just using him to get what he wants.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Loved his scream of "Traitor" and how he kept punching his wound to psych himself up at the end.

I thought he was great as well, and I agree that making living up to Vader a huge part of his character was a very smart move. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him lose a forearm or hand in the next movie and do something crazy like hop onto an escape poo poo with a huge grin on his face because he just became more like Grandpa. Like, a brief bit of pain turning into laughter. Or hell, maybe his hand gets mangled in some non-lightsaber way and he chops it off himself. I dunno, I just really need to see severed limbs in my Star Wars guys.

On the Starkiller base front, they don't get that into it but the whole weapon is built into a moon or a planet, and I'm pretty drat sure they aren't going to be moving something like that around. The beam fired into a bunch of different lenses, so I figured that the lenses can be repositioned as needed to send the beam to its targets and the planet/moon just charges up and fires. It also gives the weapon a reason to need a long charge time, it needs to make a full orbit again to be in position to drain the sun and to be in alignment with those lenses.

I mean it's basically the Star Wars version of an ICBM, and you don't fire an ICBM that can hit any country you want and then say "Okay, time to move all those silos so we can get them closer to the next country we want to hit."

Oh, and any questions anyone has about what the deal is with the First Order or the Resistance can probably be answered to something close to your satisfaction in the recent :effort: post I made in this thread.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I'm in two minds about this film, but I have to say that it had one of the better lightsaber battles in the series. It was exciting, emotionally charged and it didn't just look like Ren/Rey were dancing around each other like in the PT. It was obvious that both characters had an emotional stake in the battle and it reminded me of the ROTJ lightsaber fight in that respect.

People actually got hurt in the lightsaber duels outside of the finishing blow. That alone made it more engaging

I feel like in general, the film tried to take concepts from the prequels and execute them well. I can believe that Darth Vader, the guy who chokes dudes who say things he doesn't want to hear, is just a lovely, angry, pent up teen who got too much power. But yet, I can't believe Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader. Kylo felt like an attempt to channel what they were trying to build up with the prequels but done right. He's scary, but not for the reasons he thinks he is.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I thought Rylo Ken was actually more terrifying as a villain than Vader because he reminded me of all those psychopath kids who shoot up their schools, so it just kinda hits home pretty hard considering the US's current state regarding school shootings. And seeing as how he actually did kill everyone at Jedi State University, I'm assuming that was the intention behind his character.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NowonSA posted:

I thought he was great as well, and I agree that making living up to Vader a huge part of his character was a very smart move. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him lose a forearm or hand in the next movie and do something crazy like hop onto an escape poo poo with a huge grin on his face because he just became more like Grandpa. Like, a brief bit of pain turning into laughter. Or hell, maybe his hand gets mangled in some non-lightsaber way and he chops it off himself. I dunno, I just really need to see severed limbs in my Star Wars guys.

On the Starkiller base front, they don't get that into it but the whole weapon is built into a moon or a planet, and I'm pretty drat sure they aren't going to be moving something like that around. The beam fired into a bunch of different lenses, so I figured that the lenses can be repositioned as needed to send the beam to its targets and the planet/moon just charges up and fires. It also gives the weapon a reason to need a long charge time, it needs to make a full orbit again to be in position to drain the sun and to be in alignment with those lenses.

I mean it's basically the Star Wars version of an ICBM, and you don't fire an ICBM that can hit any country you want and then say "Okay, time to move all those silos so we can get them closer to the next country we want to hit."

Oh, and any questions anyone has about what the deal is with the First Order or the Resistance can probably be answered to something close to your satisfaction in the recent :effort: post I made in this thread.

They kind of have to be able to move the starkiller though. It can only fire after taking a big ol' bite out of a nearby star, after all.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder if Billy Dee Williams will be in the next one. He's 78, so I lean towards no, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Spiritus Nox posted:

They kind of have to be able to move the starkiller though. It can only fire after taking a big ol' bite out of a nearby star, after all.

Ah yeah, I keep forgetting about this. Well, I don't recall anyone saying it moved, and it's entirely possible it just uses a portion of that star's energy and returns the rest. Maybe it can only be set to gather and store the energy or return it, so it only uses a small percentage of the star's energy but it has to gather it all anyway, it can't shut off mid-stream.

Basically it's the Mega Maid system from Spaceballs without the off option. This is pure guesswork of course, really it falls under "You should really just relax" just like Han being able to come out of lightspeed in a planet's atmosphere.

• Locked thread