Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lowness 72 posted:

Is the FFT port good? Should I pick it up? A lot of the reviews bitching that it doesn't work.

I've had iffy luck with Square products on Samsung devices but otherwise they've been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I love the idea of Minute Frontier but I dislike the execution. Anyone know any similar sort of games, where you're upgrading character classes that give stacking bonuses or such?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Wow, for where I'm at just putting a zerker, 3 thieves, and a knight in my team loaded up with gold, crit, and essence boosting gear and letting them run from level 1 is way more profitable than actually trying to start a darkmage team from the floor I'm actually on. Left my phone sitting on my desk and came back to >1m gold and 2000 essence.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wow, for where I'm at just putting a zerker, 3 thieves, and a knight in my team loaded up with gold, crit, and essence boosting gear and letting them run from level 1 is way more profitable than actually trying to start a darkmage team from the floor I'm actually on. Left my phone sitting on my desk and came back to >1m gold and 2000 essence.

Problem is that they'll get stuck at 500 and then again at 700 due to lovely boss mechanics.

Generally you want to run low level floors for basic accessories (50-150 is a good range for stuff like anti-magic bottles), and as high a level as you can manage for higher end weapons and armor.

Low level floors just have really bad payouts for cash/essence, so it's better to start higher when going for gold.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dirk the Average posted:

Problem is that they'll get stuck at 500 and then again at 700 due to lovely boss mechanics.

Generally you want to run low level floors for basic accessories (50-150 is a good range for stuff like anti-magic bottles), and as high a level as you can manage for higher end weapons and armor.

Low level floors just have really bad payouts for cash/essence, so it's better to start higher when going for gold.

I'm at around floor 1150, but if I set a team loose there on autoplay, they wipe out really fast and don't net that much. I'm just trying to find the ideal setup to leave the game to run itself on my desk.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
So Star Wars Galactic Heroes is ripping off the mechanic from the Marvel Heroes game where you only get parts of characters, even if using the premium currency? :lol: Was planning to throw some money at it, but gently caress that noise.

It's a nice looking game, but congratulations to anyone who pays real money for possibly part X out of eighty for the best drops, effectively getting gently caress all ingame for their cash. God, I really hope this doesn't become the new IAP trend.

WTF edit - Oh wow, the free 3* you get has also made me realize that if you're starting out, even if you unlock a decent dark-side character, you can't use it until level 12. :downsgun:

limited fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 18, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

limited posted:

So Star Wars Galactic Heroes is ripping off the mechanic from the Marvel Heroes game where you only get parts of characters, even if using the premium currency? :lol: Was planning to throw some money at it, but gently caress that noise.

It's a nice looking game, but congratulations to anyone who pays real money for possibly part X out of eighty for the best drops, effectively getting gently caress all ingame for their cash. God, I really hope this doesn't become the new IAP trend.

WTF edit - Oh wow, the free 3* you get has also made me realize that if you're starting out, even if you unlock a decent dark-side character, you can't use it until level 12. :downsgun:

To be fair, you can also get full versions of them as well, and the pieces are rewards from all sort of things. I think you're jumping to conclusions. A lot of them cost like 30 to unlock a 2-3 star, then 30 more to upgrade them from, say, 2 star to 3 star, then 65 for 3 to 4, etc. If you do the Galactic War and get any decent way in, you're going to get anywhere between 400-800 gems. 5 pieces of a certain character is 400 gems, and it will refresh a couple times a day. 3 days of that and you get your new character.

That said, I haven't felt compelled to spend a penny, but I've got multiple 3 and 4 star characters. I pulled the the Night Stalker old lady 4-star, Luminara 3-star, Asajj 3-star.. all very powerful characters. I've never even SEEN above a 5-star, and those folks are either incredibly lucky or whales.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

New Leaf posted:

To be fair, you can also get full versions of them as well, and the pieces are rewards from all sort of things. I think you're jumping to conclusions. A lot of them cost like 30 to unlock a 2-3 star, then 30 more to upgrade them from, say, 2 star to 3 star, then 65 for 3 to 4, etc. If you do the Galactic War and get any decent way in, you're going to get anywhere between 400-800 gems. 5 pieces of a certain character is 400 gems, and it will refresh a couple times a day. 3 days of that and you get your new character.

That said, I haven't felt compelled to spend a penny, but I've got multiple 3 and 4 star characters. I pulled the the Night Stalker old lady 4-star, Luminara 3-star, Asajj 3-star.. all very powerful characters. I've never even SEEN above a 5-star, and those folks are either incredibly lucky or whales.
I understand the progression of it, but from someone who's just downloaded the game today, it's not exactly encouraging me to open my wallet. I could throw £8 at the game to buy a four-character pack, and have no new characters to play for it. I think I may have come off a bit too :rant: about it, it's just kind of crap that you can throw real money at the game, and have nothing to show for it.

I just wanted to hack people up with laser-swords, and shoot them with brightly coloured pew-pew dammit. :argh:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I'm at around floor 1150, but if I set a team loose there on autoplay, they wipe out really fast and don't net that much. I'm just trying to find the ideal setup to leave the game to run itself on my desk.

4 Dark Mages with anti-magic bottles and a knight, in that order. Boost their raw attack and magic % as much as possible.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

4 Dark Mages with anti-magic bottles and a knight, in that order. Boost their raw attack and magic % as much as possible.

Pretty much this, although I'd add that you also want to boost up the MP relic as well, because the game uses that number to calculate the damage for one of the dark mage spells. So, attack relic, mp relic, magic damage relic, and the DM specific relic. Also maybe the gold relic. Don't bother with any of the essence boosting items, because something's bugged about the essence find % right now, so if anything you want to boost gold as much as possible and throw it down the magic well to get essence that way.

Eventually you get to the point where the main limitation on your runs is stopping to convert gold to relics before it spills over into caps (which don't do anything right now). I'm already having to stop every 100 levels for this, although really I don't even know why I'm playing any more. Something to leave my phone doing while I'm working, I suppose.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

limited posted:

I understand the progression of it, but from someone who's just downloaded the game today, it's not exactly encouraging me to open my wallet. I could throw £8 at the game to buy a four-character pack, and have no new characters to play for it. I think I may have come off a bit too :rant: about it, it's just kind of crap that you can throw real money at the game, and have nothing to show for it.

I just wanted to hack people up with laser-swords, and shoot them with brightly coloured pew-pew dammit. :argh:

If it makes you feel any better, I dropped $10 because why the hell not, and I came up with squat haha.. I feel your pain, but you'll be swimming in awesome laser sword people soon.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Just wanted to mention mabinogi dual again, there's the around thirty three of us in this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753768&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sadly I only seem to have 32 friend slots (so far) I was just thinking about how much I hated limited Stamina games, but I hardly ever run out in mabinogi duel and I haven't spend a penny yet so..

It's a trading card game where you can actually trade, although it's still a little crude.

It differs from hearthstone in that you can actually trade. There's 12 card slots that you recycle from the grave if need be.

Pretty fun

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 19, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

FredMSloniker posted:

I got four surveys in a row on whether I'd been to any of a list of five stores. And when I say 'four surveys in a row', I mean I answered the first, got told I had another waiting (which turned out to be identical), answered that, got told I had another waiting, and so on. If I'd actually been to any of those stores, it would have been a nice bit of funbucks, but even so, ten cents quadrupled isn't bad.
I have reviewed my local Safeway and given it four stars so many times at this point that I think I've made $15 off it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dirk the Average posted:

where do I get anti magic bottles?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

For anyone looking for a dumb 'tap until your fingers fall off' game, the people behind Tap Titans have just released Tap Tycoon. It's kind of similar to Titans, at least insofar as you'll be tapping the hell out of the screen, buying upgrades, then prestiging and starting over with incremental permanent improvements, but it's different enough that it's not really just a reskin. I've only screwed around with it a few minutes so far, but I haven't come across any obvious bullshit mechanics like Titans's bosses suddenly killing characters and then giving you a long wait or an IAP cost to bring them back.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

where do I get anti magic bottles?

Run floors 50-150 with 4 thieves, a knight, and as much item find as you can scrounge up. You'll generally get 0-2 per run; took me 4 runs to get all 4.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There's a star wars galaxy of heroes thread now. It needs more people chatting in it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zotix posted:

There's a star wars galaxy of heroes thread now. It needs more people chatting in it.

Don't bother to link it or anything.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755100 SWars Galaxy of Heroes thread

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

Sorry quickly saw the post at work. Didn't have enough time to link it

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Just in time for Christmas: Lifeline: Silent Night.

Also the ports of Baldur's Gate, its sequel and Icewind Dale are on sale (80% off in the case of Icewind)..

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Do you think the Carol bells (and other Christmas items) will go away eventually from Soda Dungeons? I really dig 'em.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Lowness 72 posted:

Is the FFT port good? Should I pick it up? A lot of the reviews bitching that it doesn't work.

pretty sure this is the case with reviews for any app tho

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Suicide Pacmen posted:

pretty sure this is the case with reviews for any app tho

Doesn't work on my Motorola StarTAC, one star.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Polygamy simulator Age of Procreation DX is pretty fun and funny.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I tried Tap Tycoon. It's AdVenture Capitalist reskinned plus an artifact system like Clicker Heroes/Tap Titans but called Technologies. Not really any ingame info on how you get more past the 3 I got on the first prestige. After doubling my wealth and prestiging twice more with no more artifacts I'm bored. It has nearly 800 upgrades for your buildings and powerups. Stick with your current favorite idler there's nothing new on offer here.

e: also the Tap Titans community is pretty upset because the updates on that game have slowed to a crawl and then out pops this game instead.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Is anyone playing Call of Champions? It's a moba where matches take ~5 minutes, with very simple mechanics but kind of surprising depth. I've played a couple games of it so far, and it's actually pretty fun. Basically, you are in a 3v3 match with a time limit of 5 minutes to push 2 orbs (one on top one on the bottom) to take out your opponents towers, whoever kills more towers at the end of the game wins. There are a pretty high number of configurations/strategies people try out, and although the touch controls are a bit odd they work pretty well all in all and most of the classic moba archetypes are present.

I haven't seen any mentions of it, so figured I'd throw one out there:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sts.ch&hl=en

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Call of Champions, would you recommend playing it on a phone?

Vainglory works great on a phone but you're going to be gimped by the screen size and mistaps.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

I find that you can usually get fountains often enough with the knight that you don't need the anti-magic bottles, and can use another magic power item in that slot. Yeah sometimes I'll look back at my phone and my first dark mage is on 1 MP, but most of the time it works out ok and they get wiped before they run dry.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I bought the Android version of Final Fantasy Tactics because even my Nexus 6P seems incapable of emulating the PSP version without slowdowns.

It appears the Android version does not support any kind of native resume feature, if you exit the app long enough that the state is removed from memory then you have to reload from your last formal save point.

Is there a workaround I am missing, or is the port just that lazy?

This makes it essentially impossible to play in short bursts, as you'll have to restart if you don't make it all the way to a save point.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

El Disco posted:

I find that you can usually get fountains often enough with the knight that you don't need the anti-magic bottles, and can use another magic power item in that slot. Yeah sometimes I'll look back at my phone and my first dark mage is on 1 MP, but most of the time it works out ok and they get wiped before they run dry.

This is true once you get enough levels in the mana and dark mage relics, but with the big spell costing 8mp, it's a great precaution early. You can also put the bottles on only the first two dark mages, since they spend the most mp.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

EzEight posted:

Vainglory works great on a phone but you're going to be gimped by the screen size and mistaps.

I played it for a couple of hours this morning and I have to say it's actually quite well designed and I had *gasps* fun!

commish
Sep 17, 2009

limited posted:

Games have been using that mechanic far before Marvel Heroes. The fact that you pay 350 gems for a premium pack and get parts of a character is beyond silly. Packs are best avoided completely. Better to spend on energy and just farm your pieces.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

commish posted:

Games have been using that mechanic far before Marvel Heroes. The fact that you pay 350 gems for a premium pack and get parts of a character is beyond silly. Packs are best avoided completely. Better to spend on energy and just farm your pieces.

I just got a complete character from a pack, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about there.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I really wish that Soda Dungeon had some type of cloud saving or backup mechanic. Had to reset my phone last night and lost all my progress.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Drone posted:

I just got a complete character from a pack, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about there.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

EzEight posted:

It works better on a phone than Vainglory imo, but I do have a phablet with a ~6 inch screen so it might be different if you go smaller.

It is somewhat better on a tablet, but still readable and fun on a phone.

It really is just a very surprisingly good port of the moba style and a solid game in its own right.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
I was really getting into the MTG match 3 game til i finished the story and realised there is literally nothing else to do.

For such a big brand that was a weak sauce experience.

I will always have fond memories of the early days of Marvels attempt at it before it got loving ridiculous with IAPs and poo poo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In Soda Dungeon, I have Dasha, the MP regen pet, equipped and it got to level 3 as I was fighting the level 500 boss, but my party members never regained any MP. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You only regen HP/MP after an enemy takes a turn and since ideally enemies never get a turn it's largely useless.