Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah that sounds solid can't disagree with any of it, just personal preferance. I really like thebombardier build I just wish there was something like the Witcher 2's arena mode now that I've gotten a good feel for the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So Ciri mentions traveling to some incredible world where everyone has metal IN their head and don't use horses and use computers to wage war at a long distance. And these guys are making a cyberpunk game next? Hmmmm wonder if that was a little hint?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

If Witcher 3 sidequests are anything to go by, it'll probably be more than throwaway cameo. Wouldn't be surprised if it was like that Fool's Gold quest in terms of size.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have just finished expansion's Painted world quest and am now wondering how am I supposed to enjoy other games?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Doctor Bombadil posted:

I have just finished expansion's Painted world quest and am now wondering how am I supposed to enjoy other games?
I know. Every RPG I enjoyed now pales in comparison. I've got all trophies in Fallout 4 (apart from one trophy which is bugged to the point of near impossibility) and that didn't scratch the itch left by The Witcher 3.

I mean, I'm still gonna play Ultima VII again but it's now relegated to being the second best RPG of all time. Thanks a lot CDPR :mad:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way you can in fact block then use the d-pad to swap signs. Are there other good-to-know control tips that the game didn't get around to mentioning?

quote:

I used Aard instead of the crossbow when its swooping at me just because it seems far more reliable. Keep Quen up, Aard it when it swoops, dodge towards it, get one or two strong hits in, the repeatedly dodge back. Restore Quen if needed, then it should be launching itself airborne for you to repeat. Also, DoTs are definitely worth applying just because it spends a lot of time when you can't really get to it safely. Its a bitch of a fight though.

The only DOT I have is Igni, which does nearly nothing to it. The only bomb I have is Sarum or whatever the flashbang is called.

I guess while I'm griping I'm not liking at all how alchemy is handled in this game compared to Witcher 1 or even 2. I'm just not feeling a lot of stuff in this game, especially crafting/alchemy/bombs. Since I did the Keira and Letho sidequests I'm just going to ignore these other ones for now until about level 11, just do the main quest for experience since everything else is worthless in that respect, then see how things are going when I can equip the Griffin armor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just to get it out of the way I tried lowering the difficulty to story only against the shrieker and learned two things:

1. The quick dodge doesn't work at all against this guy, rolling's the only thing that works and only for one attack.
2. You really have to try to die on Story Only mode.

Also for some reason Swallow stopped working. That's weird.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of hard fights can be slowly beaten just by making sure you always have quen up and run the gently caress away the moment it goes down. Just shields up, get in a couple hits, fall back and re-quen.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Just to get it out of the way I tried lowering the difficulty to story only against the shrieker and learned two things:

1. The quick dodge doesn't work at all against this guy, rolling's the only thing that works and only for one attack.
2. You really have to try to die on Story Only mode.

Also for some reason Swallow stopped working. That's weird.

Sidestepping in general is against humans only. Any monster and you have to Quen-and-roll.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I beat the shrieker at listed level on deathmarch. It was hard but I used thunderbolt potion a lot, quen and roll, and axii to drop it. You definitely have to use potions, oils, etc. But its definitely doable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I beat the shrieker at listed level on deathmarch. It was hard but I used thunderbolt potion a lot, quen and roll, and axii to drop it. You definitely have to use potions, oils, etc. But its definitely doable.

When I meant 'impossible' I meant for me, but at level 7 with nothing it's weak to, and death is two hits, and the damage bleeds through improved Quen, I just wanted to kill it and move on because I happened to save as it was swooping. I can't get the roll timing down at all. Pretty good at countering though, combat's a bit of a chore but I only really have trouble with drowners (attack and move faster than me blah) or large packs of enemies in close quarters (like wraiths in a tiny room, even with yrden they can just juggle me). This was the first thing I straight couldn't beat and died to though.

quote:

Sidestepping in general is against humans only. Any monster and you have to Quen-and-roll.

I thought it was parry humans, dodge fast attacks, roll big attacks. Though I've been mostly rolling anyway, I was just trying the dodge because it was suggested.

Swallow started working again after the fight. Just a little bug I guess.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Swallow started working again after the fight. Just a little bug I guess.

there's a lot of little bugs like that, i've seen that swallow one and I keep running into one where, if you make a shield guy drop his shield, you can't hit him with your sword. he doesn't dodge or anything, your hits just go through him. thank god for igni!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Megazver posted:

What? No, spamming sidestep is how I dodge drowners/ghouls. You just can't use it to try to dodge backwards against them. I also use it to close distance quickly. There's no reason to walk in a fight at all, really. Big monsters get the roll, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Okay, humanoids. :colbert:

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I ran into my first game breaking bug when I was getting ursine normal gear and a lever wouldn't open a door and I was stuck. I ended up watching a video on how to clip out through the world to leave.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Megazver posted:

Okay, humanoids. :colbert:

I actually have a lot of luck in griffon/cockatrice fights by using a sideways dodge to get around an attack and get a few hits on their flank. It gets tricky and you have to keep an eye out for spin attacks and tail whips, but it seems to work pretty well for me.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I rarely ever rolled and beat the game just fine by spamming side steps

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I'm not super great at the combat - I'm too impatient - but I ended up beating the Shrieker by running to the water to the left of the cave entrance. If you hang out in it you can get deep enough that the monster just stares at you while you igni it. Not too proud that I had to cheese it, but I just couldn't manage to dodge/roll out of attack ranges, and having only 3 swallow pots and no oil that worked against that monster type made it pretty hard.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
All the gryphon type fliers I've encountered so far are all really flammable and take enormous damage from igni/bombs. Alt yrden will also make them crash if they try to fly over it. If getting in their faces is giving you trouble, get some distance and bait them into taking off and doing those heavily telegraphed and predictable swoops that you can cancel them out of extremely easily and that leaves them stunned when you do it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So more general lore questions.

This universe seems to have a lot of different worlds that are sort of aware of each other. Are these like other dimensions/realities or actually other solar systems or something within one consistent universe? What is the winter that seems to end up consuming worlds? There's elves in what ever world the game takes place in, but the wild hunt seem to be elves from their own elf-only world. Is that the origional home world of elves and they've just immigrated to the game's world, or are there multiple worlds filled with humans and elves and dwarves. Also unicorns what??? And apparently they aren't all fantasy worlds considering ciri describes one that sounds pretty cyberpunk. Do all the worlds have magic and the same general laws of physics?

Also if there's so many worlds why is the wild hunt focused on this one to conquer, why not pick some push-over backwards world?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Also if there's so many worlds why is the wild hunt focused on this one to conquer, why not pick some push-over backwards world?

Ciri.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RBA Starblade posted:

Are there other good-to-know control tips that the game didn't get around to mentioning?

Yeah. This one drove me loving crazy until I figured it out. The up and down d-pad has multiple functions, you have to tap to use a potion, if you hold it it switches to your alternate pocket item.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

So more general lore questions.

This universe seems to have a lot of different worlds that are sort of aware of each other. Are these like other dimensions/realities or actually other solar systems or something within one consistent universe? What is the winter that seems to end up consuming worlds? There's elves in what ever world the game takes place in, but the wild hunt seem to be elves from their own elf-only world. Is that the origional home world of elves and they've just immigrated to the game's world, or are there multiple worlds filled with humans and elves and dwarves. Also unicorns what??? And apparently they aren't all fantasy worlds considering ciri describes one that sounds pretty cyberpunk. Do all the worlds have magic and the same general laws of physics?

I think the idea is that they are seperate dimensions. Most of the crossover happened during the conjunction of the spheres, in which all the magical creatures (and also humans, iirc) arrived on the game's world from elsewhere. The elves are split into the Aen Elle and the Aen Sidhe, with the Aen Elle being the elves of the world that the wild hunt hails from, and the Aen Sidhe being the elves of the game's world. They had some interaction in the past, and the Aen Elle at least possess limited means of crossing between worlds post-conjunction.

As one late-game quest showcases, some of the other worlds can be pretty alien or otherwise hostile, even if the white frost hasn't consumed it already. I suppose the game world is the only one the Aen Elle know of that they find reasonably hospitable and expect to be able to live on for some time before the white frost reaches it. Edit: Plus they need Ciri to move between worlds with the numbers needed to actually invade another world, and Ciri just happens be connected to this world.

As for the white frost itself is never fully explained, but basically there's a prophecy says that sooner or later every world will be consumed by an eternal winter, and some worlds seem to have been reached by it already.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Overall, the writing seems to mostly just hint at the overall multiverse or whatever. Geralt's world is very magical and there are some scientific and sci-fi elements but those are quite limited and not the focus.

The setting clearly has ties to other worlds/dimensions, but it doesn't go Elder Scrolls up its own rear end with trying to be all Kirkbridian ~metaphysical mindfuck magical fantasy scifi~

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A lot of the wild hunt reminds me of Black Company's exact same dimensions.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Wow, thankfully this wall clip also worked on console to escape the ursine armor room. What a crappy bug.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How come the wild hunt are just normal elfs but when their face masks are on they sound like monsters?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Baronjutter posted:

How come the wild hunt are just normal elfs but when their face masks are on they sound like monsters?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 19, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Baronjutter posted:

It's a war tactic, they're specifically invoking fear with both the look of their armor and the masks changing sound.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
The alt gwent cars are really loving good.
They even make dandelion look slightly threatening.

Those 3 in particular though.

i wish keira got an alt one.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

At one point someone compares White Frost to entropy, so I took it as all the universes are going to die a heat death eventually, which you can't really stop?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know where to find the console codes for trophies? I just got a mod that changes the effects of them to be a lot more interesting and now I'm regretting selling off the ones I already got as junk.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Butyraceous posted:

At one point someone compares White Frost to entropy, so I took it as all the universes are going to die a heat death eventually, which you can't really stop?

I think that's how Sapkowski wrote it - "eventually" being relative of course, Aen Elle seemingly live long enough that they have to actually care about it personally. Then CDPR turned it into something else.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007
How to get super pissed off and then feel elated enough to where you have to relate this to someone:

Finally get to Hearts of Stone expansion on your NG+ Deathmarch game but you're only level 56 because screw doing everything in the main quest after you get back to Kaer Morhen, but all the expansion quests so far are level 62. It's not the worst with a swords and alchemy build, you just have to play smart-ish and repair a lot until... (Unnecessary spoiler bars?)

You get to the Ofieri Mage battle. Screw that (Optional) flag, you're Geralting these guys. Die about 10 to 12 times against the entire group. When things start to get easy and you start feeling good about yourself you die another 10 to 12 times against the mage himself because he's bullshit on a stick and can damage me with one move that takes off my 11,760 hp.

Then figure out (get lucky?) that you can separate the mage's army from him, kill off the soldiers, save, then only die once in one-on-one battle before dropping that dude and getting a dismember move where you slice his face off. A glorious ending to something I normally can't ever put up with.

I wasn't sure if you could just run away, save, and comeback, but I felt this was a little bit manlier and mostly legit, since it wasn't planned and he was just chilling back by the boat while his crew got slaughtered.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Did you put back on all your armor and equipment before the fight, because it's not immediately obvious that you can and some folks did that fight with naked Geralt.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought it was parry humans, dodge fast attacks, roll big attacks. Though I've been mostly rolling anyway, I was just trying the dodge because it was suggested.

Once you get the hang of it dodging forward and going at the flank speeds up a lot of solo monster fights. I use the same tactics on werewolves, for instance. Here's a few seconds of me fighting the Shreiker that illustrate it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjqJORIDttw You can see that the wing attack misses completely and by staying in that position it favours wing attacks.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of hard fights can be slowly beaten just by making sure you always have quen up and run the gently caress away the moment it goes down. Just shields up, get in a couple hits, fall back and re-quen.

You don't even need quen. A lot of the super hard fights like the level 50 or whatever archgriffin I won by just beating patient. Roll/dodge/whatever. Use Igni or aard to stun and hack.

It's a personal preference thing in the end but I'm really amazed at how many goons lean on quen. I used it really once the whole game and that was just because that spike maze is stupid with a controller.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
OK I'm seeing some conflicting stuff online about the possibility of either "gangs of novigrad" or "get junior" bugging out on you if you do them wrong. Is there a specific order to do things in OR has this been fixed in a patch or something?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

OK I'm seeing some conflicting stuff online about the possibility of either "gangs of novigrad" or "get junior" bugging out on you if you do them wrong. Is there a specific order to do things in OR has this been fixed in a patch or something?

I don't know about any bugs for those quests but you can only complete one of them. They are just different paths to the same goal.

Edit: Also I was wondering if anyone knows the optimal quest order for white orchard. I just restarted my death march run since I haven't played for awhile and would like to be level 4 or as close as possible by the end of the area so I can equip the Temerian armor.

Cnidaria fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

i didn't encounter any bugs but completing one will fail the other as they're just two different ways of reaching the same goal.

e: refresh before posting