Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

nollij posted:

Got a couple of those. They are more "horse cock" than pistol grip. So now we have pecker heads and horse cocks...

thats a horse cock (fyi dont scroll down looking for better examples when searching for "horse cock cable pull")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CJacobs posted:

For example, not clicking on that link is a good way to protect your eyes from the horror that lurks within

This seems way overdramatic for a guy with a nail going through three of his fingers and very little blood to be seen. Like seriously, you make it sound like a photo of what was left of that poor bastard sucked into a jet engine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hot Karl Marx posted:

thats a horse cock (fyi dont scroll down looking for better examples when searching for "horse cock cable pull")

Why not?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

:nws: if you work somewhere lame
http://i.imgur.com/pVVaFEm.jpg

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

I would say yes, since the Predator's camera feed only shows a visible image. Painting your tanks RealTree doesn't really help against a thermal imager.

I wonder if he considered what happens if the parachute lands on top of the solar panels.

Bearing in mind that, from the sky, a mirror on the ground isn't going to show grass. It's going to show sky, horizon, treetops. It's going to look nothing at all like the grass surrounding it, so it'll be very easily visible from drones.

Unless of course the stuff is supposed to be magical adaptive camo rather than mirrors in which case sure, why not?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Bearing in mind that, from the sky, a mirror on the ground isn't going to show grass. It's going to show sky, horizon, treetops. It's going to look nothing at all like the grass surrounding it, so it'll be very easily visible from drones.

Unless of course the stuff is supposed to be magical adaptive camo rather than mirrors in which case sure, why not?

Custom paint for every vehicle before deployment?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

Looked like a fabric roll, which in it's defense, would be cheap to place.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hyperlynx posted:

I thought it was rolled up camo being pulled over the solar panels.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah, you're right. I'm dumb.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

porta-dacha :ussr:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You'd never bother looking with a normal camera. With the heat output of those things you'd be able to see them with a thermal imaging satellite.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Boiled Water posted:

You'd never bother looking with a normal camera. With the heat output of those things you'd be able to see them with a thermal imaging satellite.

and now for something completely different actually real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLqdFsMnCE

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

If we're going to get serious about camouflage, I think we should equip those tanks with a camera at the bottom and a large printer to create the sheet that goes on top. Why settle for an approximate pattern, when it can take an HD picture of the spot it landed on and become truly invisible instead?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

My father screwed his thumb to a Tim Horton's ceiling joist at 4 in the morning before anybody else was there and got to stand on tiptoe for like several hours cause he dropped the drill when it happened. Stay Frosty Out There

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Boy Scouts get pissed when you mock their salute.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d1d_1450449227

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

jetz0r posted:

I thought it was rolled up camo being pulled over the solar panels.

1. Drop tank drones with solar panels
2. Immediately cover those panels with camouflage pattern to avoid detection
3. ???
4. Land supremacy

Estimating an area of 3m*4m and panel efficiency of 20%, you'd get about 2.5kW power peak at best, which it will never reach because the panels are parallel to the ground.
Expect high-speed maneuvers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm impressed by how fast the two workers got a hold of themselves and walked away.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

and now for something completely different actually real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLqdFsMnCE

Huh, I didn't realize that anyone had gotten this to work. The exhaust is still lit up, but I wonder how much they increased the exhaust volume to diffuse it

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Regarding electrical terminology, I prefer "line terminal compartment" to "peckerhead" for the definition of the location where a motor's stator is connected to a power source.

For the high voltage motors, those compartments are the size of a washing machine and we generally have differential current transformers in there to make sure that all the current that goes into the motor's stator comes out stator to the Wye point. It's like a GFCI or RCI. If current going in doesn't equal current going out, there's a big problem inside of the motor, and the motor needs to be shut off.

"Pothead" still makes me giggle.

I have never heard of a switchgear pistol-grip switch referred to as a "horse cock".

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 19, 2015

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

Ahh, but you miss the subtle brilliance. As long as they are just sitting there like landmines with guns, they are thermally neutral and don't need the solar panels either!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dahir Insaat doesn't just do military hardware, he/she has also branched into the medical field: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhErVEAhym8

OSHA if you work in a hospital I guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah yeah let's just seal up this entire artery while we work inside.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
how are statins not infinitely easier

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

how are statins not infinitely easier

Some people have problems taking statins and they don't play well with some other drugs you might be on. They're still probably a ton safer than pigging your arteries with a tiny tunnel boring machine though.

Seriously, if you even want to go down that road, a tiny version of a toilet snake operated the same way as a cardiac catheterization would probably work much better and be safer than a free floating robot.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 19, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
exercise and dieting? gently caress that doc shoot one of them piggy things through my carotid!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's totally weird how they trying to improve on this way-out and wacky surgery they've only be doing for 70 loving YEARS.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dahir Insaat is going to be remembered as the DaVinci of our time.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Oh, when forcefields and magical nanomachines make his ideas feasible?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

His head in a jar is going to be so rich.
Youll see.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Can you dig it?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grey Fox posted:

Can you dig it?

I'm honestly a bit surprised that the person who put up the sign at the top didn't accidentally topple in while trying to stick it up.

I mean I'm just assuming they stood on the wobbliest chair they could find to reach, but I can't imagine them using anything else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dr_rat posted:

I'm honestly a bit surprised that the person who put up the sign at the top didn't accidentally topple in while trying to stick it up.

I mean I'm just assuming they stood on the wobbliest chair they could find to reach, but I can't imagine them using anything else.

Or just reached up.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

buttcoinbrony posted:

Dahir Insaat doesn't just do military hardware, he/she has also branched into the medical field: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhErVEAhym8

OSHA if you work in a hospital I guess.

And he's also taken camping to the next level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGVqZX4o0w

I can't stop watching these things.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

manlet spotted

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

dr_rat posted:

I remember in the level before the missile silo in Half Life there was a very nicely planned trap involving a slippery floor and a jammed open elevator shaft door.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

I remember in the level before the missile silo in Half Life there was a very nicely planned trap involving a slippery floor and a jammed open elevator shaft door.

Dude! Your "On a Rail!"

I'll show myself out now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Three-Phase posted:

Hey, at least they had proper warning signs!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

VendaGoat posted:

Dude! Your "On a Rail!"

I'll show myself out now.

Actually it's in We've Got Hostiles, which precedes Blast Pit (the silo with tentacle monsters in it).

...I will also show myself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GotLag posted:

Actually it's in We've Got Hostiles, which precedes Blast Pit (the silo with tentacle monsters in it).

...I will also show myself out.

I'm not the biggest nerd upon Earth!
:dance: :slick:

• Locked thread