Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

parara posted:

This. Why else would he have a piece of the map to Luke?
Sure, Snydow's character was somebody. But Rey is a nobody. She is hooked on this adventure because she found BB8. That she is Force-sensitive is also a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kurzon posted:

Sure, Snydow's character was somebody. But Rey is a nobody. She is hooked on this adventure because she found BB8. That she is Force-sensitive is also a coincidence.

Sure, Guinness' character was somebody. But Luke is a nobody. He is hooked on this adventure because he found R2. That he is Force-sensitive is also a coincidence.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Well, I don't recall anybody in this film alluding to a special heritage for Rey.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Doc Morbid posted:

When Luke tells Obi-Wan in ROTJ that he "can't kill his own father", Obi-Wan just shakes his head and says that means the Emperor has already won. He definitely thinks the only way to handle Vader is to kill him.

This is a few pages back, but Obi-Wan is just as possibly reacting to Luke's reading "confront" and "face" as "kill."

Luke assuming "confront" meant "kill" means he's already thinking in Dark Side terms, as well as being confused enough about Light Side values to think every other good Jedi wants him to kill his dad.

Additionally if Vader could not be redeemed, the confrontation would only end with Luke's corruption or Vader's death. Luke is saying that killing dad is off the table, which only leaves "Emperor wins" scenarios.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How did Poe survive anyway? I missed that bit.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How did Poe survive anyway? I missed that bit.

He was just sent flying, by the time he came to Finn, BB8, and Rey were gone

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Kurzon posted:

Well, I don't recall anybody in this film alluding to a special heritage for Rey.

If only she had some kind of inheritance from the original trilogy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This has probably been answered before but uh... does the Empire not realize when you extinguish a sun it kind of throws gravity out of whack not to mention turn your planet into an uninhabitable ice ball? The empire isn't exactly original with their death laser fetish but this is a new one. Destroying a single planet is enough to gently caress up the entire solar system, you don't need multiple planetary destruction lasers.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Also the romance was weirdly kiddy G rated in comparison to epic romances in serials. "Get on the ship, THEN KISS HER" would be a better moment than the weird "can we show a black man kissing a white woman?" vibe i got

There wasn't really any romance, though. I got the same vibe between Luke and Leia. A peck here, a hug there. "Thank you for saving my life, you're a dear friend but there's other poo poo we gotta do right now." Although I did see it with a friend's dad and when they're patting each other on the back for taking out two fighters he turns to me and says "Hmph, millennials."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

al-azad posted:

This has probably been answered before but uh... does the Empire not realize when you extinguish a sun it kind of throws gravity out of whack not to mention turn your planet into an uninhabitable ice ball? The empire isn't exactly original with their death laser fetish but this is a new one. Destroying a single planet is enough to gently caress up the entire solar system, you don't need multiple planetary destruction lasers.

Don't worry about the science in Star Wars.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

A friend of mine (who will probably read this here, hello) just speculated to me that Lor San Tekka might actually be Wedge Antillies, explaining the helmet Rey has as well as the little xwing pilot doll. He's a close friend of Luke's, left to watch over her from afar?

I realise he has a backstory as the leader of the Church of the Force etc but I still don't see why that couldn't be Wedge later in life.

One snag is that the actor who played Wedge could have just come back to play him, but he did refuse.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I thought it was funny that they'd built the thing next to a sun that only had two shots worth of star in it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kurzon posted:

If Rey was someone special, she wouldn't have been left alone on Jakku. Obi-Wan made sure to hand baby Luke to relatives, and he made a home for himself to keep a close eye on him.

In the flashback we see she was left with someone (we don't see their face but a google search shows it was the junk dealer) and not just dropped off alone. We aren't told what happened after that or why she was living alone by the time BB-8 turned up.
Also Rey was old enough to know who dropped her off so it's not a mystery to her, it's just something that she's not telling anyone else (including the audience).

al-azad posted:

This has probably been answered before but uh... does the Empire not realize when you extinguish a sun it kind of throws gravity out of whack not to mention turn your planet into an uninhabitable ice ball?

It already is an iceball when TFA starts so maybe they've had a few test runs beforehand on uninhabited planets. The shield generator might hold the atmosphere in place while all that plasma is shooting into and then back out of the planet.
I forget, does Hux mention whether this is the first time they're firing the weapon or not?

moths posted:

I thought it was funny that they'd built the thing next to a sun that only had two shots worth of star in it.

Plenty more stars in the galaxy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't think it was mobile, they built it out of a planet.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

moths posted:

I don't think it was mobile, they built it out of a planet.

It basically has a giant rocket engine in it that can harness the entire mass of a star. It could probably move.

e: also planets are mobile, that's essentially the point of them. Without the star there for the planet to "fall towards" it should essentially just go flying away at constant speed anyway. Then again science in Star Wars.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 19, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The most important cameo is Nien Nunb and he's looking great after 30 years.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yes, let's just fly our planet to the next system and... poo poo. Can we stop buying discount plans from the Geonosians?

e: No, I'm not concerned about the science behind it. After all, an asteroid monster's stomach shields you from radiation and the freezing cold of space.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Literally warring with stars.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They didn't explain how Porkins came back to life...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

al-azad posted:

Yes, let's just fly our planet to the next system and... poo poo. Can we stop buying discount plans from the Geonosians?

They wouldn't need to move it around a lot after they'd demonstrated its power the first time, they'd basically be running a protection racket over the entire galaxy with the threat of your home planet getting Starkilled hanging over everyone. It's pretty much useless for anything except blowing up planets and snuffing out stars and that's not something they'd need to do that often.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

al-azad posted:

Nah, just give the planet a hyperrdrive and you're fine.

The real problem is you now have the mass of a star in the core of your planet and it should have the surface gravity of a star, meaning people would be pancakes.

But as a great man once said, "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes. And other science facts. Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax.'"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nitrousoxide posted:

The real problem is you now have the mass of a star in the core of your planet and it should have the surface gravity of a star, meaning people would be pancakes.

Well it's already been shown to have a few performance issues if the containment system isn't in optimal working condition ...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The star energy is contained and then expelled in the form of an intra-galactic death ray. The final shot of the starkiller after it explodes actually has all of the star energy released and the planet itself starts burning like a star, which is of course laughable cause stars are generally about a million times larger than any terran planet could ever hope to get but who cares really.

Just to make the starbase sequence less ridiculous assume the following:
1. Yes, planets can be moved (proof: the death star is loving huge and moves through hyperspace with no difficulties, so it's not unthinkable for planets to be mobile as well).
2. In fact, the republic planets as well as the rebel base were likely moved into the same system (or were just lumps of rock that were terraformed).
3. The starkiller fully consumes a star (hence its name) and moves on to a different system to have a readily available source of fuel. It is likely that it can draw more than one charge per star.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Related, here's a brief article about the construction of the Starkiller base set:
http://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-first-order-base/

Apparently most of the set was modular so they could pull it apart and put it back again in different configurations for different scenes, something like a giant Lego set.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

They didn't explain how Porkins came back to life...

I was expecting hamburgers and french fries to fly all around the cockpit every time he came into picture. I'll be sorely let down by the internet if a gif in this vein isn't eventually made.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

They seem to be implying that the Sith traditions are completely over and done with (no "Darth" titles on either Ren or Snoke, and the line about "First the Sith, then the Empire, now the First Order" implying the Sith ways are as nonexistent as the Empire), and I'm wondering if this is something they're going to address further with the next movies, or if it's purely a creative decision designed to give the future movies/tv shows/comics/etc more leeway in creating new dark side Force users.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Han icing the baton-twirling stormtrooper was a nice Indian Jones hat-tip

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grey Fox posted:

They seem to be implying that the Sith traditions are completely over and done with (no "Darth" titles on either Ren or Snoke, and the line about "First the Sith, then the Empire, now the First Order" implying the Sith ways are as nonexistent as the Empire), and I'm wondering if this is something they're going to address further with the next movies, or if it's purely a creative decision designed to give the future movies/tv shows/comics/etc more leeway in creating new dark side Force users.

I think it's important that the Sith stay dead, or else it kind of cheapens Luke and Vader's actions at the end of Jedi.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just saw the movie.

I'm not sure I understood, did the First Order destroy the Republic? I wasn't quite clear on that, I thought the Republic were the top dogs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Frackie Robinson posted:

I think it's important that the Sith stay dead, or else it kind of cheapens Luke and Vader's actions at the end of Jedi.

Agreed, but in that respect I dunno how I feel about Luke's attempt to run a Jedi school ending up going horribly wrong. Everyone's comparing Kylo Ren to Anakin from the Prequels but it's pretty lovely that Luke avoided all the dogma and institutionalised inertia that led to the end of the Jedi Order but somehow ended up creating the same monster.
Edit: of course we don't have the full picture yet and we won't know anything more about that until Episode 8.

Kurtofan posted:

Just saw the movie.

I'm not sure I understood, did the First Order destroy the Republic? I wasn't quite clear on that, I thought the Republic were the top dogs.

Yeah they blew up the current Republic home planet and the nearby planets where the Republic fleet were based. They maybe didn't destroy the Republic 100% but they probably severely crippled it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What were the planets called that were destroyed? The movie never says, just that the solar system was called the New Republic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I said come in! posted:

What were the planets called that were destroyed? The movie never says, just that the solar system was called the New Republic.

It was the Hosnian system, the Republic capital was on Hosnian Prime.

Edit: here's a map from the latest Empire magazine

Edit: the Resistance base was on D'Qar way out near the Outer Rim, Maz Kanata's base in on Takodana.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 19, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Well we don't know how it turned wrong do we? Could be a combination of things, Han being a lousy father, Luke a bad teacher who doesn't know his poo poo, the Darth Vader legacy being a strong pull for Vader Jr, FO propaganda...

Not enough institutions can be just as bad as too much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The star energy is contained and then expelled in the form of an intra-galactic death ray. The final shot of the starkiller after it explodes actually has all of the star energy released and the planet itself starts burning like a star, which is of course laughable cause stars are generally about a million times larger than any terran planet could ever hope to get but who cares really.

Not true, stars can actually be quite small. The smallest star we know of is OGLE-TR-122b, which is only about 20 times larger then Jupiter. So still a very big star but it's safe to assume they can be smaller even.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Yeah they blew up the current Republic home planet and the nearby planets where the Republic fleet were based. They maybe didn't destroy the Republic 100% but they probably severely crippled it.

I see, I'm kind of disappointed because I was expecting more a "powerful republic, empire remnants on the run" kind of situation, feels like it's back to square one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Well we don't know how it turned wrong do we? Could be a combination of things, Han being a lousy father, Luke a bad teacher who doesn't know his poo poo, the Darth Vader legacy being a strong pull for Vader Jr, FO propaganda...

Not enough institutions can be just as bad as too much.

We know snoke got to Kylo but that's about it. snoke seems to be a pretty powerful force user, but it's not known yet if he is a sith lord.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked Finns overly emotional attachment to Rey and that they were super friends rather quickly. It becomes more clear when you realize the reason Finn is so upset about harm coming to Rey is that she's the first human being who has ever been his friend and it's probably the same for Rey.

Kind of nice that it really wasn't a romantic attachment but just two people who were for each of them the first friends they've ever had.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I liked how rey bringing the lightsaber to Luke was kind of a mirror image of her bring scraps at the beginning of the film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm wondering how many deleted scenes will be included in the blu-ray release, I'm guessing there was a bunch that was cut out to keep the pace so snappy and to keep the film close to 2hrs. I'm guessing that the extended cut would make for a better rounded film with a healthy chunk of the worldbuilding exposition that seems to be missing from the theatrical cut.

Kurtofan posted:

I liked how rey bringing the lightsaber to Luke was kind of a mirror image of her bring scraps at the beginning of the film.

Nice point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That assumes there will be an extended cut. I hope there's not, the movie is fine as is, but deleted scenes are always nice.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Jesus Christ people, Rey straight up says "I've flown all kinds of ships, I've just never left the planet." Have y'all not seen the movie? She says it when she and Finn are both congratulating each other on the Falcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wow you guys didn't memorize the whole thing yet? Hand in your nerd cards and take this football. Your name is now brock lesnar.

• Locked thread