Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i agree with timb.

but i also think that the country the countries apple earns this money in should tax apple at a really high rate.
and I think that apple should just be taxed out the rear end domestically at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i agree with timb.

but i also think that the country the countries apple earns this money in should tax apple at a really high rate.
and I think that apple should just be taxed out the rear end domestically at all times.

this but all companies

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also google should be treated as a utility

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

The Management posted:

it's apple's and any other company's option on whether or not to bring their foreign earnings (after local taxes) into the US. when they do this they need to pay huge taxes on it, which is why nobody does it.

instead of penalizing American companies for extracting money from dumb foreigners, they should be encouraged to fleece and gouge idiot non-Americans as best they can and suck their money into the United States.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so why don't they just make the tax rate for overseas poo poo 25% to match ireland?

do the "bleed the beast" republicans just not want the government making enough to fund essential services? or is it just that this congress can't do anything but name parks and poo poo.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

uh try more like 2% if u want to match ireland lol

if there is a repatriation holiday it will probably be like 10% (the last one was 5%). if theres comprehensive tax reform it will be 0% (at least going forward) cause america wont be taxing worldwide income

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
most voters would be rightfully incensed (even republican voters) about a massive tax break on repatriations. both parties benefit from the current situation where repatriation holidays occur every so often with cover from both sides and the rest of the time everyone can point at the other side and scream about how terrible they are

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
allow corporations to repatriate overseas earnings at 0% if they convert it to livestock

eagerly awaiting the conga line of gigantic boats full of goats, cows, sheep

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
voters would be angry because they don't understand how taxes work, meanwhile another company will move its headquarters to the Cayman Islands and never have to worry about this bullshit.

Tim said he would be happy with 15%

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Toady posted:

what was edited out?

no way to know, but presumably more of john siracusa pointing out the marco is an old man yelling at a cloud

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DuckConference posted:

no way to know, but presumably more of john siracusa pointing out the marco is an old man yelling at a butt

"no way to know"

the show is broadcast live

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
gently caress why can't hypercritical just come back? Marco and Casey are so loving terrible.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

cutting siracusa's take is a strange thing to do. he's the draw of the show. casey contributes practically nothing, and marco pontificates without experience or research to back it

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Pinterest Mom posted:

"no way to know"

It would take a special kind of autism to record ATP, or even listen to that show live; and then post the results.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

"no way to know"

i had no idea because i don't care that much

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
you don't get to take advantage of the upper hand the US gov provides you in international trade and then turn around and bitch about how it's not fair to pay taxes on those earnings.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
got my new 2015 15 inch retina MacBook Pro. it is pretty nice.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Dirk Pitt posted:

got my new 2015 15 inch retina MacBook Pro. it is pretty nice.

how does yospos look on the retina screen?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

you don't get to take advantage of the upper hand the US gov provides you in international trade and then turn around and bitch about how it's not fair to pay taxes on those earnings.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Necc0 posted:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

tim cook getting mad and saying "we pay every penny we owe" when being accused of tax avoidance is disingenuous as gently caress. the ceo of apple knows the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
he is absolutely right though. They pay what is owed and they have no further obligations beyond that, whether legal or ethical. the government is not a charity, they set the rules and take what they want. whether you personally feel they should pay higher taxes is another issue but it's your problem not tims

one interesting thing is that there is already a mechanism established to prevent corporations from acquiring huge cash hoards called the accumulated earnings tax. however it is not applied to publicly held companies due to the fact that they don't really accrue benefits just for one person.the us has a really weird system of corporate taxation

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dislike button posted:

he is absolutely right though. They pay what is owed and they have no further obligations beyond that, whether legal or ethical. the government is not a charity, they set the rules and take what they want. whether you personally feel they should pay higher taxes is another issue but it's your problem not tims

read that quote again

quote:

Rose: Here’s what they concluded: “Apple is engaged in a sophisticated scheme to pay little or no corporate taxes on $74 billion in revenue held overseas.”

Cook: “That is total political crap. There is no truth behind it. Apple pays every tax dollar we owe."

apple is engaged in a sophisticated scheme to pay little to no corporate tax. that's not incompatible with them saying they pay every penny they owe. tim is getting mad at someone pointing out something he's actually doing.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
he is calling it political crap because that's what it is. "sophisticated scheme" is juat a politically charged way of saying "doing taxes legally like every other company" but people cry about it because they think it should be more

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"sophisticated scheme to avoid taxes" is a perfectly neutral and factual descriptor.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

"sophisticated scheme to avoid taxes" is a perfectly neutral and factual descriptor.

lomarf is a perfectly neutral and factual way of describing my reaction to this post

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:shrug:

i wouldn't think twice of saying I crossed a state line to avoid sales taxes. that would be an unsophisticated scheme to avoid taxes.

Apple structuring its company specifically to minimise tax exposure is a sophisticated scheme to avoid taxes.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

i wouldn't think twice of saying I crossed a state line to avoid sales taxes. that would be an unsophisticated scheme to avoid taxes.

Apple structuring its company specifically to minimise tax exposure is a sophisticated scheme to avoid taxes.

I agree but "sophisticated tax planning" is a more neutral way of saying that since "tax avoidance scheme" is pretty obviously trying to appeal to people who don't know the difference between tax avoidance and evasion and "scheme" further implies that this hasn't been legal, run of the mill, established tax planning for multinationals for years

Also technically you didn't avoid state taxes you evaded them unless you paid use tax. Which I'm sure everyone here does on their out of state purchases

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
spoiler alert: no meaningful tax reform where companies have to pay more tax will ever happen because stocks would collapse into the earths core and the retirement money in the pension funds of hardworking dads everywhere would disappear

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

apple should continue squeezing every penny out of the system as they legally can because lol if companies that don't use every loophole possible it only encourages the perpetuation of a broken system using the 'we don't need regulation when we can just rely on goodwill' logic; see also tipping culture in the united states, which incidentally leads to another deeply-traditional derail in yospos lore

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

apple should continue squeezing every penny out of the system as they legally can because lol if companies that don't use every loophole possible it only encourages the perpetuation of a broken system using the 'we don't need regulation when we can just rely on goodwill' logic; see also tipping culture in the united states, which incidentally leads to another deeply-traditional derail in yospos lore

let's talk about car transmissions instead

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
yeah the 2 situations are basically that investors would bitch bc they would get lower returns or everyone else would bitch bc their apple products would cost more

im honestly not sold on the idea of a corporate income tax anyway, i think the earnings should be distributed and the shareholders should be responsible since they ultimately benefit. but, the earnings will not be distributed under the current system for several reasons including the fact of double taxation on both the income by the corporation and the dividend by the shareholder, the fact that it can't be brought back to the us without being recognized as income.

the system as is favors retaining funds verses distributing them and favors debt over equity in many cases since interest is tax deductible. which is why apple and other companies have spent the last few years borrowing money to pay for dividends or stock buy backs instead of using their own cash hoards and incurring taxes.

it is kind of funny looking at apples market cap and realizing that its bascially a third cash. also remember that they are only deferring payment on these taxes, not permanently avoiding them

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it is the legal right of every individual and corporation to take any opportunity the law allows to minimize their tax burden. accusing someone of doing this is accusing them of being smart with their money. if the government wants to close some of those avenues, they have the legislative means to do so.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

The Management posted:

it is the legal right of every individual and corporation to take any opportunity the law allows to minimize their tax burden. accusing someone of doing this is accusing them of being smart with their money. if the government wants to close some of those avenues, they have the legislative means to do so.

username post combo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

i actually kind of hate this attitude. it's kind of like saying, it is the legal right of every individual and corporation to emit as much CO2 as they need to do business. yeah, it is their legal right, but that does not make it ethical. can't companies make financial and tax decisions because they are ethical the same way they make environmental ones? tim cook has said "if you don't want us doing green stuff, get out of the stock." he could just as well say "if you want a tax avoider, get out of the stock."

however, paying 40% on an iPhone with chips from Japan, manufactured in China and then sold in Germany is crazy.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
what incentive does apple have to lose almost half of its overseas money by repatriation? they can get loans at like 2% interest rates and just keep that money overseas to deal with expenses there and wait for the tax code to be fixed. People shouldn't get mad at Apple and Buffet for paying exactly what they are required to pay, they are symptoms of a problem of a lovely tax code that needs to be updated to actually reflect how the modern economy works. I don't think morals can really be applied to tax burdens and stuff

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
its not ethical either because 40% of that tax money will go to kill brown ppl

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

i actually kind of hate this attitude. it's kind of like saying, it is the legal right of every individual and corporation to emit as much CO2 as they need to do business. yeah, it is their legal right, but that does not make it ethical. can't companies make financial and tax decisions because they are ethical the same way they make environmental ones? tim cook has said "if you don't want us doing green stuff, get out of the stock." he could just as well say "if you want a tax avoider, get out of the stock."

however, paying 40% on an iPhone with chips from Japan, manufactured in China and then sold in Germany is crazy.

no this analogy doesn't hold up at all. it has nothing to do with ethics and can't be compared to willingly destroying the environment.

calling someone a tax avoider is a really stupid term. it's proper financial decision making for me to deduct my mortgage interest, state income taxes, property taxes, etc which the government explicitly allows me to do, and if I instead for some reason just claimed the standard deduction it doesn't mean I am superior morally or ethically it just means I'm bad with money and as a result have overpaid

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

what incentive does apple have to lose almost half of its overseas money by repatriation? they can get loans at like 2% interest rates and just keep that money overseas to deal with expenses there and wait for the tax code to be fixed. People shouldn't get mad at Apple and Buffet for paying exactly what they are required to pay, they are symptoms of a problem of a lovely tax code that needs to be updated to actually reflect how the modern economy works. I don't think morals can really be applied to tax burdens and stuff

yep and that's pretty much what Tim Cook is saying, it's political crap to attack them for following the rules when the governments responsibility is to set and enforce those rules. Of course they have better things to do like try to repeal obamacare for 70th time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

lol if you tipping minimum isn't 20%

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread