Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

It's worse. It's moe.jpg. Miiverse screenshots are all forced to be jpgs. Another reason Miiverse LPs are a bad idea is because screenshots will be of a lower quality. If you're wondering why my images looked a little more fuzzy than Ragnar's, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 4: Cartography

...Good work, boys!

You could say that.
Well aren't you the ladykiller! But you'd better remember... If you ever make this girl cry... Mama's going to make sure you regret it!
Um... I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I gather you are complimenting Sir Knight and Sir Flavio?
*giggle*... Well! I am glad to hear that!

After meeting with Arianna, the townsfolk have some one time dialogue. We can also talk to them again, to get their 1st floor dialogue. Which Ragnar missed.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything. Bahaha!

Depending on your class, you can use different equipment, so please take a look through our stock. I'll be happy to help!

Let's see what she has to say normally.

Um... are you all okay? It's really dangerous inside. Maybe I'm asking too much, but... try not to get hurt, okay? I'll be praying for your safe return!

...Gotta say though, she seems a different kinda shade from yeh though. Yeh sure she's an explorer?

Uhh, that's not what I... uh... Hrmph. This girl's kinda throwin' me off.

He still has the same talk dialogue as before.

I returned that Whip to a Dark Hunter and I got this as a reward. If you're wondering who it's for, it's meant for Arianna. I'm not sure why, but they decided to let Soverigns equip Whips in this game. Then again, they could equip Rapiers in EO3, and those aren't a weapon type in this game. That could just be a replacement weapon type for them.

Knight and Flavio, was it? She's a little sheltered from the outside world, so I ask that you have patience.

...A little?
Well... yes, that may be a slight understatement... But her intentions are good. I can guarantee you that. I'll be counting on you.

And here's her regular talk dialogue:

I've already heard from the Duke's Palace. I don't know how much I'll be able to do, but if you need help, feel free to ask. ...I suppose that's all I can say. Be careful as you continue your exploration.

And that's it for the town dialogue. For some reason, Dubois doesn't have any new lines for Arianna joining, or the lines for entering the Labyrinth. Anyways, time to get on with things.

As we thought, Wulfgar was waiting here for us.
But is he gonna help us again?

Not even a bark, a growl, or anything? It always has to be ellipses with you, huh?

No sooner does Flavio voice his concern than Wulfgar stands and walks toward you nonchalantly. It seems that he will be shadowing you this time as well.

Guess there was no need to worry.
Yeah. Sorry I doubted you.

Wulfgar, for his part, seems not to mind your doubts regarding his staunchness at all, and looks toward the forest.

He must be bidding us to hurry. Come, sirs, let us set forth once more.

You nod to Arianna and proceed into the forest again to complete your mission.

After you get a certain portion of the map done, the party will chime in.

Well I'm not really doing anything since I imported a completed map, so...

It's starting to bore me.
Ha! Then maybe we should take turns doing it? Let me see that thing.
Yeah... We've walked quite a ways, but there are still a few places we haven't hit yet.
From the look of it, I should guess we're halfway there. I must say, this is exquisitely made, Sir Knight.
Yeah, I guess we made the right call in leaving it up to him. So keep up the good work!

You nod to Flavio, and return to your investigation of the forest.

As you walk the forest, you find colorful flowers blossoming near a tree root. They are as beautiful as the woman claims...

Hm? Did I see something shining in there?

You look for yourself and find that there is indeed something gleaming in the center of the flowers. How could a flower gleam so? You could always approach for a closer look to sate your curiosity...

Let's take a closer look.

You step into the area where the flowers bloom and carefully look around.

I think it was around here...
Whoa!
Eek!

Suddenly, the blossoms begin to twitch, as if reacting to your presence! At so close a distance, you receive a faceful of pollen, you back away quickly...

Choo!

An oddly adorable sound booms from behind you. When you turn around, you see that Flavio accidentally inhaled some of the pollen, inducing a severe sneezing fit.

Was that... you sneezing?
What else would it--choo! Ugh, dammit, it's not stop--choo!

You decide to wait a while until Flavio's sneezing subsides.

The game picks a random person for this event.

Just as the sneezing fit ends, Wulfgar, who had been wandering anxiously, returns to you with something in his mouth. Wondering what it could be, you take it, and discover that it is a phial of medicine, essential to explorers!

Could someone else have been surprised by these flowers a while back and dropped it here?

If you wish, you may say something to the black beast who found the medicine.

We must remind Wulfgar of who the dominant species really is.

Don't let this get to your head.

Dude... you're losing it.

Your friend's astounded gaze cuts deep as you realize you were trying to compete with the black beast...

Well that backfired horribly.

Still, it's quite interesting to know that we may come across previously lost items in the most unexpected places.
Let us keep an eye out as we go, Sir Knight!

The woman has a point... There is no knowing what can happen here. You decide to proceed with caution from here on...

For sacrificing 15 HP, we gain a Medica II, which heals a lot more than a Medica.

Before I forget, let's look at Wulfgar's build. Not much in the way of equipment.

His skill build is a mixture of offense, defense, and support, which isn't actually a good build if you're using a Beast in Classic Mode. But for us, this will tide us over nicely.

Once your map is complete, your party members will chime in again.

At the woman's inquiry, you look down at your map. Lo and behold, the specified area has been fully mapped.

Okay, we're done. No reason to explore the first floor anymore.

Yes... let's head back.
Hold on. The map's done, but that wasn't our only task here, right?

Another task...!?
Why're you acting so surprised...?
If we don't find that token, the Grand Duchy won't consider our mission complete. Let's go after that next.

You acknowledge Flavio's concerns before prompting Arianna to return to the investigation.

The mineral water that flows here is crystal-clear and shimmers beautifully in the sun.

Yeah, I gotta agree. Water this clean has to be drinkable, right?
Huh!? A-Are you suggesting that we drink water straight from its source?

The black beast standing beside the shocked woman is staring happily at the flowing water...

If our mascot here thinks it's drinkable, who am I to say no? What do you say, Knight?

The wollf knows all. We must trust him. Let's drink.

You cup your hands beneath the outpouring water to catch it in your palms. Very carefully, you bring your hands to your lips and sip... The natural sweetness of the cold water helps to replenish your stamina!

Haha, look at him wagging his tail. Wulfgar likes the water, too.
I can very much understand how you feel, Wulfgar! I never would have thought that water would be so delicious while hiking!
You're actually impressed by that? Hey, Knight... Isn't this girl a little... or a lot... weird?

Someone needs to learn some manners.

Don't be rude, Flavio.
S-Sorry... Yeah, that did sound like I was talking behind her back.

Your client seems not to notice Flavio's furtive comments as she cheerfully speaks to you.

The thought just occurred to me, but why don't we note this place down on our map? If we mark it well, it will help us not to forget to take a drink again the next time we are near here.

She makes a valid point... Making an annotation on your map about this spot could prove useful later. You consider marking the location on the map before departing.

Gracious me... If I am not mistaken, the things found here are quite useful!

There are also Chop points, where wood can be cut, and Mine points, where minerals can be harvested.

However, you can gather materials at each spot only once per day.

Well, shall we give it a try?

You may gather materials here if you wish, or ignore the spot and move on.

Well, that explains everything about item points. I make use of this one before moving on. Oh, and here's another audio only conversation that's available at this time.

Drawing a map is much more involved than I had imagined.
Oh, Sir Flavio? How are you drawing yours?
Huh? Whoa, I, oh, this isn't, um... haha...
My, how artistic! This pattern over here is most impressive as well!
That-That's not a pattern. It's a... doodle.

Now let's finish up our mission.

What you find in the treasure box is a wooden token with the High Lagaardian seal on it. This is unmistakably the token you were directed to retrieve.

Alright. The map's complete, so our mission here is finished!
We've done it! Now the Duchy of High Lagaard will officially recognize us as explorers!
...Thank goodness.

Seeing the girl's heartfelt relief, you decide that it would be best to return to town for now. But an uneasy feeling settles over you and you look around, fearful of something fearful approaching...

What the hell is that!?

Flavio, who spied it too, points at the north end of the room.

Look into its eyes and despair, for that is the true face of a killer.

Is that... a deer?

The woman gazes at the beady-eyed deer before continuing with excitement in her eyes.

You ponder whether to say anything in response to this unusually calm question as the dangerous monster stands nearby.

I can appreciate a woman who is out for blood.

It does look delicious.

Yes! Let the thirst for blood flow through you! :black101:

C'mon, no! Can't you see how strong that thing is!?
No...? Do you perhaps prefer deer stew over roast venison, Sir Flavio?
Ughhhhhh...

Flavio gives an exasperated sigh and looks at you in frustration, then turns to the deer and speaks seriously.

The plain fact is, that's no ordinary deer. It's stronger than anything we've fought... We've no guarantee of victory. I think it would be better for us to figure out a way around it in order to get back to town safely.
True... Then we shall table the deer hunting for another occasion.

Despite her forlorn concession, the woman continues to gaze longingly at the deer... You corral the woman and your sighing friend and move to quit this place.

FOEs are extremely powerful compared to other enemies on the same floor. It is recommended that you avoid them at first.

By observing an FOE's movement, you may discern how to avoid combat with them. Think carefully before taking action.

The game is serious when it says you shouldn't fight them at the first opportunity. You'll just horribly crushed. Even though we have Wulfgar, that won't be enough to take the FOE down. At best, all he can do is buy us some time to run away if you run into it by accident. Anyways, time to get out of here! I manage to slip past that first FOE. It's pretty easy to get around.

However, you cannot relax yet. You keep one eye on the deer's movements while staying focused...

You turn with some dread, but it doesn't appear that the deer is giving chase.

I never want to do that again.
No? I would face it at any opportunity if I had you at my right hand, Sir Knight.

This girl will stop at nothing to get a piece of that FOE. :stare:

Whew... I just hope we don't run into any more of those things.

You feel uneasy about this innocent muttering, and have the feeling that he may have jinxed your return trip... You subtly brace yourself and resume your investigation of the forest.

There's a second deer you have to get past, but the party says nothing about that one.

It can only be the third of those monstrous deer... This must be the last hurdle! Ascertain your route forward and elude the giant deer as you go!

And we get past that FOE as well.

Sirs... It is thanks to you that we have safely overcome the initiation trials. You have my utmost gratitude.
Nah, we're happy to help. Granting people's requests is a Midgard Library investigation team's duty.
I thank you all the same. Once this trial is complete, I will finally have access to the ruins I must reach.

Wait, shoot. There was more to this job!?

This wasn't your destination?
Oh, no. I thought it be best to learn the basics of exploring before heading to my true destination of the ruins...
So... none of this really had anything to do with your request.
Just so. I hope I can count on your continued aid, Sir Knight.
I guess that makes sense... It would've been too easy if this had been the end of the request.

The woman seems solemn as she speaks, though she quickly reassumes her usual bright smile.

But first.. let us report the results of our mission to the Grand Duchy and share our joy in completing it.

We need a recess first.
Hm...?

Arianna, seeming somewhat bewildered by your comment, cocks her head.

Are we... visiting a school next?
Huh? School? What're you talking about?
Oh, but don't you know, Sir Flavio? Recess is a term for a rest period at school wherein one naps and eats snacks. Since Sir Knight mentioned that we need a recess, I naturally assumed that we were heading to a school...

Hmm, I wonder what an EO game set in a school would be li-actually no. That would be a bad bad idea. *coughpersonaqcough*

Speaking of recess...
No more talking about recess! You meant you wanted to take a break, right!?
Oh, indeed? My apologies; I appear to have misunderstood.

You cut the conversation short out of deference to Flavio's peeved reaction and head back to town.

Oh? What's the matter, Wulfgar?
He's stopped following us. And he's wagging his tail, too...

Well the reason why is obvious.

Maybe he wants food?
F-Food? I don't have anything like that... What about you, Knight?
One moment. I believe he may be telling us goodbye...
Thank you for everything, Wulfgar. It's due to your help that our journey has gone so smoothly. I regret to see you leave, but I believe this is farewell, Wulfgar.

Farewell, Wulfgar. He won't be joining our party again for the rest of the game. Though it might have been nice if he stuck around.

We've lost a valuable asset...
I'm sure Wulfgar has his own priorities. There's nothing to be done for it.
Come now, let us go report our mission to the Grand Duchy.

I hereby name you explorers of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth, and citizens of High Lagaard.

We get some money when we complete a mission.

But we also get some exp out of it as well! And it tends to be a lot.

The Temple... of Ginnungagap, you say?
Yes. I hail from the Duchy of Caledonia. My name is Arianna. I am told the Temple of Ginnungagap is now in ruins... yet it is my mission to reach it.
I know of Caledonia. It has close ties to our own duchy of High Lagaard. If memory serves, the Caledonian princess goes to the Temple of Ginnungagap every hundred years for a certain ritual. Ms. Arianna, could you be...?
Yes. I am indeed Arianna Caledonia, daughter to the duke of Caledonia.
Huh!? Wait... does that make you a princess!?

Nah, those have gone extinct and have been replaced by Sovereigns.

Yes, it does. But please, think nothing of my title. Treat me as you always have.
B-But you're a princess. Not only are we commoners, we're orphans... We don't even know our own birth...
To dwell on such things will make us incapable of exploring together. Sir Knight, Sir Flavio. I implore you to continue down the same path, unchanged from before.

Honestly, it'll be a little weird.
But...! Please, I implore you to continue addressing me as before.

I don't know...
Please, Sir Knight...

Yeah, this is a but thou must thing. Fine, you win. But if you ask us to call you by some dumb nickname like Airy or something, I'm out.

All right, Arianna.
My thanks, Sir Knight!
Okay. I'll try my best not to treat you too differently either.
My thanks to you as well, Sir Flavio.
But a princess venturing into dangerous ruins with such a small band... Can you not delegate this duty to another?
According to legend, the duchy's princess must go to that land and perform the ritual herself. The legend also decrees that she must do so by her own strength, with few companions.
I see... My worries remain, but if those are the rules, then they must be abided by. Take care on your journey, Lady Arianna.
Thank you.
...Now, Sir Knight, Sir Flavio. With these truths known, I should ask you once again. As I have said to the Minister, my goal is to reach the ruins of the Temple of Ginnungagap to perform my ritual. Many documents regarding the ritual have been lost, and we have no knowledge of what dangers may lie there. Despite this... Will you come with me to the site of the ritual? To Ginnungagap?

Why do you have to be so demanding?

Are we allowed to say no?
That's, well... I would be most grateful if you would accompany me...
Don't tease her like that, Knight. What would you do if she took you seriously? Don't worry, Arianna. This was our assignment from the Midgard Library, so it's not as with we can turn you down.

We won't rock the boat.
Oh, but Ginnungagap is in a canyon. We'll have no need to go out to sea.
He doesn't mean--Ugh, he was just saying you don't have to worry, because you can count on us!
Haha, it was only in jest. Even I know that turn of phrase. I was so delighted that you accepted that I decided some humor was called for.
Well then, I hope our journey is successful, Sir Knight and Sir Flavio.
*chuckle* It seems you've arrived at a decision. Now then... I've heard that Ginnungagap lies in ruins, and has become a breeding ground for monsters. I believe you have the mettle to face it, since you've passed my trial, but be sure to take caution while you are there. I shall have the Grand Duchy searched for any surviving documents regarding this ritual and Ginnungagap.

And let's see what he has to say normally.

Investigators of Midgard, I entrust you with Lady Arianna's care. Ensure that no harm comes to her!

Let's leave.

We've discussed that quite enough now... more importantly may I tell you more of the ritual we must have in Ginnungagap? I am sure the both of you have questions regarding the matter. If there is anything you wish to know, feel free to ask me.

What is the ritual for?
It is... an ancient ritual that my nation is tasked to perform every century, when a Daughter of the Mark is born... so I am told.
Upon the eighteenth year of the Daughter of the Mark, she and her knights shall bear the ritual words to Ginnungagap's depths. Thus does the daughter grant vitality to the heart of the land, and the circle continues. ...So goes the legend I have been told. It is said the Daughter of the Mark uses the power of the her bloodline to protect the land... and thusly is the ritual accomplished.
The details are vague, to say the least, so I'm afraid I know nothing more. I don't think I have any such extraordinary abilities...
But you do have this mark thing, right?
...Y-Yes. A-According to the tale, since I was born with the mark, it is my duty and birthright to perform this ritual.

We need to ask both questions to proceed.

What is Ginnungagap like?
I have been told that Ginnungagap is an enormous ravine, located on the outskirts of High Lagaard. It has been called by that name since long ago, but nobody truly knows its origins.
Within this deep chasm is a structure known as the Temple of Ginnungagap. ...As time passed, however, the temple fell into disrepair. Now, it is little more than a ruin. There may be danger lurking within the ruins of Ginnungagap... but I must go. I have a duty to perform the ritual. Once our preparations are finished, let us go to the outskirts of High Lagaard. I will guide you to Ginnungagap from there.
...That is, however, all I know of the matter. For the ritual itself, all I must do is pray from the altar... so that should present no trouble. However, the ruins may be treacherous. It is quite a far-flung place, and has been left derelict for quite some time.
I will do my best. I greatly appreciate both of your cooperation.

And we'll explore the ruins of Ginnungagap next time!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 19, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The game is serious when it says you shouldn't fight them at the first opportunity. You'll just horribly crushed. Even though we have Wulfgar, that won't be enough to take the FOE down. At best, all he can do is buy us some time to run away if you run into it by accident. Anyways, time to get out of here! I manage to slip past that first FOE. It's pretty easy to get around.

I get the feeling that should be the stratum music and not The First Campaign.

Also update 11 has all the game's text transcribed and screenshots taken, but it's being delayed by me replaying Super Mario Sunshine and trying to finish Just Cause 3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I get the feeling that should be the stratum music and not The First Campaign.

Also update 11 has all the game's text transcribed and screenshots taken, but it's being delayed by me replaying Super Mario Sunshine and trying to finish Just Cause 3.

Whoops. Fixed.

Also I might try recording a video with commentary in the next update. Expect camcorder quality since I lack a 3DS capture card.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

From the look of it, I should guess we're halfway there. I must say, this is exquisitely mad, Sir Knight.

Yes... let's back.

Only a pair of typos. Good work Fetus.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In every other game, the introduction of an FOE is a terrible and foreboding thing, with the characters involved dreading running into such a creature.

Here, Arianna's just like "Cool. Who's up for deer steaks?"

Arianna is a good character.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pureauthor posted:

Flavio is a treasure and the best part of Story mode.

Never not poo poo on Yosuke.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cernunnos posted:

Never not poo poo on Yosuke.

Deer FSteaks?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, so I decided to try my hand at recording something. How is it? I know it doesn't compare to a capture card, but this was the best I could do. I'm not doing screenshots of major battles, that's gonna be too much of a pain. (That's not the update, it's just gonna be part of the next one.)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Would it be worth to just set the 3DS down to keep it still so you can record the top screen when it's still? Since you already have the map drawn, you don't really need the bottom screen for anything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Would it be worth to just set the 3DS down to keep it still so you can record the top screen when it's still? Since you already have the map drawn, you don't really need the bottom screen for anything.

It is set down. The wobbling is actually the camera. :( I'll try to work on that. Somehow.

EDIT: Found solution. Future videos should be significantly less wobbly. Sadly, camcorder quality can not be dealt with.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 19, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
If the video'll be less wobbly, my only other major suggestion is hook up your 3DS to your computer's line-in port (if possible), directly record audio through that, and then sync it to the video after you've recorded both.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 5: The Power of Fafnir

Now that we passed the Grand Duchy's test, Cass will tell us about quests. (It's the same spiel he gives in Classic Mode.)

Welp, I'll make sure to put 'em up when we got some, so yeh better come back an' accept 'em! Haw haw haw!

Except we can't take any at this point in Story Mode. But Cass does have new talk dialogue for us.

Looks like the world famous Midgard is finally takin' an interest in our grand old Labyrinth. Haw! Good to hear! Guess our Labyrinth is gettin' pretty famous if yeh came all the way out to see it!

We're not here for the Labyrinth.
Huh? Yeh're not? Well... that's a downer... Then again, looking at the two of yeh lanky punks, I'd be against lettin' yeh blunder around in the Labyrinth anyway.

It sure is famous.
Right? Right!? I mean, yeh can only find somethin' rare like this in High Lagaard! ...Whassat? There are other Labyrinths? Well. Fine then. Thanks for ruinin' my little moment.

In Story Mode, there's actually a bar patron we can talk to that isn't in Classic.

Hmm? What's Ginnungagap? Oh, you mean that huge chasm. That's been there for ages. Nobody knows for how long... I remember it being there when I was a child. My grandmother always told me that it's a very important place, so we shouldn't go near it. Why? I'm not really sure. I'm not even sure my grandma knew... It's just the way it's been since the old days. That's just how that place is.

Now let's head out to Ginnungagap.

We've no idea what awaits us within the ruins. Please ensure that you are both well prepared.
Once your preparations are complete, I will guide you to Ginunngagap.

Let's go.

Very well then. Let us be off!

As you move forward, a gaping abyss slowly comes into view...

Whoa... How deep does this thing even go?

As you walk along the ridge of the immense gorge, you spy an ancient ruin built within the crevice, along the cliff face.

You stand stock still before the mysterious man-made edifice at the bottom of the ravine. The temple is so silent that you get the sense it swallows all sound. There is an air of ultimate stillness about it... Though dilapidated from the lack of upkeep, you can tell by the atmosphere here that it is a holy place.

A blue overlay effect appears on the screen.

You note a bizarre voice echoing through the heavy, still air, and look around.

What's wrong, Knight?

May as well tell him the truth.

I thought I heard someone.
Huh? I didn't hear anything...
Maybe it was your ears ringing? We're pretty far down, after all, and it's so quiet here.

You listen closely once more, but the voice is not heard again. The temple in the ravine maintains its eerie silence... Could the sound have been a figment of your imagination? You cock your head and frown, before Arianna speaks.

Well then, Sir Knight. Shall we begin our expedition into the ruins of Ginnungagap?

I'm pretty sure I heard something, and that gives me a bad feeling. Let's get out of here.

Never mind, let's bow out.
...Come again?

Arianna's reaction to your comment is one of perplexity.

Let us... 'bow out,' you say.

The woman pauses for a moment, looking left and right until she spots the bow and arrows on Flavio's back.

Ah! Well put, Sir Knight! You wish for us to draw out our bows and be ready for battle before we embark!
Although... My understanding is that Sir Flavio is the only one among us who wields a bow. Is that correct, Sir Flavio?

Flavio, standing next to Arianna, responds to her bright query.

Well, yes... I mean, mine's been restrung and it's ready to go, but the rest of you carry swords, so...
I mean, that's not important! Knight! We just got here! You can't want to bail out already!

It's bowing out, not bailing out!
...Yeah, okay, we get it. Can you please stop now? We're here to explore this place.
Yes. Sir Flavio already has his bow out, so let us follow his lead, draw our own weapons, and begin our exploration.

With that, the woman takes a step towards the ruins.

I am told that in the depths of these ruins is a place known as the Hall of Sealing. Let us make for there first.

You nod your assent to the woman's suggestion and begin walking into the silence of Ginnungagap.

Screw this, let's leave.

C'mon, we need to find that hall to perform the ritual in.

Fine. Let's just head further in.

A dead end, it seems.
Oh well. Let's try somewhere else.

The guild decides as one to go back to the way you came and continue exploring.

I get into a fight with a Sunflower. They're kind of dangerous, charging up and then hitting your party with a fairly strong Fire attack if you don't dispatch them quickly.

That bizarre sound--or rather, a voice--you heard upon entering is audible again. You stop, trying to pick up on it.

How strange... It sounded as if it might be intelligible words, but you can't hear it clearly. The voice sounds close yet far; low yet high... It leaves you with a very curious sensation.

Sir Knight?

Let's tell them about the voice.

A voice...?

The woman tilts her head in response to your claim.

I can't recall hearing anything of that nature. What about you, Sir Flavio?
Me neither...

If neither of your guildmates heard the voice, could that sound have been your mind playing tricks on you...? Doubtful though you are that you were hearing things, you say no more and return to exploring the ruins.

You hear that bizarre voice again and stop.

There's no knowing where the voice is coming from, but you are quite certain this time that you heard it. You tell your companions that you heard the bizarre voice again.

Again? If it's happening more than once, that's a little creepy.
But why is it that we hear nothing?

As the three of you stop to discuss this, you sense something odd in yourself.

It's as if your arm has a will and life of its own. You can sense it pulsating...

The sound of footsteps can be heard.

Okay, that one I heard too. Sounded like footsteps...
Might we not be the only explorers present here in Ginnungagap? Perhaps their voices are the ones that Sir Knight heard...

Flavio has a cautious look around the area, but the footsteps have already disappeared, leaving only the suffocating silence. You decide to proceed with caution.

The young man acting as an advance guard signals for the two of you to stop.

Might it be whoever was making those footsteps?
There's no telling. I think it was a pair of people, from the sound of it.

Footsteps are audibly heard.

You listen, and just as the young man says, you can hear two sets of footfalls.

Footsteps are heard again.

Stop right there!

A hoarse, panicked voice is heard from further within, reacting to the young man's sharp tone.

You're overreacting.
Oh, like you wouldn't freak out if a voice suddenly called out to you from the shadows!

The pair who comes into view before you is a man clad in metal armor and a robed young girl.

Who are you? Identify yourselves!
You're sure on edge. Can't you see we're just two innocent explorers from a dirt-poor guild?

These others are Sir Knight and Sir Flavio, my escorts.
Knight, Arianna, and Flavio, huh? Well, nice to meet you too.
But why are you here? There aren't many who should know of this place.
Why...? Well, you know how it is.

The protector behind the girl smirks flippantly as he continues.

There's tons of good explorers in the forest, and trying to make your fortune in the upper strata isn't easy nowadays.
This place, on the other hand, is pretty empty. So our chances should be better here, right?
You came here instead of the Labyrinth because... there was more profit in it? There's something shady about you, old man.
Trand's not a bad guy. He just says things.
So he's lying!?

Though you are engaged in conversation with the pair before you, their voices slowly become distant to your ears. Instead, the strange voice you have been hearing since entering these ruins returns, its inscrutable words clearer than ever.

The mysterious voice echoing in your mind is now clearly audible.

What about the man behind you? He's acting weird.
Hm? Hey, yeah. Something does seem off about him.

When you come to your senses after the light fades, you find yourself standing someplace unknown to you. It is not where you were a moment ago, and you are here alone. Seeing little other choice, you elect to move onward...

We no longer have our map. And all we can do is just to move down this long hallway.

At the end of the hallway, I turn left to find this door.

Their appearance is obviously monstrous, but strangely enough, you sense no hostility from them. Seeing that you have kept your composure, the figure before you speaks in a high-pitched, artificial-sounding voice.

You will now yield to the pact and gain its power.

This fearsomely powerful art changes a human into a monstrous shape. Proceed with the ritual. When you have passed every trial, you will become a foundation to protect these lands.

And we're back.

He's out of it. It's weird.
Sir Knight?
Are we getting through to him? He doesn't seem unconscious...

A growl is then heard.

Wh-What was that just now...?
Something's here. It's coming.

That's... not a monster I've seen before.
This isn't gonna go well. Alright, time to run. Right now. Let's move it, folks!
What!? Aren't you a protector!? Why is running away your first plan!?
What's wrong with a protector running away!?
Everything! Is that shield just for show!?
Don't sell me short, kid! Of course it's just for show!

Arianna, look out!

The monster moves to attack.

:siren::siren:

Sir Knight!? Sir Knight's appearance... It's...
What happened?
It can't be...
Knight...!?

Yeah, it's me.

:siren:Video: Mercenary Boar:siren:

I hate to do this to you, but taking screenshots of battles will be a huge pain with the way I'm handling things. So unfortunately, any major battles are gonna be video only. I'll be skipping to the aftermath in screenshot form, though.

But your two companions, having seen your transformation, rush to your side, clearly agitated.

Sir Knight! Are you all right!?

I don't know what happened.
Sir Knight...

Wondering what could have caused such fright in her, you look for yourself...

The arm is no longer the one you've known your whole life. It has become something twisted and grotesque...! When combined with what happened to you in the battle, something is clearly and dreadfully amiss... As you stare at your arm in shock, Arianna speaks up.

Sir Knight... W-We must get you to a doctor at once! Your arm, and that strange form you took earlier... I fear that you may be horribly ill!
I know diseases. Ones that cause physical changes are rare. I'm intrigued...

With that, the black-robed girl sits beside you and examines your right arm with great interest.

...... ......
I-Is all going to be well?
I don't know. I've never seen a phenomenon like this.

The girl looks you in the eyes before continuing.

Mr. Sword, do you feel pain anywhere? Have you ever undergone a transformation like this before?

You decline to answer, when something strange suddenly tugs at your mind. If feels a bit like deja vu... as if you've known this condition before... Your closest friend, who had been watching you lose yourself in though, sighs and stares at your arm.

It's just like that day...

The young man breaks his stare and looks at the ground, muttering to himself. While the princess frets and your friend looks away, the black-robed girl touches your arm and offers her opinion.

These claws are hard and sharp. They're not human. I don't think you're sick... It's some kind of power emerging. I don't know what the power is. But it must have been triggered by something that happened to you after coming here.

The girl looks at you expectantly.

I heard a voice.

You tell the others that you heard a voice, and were granted the power of Fafnir after obeying it.

A voice and a power... My duty was to travel here and perform a ritual. But the details of that ritual have long been lost to history... I suspect that the change which took place in Sir Knight is related to these ruins and my ritual.
...Did you just say, 'ritual'?
Yes. I am the daughter of the Duke of Caledonia, sent to undertake the ritual which must occur every hundred years. For it, I had to come here to Ginnuungagap in person, and so I requested Sir Flavio and Sir Knight as escorts.
I see... And you're fine telling us this straight out? We only just met.
Ha... You may not think it of me, but I am quite a shrewd judge of character.
Oh dear... You don't have an ounce of guile in you, do you.
I understand. Instead of trying to figure this out, we should explore on ahead.
Knight's arm is all twisted up, and you're saying not to worry about it?
I would prefer that our fears for Sir Knight be assuaged first, but...

Though your twisted arm was shocking to look upon at first, you don't feel in ill health otherwise. Exploring further may shed light on your condition as well as fulfill Arianna's goals...

I mean the arm is kinda freaky, but other than that...

I'm fine.
B-But... are you certain? Please do not overburden yourself on my account...

Despite the woman's concern, you assure her that you are fine, and she relaxes somewhat.

Of course. Well then, let us trust that the cause of this phenomenon will be revealed further within.

You all agree to Arianna's decision and decide to check out the rest of this area.

As you search for a way to proceed, you come across a steep precipice. Before you spreads a moat, whose water is much too deep to step into.

Ah! Look over there!

You look at where Arianna is pointing and spot another path on the far side.

If we can reach there, perhaps it might lead deeper into Ginnungagap?

The joy in Arianna's voice indicates she believes it to be a great discovery, but Chloe calmly rebuts her.

How do we get across?
Hm? Ah... True, we cannot cross to the other side from here.

As Arianna's enthusiasm deflates, you feel another set of eyes staring at you. You turn to find the knight Bertrand looking at you and Arianna, as if wanting to say something.

...Is something on your mind?

When you put the question to Bertrand, who had been staring at you, he is startled for a moment before shaking his head.

No... I was just looking at you folks because you reminded me a little of people I used to know.

Offering these words as an excuse, the man shifts his eyes away from yours.

Ruins like these have plenty of ways to deal with intruders. Our problem right here must involve one of them.
Essentially, then... Er, hm, what was your meaning there?
I'm saying there might be a device someplace that'd turn that lowered walkway into a bridge.
Lowered walkway...? What bridge?

You, Flavio, and Arianna all look down after hearing the armored man's words.

Lo and behold, there is what appears to be a walkway just above the water, which stretches across to the other side.

How do you know this?
Well, I can't prove it or anything. I just mentioned it because it seemed likely.
I see... Do you mean this?

Your friend had been searching as he listened to the conversation, and now flips over a tile to reveal some sort of device. The device has a lever attached, which Flavio pulls.

One of the bridge pieces moves up.

Another bridge piece moves up, but stops halfway.

It stopped.
Oh, come on! It was going so well!
Well, it's an old mechanism. It could be broken, for all we know.
No...! We cannot brook a malfunction!
Easy there, kid... You should be happy we found the device. If it's broken, then we just need to fix it, that's all.
Y'know, the other day, I was talking to this weird guard at the bar in town. Strange guy. He talked my ear off about all kinds of bridges. Old ones, metal ones... He just wouldn't shut up on the subject. If anyone would know a way to fix up the mechanism here, it's him.

You could have started with that.
Yeah, yeah, sorry.
Come now, Sir Knight. He told us in the end, and that's what matters.
Thank you for telling us of this, Sir Bertrand. You've been most helpful.
Nothing to thank me for.
Although, if you HAVE to, I'd prefer to be thanked in rewards, not words.
Rewards, you say...?
Yep. Cash, jewels... this old man isn't picky.
What...? U-Um... Wh-What should I do? I'm far from my homeland, and didn't think to bring much money...
I'd rather have food.
Huh!?

The princess seems so nonplussed by their demands that you feel compelled to step in on her behalf.

Enough. Let's find this guard.

Deducing from the knight's tone that he isn't being serious, you suggest you all go search for this guard.

Yeah, you're right. Let's stop teasing this poor sheltered girl and hurry back to town.

The group resolves to return to High Lagaard in order to meet with this expert on bridges.

Let's take a look at our newest party members.

Bertrand and Chloe already come with a few skills. Bertrand is a Protector, and his job is to protect our party and reduce the damage they take. I don't suggest reclassing him. At all. A few fights are actually designed around having a Protector, so you'll just cripple your party if you do. His Force Boost is Shield Protect. What it does is when Bertrand casts a Guard skill, anyone who's covered by the skill will have any damage they take reduced by 50%. Sounds great, except the Guard skills already reduce damage enough on their own. And it might cause you to not have Perfect Defense available when you really need it. Speaking of which, Perfect Defense is one of the best defensive skills in the game, as it prevents your party from taking any damage for the turn. However, it can't block stuff like Ailments, binds, or debuffs, unless they were a secondary effect of a damage skill.

Chloe is a War Magus. She is a combination of a healer, support, and damage dealer. So she's kind of a jack of all trades sort of character. She's pretty good at all of them, though. In fact, she's actually one of our best damage dealers in the party. She can dish out damage on par with Knight in some circumstances. But as the game goes on, she's better off used as a support. Not because her damage falls off, her best damage skill still hits like a truck in the late and post-game. It's because at those points, her support skills are far more valuable than her offensive ones. Her Force Boost, War Edge Mastery, enables her War Edge skills to inflict their secondary effects on enemies that don't have ailments. (Otherwise, the secondary effects don't kick in.) Her Force Break, Fairy's Robe protects the entire party from ailments, binds, instant death, and debuffs for the turn. However, it doesn't work against skills that dispel buffs. It's pretty powerful, and Chloe's a really good party member.

And I guess I should talk a little more about Knight, now that he finally has his Force skills. Transform is the class' central gimmick. Knight isn't too much to talk about in his base form, but once he Transforms, he's completely healed, his max HP is doubled, and his damage output gains a 50% boost. He also gets access to several skills that he can't use in his base form. His Force Break, Ignition Ray, hits a single enemy with composite Fire+Ice+Volt damage. The damage on that scales with levels. Also after that fight with the Mercenary Boar, his battle sprite replaces his right glove with that metal gauntlet.

Ragnar didn't talk about this enemy much in his Classic playthrough, but these guys are kind of dangerous to a Story Mode party. Especially if you encounter them before running into Bertrand and Chloe, as their physical attacks hit hard at this point.

Anyways, we can't proceed further into Ginnungagap thanks to a broken bridge, so we need to leave.

Well... last I talked to him at the bar, he said he was working as a guard for the Grand Duchy. His name was Brucke. Don't think he told me exactly what location he was assigned to, though.
Then perhaps it would be best if we asked the Minister. If we know his name, perhaps we can find out where he is posted.
Ngh, the Duke's Palace...? Every time we have to go there, I'm a nervous wreck...

Actually... we were unable to proceed. There was a bridge within Ginnungagap that we were unable to move...
What!? To think that your way forward would be blocked, thusly...
Pardon me, but we've heard that there is someone very knowledgeable about bridges among the guard. I believe it was a guard named Brucke. Could we ask to meet with him? We would like to ask for his advice.
Ah, of course. I will have someone send for him at once. Please wait a little while.

Dubois leaves.

Is something the matter?
Well, you see... it seems your timing was rather unfortunate. The guard in question has just left for the Labyrinth. He's on patrol duty at the moment. I'm afraid I can't say for certain when he'll be back. Patrol duty has been known to take quite some time.

Can't you call him back?
If only I could. Anyone in the Labyrinth is often hard to contact by conventional means. ...If you are in a hurry, perhaps it would be faster if you pursued him yourselves?
Us, enter the Labyrinth...?
As I recall, the guard in question is patrolling the lower levels of the first stratum. It seems you have the aid of the two from Midgard, and it appears as though the other two are rather skilled as well. There should be no problem. If you so desire, I can even make arrangements so that you will receive aid from us.
A hand from the Grand Duchy, eh... Doesn't sound like a bad idea.
B-Bertrand...! He's right in front of us!
Whatever.
Minister Dubois, I am truly grateful for all your help... I will gladly accept this kind offer.
Do not worry. It is no trouble to me at all. Now then, I merely have to register you as a guild of this country. What should I mark down as your guild name?
A... guild name?
Sir Knight, would you choose one for us?

Well? What will our guild name be?

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 20, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Guild. We should name the guild Guild. Goes perfect with Knight the knight.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Might as well go with something related to Fafnir- how about Wagner, after the guy who wrote the opera that Fafnir appears in?

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Supremezero posted:

Guild. We should name the guild Guild. Goes perfect with Knight the knight.

Seconding Guild

Also, isn't it funny how well the hero takes this? Just after five seconds of looking kinda scared, it's just "eh, whatever". The party gets over it really fast.

AmewTheFox fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 20, 2015

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Dot jpg

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Nthing Guild, since we are being as unserious as possible.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
To be sort of opposite of the classic guild, Umbra.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Gotta go with Guild.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess I'll join the Guild bandwagon.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Gotta go with Wagner.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Guild Guild will be the most guild to ever guild.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AmewTheFox posted:

Seconding Guild

Also, isn't it funny how well the hero takes this? Just after five seconds of looking kinda scared, it's just "eh, whatever". The party gets over it really fast.

Well, they correctly chalk it up to be part of the mysterious ritual they're doing, so there's not much point in dwelling on it.

Also, Guild, which is ironically what I named my guild in this game too.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Clarste posted:

Well, they correctly chalk it up to be part of the mysterious ritual they're doing, so there's not much point in dwelling on it.

It's not like the EOU story party questioned Frederica's origins that much or the fact that Gladsheim's technology was far more advanced than anything they had (as far as I can remember, anyway). :v:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Yeah it was pretty much

"I'm sure you'll remember why you were in this thousand year old technologically advanced dungeon eventually"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Guild, it is!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Reaction from a non-goon friend of mine who's been following this about the guild name:

quote:

1:18 AM - ϟ Single Spiral ϟ: I'm expecting the Cafe is going to be called Cafe at this rate

:v:

Also my procrastination on writing update 11 has gotten to the point where I recorded update 12 a few hours ago.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Reaction from a non-goon friend of mine who's been following this about the guild name:

:v:

Also my procrastination on writing update 11 has gotten to the point where I recorded update 12 a few hours ago.

PERFECT!

We must make it so!

I mean, we already hit the top with real names with FOEbucks anyway.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 11: Timelines Jumping Left and Right

Hhhhuuuurrr... Rr?
Good morning, Ursa. I can see that you rise early.
Mrr mrrh?
It is easier to practice War Lore early in the morning.
Rr rrer urr?
Professor Efe L. Hahstey at the War Lore Academy was the one who told me that. When dealing with mystic elements of our world, it is wise not to question the learned ones.

Milly, you're going to be the one holding the pack today. Can you check for if we have an Ariadn--
I am not carrying something this heavy. No way. Nuh-uh.
Did Regina not mention that we can store items at FOEbucks? Most of the items in our backpack is either medicine or otherwise useful items I'd rather us not sell.

Going into the Labyrinth with a near-full pack is a very bad idea. In every EO game, your inventory has a maximum of 60 slots (EO1 and 2, where your inventory was filled up by key items, nonwithstanding), and once you hit that 60 item cap, you have to start throwing stuff away, whether it be new items or stuff you already have. That's pretty obviously not something I want to do. At the same time, I'd rather not sell, for example, our Therica Bs. So what do you do? Drop stuff off at the cafe! Regina can hold up to 99 items, which you probably won't hit unless you are an incredibly massive hoarder.

I drop our pack's current load from 44 items to 20 items. Much better.

And hey, might as well drop some EO history while I'm at it. In EO1, there was no way to store items. At all. You had your inventory, and that was it. Which wasn't helped by the fact that stuff like your drat map and key quest items (one of which was bugged and would permanently stick around in your inventory after you turn in the quest) were counted as normal items. Atlus realized that this system was kind of inexcusable, and let you drop off items at the inn in EO2...for a fee. EO3 used that same system, with the addition of certain sidequests dropping the cost to store items at the inn. EO4 switched up the system a little: storing items was now free, but your storage space is incredibly limited at the start, and is increased through sidequests. EOU again switched up the system, and EO2U uses pretty much the exact same system--storage is now done at the "guild house," which was a Suburban Mansion in EOU and is the Ducal Restaurant in EO2U. Storage is free, much like in EO4, but you now have max storage to begin with. Atlus also added in the ability to sort through your storage by categories of Consumables, Equipment, and Materials.

Milly, you're SURE we have an Ariadne Thread?
Yeah, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's there.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed that two-update diversion to some ancient ruins, because we're back in Yggdrasil now.

Shortcuts and secret passages in the Auburn Thicket looks like cracked rocks. Stands out decently enough from the background.

The pre-battle transition effect also changes from stratum to stratum, although Ginnungagap just uses the 1st Stratum's transition.

That statue's movements... It's no natural monster. Who is controlling it?

Odd Statue
HP: 268, STR: 16, VIT: 15
Skills:
  • (G) Sweep Strike
Drops:
  • Normal: Rock Shard
  • Conditional: Bound Right Arm (Kill while arms are bound)
  • Ingredient: Strange Stone
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Bash, Fire, Ice
  • Weak: Volt
  • Resist: Cut, Stab
Ailment and bind resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Pison, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Fear, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Arm bind
  • Resist: Fear
  • Nullify: Petrification

Binding this hulk's stone arms will do you very little good...

Odd Statues, in the original EO2, were assholes. They could petrify single targets, and their AI was set to prioritize the back row. Here, they're pretty much trash mobs aside from resisting two of the three types of physical damage. Sweep Strike can pretty severely hurt a Beast if they're using Hit-Taker, but that's it.

Frilled Lizard
HP: 169, STR: 15, VIT: 12
Skills:
  • (G) Strike Up
Drops:
  • Normal: Iron Toenail
  • Rare: Collar Fur
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Fire, Volt
  • Weak: Ice
  • Normal: Blind, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Paralysis
  • Resist: Poison

It uses its frills to intimidate intruders. Those who stand their ground often regret it...

Frilled Lizards are even bigger trash mobs than Odd Statues. Strike Up hurts a bit more than normal, but still not much overall.

Colette's TP pool is decent enough that I can use Ailing Slash to just clear out mobs in one hit.

Ranger's damage is pretty meh outside of Transform, but he can at least still hit elemental weaknesses with his Sabres. The Sabres are skills you really want to level up, but it's because the Waves scale off the Sabre levels--the Sabres, on their own, deal ~250% damage at level 10. At least the Sabres are pretty cheap, even for Ranger's small TP pool.

Good to know that my toxins work on statues, I guess.

Ailing Slash either one-shots random encounters or puts them very close to dying. The Vampire heal is also nice for sustain.

The Shock Sabre was intended for the Odd Statue, so it didn't hit the Frilled Lizard's weakness to ice. You'll also notice that Ranger is really, really slow. Even outside of Transform's action speed penalty, the Fafnir class has the second lowest AGI out of any class--the War Magus has the lowest, for the record.

The encounters aren't that much of a threat yet. You will be quite happy to know that I forgot that Armcut exists, and did not try at all for the Odd Statue's conditional, even in the next update. OH WELL. I'll get it some nebulous time in the future.

Secret passage here.

That Apicius guy really knew how to hide his recipes. Was encoding them not enough?

It took me until I was at the 6th stratum on my first playthrough to find these recipes. It's kind of easy to tell where secret passages are, usually--just look for big empty spaces in the middle of a floor. Chances are good there's a secret passage somewhere nearby.

Oh gods, what's that smell?!
SYSTEM: You follow the odor by searching through the grass, where you find a monster's corpse. It seems to have died leaning against the tree's roots, with its legs splayed out. Could another explorer have slain it? Perhaps you could scavenge some raw materials... But you'd have to ignore the stench to ssearch the corpse... You may simply want to leave.
It'd be stupid to waste perfectly fine raw materials. The corpse doesn't look too old.
Ugh, gods. Glad I didn't study survivalism.
What was your occupation before joining us, Milly?
...I'd like to plead silence on that.
SYSTEM: Blinking back tears against the awful stench, you take a careful look at the corpse. But it seems you weren't the only one attracted by the smell...! A monster with a taste for rotten flesh hangs from the trees above you, baring its fangs!
Gah!

Giant Moa
HP: 552, STR: 18, VIT: 16
Skills:
  • (G) Heavy Stomp
Drops:
  • Normal: Ostrich Tendon
  • Ingredient: Stiff Leg Meat
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Fire, Ice
  • Weak: Volt
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Stun

This large, flightless bird has evolved a pair of powerful legs!

Giant Moas aren't really that threatening on their own. Heavy Stomp really hurts, and will lop off most of your party's health (or kill your Beast if they're tanking it), but it's not really enough to actually kill people from full. With other monsters, however, things get pretty dangerous.

This is what we'd normally call "a mistake."

Ursa would've been tanking a LOT of hits if the blind didn't proc, and most likely would've died.

Skera fæturna.

Giant Moas are threats with other monsters, but very manageable on their own.

SYSTEM: Grab whatever you can can and leave the area before you lose the contents of your stomach!

Scarlet Vines are a common Chop item that we can get next floor. Not too shabby.

What is this...thing?
It's possible that it may be some kind of faerie.

Tree Sponges, pictured above, have a pretty simple movement pattern: they just patrol a straight line. The area around here has small little alcoves, I suppose I'd call them, which we can just pace back and forth in to wait for the Tree Sponge to pass.

All I have to do is go to that space on the left, and just pace for a few steps.

Easy enough.

Take spot. We needed the Mint Leaves for Medicinal research.

Got a few level ups from an otherwise boring fight.

I'm leaving Ailing Slash at level 9 for now, since level 10 makes the TP cost jump to 24.

Ursa unlocked Preemptive Roar, a passive that gives Ursa a chance to automatically cast Beast Roar when a fight starts. Very useful against random encounters and bosses where you don't want your Beast to take a turn setting up Self-Defense. I won't be getting it for a bit, though.

Another level in Freeze Sabre for Ranger.

And another level in Shelter Song for Milly.

Wait. ...I hear a bear from behind that door.

SYSTEM: You remain vigilant for some time, but the sound does not reoccur. You can't be certain if it's hiding from you or waiting for a chance to strike... Part of you wants to leave the room now, and part of you wants to proceed with caution.
Whatever's in here is scared. Everyone, advance...

SYSTEM: Apparently scared by your drawn weapons, the source of the noise flees deep into the forest. You sheathe your weapons and look around. Something has fallen to the floor... The unseen creature must have dropped it. You stow the unexpected bounty in your bag.

Tricolor Fruit is a rare Take material. Pretty nice freebie, especially given that it sells for 250en.

Uh-oh.

Blindly having your Beast spam Hit-Taker really isn't that great of an idea.

Nadia's faster than Milly is, so I can revive Ursa and then heal her near-immediately.

That's the nice part about having two really fast supports, you can break out any items you need before an enemy acts (usually).

Like I said, Giant Stomp hurts enough that we'd be in serious trouble if there were any enemies besides the Giant Moa.

That's enough being stomped on for one day, thank you!

This is the downside to not having Realga in the party and not having any War Heal skills on Colette: if the party takes heavy damage, we have to burn through lots of Medicas to treat it. At least having Ursa tank everything means I just have to heal her.

A pretty simple puzzle with Tree Sponges. Just wait for a gap between the two Tree Sponges, which'll come eventually.

Funnily enough, this same puzzle was used in EO4 too...in the postgame stratum. :v:

Hmm... What're these FOEs waiting for?
An ental for your thoughts?
People only go back and forth like that if they're waiting for something. Like a delivery from the mailman.
Something tells me monsters don't get mail, Ranger.

There's treasure where the Tree Sponge is walking. I can sense it.

To our left is a treasure chest, right at the end of this Tree Sponge's patrol path.

We move when the Tree Sponge is at that position...

And get something that's basically worth nothing. Insight Melody (what's on this Grimoire) is a Troubador skill that increases your party's hit rate.

More importantly, though--notice that there's no one-way shortcuts out of this path.

Okay, there appears to be no way to get out of this situation through the Labyrinth itself. Where is the Ariadne Thread, Milly?
Calm down, it's right...

...uh.
Great. Fantastic. Marvelous. We have no way out of here!

WELP. Always make 100% sure you actually have an Ariande Thread, folks!

Is this truly the end...?

I'm not going to post the Tree Sponge's full stats. All you need to see is this:

Urgh...rr...
Me and my laziness...

The spirits...weep for me...
Ow.

That was a...stupid way to die... Ugh...

So this is what being dead feels like. Can I be a ghost now?

Had to happen eventually. Sometimes game overs in EO are the result of the games pulling crap the player couldn't really have seen coming (more common in EO1 and 2 than the later ones), sometimes it's the result of the player getting cocky and overextending...and sometimes it's just the player's idiocy, as seen here.

It's tempting to either switch the DS off and go do something else (EO1-3) or slam the Home button and go play another game (EO4, EOU, EO2U), but don't.

Because of this. Even as far back as EO1, when you game over, the game gives you the chance to save your map data. What this means is:
  • The game saves any new modifications to your maps. This includes filling in floor tiles or changing the color, drawing in new walls, placing new icons down, etc.
  • The game saves any new "discovered" tiles.
  • The game does NOT save any actual actions you did in the Labyrinth. All shortcuts, treasure chests, and Floor Jump unlocks are reset when you load the game.
  • Nothing in the Monstrous Codex or Item Compendium is saved. If you encountered any new monsters or got new items, they are reset when you load the game.

Letting you save your map data is basically EO's way of telling you "okay, you screwed up. Now that you know better, try not to let it happen again."

...No?

Okay.

Alright, let's try that again.

I like exploring better, anyway.

Let's just pretend that never happened, okay?

Aside from rectifying my mistake.

Ranger, what are you doing? What are you drawing? We haven't even started exploring the floor yet.
...None of you remember what just happened? We all died to a Tree Sponge and then I turned time back?
What the hell are you talking about?

I'll skip over getting back to where we were, since there's basically nothing interesting about this time around.

Here! The Thread's right here!
Oh, thank gods. Good call on buying that Thread, Ranger.

Yeah, unless you can kill the Tree Sponge, the only way out of getting that Insight Melody Grimoire is either suiciding on the Tree Sponge (which isn't really a way out), using an Ariadne Thread, or coming back once you have Floor Jump enabled for 6F.

I make a quick stop at Sitoth to unload what I got after redoing my progress.

Lactarius Staff is unlocked by selling 1 Open Cap. It provides +2 TEC. Decent for Medics and Alchemists, although it's probably not worth upgrading to if you have one of the staves that gives +1 TEC and some extra TP from the 1st Stratum.

Kurodachi is unlocked by selling 1 Iron Toenail. If you're using the Fushuu, it gives a whopping +2 ATK instead of the Fushuu's +10 TP. I'll pass.

Red Whip is unlocked by selling 1 Scarlet Vine. It's wholly unremarkable.

Life Belt is unlocked by selling 1 Ostrich Tendon. It gives +20 HP. Could be pretty useful on a Beast--it'd translate to +60 HP during Desperation.

Therica As are unlocked by selling 1 Mint Leaf. I already explained what they do back in Ginnungagap, but for a quick refresher: consumables that purge all binds on one ally.

The single-target Jars are unlocked by selling 1 Tricolor Fruit. They don't really do enough damage to justify using unless you have classes like Medics or Hexers who can run out of stuff to do for a while.

I learned my lesson, don't worry.

Abigail starts talking to us when we leave the store.

...It's amazing, isn't it? You got that flower as a present for the old lady, and now it'll be helping you. And not only that, the new medicine will help everyone feel so much better, too! It's wonderful...isn't it?
In some ways, yeah.
Eheheh, s-sorry. It just makes me really happy... I'll ask for help again if anything comes up, but please don't push yourself, okay?

And now that the quest's over, here's Abigail's 2nd Stratum cafe dialogue.

It seems like everyone's talking about FOEbucks, and wondering what kind of new dishes they'll have. The thing I hear the most is...usually something like, "I never expected that would actually be edible!" ...Th-That's actually a little scary.

Oh, yeh're back. I take it everythin' went awright...? Ey, what's with those dopey grins? Haw! Let me guess, the Trader's little lady thanked yeh with one'a those huge smiles of hers.
How'd you guess?
Listen. What yeh found out there? That ain't just helpin' yeh guys. Little bits an' pieces here and there, even just information...it all adds up. An' we can use it to make everyone's lives better. I mean, that's how we ended up with good food...strong medicine...oh, and hard drinks! All 'cause of little things. Never forget that feelin' of gratittude. ...Whoa, I sounded real deep for a second there! Guess I'm a drunken master. Haw! Who knows how many lives yeh folks are gonna end up savin'... Go on, be proud. Yeh deserve this!

Cass tends to ramble even for small quests like this. It's kind of a pain to transcribe that much text for such a minor quest, but oh well.

One of the one-panel comics that was published on EO2's Japanese and English websites was entirely about making fun of Cass's rambling. :v:

I forgot to actually use Nadia's level up until much later.

No-no-no, this is the worst possible time!

This is legitimately the worst possible situation to start a random battle in. Remember that FOEs can join in on fights in progress!

Giant Shroom
HP: 154, STR: 11, VIT: 10
Skills:
  • (G) Stunning Spores
Drops:
  • Normal: Open Cap
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Stab, Bash, Ice, Volt
  • Weak: Cut, Fire
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Resist: Paralysis

A mushroom monstrosity whose poison-filled cap can emit a paralyzing toxin.

I wouldn't normally dedicate a Force Break to two Giant Shrooms, but I'd really not take any chances on the Tree Sponge horning in. The paralysis is usually annoying enough, but it makes Tree Sponges even worse. (Although, going by past events, I shouldn't really be concerned about that part.)

The other Take point of the floor.

We're nearly done with the floor here. What we have just ahead is four Tree Sponges, all patrolling each side of a square.

Going straight down there is impossible, since there's no cover from the Tree Sponge.

There is cover for the upper Tree Sponge's path, however. Just walk back and forth here for a bit...

And we're clear to go.

Same deal for the next one.

The way out's over here! Come on!

No. I can smell treasure over there.
Is that another mystic power of yours? Is it granted by that transformation?
I think it's just a figure of speech.

One unremarkable fight later, I remember that Nadia got a level up, and put another point in Paralysis Arrow.

Scout Boots massively reduce the amount of damage we take from damage tiles. We'll actually seem them on 8F.

6F complete. (Ignore the small, pointless alcove that's presently unmapped. I do map it shortly after this.)

I take the time to map out a bit of 7F, and then head back to town.

Here's the 7F quests.

Toward a cozier inn:

Ohhh...right, that quest. Haw! It must be tough to be so famous, eh? It's another one from that old bat of an innkeeper. They're looking to remodel the Flaus Inn, and they need some building materials. Yeh can hear the rest of the story at the Inn. G'luck!

A honeyed lure:

Oh, that request! That came from the Hunter's Union. They ain't just hunters, mind yeh. They look after the Labyrinth's plants and animals, too. Sorta...vigilante-types.
They are "forest ranger-types," thank you very much.
Anyhow, they were strollin' through the Labyrinth, and they found some kinda rare bear creature. That bear loves honey. But it's been scarin' off all the other animals from its lair. Wants all the honey for itself, see?
Bears have honey for blood. Makes sense.
The hell did you learn that from?
It's nothin' serious right now, but the animals that need that honey have to go down a floor to look for some more. And if they keep havin' to go down a floor, down another floor... See what I mean? Might eventually show up at our doorstep. These hunters want the bear outta the picture, but they can't find the drat thing. So they put up a request for it. This bear's s'posed to be on the 6th floor, and it usually just tries to scare off anythin' that wanders into its territory. If it can't scare 'em off, it'll try to bait 'em with fruit or somethin', and just lie in wait, all quiet.
Oh, THAT'S what got scared from us getting ready for battle. Didn't realize it was a bear.
But remember, it's still a beastie. If there's somethin' it wants from yeh, it'll pounce without a second thought. That's it. Find its territory on the 6th floor, and throw some honey at it.

Nobody knows how strong the thing is. But yeh lot are stronger than the hunters, so we're countin' on yeh. Right, try not to get killed out there. G'luck!

And lastly...ugh, The beautiful princess:

Hmm...taking that one, eh? It's rougher than it looks. A bit of history to start... Yeh ever heard of the Master Craftsman?
Yeah. Got a few of his works in a...business deal a while back.
He lived in Lagaard long ago, and he was so talented, he even made the Duke's throne. His final piece was a chess set.
Is chess a type of dinner table arrangement?
What, yeh don't know chess? It's a type of board game, see. There's six types of pieces in chess, and 32 pieces all told. Lots of craftsmen like to give their own special touch to the pieces. Some collect 'em just as art. It's the same for this Master Craftsman's pieces... Yeh get the drift, eh? One of the nobles 'round here is after the most important piece--the Princess. It's a rare piece, so yeh could try to find it on yer own, or wait for some collector to sell theirs off... Yeh can take the quest if yeh want, but yeh should keep in mind that it won't be easy to get all the pieces, okay? G'luck with this one!

Ha ha, very funny, Cass. What he actually means by this is "gently caress you, this quest is going to taunt you all the way until 29F." We are not going to be finishing The beautiful princess any time in the near future.

The bar patrons. The Extravagantly-dressed man shows up as part of The beautiful princess:

Hmhmhmhm... Truly, the goldsmith's creations are works of art... And the most valuable of them all, the lovely Princess. What beauty, what elegance...! Hmhmhmhmhmhm...
Hey. Is that the Master Craftsman's Princess piece?
That's correct...but who are you?
Guild Lumen. There is a quest for that particular piece. We desire it, as a result.
What? A request for the Princess piece...the very one crafted by the legendary goldsmith? So you're saying you'd like me to simply give this piece to you! Is that it?
That's not what we're--
Ha! If this is a joke, I fail to see the humor! Do you have any idea how much this piece is worth?
You bet your rear end I do. What do you want to trade for it?
A trade? I sincerely doubt you would have anything of equal worth. Although...if you brought all pieces other than the Princess, then I'd be interested, hmm? ...But of course, that would be impossible. Ahah, hah hah hah!
You...! Ugh, I hate smug rich types.
Unless we can find another Princess piece, we have no choice but to comply with his trade.

With that slap in the face in mind, here's a thing regarding quests I haven't shown yet. If you go to Report results, and select a quest you haven't finished yet...

You can cancel the request. And good thing, too, because all The beautiful princess would do is take up space in our quest log (we can only have five active quests at a time). We'll be getting the first proper quest in this long, tedious trade-up on 8F.

Anyway, before we talk to the barflies, here's Cass's 7F dialogue:

By the way... Yeh know I'd always appreciate some souvenirs from the Labyrinth any day, right?
Souveniers, hm? What've you got in mind? I can probably guess.
What kind of souvenirs...? Well, yeh know. Fruits made from gems, bird nests made outta gold... Eh? They're all precious materials? 'Course they are. Why would I want something that ain't worth a fortune!? Are yeh lots fresh from the crib? Money is power! Haw haw haw!

And now, the bar patrons. Dulcet-voiced caster:

Oh... You're the members of the Lumen guild, right? My brother and I have heard a lot about you. Oh, right. If you're going to explore the second stratum, do be careful of the Raging Boars. They tend to charge, very quickly... But it doesn't have good aim. With a bit of care and luck, you should be fine...though I usually blind them, just to be safe.
Good to see another person who follows the school of "go for the monsters' eyes" tactics.
After all...my poor brother has enough to worry about without some beastly pig charging at him...

Exhausted Tramonte:

Ghh... Urrrggh... Can't see... I can't see... I can't...see...anything...
...I've got an idea to help fix this! Cass, gimme some mint julep soda.
Wh--!?
Here you go!
Gah! My eyes! My eyes! Wait, it was y-you!? Don't you think it's a little harsh to throw soda on someone when she's down on the ground?
You looked like you were going blind, though.
...Well, it got me seeing again. Hey, though, this drink actually smells kind of nice. I like this kind of stuff... *sigh* The forest was pretty rough this time, too. I just collapsed when I got back. Hmm? What I'm looking for this time? It's this Crazed Bulb. You can get it from the root of Fanged Vine, if you defeat it while it's confused. Lilly...she's into this kinda weird stuff, see. I hope she likes this one, too...
I'm sure she appreciates the lengths you go to for this.

A conditional I have no way of getting unless Sophie's in the party. Magnificent.

Haughty doctor:

I'd say I'm rather unexciting, and my methods of exploration are thus similarly unexciting. That's simply my way, but... Tch. I was merely walking on my way, but they still shot their blasted flame breath at me... The force of the breath blows you back, and the fire sets the roads ablaze... I...I truly despise it. Oh, did you know? The burning roads look dangerous, but you can walk through it unharmed, actually. ...Though it is, of course, unreasonably hot.

Foreshadowing something on 7F here.

Marion's 7F dialogue.

If you're that skilled, you probably don't need my advice...but I'll give you a word of warning, regardless. Strength isn't simply measured by how many enemies you've defeated. What's important is that you survive. Insight, analysis, quick decision making, and the ability to act when needed. If you're lacking any of these, you won't succeed. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid unnecessary risks.

Dubois's 7F dialogue.

...By the way, are you aware of the legend surrounding High Lagaard?
Yeah. Something about a great flood taking over the Earth, minus a floating castle and some islands?
It is said that long ago, the Duke's ancestor descended to the land from the floating castle.
Oh. Wrong myth, then.
Admittedly, it sounds like just another fanciful myth, hm? But nobody knows the truth of this country's founding... All we know is that the story has been passed down for a great many generations. I bid you farewell, then. I look forward to your further endeavors.

Regina's 7F dialogue.

Haha, you think it's strange? Sure, maybe, but it does make me feel good.

Before we talk to Abigail, I sell the materials we got since the last stop at Sitoth.

Kora is unlocked by selling 3 Iron Toenails. I'm still sticking with Hrothgar's Sword, but not for long.

Bravants are unlocked by selling 1 Mugwort. They're consumables that buff one ally's attack for a few turns. I prefer to use player skills like Attack Order or Warrior Song.

Anyway, Abigail's 7F dialogue.

If I remember correctly...you're staying at the Flaus Inn, right? I actually know the innkeeper. I see her a lot whenever I go shopping. That's kind of a funny coincidence! You've already met Quona, right? She's so small and cute... She almost looks like a doll! It looks like Quona has a lot of fun when she's with all of you. When you have some free time, would you go see her again?

Hanna starts talking to us as soon as we enter, because of Toward a cozier inn.

Cass probably told you most of it, but basically, we're planning to renovate the inn. I know the Labyrinth has some good stuff in it, so I thought we might use that... Listen carefully, because here's the list of what we're looking for. We need: 2 lengths of Scarlet Vine, and 1 piece of Hardwood. Got that? I think you can get them all on the 2nd Stratum. No problem for you, right? When you have all of them, just bring them to the bar and the carpenters will collect them. Now then, off with you!

And because the quest overrides Hanna's normal 7F dialogue, here's Quona's:

...My mom told me...that she was going to give me more responsibilities at the inn... ...I'm happy that she's letting me do more things...b-but the other explorers are kind of scary sometimes...

Rea fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 2, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never forget the ariadne thread.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tree Sponges are where FOEs stop messing around.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh. You didn't try just transforming Ranger and have him attack with just his waves, at least? You might have had more of a chance there.

Also I forget, but does Persona Q have Miiverse support?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh. You didn't try just transforming Ranger and have him attack with just his waves, at least? You might have had more of a chance there.

Tree Sponges have 4808 HP. If I did a Ice Wave -> Accelerate -> Ice Wave + Ice Wave + Akashic Nova, I don't think it would've killed it--each Wave and Akashic Nova would've had to deal ~1200 damage each to kill the Tree Sponge. Tree Sponges are weak to Fire, but I think Freeze Sabre being level 9 compared to Flame Sabre being level 1 offsets the difference.

Also yeah, Persona Q has Miiverse support. I would not advise doing an LP of it that way, though--consider that I take well over 100 screenshots for a single update, and Miiverse limits you to 100 screenshots per game. You'd be spending a lot of time deleting stuff just for one update at a time.

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 21, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Apparently while it has Miiverse support, it doesn't actually let you take screenshots of the game without a old 3DS and doing some sort of exploit. So a Miiverse LP of that isn't possible for me, unfortunately.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

So a Miiverse LP of that isn't possible for me, unfortunately.
Why do you hate yourself?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Txn posted:

Why do you hate yourself?

I mean, Persona Q is a decent game...up until Inaba Pride. It has a ton of weird design decisions (I still don't know why nearly every enemy has either a weakness to Light or Dark instant death), and Panic trivializes literally everything in the game (including the Clockwork God and Zeus), but it's still decent for the first 3/5 of the game.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

I was talking more about the Miiverse screenshot part than Persona Q.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Considering how much dialgoue is in Persona Q, I'd not recommend doing a SSLP of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
One thing I like about the Untold Story mode is that the different characters have different lines to say when attacking, using certain skills, using items, etc. Really helps establish personalities without using up 20 lines of dialogue to say what a few in-battle lines can say in five words or less. You agree?

• Locked thread