Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Update: The Seanchan appear to be jerks and I don't like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Seanchan are actually Cool and Good and Get Things Done.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

How are u posted:

I think "Seanchans make the trains run on time" was a theme in the latter books, so there's that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

How are u posted:

The whole empire riding on the back of slaves bit ain't so cool, tho.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Pash posted:

Basically the only fun Aes Sedai to read about was Verin... so having them continue to do dumb things with the bowl of wind was hardly surprising... if still dumb...

While Verin was amazing, I definitely enjoyed reading about Elaida's continuous mistake. She's just like Cersei, so wrapped up in herself that she can't tell that she's ruining everything.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Hamish posted:

While Verin was amazing, I definitely enjoyed reading about Elaida's continuous mistake. She's just like Cersei, so wrapped up in herself that she can't tell that she's ruining everything.

I just wish her comeuppance didn't result in the Seanchan getting all of Egwene's weaves.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ShadowCatboy posted:

I just wish her comeuppance didn't result in the Seanchan getting all of Egwene's weaves.

Travel is the big one, the Seanchan didn't have any trouble picking up and using various damage weaves. And I would surmise that universal Travel will do more for diplomacy and peaceful relations in this era than not.

E: well that and nobody being in any position to start any poo poo against anyone else plus the Aiel, the devastation of Seanchan ensures that Fortuona can't really go back to resupply and reinforce

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 20, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

broken clock opsec posted:

Travel is the big one, the Seanchan didn't have any trouble picking up and using various damage weaves. And I would surmise that universal Travel will do more for diplomacy and peaceful relations in this era than not.

Yeah the Seanchan are probably the best people to figure out the whole "Oh Empress this door-to-anywhere magic is the best communication tool ever", which would have averted, like, half the crises throughout the series. Instead the Black Tower got closest with their far ranging recruiting parties.

Everyone else be all "okay I'm gating you 50 miles north because I can't bear to possibly slice a farmer's fence in half and I'll talk to you in a year and a half instead of checking in every 48 hours bye"

Or the Aei Sadei. Who use traveling to go back to old school pigeon cotes with all the vulnerabilities thereof instead of maybe traveling to the agents or to handlers in central locations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Yorkshire Tea posted:

They can't do that without literally countermanding a command from the Amyrlin seat. It's the same reason Elayne is able to argue for Nynaeve and her's authority over the Aes Sedai.

I think a 26 year old and an 18 year old bargaining with people who know they are the only people in the world who can provide the required service are probably going to get taken to town. Hell, even Merana (who is actually surprisingly competent) gets taken to town without Rand there to gently caress everyone up with his Ta'veren powers.

Sure they can. They didn't have the "this letter lets you act in my capacity whenever gently caress yall" letter from Siuan anymore. They had a "find the bowl of winds" mission.

Also Merana was taken hostage and threatened with bodily harm, yay trading. She should've pulled the "You were holding me captive for days, this agreement is null and void also as the dragons appointed ambassador this is the same as assaulting his person. Here have some aiel"

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Pash posted:

I honestly am still not entirely sure if Book 11 was good or if it was just so much better than the drivel that was book 10 that I thought it was amazing... but ya... It's all uphill from book 10.

Book 11 is when Jordan gives the massive domino stack that he spent 10 books setting up a nice flick. It really is a shame that he couldn't finish the series off himself completely, but I'm still very happy with what we got.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Book 11 is when Jordan gives the massive domino stack that he spent 10 books setting up a nice flick. It really is a shame that he couldn't finish the series off himself completely, but I'm still very happy with what we got.

Yeah, it was definitely a great opening act to the conclusion and what we got was "good enough". We'll never really know if Jordan would have done it better or not and I don't think Sanderson has gone into much detail on what he did, touched up, or left alone.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jordan would have dragged it out another 3-4 more books, for better or worse. Probably better for the most part.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, it was definitely a great opening act to the conclusion and what we got was "good enough". We'll never really know if Jordan would have done it better or not and I don't think Sanderson has gone into much detail on what he did, touched up, or left alone.

The Black Tower story was almost 100% Sanderson, the opening to Towers of Midnight was entirely Jordan (which should be noticeable due to the different feel of combat), the Hinderstrap story was entirely Jordan, as was the Aelfinn and Elfinn world in ToM. There are some other bits that Sanderson mentioned, but he certainly hasn't said it all.

I'm ok with not knowing.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I thought I read an interview that said hinderstrap was sanderson, to show the effects of balefire on the pattern.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I kind of like that there's some ambiguity in the bubbles of evil and other weird poo poo that happens (man vomits beetles until he turns into a sack of empty skin) where any or all of it could be because of balefire and "bubbles of evil" might not actually be a thing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I always thought when Rand went out to the rebels outside of cairhien and met Toram and Fain that what happened was a bubble of evil.

But that was Fain right?

Also apparently you can read path of daggers in 8 hours if you skip the boring parts. There are some very good parts though. Hunting black ajah, fighting against seanchan.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well the first time we see one is in book 4 and that's in the aftermath of Moiraine having just blasted the Forsaken that had set up shot there.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I'm rereading and its hilarious bow much nyaneve fucks things up. In Tarabon she sets off a civil war, in gheldien she sets off a war. Just back to back books she is directly causing riots. Also gently caress Egwene. Look at me everything goes my way no matter what

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Just flicked through the Companion in a bookshop and it is absolute dreck. Did you know that Moridin was 'very intelligent and damned clever'?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They really needed the time to touch up the companion huh.

It's pretty interesting to think of all the Bubble of Evil poo poo as being caused by Balefire. Not sure if it applies to the time they all get attacked by bedsheets though... but there might have been some Balefiring going on then too. Man, Jordan was really good with "mindfuck/time-loop/Mirror-images/Playing Cards attacks"-scenes (maybe his more pulpy-Conan background there).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pimpmust posted:

It's pretty interesting to think of all the Bubble of Evil poo poo as being caused by Balefire. Not sure if it applies to the time they all get attacked by bedsheets though... but there might have been some Balefiring going on then too. Man, Jordan was really good with "mindfuck/time-loop/Mirror-images/Playing Cards attacks"-scenes (maybe his more pulpy-Conan background there).

Moraine used Balefire in The Dragon Reborn to kill the dark hounds, so it could work timeline wise

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pimpmust posted:

I thought Jordan was pretty good at getting into someone's head. Like Rands ongoing interactions with lews therin make sense in his head but then looking from outside you see how insane he is. Or mat having a nice game of cards and then out of loving nowhere hurling daggers through his cards and screaming at the top of his lungs.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yes, the psychological immersion is one of the higher points of the series, and sometimes a weakness ("alien" thought process depending on the reader/character).

On the earlier Aiel chat Topic, something not bought up is that Jordan based them quite heavily on the Zulu - ritualized warfare/raiding, but also silent bad asses with spears that broke with their earlier "bloodless" style of warfare when westerners enter the picture - and certain native american societies with the touch honor thing (and cotton, maize etc). A little jewish and muslim parts sprinkled on top for background stories/cultures.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
I finally decided to pick WoT up again and I'm on book 4 (right after cold rocks got attacked) and drat the Aiel are by far the most badass/interesting thing in these books so far. I hope we get lots and lots more Aiel. Meanwhile Perrin/Nynaeve continue to annoy the poo poo out of me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Stereo posted:

Meanwhile Perrin/Nynaeve continue to annoy the poo poo out of me.
That doesn't go away. Nyaneve has her moments and Perrin is cool in books 4,6, and 12-14 imo

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Nynaeve becomes the best of the supergirls by the end of the story. She's actually quite likeable there. Unfortunately for Perrin, his girlfriend is central to one of the worst storylines in WoT. The Aiel remain mostly cool, and they feature more or less heavily in all of the remaining books.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Torrannor posted:

Nynaeve becomes the best of the supergirls by the end of the story. She's actually quite likeable there. Unfortunately for Perrin, his girlfriend is central to one of the worst storylines in WoT. The Aiel remain mostly cool, and they feature more or less heavily in all of the remaining books.

I find I really don't mind Faile at all after that storyline though. She's just super helpful afterwards and actually seems to get along with Perrin.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Lord of chaos remains my favorite book in the series. I'm so happy I'm finally to it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Pesmerga posted:

Just flicked through the Companion in a bookshop and it is absolute dreck. Did you know that Moridin was 'very intelligent and damned clever'?

Yup. We now have the Big Black Book of Bad Glossaries to go with the Big White Book of Bad Art.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

fordan posted:

Yup. We now have the Big Black Book of Bad Glossaries to go with the Big White Book of Bad Art.

Yeah but it talks about the age of legends and stuff. So that's cool

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Torrannor posted:

Nynaeve becomes the best of the supergirls by the end of the story. She's actually quite likeable there.
Nynaeve has such a weird character arc. I'm re listening to the audiobooks at work and one of the things that you realize through repetetive exposure is that Nynaeve has basically zero character growth for the first, like, five to seven books -- she eventually does get actual character growth, but it doesn't kick in until at least Moraine's "death" -- but for a while there she possesses the illusion of character growth because of the way situation unfolds. Basically, Nynaeve's response to every possible stimulus for a good two or three thousand pages is to become instantly irrationally angry and to call everyone idiots, it's just that, as the books progress, the reasons for her anger get more and more rational as everyone else starts to actually act like idiots.

Basically:

Book 1: "I hate all Aes Sedai forever because one of them saved me and all my friends from getting killed and the guy I like won't bone me."
Book 2: "I hate all Aes Sedai forever because they keep treating me, a student, like some sort of student or something."
Book 3: "I hate all Aes Sedai forever because I went off like a dumbass and got myself into yet another mess again and got rescued by a man. Also, a couple-few of them did try to kill me."
Book 7: "I hate all Aes Sedai forever because those inept autistic witches failed to come to grips with basic political realities and stuck my friend in a box and rendered themselves impotent through infighting and marooned me on the other side of the world looking for a stupid bowl."
Book 13: "Hey, I just realized that maybe I should try to fix that whole Aes Sedai thing now that I'm on the inside. Who knew?"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I actually give Nyn a lot of slack. Yes she is one dimensional in some ways but! She can only channel when angry. Her entire life has been a process of being angry and saving lives. Then she's in training but can only advance if she's angry as gently caress all the time.

It makes sense that she gets better once she starts being able to channel without being angry.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

She's a lot like the Hulk if you think about it.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yanno, it's been well fleshed for what the inspiration for the Aiel society and all that, but what about all the other nations in Randland?

Like what mixture of analogues would make Arad Domain or Saldaea? Andor sounds like a bit too much of a fanciful England, down to the stuffiness, pasty pale haired nobility, and Camelot-with-a-funny-name for a capital.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 11, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I always figured Cairhien and Tear to be France and Spain analogues respectively, but frankly there doesn't seem to be a straight 1:1 comparison for any of the nations - Jordan seemed to like to pick and choose from various like-societies - which made them more interesting imo

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Lord of Chaos is good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RC Cola posted:

Lord of Chaos is good.

It is. The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven and Lord of Chaos are probably the best Wheel of Time books. The pace slows down noticeably in the later books, though there are still brilliant scenes in them, like Swowan Night in A Crown of Swords, The Law in Path of Daggers or With the Choedan Kal in Winter's Heart.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JawKnee posted:

I always figured Cairhien and Tear to be France and Spain analogues respectively, but frankly there doesn't seem to be a straight 1:1 comparison for any of the nations - Jordan seemed to like to pick and choose from various like-societies - which made them more interesting imo

I kinda thought Cairhien was a bit of a mix of French and Japanese social elements (especially with the con and the powdered heads), with Tear being god-knows-what, not merchant princes(es) like Arad Domain, but some odd mix of some super oppressive caste-like culture with a Mediterranean climate.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Arad Doman is Influenced by China - you'll note they eat Chinese food with chopsticks and are described as Asian in appearance, good traders who will rip you off ( but not as good as the sea folk), and their women are particularly seductive - all oriental stereotypes.

That being said, Shara is more like China in other respects ( socially and politically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The Lord Bude posted:

Arad Doman is Influenced by China - you'll note they eat Chinese food with chopsticks and are described as Asian in appearance, good traders who will rip you off ( but not as good as the sea folk), and their women are particularly seductive - all oriental stereotypes.

That being said, Shara is more like China in other respects ( socially and politically).

The Domani are pretty interesting in that they're basically people from the Indo-Chinese border, in that the way their attitudes to people are typically more Indian as are their looks, but the stereotypes that develop as well as other aspects end up being more Chinese.

• Locked thread